Why is Anderson so often overlooked?

Aj528
I grew up racing with Jason and ended up casual friends with him and his dad. From his Suzuki days until he went pro he used my dads footpegs religiously. We are both taller guys and used to wear flannels for the early morning moto's during the march Texas races. So I've always had a soft spot and rooted for Jason.

He obviously had a rough first year or two in the sport but since then he has been solid. Up until this collar bone injury he was only behind Dungey on races competed/sat out ratio. He won A1 his 250 west title, almost won A1 in his roomie debut in the 450 class, and then won A1 his second year. He obviously has his offseason season routine down and is capable coming out swinging and this past season he showed he could sustain top 3 pace throughout the season.

Yet when I read on here or listen to pulp about 2017 everyone starts listing of names like Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, Musquin, Seely, Barcia, Webb, Canard and forget Jason. I just can't wrap my head around this. Im not saying any of those guys don't deserve to be talked about, but the 21 has proved he's a contender week in and week out.
|
FastGzus
8/25/2016 9:01am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 9:01am
Definitely and imo he is the leader of the guys capable of winning races but not the title (MM, Trey, Seely, Barcia)
agn5009
8/25/2016 9:03am
I wouldn't say he's overlooked. He's on team USA for MXDN. That's an amazing accomplishment.
JBlain619
8/25/2016 9:04am
I agree...I think Jason's baddass. He's a little over-aggressive at times, made some dumb moves and I think it's bitten him in the ass. That said, it's his style/personality and I dig it. He should definitely be in the conversation for the titles next year with Roczen, Dungey, Tomac.
c0ncEpT
8/25/2016 9:05am
IMO its because hes never really been a stud outdoors. All the other guys you listed have outdoor championships as well as supercross championships. I think thats the same reason Seely doesn't get a whole lotta credit also.

The Shop

51xc
8/25/2016 9:08am
I love watching that guy racing but he has to learn to move forward without getting caught up in personal battles/ little paybacks etc. or just get better starts. If he can manage to do so, he has the speed to run with the top 3.
agn5009
8/25/2016 9:09am
JBlain619 wrote:
I agree...I think Jason's baddass. He's a little over-aggressive at times, made some dumb moves and I think it's bitten him in the ass. That said...
I agree...I think Jason's baddass. He's a little over-aggressive at times, made some dumb moves and I think it's bitten him in the ass. That said, it's his style/personality and I dig it. He should definitely be in the conversation for the titles next year with Roczen, Dungey, Tomac.
I really dig Jason too. But let's be honest, he hasn't proven he can consistently run with RD and KR in SX yet. I think hes next in line after the fast 3. I think he will have some good battles with MM and Seeley.
Aj528
8/25/2016 9:14am
agn5009 wrote:
I wouldn't say he's overlooked. He's on team USA for MXDN. That's an amazing accomplishment.
This is kinda what I'm saying. He's good enough to send to represent our country but not to be in everyone's discussions for contenders next year?
Aj528
8/25/2016 9:16am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 9:17am
FastGzus wrote:
Definitely and imo he is the leader of the guys capable of winning races but not the title (MM, Trey, Seely, Barcia)
I agree. Jason's weak point has been his starts and in 17 rounds with consistently bad starts its going to be tough to match the consistency of a Dungey. But on any given night he's got a chance to win.
Frodad78
8/25/2016 9:18am
c0ncEpT wrote:
IMO its because hes never really been a stud outdoors. All the other guys you listed have outdoor championships as well as supercross championships. I think...
IMO its because hes never really been a stud outdoors. All the other guys you listed have outdoor championships as well as supercross championships. I think thats the same reason Seely doesn't get a whole lotta credit also.
He went 4th, 4th and then 2nd at Mt Morris before he got hurt. He missed Lakewood though, I would have liked to have seen where he would have been if he stayed healthy. Dude rips. Looks like he is in for the last round of Nats and the 2 USGPS?
8/25/2016 9:23am
Anderson who? I'm kidding. He's not overlooked. The only issue with him right now is he's not racing so he's not relevant Once he starts racing again, he'll be fine..
Aj528
8/25/2016 9:28am
51xc wrote:
I love watching that guy racing but he has to learn to move forward without getting caught up in personal battles/ little paybacks etc. or just...
I love watching that guy racing but he has to learn to move forward without getting caught up in personal battles/ little paybacks etc. or just get better starts. If he can manage to do so, he has the speed to run with the top 3.
Better starts would deffinetly make more people like him. But he was never one to be moving backwards and hit people. Even Seely said he never hit him when he wasn't faster than Cole. Besides the Brayton incident and the Cole brake check I felt like the rest were just good hard moves and most guys he left them the chance to retaliate if they could catch him.
kkawboy14
8/25/2016 9:36am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 9:36am
agn5009 wrote:
He seems to be overlooked by the fans. But man I like his, all over the place, I'm going to the front, loose style!
8/25/2016 10:04am
He is one of my favorites, if not my favorite rider. His style is just so sick
mxtech1
8/25/2016 10:20am
He has a factory ride, on Team USA, and running near the front most weekends.

You seem to be confusing overlooked with under-the radar. You see, if he was overlooked he would be struggling to hold a ride & not picked for MXoN. He wouldn't be receiving any publicity or promoted as a premier rider. But he is.

IMO he's just one of those guys that flies just on the edge of the publicity/media radar. But I would never consider him to be overlooked.

Since you know him, maybe you should ask him how he feels about it.
davistld01
8/25/2016 10:33am
Kx125rider wrote:
His mechanic says he "looks like a spider monkey" on the bike...all over it with maximum body english!
8/25/2016 10:49am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 10:50am
mxtech1 wrote:
He has a factory ride, on Team USA, and running near the front most weekends. You seem to be confusing overlooked with under-the radar. You see...
He has a factory ride, on Team USA, and running near the front most weekends.

You seem to be confusing overlooked with under-the radar. You see, if he was overlooked he would be struggling to hold a ride & not picked for MXoN. He wouldn't be receiving any publicity or promoted as a premier rider. But he is.

IMO he's just one of those guys that flies just on the edge of the publicity/media radar. But I would never consider him to be overlooked.

Since you know him, maybe you should ask him how he feels about it.
I will say this: His energy drink sponsor seems to have got him up on more gas station posters and refrigerator decals than I have seen with any other rider this year.
Braap19
8/25/2016 11:05am
Kx125rider wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
His mechanic says he "looks like a spider monkey" on the bike...all over it with maximum body english!
He rides like he's 6' 5". I like it
Flip109
8/25/2016 11:12am
I like the fact the back of his jersey is always out. Always been my style also! Cool
Sully22
8/25/2016 11:21am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 11:24am
Love his style, love his attitude, don't care if people view him as aggressive, it's a business, he's there to win or move forward and if you're in his way he'll nudge you or move you, and I don't think he's as dirty as some make him out to be. I think it's important and you have to remember this, in this sport your coverage isn't necessarily based on performance, it's who you and your team bro down with, and if you bro down with and hang out with the right people, they're going to talk about you favorably all day everyday...
brimx153
8/25/2016 11:34am
Steve Matthes said after A1 he could see him going on an MC kind of run ,thats def not overlooked . All these riders like MM, Trey, Seely, and especially Barica get too much credit imo . I think they are great great riders and will win races . But look at last year before A1 . Its the deepest season ever .All these rider s were being named as riders who could win the championship . In fact some are payed to do it . The reality is it would be a real real real long shot for any of them to win a championship . was the same before outdoors . There is there are 3 riders who can win it in reality. IMO Seely ,Anderson etc get alot more credit than the likes of , Fonseca ,Ferry ,Ward etc etc did back in the day any of the riders who could get win s . but prob would nt win the championship. Come A1 we will be hearing the same .,any of 7 riders could win the championship . Its just not reality . Imo champs in the 00s was every bit as deep as it is now ,and them riders did nt get the same credit
Spydee
8/25/2016 1:21pm
Great to watch him ride, especially with his riding style of aggressiveness makes it interesting to watch, but he's years off a championship imo. The talent is there he just hasn't been able to put it all together, though the competition doesn't help tbh.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/25/2016 1:28pm
I'm hearing that he wears that hippy deodorant and it doesn't work
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
8/25/2016 2:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 2:14pm
Didnt totally read through, not sure if anyone addressed your question or not.

In my opinion, Jason is not consistently up front enough, that is his problem and that is why he gets overlooked. For one race sure Jason can race with the best of them (especially indoors). His results are about like Tomac's starts...all over the place. (well maybe a little better than Tomac's starts)
Hcallz5
8/25/2016 2:17pm
Bad starts and Aldon running him into the ground. Dude has a ton of natural talent, just needs a few more pieces of the puzzle.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
8/25/2016 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2016 12:55am
I don't think he's overlooked but he is not on the same level as Dungey,Kroc, Tomac either. When he become consist and a championship threat I think he will get more press. Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, Musquin, Barcia, Webb, and Canard have all won championships.
davistld01
8/25/2016 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 2:20pm
Anderson is a funny dude. Off the bike, he seems like a really cool dude...is articulate and mature, seems to be grateful for what he's got, and where he is. Then he suits up, hits the track...and rides like an asshole! He totally loses his mind if someone is in his way, and only knows one way around...by punting the other rider, rather than use his talent to figure a way around. He doesn't make any friends on the track, that's for sure. The fact is that he seems to piss a lot of people off on a regular basis (like Brayton). And, add that to the fact that he's only a fast top-5 guy the vast majority of the time, and he seems to fade into the background.
8/25/2016 2:37pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I don't think he's overlooked but he is not on the same level as Dungey,Kroc, Tomac either. When he become consist and a championship threat I...
I don't think he's overlooked but he is not on the same level as Dungey,Kroc, Tomac either. When he become consist and a championship threat I think he will get more press. Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, Musquin, Barcia, Webb, and Canard have all won championships.
Anderson has won a Championship.
Sully22
8/25/2016 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/25/2016 7:12pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I don't think he's overlooked but he is not on the same level as Dungey,Kroc, Tomac either. When he become consist and a championship threat I...
just curious, what has barcia won that anderson hasn't? He's the one guy on your list i don't understand why he gets all the coverage and hype he does. the others, sure, they've won sx and outdoor titles in either or both classes, but anderson is just as fast as MM, Barcia, and canard imho...
HuskyEd
8/25/2016 7:29pm
51xc wrote:
I love watching that guy racing but he has to learn to move forward without getting caught up in personal battles/ little paybacks etc. or just...
Aj528 wrote:
Better starts would deffinetly make more people like him. But he was never one to be moving backwards and hit people. Even Seely said he never...
Better starts would deffinetly make more people like him. But he was never one to be moving backwards and hit people. Even Seely said he never hit him when he wasn't faster than Cole. Besides the Brayton incident and the Cole brake check I felt like the rest were just good hard moves and most guys he left them the chance to retaliate if they could catch him.
Man, I was stoked after the MEC last year thinking he was going to be the holeshot king in 2016. I hope he find that 2016 MEC form again in 2017.

Post a reply to: Why is Anderson so often overlooked?

The Latest