Why is Chad Reed still racing???

3/1/2018 9:20am
Because he can??? Mother fucker makes mains consistently off the couch. How many privateers are there for the last 10 years that may or may not...
Because he can??? Mother fucker makes mains consistently off the couch. How many privateers are there for the last 10 years that may or may not make the mains? Why are they still racing? Cuz they can. Fuck off.

I work with a few people that suck at their job and shouldn’t be working. Not even a good comparison because reed is good at his job.

Actually why is OP still posting on vital? You just get in the way of decent threads to read.
Turbojez wrote:
OP actually posted a video in which the question is answered. Thread title is pretty much a rhetorical question.
OP actually posted a video in which the question is answered. Thread title is pretty much a rhetorical question.
Holy shit, you’re right. I redact my previous opinion on the subject matter. I yield the remaining time of thread to the other gentlevitardsmen.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
3/1/2018 9:31am
because he can? and wants to?

Did we forget how John Dowd raced the outdoors full time till he was 36? and for multiple years afterward he still showed up at Southwick for fun (and still scored a podium at 39yrs old in 2009)

At this point I would love to see reed out there for a few more years as long as he is having fun and isnt hung up on results and stays away from injuries
Turbojez
3/1/2018 2:09pm
Holy shit, you’re right. I redact my previous opinion on the subject matter. I yield the remaining time of thread to the other gentlevitardsmen.
All good mate, I did the same - wrote my first comment before checking the OP's post... Grinning
You handled it like a pro though!!!
3/1/2018 3:03pm
I find myself questioning his motives to be honest.

He claims to still be out there doing it because he loves it, but in the same breath he seems totally unhappy with the whole affair. I understand he's having a rough year, but still, it doesn't look much at all like he's loving it one bit.

I think ego has a lot more to do with it that he might let on. Of the three titular riders from the RC/Stew/Reed era, I think it's fair to say he has the least impactful legacy by a fair margin. It seems like he feels he still has something to prove to everyone in being the oldest guy to win a race, but I really cannot see him ever winning a race again. And that's no slight on him at all, I just feel like he might never know when to call it quits with ego clouding his judgement.

The Shop

deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
3/1/2018 3:45pm
I dont know why JS7 gets labelled as one of the greatest.
He was by far one of the fastest riders. but How would you describe the back end of his career?
But how come he gets more credit then people like Dungey and RV2?
In 5 years time when a young kid ask who JS7 and what happen to him.. how would you respond.

RC hands down, a legacy and a legend. there is no topic in that.

But reed..? The dudes a legend and one his championships and has beat every single one of the past champions in the past 18 years..
maybe he had his time and won his money. i don't think he has the same goals as before, he could be just racing to set records. but fuck it, why not? another tick in a box.

I honestly get over seeing these threads and hate towards REED.. I don't get it.. yeah he's been in LCQ's and hasn't had his best results..
But he is still in the mains and racing with good people and family around him.
I don't see the issue with him being part of the sport?
3/1/2018 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 4:01pm
I dont know why JS7 gets labelled as one of the greatest. He was by far one of the fastest riders. but How would you describe...
I dont know why JS7 gets labelled as one of the greatest.
He was by far one of the fastest riders. but How would you describe the back end of his career?
But how come he gets more credit then people like Dungey and RV2?
In 5 years time when a young kid ask who JS7 and what happen to him.. how would you respond.

RC hands down, a legacy and a legend. there is no topic in that.

But reed..? The dudes a legend and one his championships and has beat every single one of the past champions in the past 18 years..
maybe he had his time and won his money. i don't think he has the same goals as before, he could be just racing to set records. but fuck it, why not? another tick in a box.

I honestly get over seeing these threads and hate towards REED.. I don't get it.. yeah he's been in LCQ's and hasn't had his best results..
But he is still in the mains and racing with good people and family around him.
I don't see the issue with him being part of the sport?
JS7 does have a legacy, and a bigger one than Reed. He changed the sport. He had a perfect season. He certainly sits above Reed in those stakes.

Dungey and RV are unquestionable talents, and also have better careers in the sport than Reed, but they are from a sightly different era. I know there has been some cross-over, but only tail end. Both are excellent examples of going out on top, which JS7 didn't do.

I don't deny that Reed is a legend of the sport, but he doesn't sit at the top of that legend-pile from his era (let alone all time), and personally from listening to him speak, I think that bugs the fuck out of him and he's still trying to prove himself.

I just hope he achieves what he wants and gets out before he gets hurt.
MX-LIFE.
3/1/2018 4:23pm
Kyle_McNab wrote:
Atleast he loves the sport total opposite of js7...honestly its pretty embrassing how he left all his fans hanging.obviously hes not killing but i mean he...
Atleast he loves the sport total opposite of js7...honestly its pretty embrassing how he left all his fans hanging.obviously hes not killing but i mean he still makes the main easily. If he was 100% i could see him being 5-10 which is fine at his age. True legend
Interesting how much of impact JS7 has had in this sport that even when. The post isn't even about him mention of him Always surfaces! Lol oh I'm a CR fan but I'm a bigger fan of JS7 but mad props to CR for still racing for the love of the sport! I have no issues with JS7 no longer racing but damn these 2guys would set the night on fire racing each other!
3/1/2018 4:43pm
JS7 does have a legacy, and a bigger one than Reed. He changed the sport. He had a perfect season. He certainly sits above Reed in...
JS7 does have a legacy, and a bigger one than Reed. He changed the sport. He had a perfect season. He certainly sits above Reed in those stakes.

Dungey and RV are unquestionable talents, and also have better careers in the sport than Reed, but they are from a sightly different era. I know there has been some cross-over, but only tail end. Both are excellent examples of going out on top, which JS7 didn't do.

I don't deny that Reed is a legend of the sport, but he doesn't sit at the top of that legend-pile from his era (let alone all time), and personally from listening to him speak, I think that bugs the fuck out of him and he's still trying to prove himself.

The only thing I'd question is your idea of RV going out on top especially when you recall his failed effort on the MXGP circuit a few years back. You are right about JS7, don't know what his deal is (does anybody?), he just kind of fizzled out and disappeared without a trace.
JM485
3/1/2018 4:51pm
JS7 does have a legacy, and a bigger one than Reed. He changed the sport. He had a perfect season. He certainly sits above Reed in...

Reed will always have a far better legacy as far as I'm concerned. The guy risked it all to come to a foreign land and believed in himself multiple times throughout his career when the industry had given up on him. You also won't see Reed give his fans a huge middle finger when he decides to exit, he'll give them the thank you they deserve for supporting him over the years and he will get the send off he deserves as well. I don't really care why he's racing to be honest with you, but he is without a doubt the most popular rider out there and consistently gets the loudest crowd feedback year after year, so him showing up and trucking along is definitely making people happy and that's something they won't soon forget.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
3/1/2018 5:07pm
JM485 wrote:
Reed will always have a far better legacy as far as I'm concerned. The guy risked it all to come to a foreign land and believed...
Reed will always have a far better legacy as far as I'm concerned. The guy risked it all to come to a foreign land and believed in himself multiple times throughout his career when the industry had given up on him. You also won't see Reed give his fans a huge middle finger when he decides to exit, he'll give them the thank you they deserve for supporting him over the years and he will get the send off he deserves as well. I don't really care why he's racing to be honest with you, but he is without a doubt the most popular rider out there and consistently gets the loudest crowd feedback year after year, so him showing up and trucking along is definitely making people happy and that's something they won't soon forget.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Dougy1
3/2/2018 4:26am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 4:30am
I find myself questioning his motives to be honest. He claims to still be out there doing it because he loves it, but in the same...
I find myself questioning his motives to be honest.

He claims to still be out there doing it because he loves it, but in the same breath he seems totally unhappy with the whole affair. I understand he's having a rough year, but still, it doesn't look much at all like he's loving it one bit.

I think ego has a lot more to do with it that he might let on. Of the three titular riders from the RC/Stew/Reed era, I think it's fair to say he has the least impactful legacy by a fair margin. It seems like he feels he still has something to prove to everyone in being the oldest guy to win a race, but I really cannot see him ever winning a race again. And that's no slight on him at all, I just feel like he might never know when to call it quits with ego clouding his judgement.
Disagree about the part he's not enjoying it.. if you listen too any interviews lately he's loving it. And admitted he was naive not too have done more training pre straight rhythm. But yeh he has a healthy ego and probably will have separation anxiety when he finally calls it quits. All that attention would be addictive. A win is a stretch yeh, but i just want too point out though , like I mentioned in another thread last week he had 50 sec lap times and the leaders had generally 49. 1-2 sec off pace is pretty dam respectable
mxlegend99
Fantasy
1305th
3/3/2018 7:32pm
He had his best night of the season tonight.

2x top 10s in the mains. And a disappointing finish in the second where he lost a few positions letting the leaders by.

Didn't need an LCQ either. I also think his 9th in Main #3 was most impressive as each main got longer and by the end of main 3 even Anderson looked stuffed.
PJRAUS
3/3/2018 8:02pm
mxlegend99 wrote:
He had his best night of the season tonight. 2x top 10s in the mains. And a disappointing finish in the second where he lost a...
He had his best night of the season tonight.

2x top 10s in the mains. And a disappointing finish in the second where he lost a few positions letting the leaders by.

Didn't need an LCQ either. I also think his 9th in Main #3 was most impressive as each main got longer and by the end of main 3 even Anderson looked stuffed.
Nice for him to get those top 10 finishes and 10th overall.
It will probably be a great encouragement to him
3/3/2018 8:32pm
Couldn't find that "Will Chad get a top 10 this year" thread to bump. Next goal, top 5
lumpy790
3/4/2018 8:35am
CR22 looked stronger and more confident in Atlanta. CR22 Going at JS7 here at Atlanta a few years ago had to boost his drive!

Post a reply to: Why is Chad Reed still racing???

The Latest