Why i hate riding in wind!

kkawboy14
1/30/2018 6:18am
it would be okay if the wind just moved you to one side but it seems to blow your wheels out from under you like that...
it would be okay if the wind just moved you to one side but it seems to blow your wheels out from under you like that guy. Sketchy.
The bike is bigger than you so the bike catches a lot of wind and you don’t.
2 choices: 1) jump lower by not jumping as far 2) throw the bike into the wind negating the push.
dcg141
1/30/2018 6:22am
Frank wrote:
Been riding 35 years and never had wind over 5-7mph on a dry day. Amazing how different things are around the country.
Yea same here. Wind like that here is in front of a massive thunderstorm.
captmoto
1/30/2018 8:26am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2018 8:29am
it would be okay if the wind just moved you to one side but it seems to blow your wheels out from under you like that...
it would be okay if the wind just moved you to one side but it seems to blow your wheels out from under you like that guy. Sketchy.
I was told by a local fast guy to heavily weight the off side peg to keep the wheel from blowing your wheels out from under you. I never had the sack to try it.
Hammer 663s
1/30/2018 8:46am
FERNLEY!!!
Forty wrote:
Nevada?

Fun track! Strangest soil ever.
Yup - that place can be one windy bastard. Ultra deep sand track, freezing cold to blazing hot all in one day. Other than GH I can't think of a track that gets rougher.

Another one that can get super windy is Argyll MX in Dixon, CA. Mike Sexton has had to shut down more than once due to high West winds. Like 60+ MPH gusts on a really bad day.

Mike

The Shop

MX76er
1/30/2018 10:52am
captmoto wrote:
I was told by a local fast guy to heavily weight the off side peg to keep the wheel from blowing your wheels out from under...
I was told by a local fast guy to heavily weight the off side peg to keep the wheel from blowing your wheels out from under you. I never had the sack to try it.
Weighing outside peg is crucial in a cross wind. It def takes practice. I learnt the hard way a time or two before picking up this technique. Tore my LCL off the femur because of a cross wind blowing the back end of my 85cc completely sideways when I was 14. Damn took 3 months in a splint to heal and still had bone chunks floating around in my knee years later that had to be removed. Take it from me and stay grounded for like 2 site laps before launching your favorite jumps on a windy day. Got to build up to the jump like your a beginner on windy days, it is a different animal when it gets above 70km+
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/30/2018 10:57am
Asimo wrote:
No, he was pointing to go off track anyway.
Who would want to ride that dusty pile that day anyway?
ML512 wrote:
He was definetely angeled on take off, but the wind took him that little extra bit and tilted him. I was 20 mins from there at...
He was definetely angeled on take off, but the wind took him that little extra bit and tilted him. I was 20 mins from there at Perris, the wind wasn’t as bad there but we were still getting moved over a few feet in the air.
jeffro503 wrote:
I'll tell you what.......until my trip to Glen Helen last Sept , I have never ( in 35 years ) ever rode in winds like that...
I'll tell you what.......until my trip to Glen Helen last Sept , I have never ( in 35 years ) ever rode in winds like that before. Borderline scary at times. Me , my buddies Chuck , Dennis and Barron ( BVM111 ) rode on Friday , and holy hell. My buddy Chuck got his bike ripped out from under him and he went down pretty hard. Me and Barron were in the middle of a practice section , when the entire lower part of the track got engulfed in a sand storm , that us and everyone around us , had to come to a stop. You literally couldn't see where the track was. We were getting 50mph gusts. My first experience with the " Santa Ana winds ". Scary stuff for moto.
I've been taken out by the wind at Glen Helen and Comp Edge...I HATE riding during Santa Ana season. The gusts are really inconsistent and catch you by surprise. One lap you go off a jump and you're good, next lap you're pointed right off the track.
bondsmx
1/30/2018 11:31am
ML512 wrote:
I've been taken out by the wind at Glen Helen and Comp Edge...I HATE riding during Santa Ana season. The gusts are really inconsistent and catch...
I've been taken out by the wind at Glen Helen and Comp Edge...I HATE riding during Santa Ana season. The gusts are really inconsistent and catch you by surprise. One lap you go off a jump and you're good, next lap you're pointed right off the track.
I’m a victim of comp edge wind too. I’ve had a lot of crashes over the years, and it ranks way up on the list, no doubt.

My boy was racing the same milestone track this weekend, I’m usually saying jump every jump you can do, every lap. “Every jump, every lap”. This weekend, I was saying you don’t over jump NOTHING! You stay as low as possible on everything. It’s was bad this weekend. I’m pretty sure my boy was the motos after this crash, or it was another HUGE crash on the same jump. Rough day
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
1/30/2018 11:36am
ML512 wrote:
He was definetely angeled on take off, but the wind took him that little extra bit and tilted him. I was 20 mins from there at...
He was definetely angeled on take off, but the wind took him that little extra bit and tilted him. I was 20 mins from there at Perris, the wind wasn’t as bad there but we were still getting moved over a few feet in the air.
jeffro503 wrote:
I'll tell you what.......until my trip to Glen Helen last Sept , I have never ( in 35 years ) ever rode in winds like that...
I'll tell you what.......until my trip to Glen Helen last Sept , I have never ( in 35 years ) ever rode in winds like that before. Borderline scary at times. Me , my buddies Chuck , Dennis and Barron ( BVM111 ) rode on Friday , and holy hell. My buddy Chuck got his bike ripped out from under him and he went down pretty hard. Me and Barron were in the middle of a practice section , when the entire lower part of the track got engulfed in a sand storm , that us and everyone around us , had to come to a stop. You literally couldn't see where the track was. We were getting 50mph gusts. My first experience with the " Santa Ana winds ". Scary stuff for moto.
ML512 wrote:
I've been taken out by the wind at Glen Helen and Comp Edge...I HATE riding during Santa Ana season. The gusts are really inconsistent and catch...
Don’t forget jumping into the wind and coming up 5-10 feet short because a big gust slowed you down. I’ve seen that happen a few times

Post a reply to: Why i hate riding in wind!

The Latest