Why don’t more riders go to 450 at a younger age?

CPR
3/27/2022 2:52am
The ‘Hunter Lawrence to 450’ thread got me thinking; over the years, plenty of riders have moved to the ‘open’ 250 2t/ 450 4t class, at what is now considered a young age.

Examples like Lechien and Bradshaw. In Australia, during my youth it was not uncommon for young fellas to race open in their teens. A teenage Jeff Leisk was successfully piloting savage CR500s. While myself, as a total amateur, thought nothing of riding two stroke 250 or 500 at 16yo, as did all my riding mates. Then Chad Reed skipped the 125 class all together and went straight into the big boy class at 16 and won too. We saw Stew in the premier SX class at 19 etc etc, There are many examples. Though Sexton is the last I can think of who was considered going early.

Why is that? Why when it was not uncommon to move to the top capacity class years ago, does it not happen much anymore, or is frowned upon?

Poll

Reasons why riders no longer go 450 at a younger age?

Choices
|
NVA57
Fantasy
1742nd
3/27/2022 6:12am
There’s only so many rides in the 450 class
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/27/2022 6:44am
I think more factory teams ran 3 bikes back in the day.

Yamaha: Reed, Ferry, Vuillemin
Honda: Carmichael, Fonseca, Ramsey
Suzuki: Pastrana, Tortelli, Roncada

That extra bike helps when there's only so many 250/450 rides available.

I wish 450 teams would run 3 bikes.
DonM
3/27/2022 6:45am
Money….a top 250 ride pays double compared to a mid level 450 ride…top 450 rides are hard to come by…
kpiper
3/27/2022 9:27am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2022 9:27am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think more factory teams ran 3 bikes back in the day. Yamaha: Reed, Ferry, Vuillemin Honda: Carmichael, Fonseca, Ramsey Suzuki: Pastrana, Tortelli, Roncada That extra...

This but also...

1) The Teams want to see more championships so will keep a rider in the 250s longer than they should (i.e Jett if he stays 250 in 2023)

2) As someone else said, a 250 ride pays pretty well. Better than going on your own in the 450 class.

3) Easier to show better results in the 250 class vs 450.

4) People are softer these days. There is no denying that fact.

The Shop

TeamGreen
3/27/2022 9:35am
Something-else: Rules and Societal Change

Example: we've actually had rules, over the recent years, that kept riders from 18 years-old on 250s (4T) or smaller. Some folks think it was all for "safety" or the like; but, in a case/some cases it was due to a law suit and/or a response to law suits (regarding the 18 y/o requirement we had here in the states). This is all from memory; so, someone with the specifics is welcome to chime in and tighten up my collective memories. DC knows all this stuff. Over in Europe...wasn't it 21 or 23 was/is the "Age Out" rule in MX2? Like I said...this is all recollection. But, there are various "age rules". They're all a result of the changes we've seen in our collective thinking over the years.

As for the reality of our culture and how we think nowadays? I'd call it "protectionist". I say that without any form of judgement, just the reality of living thru it. We've become very protectionist and rather Ubber-Safety minded. Again, not accusatory. Just rational thought based on experiencing the change; and, who's to say getting safer isn't a good thing?

But, to CPRs (the OP's) point: I watched a young Rick Ryan that was barely tall enough to hold a big bike up...
Race a 80, 125, 250 and 465(I think it was a YZ 465...may have been a 400)...All in the same day...at 14-15 years old.
I remember more than a few racers that pulled this stuff off in their early-to-mid teens, too.
Danny "Magoo" Chandler comes to mind. Think he raced Nationals as a rather young dude.
CPR brought up Lechien, Bradshaw and Reed.

Our moto-culture has changed and become a bit more uniform in its thinking about "what" we should ride and "when" we should ride it. Terms like "risk versus reward", safety, technology, "too dangerous" are used WAY more often than I think we realize. Just look at a helmet or neck-device thread! Grinning And, guess what?! It's not a bad thing! Sure, there are some of us that'll claim we were "bad asses" back in the day...probably including myself; but, out-side of that? We're doing OK with the safety and the "eye on risk" aspect of our sport.

Above, I start out with rules...and if you think about it, those rules came about with an eye towards safety. And...some of those safety rules came into place due to learning...the hard way. This sport went thru unexplainable growth back in the day. This sport didn't just "grow" in the 70s (& into the 80s): It EXPLODED on to the Racing Scene; and, plenty of people got hurt...bad...or worse...back then.

It was a crazy time that's almost impossible to explain if you didn't live thru it...

Maico, CZ, Rickman, Bultaco, Monarch, Harley Davidson, Hodaka, Indian, DKW, Penton...these were brands of dirt bikes you could see at Indian Dunes back in the day...on top of all the Japanese brands you know nowadays. And you could find dirt bikes EVERYWHERE. You could buy a dirt-bike at the mall...at Sears!

We rode at places that were smack-dab in the middle of The Valley back then...Fallbrook and Saticoy right in the middle of Canoga Park, for example. So many "Dirt-Lot Tracks". We were riding EVERYWHERE! Like I said...INSANE growth. INSANE opportunity. It was all new. Safety wasn't the concern that it is now.

Since those days, we've learned helluva lot more about rider safety and have imposed rules and requirements aimed at making our sport safer. That's all had it's affect on what we think we should ride/race...and...when.

Society, in general, is much more risk-averse and there are plenty of ambulance chasers willing to go after ANYONE for ANYTHING...

So, I'm going with..."Something-else". Cool
Ozy
3/27/2022 10:08am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2022 10:21am
Any "Pro" rider needs a minimum of 2 years riding AMA SX tracks to learn the nuances of what can put you in a wheelchair verses what physics will safely allow. Look how many Euro GP hotshots have tried to race a one off SX in America and gone home in a cast.

The 250 class is perfect for gaining experience before trying to race 6-7 other past 250 champions at the highest level of intensity at the same time
kpiper
3/27/2022 10:11am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2022 10:11am
TeamGreen wrote:
Something-else: Rules and Societal Change Example: we've actually had rules, over the recent years, that kept riders from 18 years-old on 250s (4T) or smaller. Some...

Example: we've actually had rules, over the recent years, that kept riders from 18 years-old on 250s (4T) or smaller. Some folks think it was all for "safety" or the like; but, in a case/some cases it was due to a law suit and/or a response to law suits (regarding the 18 y/o requirement we had here in the states). This is all from memory; so, someone with the specifics is welcome to chime in and tighten up my collective memories. DC knows all this stuff. Over in Europe...wasn't it 21 or 23 was/is the "Age Out" rule in MX2? Like I said...this is all recollection. But, there are various "age rules". They're all a result of the changes we've seen in our collective thinking over the years.

As for the reality of our culture and how we think nowadays? I'd call it "protectionist". I say that without any form of judgement, just the reality of living thru it. We've become very protectionist and rather Ubber-Safety minded. Again, not accusatory. Just rational thought based on experiencing the change; and, who's to say getting safer isn't a good thing?

But, to CPRs (the OP's) point: I watched a young Rick Ryan that was barely tall enough to hold a big bike up...
Race a 80, 125, 250 and 465(I think it was a YZ 465...may have been a 400)...All in the same day...at 14-15 years old.
I remember more than a few racers that pulled this stuff off in their early-to-mid teens, too.
Danny "Magoo" Chandler comes to mind. Think he raced Nationals as a rather young dude.

Our moto-culture has changed and become a bit more uniform in its thinking about "what" we should ride and "when" we should ride it. Terms like "risk versus reward", safety, technology, "too dangerous" are used WAY more often than I think we realize. Just look at a helmet or neck-device thread! Grinning And, guess what?! It's not a bad thing! Sure, there are some of us that'll claim we were "bad asses" back in the day...probably including myself; but, out-side of that? We're doing OK with the safety and the "eye on risk" aspect of our sport.

Above, I start out with rules...and if you think about it, those rules came about with an eye towards safety. And...some of those safety rules came into place due to learning...the hard way. This sport went thru unexplainable growth back in the day. This sport didn't just "grow" in the 70s (& into the 80s): It EXPLODED on to the Racing Scene; and, plenty of people got hurt...bad...or worse...back then.

It was a crazy time that's almost impossible to explain if you didn't live thru it...

Maico, CZ, Rickman, Bultaco, Monarch, Harley Davidson, Hodaka, Indian, DKW, Penton...these were brands of dirt bikes you could see at Indian Dunes back in the day...on top of all the Japanese brands you know nowadays. And you could find dirt bikes EVERYWHERE. You could buy a dirt-bike at the mall...at Sears!

We rode at places that were smack-dab in the middle of The Valley back then...Fallbrook and Saticoy right in the middle of Canoga Park, for example. So many "Dirt-Lot Tracks". We were riding EVERYWHERE! Like I said...INSANE growth. INSANE opportunity. It was all new. Safety wasn't the concern that it is now.

Since those days, we've learned helluva lot more about rider safety and have imposed rules and requirements aimed at making our sport safer. That's all had it's affect on what we think we should ride/race...and...when.

Society, in general, is much more risk-averse and there are plenty of ambulance chasers willing to go after ANYONE for ANYTHING...

"Society, in general, is much more risk-averse..."

Pussified.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
3/27/2022 11:22am
TeamGreen wrote:
Something-else: Rules and Societal Change Example: we've actually had rules, over the recent years, that kept riders from 18 years-old on 250s (4T) or smaller. Some...

kpiper wrote:

Pussified.
Manny was much more eloquent about it.....but yeah.

The damaging Helicopter "parenting" has been buried by the even more damaging Bulldozer "parenting"....

zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
3/27/2022 12:14pm
Because Ricky said he needed one more year on 125s
HusqFan3
3/27/2022 1:04pm
NVA57 wrote:
Thank you. Given the answer should be obvious to anyone that follows the sport to any degree makes this poll rather silly to begin with. Couple that with the fact he didn't even include the obvious answer as one of the options to choose from warrants a nomination for the prestigious "stupidest poll on vital" award.
Ted722
3/27/2022 1:36pm
Watch an hour long recap of a round of SX (from the 90's / ESPN ) on Youtube . It was 80/20 Premier class vs Regional class back in the day.

Bring in Live TV. The Regional class practically gets the same broadcast time / exposure as the Premier class today. Somewhere in the equation exposure plays a role and it's a money decision (ultimately) for sponsors and riders.

peltier626
3/27/2022 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2022 3:44pm
Ya don't think the power ratio to skeletal threshold is at a premium currently. Lets throw a freshie on a 450 and watch him self annihilate! Hell FELD could use it as a promo. Veteran riders can't contain that beast, just look how depleted the field is now.
peltier626
3/27/2022 2:54pm
kpiper wrote:

Pussified.
CR 500 rider right da!
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2550th
3/27/2022 2:56pm
riders are not even going pro until they are 19/20.. than spend 3-4 years in 250 class.
CPR
3/27/2022 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2022 10:08pm
NVA57 wrote:
HusqFan3 wrote:
Thank you. Given the answer should be obvious to anyone that follows the sport to any degree makes this poll rather silly to begin with. Couple...
Thank you. Given the answer should be obvious to anyone that follows the sport to any degree makes this poll rather silly to begin with. Couple that with the fact he didn't even include the obvious answer as one of the options to choose from warrants a nomination for the prestigious "stupidest poll on vital" award.
Ha well aren’t you a pleasant chap! Must have pissed you of at some stage 😂

Still, the amount of rides is relevant, but there’s generally always been less rides in the 250/ 450 class than the 125/ 250 class, however that has never stopped some young riders going to the big class previously. And I wasn’t specifically talking about pro AMA, I mean in general, at the local club track, in Europe, in Australia, in the pro class, or in C grade etc. Obviously I used well known pro AMA examples, because that’s what most guys would identify with, but I also mentioned Reed’s early days in Oz and my mates and I as weekend hacks, to try and illustrate that.

Regardless of the number of available rides in each class, the fact remains that younger riders in the big bike class were a lot more common in past years than now. It’s likely a combination of factors, which some have provided above. Team Green I think nailed it.
Sully
3/27/2022 8:08pm
NVA57 wrote:
HusqFan3 wrote:
Thank you. Given the answer should be obvious to anyone that follows the sport to any degree makes this poll rather silly to begin with. Couple...
CPR wrote:
Ha well aren’t you a pleasant chap! Must have pissed you of at some stage 😂 Still, the amount of rides is relevant, but there’s generally...
Ha well aren’t you a pleasant chap! Must have pissed you of at some stage 😂

Still, the amount of rides is relevant, but there’s generally always been less rides in the 250/ 450 class than the 125/ 250 class, however that has never stopped some young riders going to the big class previously. And I wasn’t specifically talking about pro AMA, I mean in general, at the local club track, in Europe, in Australia, in the pro class, or in C grade etc. Obviously I used well known pro AMA examples, because that’s what most guys would identify with, but I also mentioned Reed’s early days in Oz and my mates and I as weekend hacks, to try and illustrate that.

Regardless of the number of available rides in each class, the fact remains that younger riders in the big bike class were a lot more common in past years than now. It’s likely a combination of factors, which some have provided above. Team Green I think nailed it.
I think there's enough rides, but the top factory guys seem to be sticking around a lot longer. Hell 4 of the top 5 (Eli, Barcia, Mookie and Anderson) are, or will be 30 in the next 11-ish months, and none of them appear to be showing signs of slowing down over the next couple of years.
kpiper
3/27/2022 9:33pm
TeamGreen wrote:

kpiper wrote:

Pussified.
Magoofan wrote:
Manny was much more eloquent about it.....but yeah.

The damaging Helicopter "parenting" has been buried by the even more damaging Bulldozer "parenting"....

Yes, the truth is the truth even if many don't want to admit it.
kpiper
3/27/2022 9:36pm
peltier626 wrote:
CR 500 rider right da!
CR 500 was a great machine.
BigBoreFan58
3/28/2022 12:56am
NVA57 wrote:
HusqFan3 wrote:
That Monster Girl Poll was pretty bad they tell me.
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
3/28/2022 6:35am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think more factory teams ran 3 bikes back in the day. Yamaha: Reed, Ferry, Vuillemin Honda: Carmichael, Fonseca, Ramsey Suzuki: Pastrana, Tortelli, Roncada That extra...

Just proving that 2-strokes were so cheap you could add a 3rd factory bike and rider to a team and still be under budget.
Johnny Ringo
3/28/2022 7:02am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

nrosso391 wrote:
Just proving that 2-strokes were so cheap you could add a 3rd factory bike and rider to a team and still be under budget.
Suzuki had like 5 or 6 riders in 2009

Honda had 4 factory 450s in that same era also
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/28/2022 7:25am
nrosso391 wrote:
The cost has definitely gone up, but the factory teams could all run 3 bikes if they wanted to. Star ran 3 guys before. KTM group is the smallest company out of all of them and they have a bunch of guys.

KTM: Webb, Musquin, Plessinger
HUSKY: Stewart, Wilson, Osborne
GASGAS: Barcia

I get Osborne is retired, but he was set to race this year until his back injury flared up and forced him into retirement. Even without Osborne, that's 6 factory riders.

All the other manufacturers have deeper pockets. I don't know why they stopped supporting 3 riders, but my only guess is that it's simply not worth the investment to them.
SlowMoFo
3/31/2022 10:55am
Nobody chasing greatness nowadays, everybody after that $.
RaceFace58
3/31/2022 2:06pm
CPR wrote:
The ‘Hunter Lawrence to 450’ thread got me thinking; over the years, plenty of riders have moved to the ‘open’ 250 2t/ 450 4t class, at...
The ‘Hunter Lawrence to 450’ thread got me thinking; over the years, plenty of riders have moved to the ‘open’ 250 2t/ 450 4t class, at what is now considered a young age.

Examples like Lechien and Bradshaw. In Australia, during my youth it was not uncommon for young fellas to race open in their teens. A teenage Jeff Leisk was successfully piloting savage CR500s. While myself, as a total amateur, thought nothing of riding two stroke 250 or 500 at 16yo, as did all my riding mates. Then Chad Reed skipped the 125 class all together and went straight into the big boy class at 16 and won too. We saw Stew in the premier SX class at 19 etc etc, There are many examples. Though Sexton is the last I can think of who was considered going early.

Why is that? Why when it was not uncommon to move to the top capacity class years ago, does it not happen much anymore, or is frowned upon?

Lechien had no other class to join in SX. There was no 125 class. Bradshaw rode 125s to start. Reed rode 125s when he got to the US.
3/31/2022 2:15pm
NVA57 wrote:
HusqFan3 wrote:
X2
Johnny Ringo
3/31/2022 2:28pm
CPR wrote:
The ‘Hunter Lawrence to 450’ thread got me thinking; over the years, plenty of riders have moved to the ‘open’ 250 2t/ 450 4t class, at...

RaceFace58 wrote:
Lechien had no other class to join in SX. There was no 125 class. Bradshaw rode 125s to start. Reed rode 125s when he got to...
Lechien had no other class to join in SX. There was no 125 class. Bradshaw rode 125s to start. Reed rode 125s when he got to the US.
Chad rode 250 in 1999 when he first came over.

Bradshaw was also racing 250s overseas at 16
RaceFace58
3/31/2022 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2022 2:35pm
CPR wrote:

RaceFace58 wrote:
Lechien had no other class to join in SX. There was no 125 class. Bradshaw rode 125s to start. Reed rode 125s when he got to...
Chad rode 250 in 1999 when he first came over.

Bradshaw was also racing 250s overseas at 16
By 250 in 1999 do you mean 250f in the 125 class?

I’m sorry 2002. Chad didn’t ride here full time until then right? 2 races overseas isn’t what we’re talking about. Haiden Deegan is racing 450 races right now. That isn’t what we’re taking about.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
3/31/2022 2:55pm
RaceFace58 wrote:
By 250 in 1999 do you mean 250f in the 125 class? I’m sorry 2002. Chad didn’t ride here full time until then right? 2 races...
By 250 in 1999 do you mean 250f in the 125 class?

I’m sorry 2002. Chad didn’t ride here full time until then right? 2 races overseas isn’t what we’re talking about. Haiden Deegan is racing 450 races right now. That isn’t what we’re taking about.
I don't watch the Vlogs, but is he not racing the 450 races on a 250 bike?

Post a reply to: Why don’t more riders go to 450 at a younger age?

The Latest