Why doesn't SX do the red plate for the current series points leader?

layinbody31
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:46am
As the title says, how come the past years champion gets to rock the red number plate all year long instead of it changing hands week to week based on the points like it does in MX? I think it would add a new level of excitement, and also think a red CRF (namely #41) would look good with red plates... I think Chad showed us all that this year outdoors Smile
|
dv12.com
Fantasy
134th
11/9/2011 7:59am
Red plates are gay! Leave it white or bring the Blue with Yellow numbers!!!
reded
11/9/2011 8:02am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 8:04am
It is a good idea given the current numbering system. It would let outsiders know who the current champion is instead of just seeing #41 racing #2.

On second thought I'm with DV, give the champ a blue background with a big ol #1.
Ddavis
11/9/2011 8:05am
Drunken mainstream bros wouldn't get it...
ts.p311
11/9/2011 8:24am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 8:24am
I think they originally started it cause RC wouldnt run number 1, and they wanted the reigning champ to be identifiable so they went with the season long red plate... Thats just what I think though, I really have no clue as to why its that way and could be way off. I like the current points leader running it like in outdoors myself.

The Shop

Freddy
11/9/2011 8:29am
Current pointsleader should have the red plate. Period.
Defending champ should have the #1.

I always think its fun with some changes during the season wich is why i would want the redplate to be used by the pointsleader
motomike137
11/9/2011 8:34am
Bring back the old numbering sytem and have the points leader wear the red plate. The old system immediately allowed the casual fan to understand who was who from last year. And then you might have the occasional 3 didit rookie/up and comer thrown in everybody caught on quickly to the "new" fast guy.
wawazat
11/9/2011 9:04am
Hell, take it a step further, everyones number changes each race depending on where they are in the points. I mean it's just numbers right? Wink
layinbody31
11/9/2011 9:07am
I thought I read somewhere that the AMA mandated only a few years back (post Carmichael but pre Stewart/Reed) that the past years champ HAD to run the #1
ts.p311
11/9/2011 10:13am
I thought I read somewhere that the AMA mandated only a few years back (post Carmichael but pre Stewart/Reed) that the past years champ HAD to...
I thought I read somewhere that the AMA mandated only a few years back (post Carmichael but pre Stewart/Reed) that the past years champ HAD to run the #1
Post RC, pre Stewart/Reed... Did that era even exist?
Sherwood
11/9/2011 10:52am
The circus has yet to learn that the fans and the riders actually matter like DC has.
layinbody31
11/9/2011 10:54am
I thought I read somewhere that the AMA mandated only a few years back (post Carmichael but pre Stewart/Reed) that the past years champ HAD to...
ts.p311 wrote:
Post RC, pre Stewart/Reed... Did that era even exist?
Yes, but it more than likely was just one offseason lol
11/9/2011 11:17am
Sherwood wrote:
The circus has yet to learn that the fans and the riders actually matter like DC has.
They took the idea from the GP's anyway... and fucked it up. At least Davey got it right. They even give our red plates now (literal number plates) like the nice fancy ones the FIM gives.
TDeath21
11/9/2011 10:47pm
The former champ should wear the red plate all year, but shouldn't be forced to ride number one. The previous champion can be identified by their red plate. Nobody should be forced to ride a number. Plus there's that superstitious factor, or lucky number factor. Nobody has won with a 1 plate in the big class since McGrath.
Mstock
11/9/2011 11:11pm
Sherwood wrote:
This is the first year in over a decade that the top riders have said they prefer to be at outdoor nationals over the circus. Both Reed and Stewart have said it in the past 2 weeks. Times are changing. Feld may want to start listening.
mx216
11/9/2011 11:15pm
TDeath21 wrote:
The former champ should wear the red plate all year, but shouldn't be forced to ride number one. The previous champion can be identified by their...
The former champ should wear the red plate all year, but shouldn't be forced to ride number one. The previous champion can be identified by their red plate. Nobody should be forced to ride a number. Plus there's that superstitious factor, or lucky number factor. Nobody has won with a 1 plate in the big class since McGrath.
Has anyone tried to run #1 since MC? I cant think of any in the big bike class. I would think with how everyone says the mental aspect is so large that it would be another big way to get into guys heads. Pretty much like i basically whooped ya last year heres the proof now come get it. Plus i would think seeing your own bike with the #1 on it would be a confidence booster. All in all i agree with DV. Bring back yellow on blue and make it mandatory and then let the points leader have the red.
Gym Briggs
11/9/2011 11:17pm
I have said this for a while. Its doesn't make much sense. ALso from the outsiders point of view its easier to understand!
TDeath21
11/9/2011 11:19pm
TDeath21 wrote:
The former champ should wear the red plate all year, but shouldn't be forced to ride number one. The previous champion can be identified by their...
mx216 wrote:
Has anyone tried to run #1 since MC? I cant think of any in the big bike class. I would think with how everyone says the...
Has anyone tried to run #1 since MC? I cant think of any in the big bike class. I would think with how everyone says the mental aspect is so large that it would be another big way to get into guys heads. Pretty much like i basically whooped ya last year heres the proof now come get it. Plus i would think seeing your own bike with the #1 on it would be a confidence booster. All in all i agree with DV. Bring back yellow on blue and make it mandatory and then let the points leader have the red.
Nobody tried it until they started forcing people to wear in in 2009. Every champ since the 08 champ has been forced to ride the #1. I completely disagree with forcing someone to ride a number, which includes the #1. Red number plate to signify the former champ. If they choose to ride the #1, let em. Don't force them to though.
Gym Briggs
11/9/2011 11:22pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Nobody tried it until they started forcing people to wear in in 2009. Every champ since the 08 champ has been forced to ride the #1...
Nobody tried it until they started forcing people to wear in in 2009. Every champ since the 08 champ has been forced to ride the #1. I completely disagree with forcing someone to ride a number, which includes the #1. Red number plate to signify the former champ. If they choose to ride the #1, let em. Don't force them to though.
I like making the champ wear the #1. We went too many years without seeing it. Again from a outsider looking in they can understand. #1 is the guy who won the championship last year and the guy with the red plate is the currents points leader.
mx216
11/9/2011 11:30pm Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 11:30pm
TDeath21 wrote:
mx216 wrote:
Has anyone tried to run #1 since MC? I cant think of any in the big bike class. I would think with how everyone says the...
TDeath21 wrote:
Nobody tried it until they started forcing people to wear in in 2009. Every champ since the 08 champ has been forced to ride the #1...
damn u are right. I forgot in the last couple years it has been mandatory, lol brain fart. I still say mandatory but yellow with blue hahaha. But on the forcing someone to run a number is kinda odd because plenty of guys have to run numbers with no meaning at all. The points/numbering system is jacked. Each year the numbers should be ran down from #1-99 in each class, and different from indoors and out. Beyond 3 digits, they can rock paper scissor for what they want. Make em run what they earn. I dont see how someone who rides 2 races in a year can keep #3. And i even like that guy hahaha.
spyder
11/10/2011 3:15am
TDeath21 wrote:
Gym Briggs wrote:
I like making the champ wear the #1. We went too many years without seeing it. Again from a outsider looking in they can understand. #1...
I like making the champ wear the #1. We went too many years without seeing it. Again from a outsider looking in they can understand. #1 is the guy who won the championship last year and the guy with the red plate is the currents points leader.
I agree. The champion should wear number one, as they are the reigning best rider in said series. Up until 10 years ago, the number 1 plate was what everyone was gunning for, and wore it with pride. Stanton, Bayle, Bailey, Johnson all the way up to Showtime and Fro, and Doohan in MotoGP/500cc racing. You often used to hear people saying 'the number one plate is mine this year' etc.

When I was racing, wearing that number one plate was such a motivation, and having it on my bike gave me a confidence that nothing else could. It does also bring more pressure but hey, if you're the champ, you should be able to deal with that, right?
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
11/10/2011 6:09am
It is a disservice to not have a number 1 in the field.

It is also a disservice to make number 1 run a red number plate.

The 1 shows who last year's champion is, and the red plate should show who the current points leader is.

Very simple, but the AMA is not so smart.
jasonward73
11/10/2011 6:23am
Pardon my ignorance, but other than MX/SX what other motor sport forces a rider/driver to run a # or force last years champ to run #1. I don't really follow any other motor sport but I can't seem to recall this practice. I know for sure NASCAR doesn't and fans seem perfectly capable of knowing who is the champ, who is the points leader, and who the best drivers are without having to put them in numerical order.

I am not arguing for either way but I just want to know where everyone gets the idea that the sport is so hard to follow because the riders aren't put in numerical order based on the previous years results. Changing numbers yearly seems about 1000x more confusing for the part time fan. It would seem easier to me if Jo Smith went to a race in 2009 and saw someone he became a fan of and then came back in 2012 and could look for the same guy with the same #.

As a core fan I like the earned numbers system but there is no way that system makes it easier for the part time fan to follow the sport. I'm not buying that argument.

Jason
RaceFace
11/11/2011 5:02pm
dv12.com wrote:
I like the blue plate for the defending champ and red for points leader. If it is one and the same make it the blue plate.

Now the new GP Gold plates are going to be very....
RaceFace
11/11/2011 5:11pm
Pardon my ignorance, but other than MX/SX what other motor sport forces a rider/driver to run a # or force last years champ to run #1...
Pardon my ignorance, but other than MX/SX what other motor sport forces a rider/driver to run a # or force last years champ to run #1. I don't really follow any other motor sport but I can't seem to recall this practice. I know for sure NASCAR doesn't and fans seem perfectly capable of knowing who is the champ, who is the points leader, and who the best drivers are without having to put them in numerical order.

I am not arguing for either way but I just want to know where everyone gets the idea that the sport is so hard to follow because the riders aren't put in numerical order based on the previous years results. Changing numbers yearly seems about 1000x more confusing for the part time fan. It would seem easier to me if Jo Smith went to a race in 2009 and saw someone he became a fan of and then came back in 2012 and could look for the same guy with the same #.

As a core fan I like the earned numbers system but there is no way that system makes it easier for the part time fan to follow the sport. I'm not buying that argument.

Jason
I see the red plate as being an honor as much as anything else. Look how Reed complained when there was going to be 2 of them when he and Dungey were tied in points last year. I don't think many need it to know who is the leader, but it does stand out on the track for sure. In NASCAR the team owns the number. When Tony Stewart left JGR his number went to Joey Logano (I think). I have no idea what number Tony Stewart is now. In that regard, it does show how permanent numbers were meant to work, but MX/SX has too much turnover in riders for it to work properly. I still like it though. As you said, it used to take several races to remember so and so was now #6 and no longer #14.
SMITH201
11/11/2011 5:11pm
dv12.com wrote:

smc916
11/11/2011 5:18pm
dv12.com wrote:
SMITH201 wrote:
[img]http://www.buckleyphotos.com/classicprints/source/image/mcgrath-daytona94-001.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.buckleyphotos.com/classicprints/source/image/mcgrath-orlando94-002.jpg[/img]

Shit, don't give them any ideas or we might end up with a Monster Energy Green and Black #1!
SMITH201
11/11/2011 5:43pm
smc916 wrote:
Shit, don't give them any ideas or we might end up with a Monster Energy Green and Black #1!
450 - White plates with fatty green #1 with black boarder around the number.

250 - Black plates with fatty green #1 with white boarder around the number.
11/11/2011 5:49pm
Big fan of the red plates.

I`m fine with the rider sporting their career number, but i`de like the red plate used to inform who`s current points leader.
smc916
11/11/2011 5:59pm
SMITH201 wrote:
450 - White plates with fatty green #1 with black boarder around the number. 250 - Black plates with fatty green #1 with white boarder around...
450 - White plates with fatty green #1 with black boarder around the number.

250 - Black plates with fatty green #1 with white boarder around the number.
And of course the number must be written in the Monster claw style...

Post a reply to: Why doesn't SX do the red plate for the current series points leader?

The Latest