Why is Dungey so happy now?

McG194
8/22/2022 12:46pm
I think I have the answer.

If you go back in time to when he retired, Ryan was battling with a young hungry Eli Tomac who seemed to be willing to risk way more than Dungey was to get the win. Dungey didn't seem as happy because all that he accepted from himself was a championship. Not willing to risk life and limb the only option was for Dungey to retire.

Fast forward five years and he is at peace with where he is at and doesn't look at results being championship or failure. He can go out and go 4-4 for 5th overall and be pleased with the progress he is making. It seemed while he was retired, he was not comfortable with who he was and had no outlet for his competitive fire. Dungey is happier now because he has realized that plain and simple, he is a racer. Still may be one of the fastest racers in the world but he seems to have realized that being a racer isn't what you do but who you are. Racers race, it's hardwired into the DNA.

Armchair psychology is worth exactly what you paid for it, but I think coming back to racing will help Dungey for the rest of his life and he is not done by a long shot. I wouldn't be shocked to see 2 or 3 more seasons out of him.
|
SGoodman
8/22/2022 1:01pm
but who will be willing to hire him? Dungey is a top shelf rider, meaning- when people hire him, they are hiring him to win championships, not podium, not to get top tens... he does not seem to have the ability to podium anymore... and can anyone honestly see Dungey beating Jett anytime in the future? Or Chase? Or DF14? Or ET3? Or Webb?

Dungey seems to be a 5-10th place guy now days... and there are plenty of those out there at a much lower price point.... Love Dungey.... but age helps in some areas (racecraft) and hurts in others (going hard after the 20 minute mark)...
zookrider62!
8/22/2022 1:04pm
if anyone hired and paid Dungey to be a championship contender, they should be looking for employment elsewhere.
TogaSet
8/22/2022 1:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2022 1:08pm
Dungey is indeed happy to be out there I agree. But he’s not happy losing no effin way. He’s just wise enough not to show it on camera.
fourfourone
8/22/2022 1:08pm
SGoodman wrote:
but who will be willing to hire him? Dungey is a top shelf rider, meaning- when people hire him, they are hiring him to win championships...
but who will be willing to hire him? Dungey is a top shelf rider, meaning- when people hire him, they are hiring him to win championships, not podium, not to get top tens... he does not seem to have the ability to podium anymore... and can anyone honestly see Dungey beating Jett anytime in the future? Or Chase? Or DF14? Or ET3? Or Webb?

Dungey seems to be a 5-10th place guy now days... and there are plenty of those out there at a much lower price point.... Love Dungey.... but age helps in some areas (racecraft) and hurts in others (going hard after the 20 minute mark)...
The rest of the current KTM factory riders are 5-10 place guys...

The Shop

DanielsenMX
8/22/2022 1:10pm
SGoodman wrote:
but who will be willing to hire him? Dungey is a top shelf rider, meaning- when people hire him, they are hiring him to win championships...

He can put the bike up into the top five consistently, I'd say that's worth something to some teams.
McG194
8/22/2022 1:15pm
SGoodman wrote:

If Dungey can't get a job, then I quit.
Toby259
8/22/2022 1:17pm
He seems to be KTM's top guy at the moment in the 450 outdoors series - there has to be some satisfaction in that. He is doing a lot better than most people expected, mixing it up with the top guys from time to time. Might be a different story if CW2 and MM25 were racing the series.
Bradshaw Fan
8/22/2022 1:18pm
Dungey is the best rider KTM has in the US. If he decides to race supercross he will do better than the current riders KTM has. He is smart, marketable, and fast.
McG194
8/22/2022 1:19pm
TogaSet wrote:
Dungey is indeed happy to be out there I agree. But he’s not happy losing no effin way. He’s just wise enough not to show it...
Dungey is indeed happy to be out there I agree. But he’s not happy losing no effin way. He’s just wise enough not to show it on camera.
There is a big difference between being happy losing and being okay with working through the process. He seems to be okay with getting back where he belongs and if he isn't at the tip of the spear yet he sees what it takes to get there. He may not be happy to be losing but I'm sure he loves to keep Tomac behind him in the final moto. That's being a racer.
TbonesPop
Any job / career move can turn into a stress filled grind, even riding dirt bikes. Braking some bones in his back was a wake up call. Burning out on the travel schedule and needing a good long break is understandable. I don't think there is a need to over think it.

I'd bet it was: Injury was a wake up call, feeling the need to start a family and be there for his wife and kids during that critical time, plus the constant travel and grind got to him and he pulled the plug. He had a nice long break from it and is now in a place where everything fits for him and his family. He's still in great shape and can hang with the best in the world. Money's not an issue.

Just go have fun and do his best.
SGoodman wrote:

Dungey brings a lot of knowledge to the sport and can really help improve a team through bike set-up, development. You think he’s just at KTM to get motos in? They needed help, and he was the man for the job.
FreshTopEnd
8/22/2022 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2022 1:23pm
Having a broken neck isn't as fresh in in his and his wife's mind, so there's that, too. Maybe Rodger isn't as demanding now.
peelout
8/22/2022 1:24pm
beautiful young family, a ton of money in the bank, and still one of the fastest dudes on the planet.

the dude has plenty to be happy about.
mimafia
8/22/2022 1:42pm
SGoodman wrote:

Are you sure about that? There are only 4 racers who can win a 450 championship right now. And that's arguable. Lot's more than that are signed to teams.
jjavaman
8/22/2022 1:48pm
SGoodman wrote:

Well he beat Sexton in the 1st moto and the two other guys who are racing in the 2nd moto and if Webb was riding outdoors I’m sure he’d be beating him all the time.
TbonesPop
8/22/2022 1:52pm
SGoodman wrote:

jjavaman wrote:
Well he beat Sexton in the 1st moto and the two other guys who are racing in the 2nd moto and if Webb was riding outdoors...
Well he beat Sexton in the 1st moto and the two other guys who are racing in the 2nd moto and if Webb was riding outdoors I’m sure he’d be beating him all the time.
He really is KTMs best rider outdoors hands down. I say let AP ride both SX/MX. Let Marv and Coop ride SX. Let Dunge represent outdoors. I know there are talks about teams, budgets, etc. But does anyone really question is KTM doesn't have the budget to pull that off? Lol. Other teams, ya I could see budget being an issue. KTM, nah
Teej317
8/22/2022 2:05pm
Dunge has got his priorities right. He keeps God first and he doesn’t let moto be all consuming. Plus, Keefer is right about home life and my guy has it dialed in 🤘🏽
KONG
8/22/2022 2:43pm
He can put the bike up into the top five consistently, I'd say that's worth something to some teams.
Suzuki should hire him back.
Laughing
davistld01
8/22/2022 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2022 2:55pm
Might be the bike that's limiting the rider. Dungey has too much class to badmouth the latest KTM on camera or in the media...but you don't hear everybody raving about it like you used to...there has to be some reason for that. He's not so old that he can't run with Tomac, Anderson & even Sexton...and he's proven it. Like has been said already, not just anybody can basically come off a 5-year vacation and go 5-5 against the fastest guys out there. I believe he's happy to be where he is...but the Champion inside him has to be a little frustrated as well.

Pit Row

davis224
8/22/2022 3:29pm
SGoodman wrote:

I'm guessing you're relishing all replies/downvotes as attention to your 7th username, but I feel like I need to point out he literally just beat Eli straight up when he needed points the most. He has the speed it just hasn't translated into an overall result yet.
TeamGreen
8/22/2022 4:54pm
peelout wrote:
beautiful young family, a ton of money in the bank, and still one of the fastest dudes on the planet. the dude has plenty to be...
beautiful young family, a ton of money in the bank, and still one of the fastest dudes on the planet.

the dude has plenty to be happy about.
And he’s got some sparking coffee, too!
NotCore
8/22/2022 6:03pm
Correct perspective is the basis for joy and happiness.
ryanxmx31
8/22/2022 6:47pm
His bike actually looked pretty good this weekend, better than tomacs bike I thought. Hampshire too seems like they are figuring it out.
Hasletjoe
8/22/2022 7:04pm
I think Dungey enjoys the challenge. Getting the most out of himself and the bike that he can. I would guess he is very competitive and enjoys competing as well. All that with no absolute pressure to win. While Chase is doing fantastic, there is immense pressure for him to win. Tomac to a lesser degree. There is a certain satisfaction to improving knowing it is a direct result of his efforts. And he does have class in spades! Ride on RD5!
reynardfan1
8/22/2022 8:54pm
SGoodman wrote:

Dude you clearly don’t know a thing about this sport…

Your statement is ‘don’t hire any rider who can’t battle up front for the championship’

Your dig on dungey qualifies that statement…

So literally only 3, 21, 23, and maybe 14 are the only ones who should have jobs?!

You really think GasGas believes in Jb51 producing titles??? Lol

This is about the dumbest comment and people say it on here all the time when they don’t like a certain ride and all it does is prove to be a ridiculous tactic
8/22/2022 10:02pm
hes happy because hes not on the couch doing nothing or working a 9-5

Gungadin
8/22/2022 10:24pm
SGoodman wrote:

jjavaman wrote:
Well he beat Sexton in the 1st moto and the two other guys who are racing in the 2nd moto and if Webb was riding outdoors...
TbonesPop wrote:
He really is KTMs best rider outdoors hands down. I say let AP ride both SX/MX. Let Marv and Coop ride SX. Let Dunge represent outdoors...
He really is KTMs best rider outdoors hands down. I say let AP ride both SX/MX. Let Marv and Coop ride SX. Let Dunge represent outdoors. I know there are talks about teams, budgets, etc. But does anyone really question is KTM doesn't have the budget to pull that off? Lol. Other teams, ya I could see budget being an issue. KTM, nah
I doubt that KTM has any spare money at all for MX. MotoGP is an order of magnitude or 2 more expensive.

Post a reply to: Why is Dungey so happy now?

The Latest

The Latest