Why does/did everyone dislike Suzuki's?

2/5/2019 12:55pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
The lack of appeal has more to do with reliability concerns than people thinking the bike is slow. Whether they deserve it or not, Suzuki has...
The lack of appeal has more to do with reliability concerns than people thinking the bike is slow. Whether they deserve it or not, Suzuki has a rep for being a notch lower than Yamaha and Honda quality wise. Kawi was in the same boat until pretty recently. Anyone who's read enough bike reviews has heard about Suzuki's infamous 'squawky' clutch. A full hinson setup is close to $1000.. Don't even want to know how much a shop charges to yank a clutch a put a new one in.
Hasn't that been the hot setup to do on crf450's from 09 on there was lots of articles about fixing the crf's clutch in 09 10 11 12 etc.
ruy
2/5/2019 1:14pm

BikeGuy321
2/5/2019 3:41pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
The lack of appeal has more to do with reliability concerns than people thinking the bike is slow. Whether they deserve it or not, Suzuki has...
The lack of appeal has more to do with reliability concerns than people thinking the bike is slow. Whether they deserve it or not, Suzuki has a rep for being a notch lower than Yamaha and Honda quality wise. Kawi was in the same boat until pretty recently. Anyone who's read enough bike reviews has heard about Suzuki's infamous 'squawky' clutch. A full hinson setup is close to $1000.. Don't even want to know how much a shop charges to yank a clutch a put a new one in.
Hasn't that been the hot setup to do on crf450's from 09 on there was lots of articles about fixing the crf's clutch in 09 10...
Hasn't that been the hot setup to do on crf450's from 09 on there was lots of articles about fixing the crf's clutch in 09 10 11 12 etc.
Could be a good upgrade on other bikes, but I've heard the stock clutch on Suzuki's can get notches in the basket and hardly even work after very few hours. Almost more of a design flaw than a maintenance wear item. Honda could have some bad years too, but I swear, every MXA Suzuki test I've ever read, they complain about the clutch wearing out fast.
mister2dt
2/5/2019 3:45pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
Hasn't that been the hot setup to do on crf450's from 09 on there was lots of articles about fixing the crf's clutch in 09 10...
BikeGuy321 wrote:
Could be a good upgrade on other bikes, but I've heard the stock clutch on Suzuki's can get notches in the basket and hardly even work...
Could be a good upgrade on other bikes, but I've heard the stock clutch on Suzuki's can get notches in the basket and hardly even work after very few hours. Almost more of a design flaw than a maintenance wear item. Honda could have some bad years too, but I swear, every MXA Suzuki test I've ever read, they complain about the clutch wearing out fast.
It isnt a design flaw, its a material flaw. A softer alloy is used in castings.

The Shop

2/5/2019 3:53pm
Notches in a couple of hours lol please please go buy a new rm and try to notch the basket within a couple of hours. The idiocracy of the users of this site never fails to amaze me.
BikeGuy321
2/5/2019 3:56pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
Could be a good upgrade on other bikes, but I've heard the stock clutch on Suzuki's can get notches in the basket and hardly even work...
mister2dt wrote:
It isnt a design flaw, its a material flaw. A softer alloy is used in castings.
That makes sense. Geez, I wonder how much money it saves them per bike? Couldn't be thaaat much, since they make loads of em at a time.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1724th
2/5/2019 4:02pm
I’ve only read complaints with holding power in shootouts...
malachi177
2/5/2019 4:34pm
Notches in a couple of hours lol please please go buy a new rm and try to notch the basket within a couple of hours. The...
Notches in a couple of hours lol please please go buy a new rm and try to notch the basket within a couple of hours. The idiocracy of the users of this site never fails to amaze me.
No kidding. From guys who don’t even own an RMZ . But they “read” it lmao. Over 80 hrs on my ‘14 and have the stock basket stil. Two sets of plates. So much BS!!
Racer111
2/5/2019 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2019 6:53pm
Racer111 wrote:
Most cupcakes can’t kickstart one. It’s ok. Need someone to ride it for you as well, Nancy?
You're right Racer111, I kickstart my bike and then eat my elk steak that I killed and cooked with my bare hands because I'm so manly...
You're right Racer111, I kickstart my bike and then eat my elk steak that I killed and cooked with my bare hands because I'm so manly and the sheer amount of testosterone radiating from me simply overwhelms electric starts.

I also ride a twin shock, drum brake, air cooled dirtbike because if you don't you may as well be a fucking quad rider.
You were obviously offended. Therefore, you’re not manly. And let’s face it. You can’t kill an Elk OR cook with your bare hands. I HAVE to call bullshit on this one. WinkCool
BikeGuy321
2/5/2019 7:12pm
Notches in a couple of hours lol please please go buy a new rm and try to notch the basket within a couple of hours. The...
malachi177 wrote:
No kidding. From guys who don’t even own an RMZ . But they “read” it lmao. Over 80 hrs on my ‘14 and have the stock...
No kidding. From guys who don’t even own an RMZ . But they “read” it lmao. Over 80 hrs on my ‘14 and have the stock basket stil. Two sets of plates. So much BS!!
Blink 80 whole hours in 4 years!? Take it easy on that thing bro, you're gonna run it into the ground! BlinkLaughingLaughing
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/5/2019 8:10pm
ruy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/05/323467/s1200_26231208_1959418164076051_4984493356165166273_n.jpg[/img]

The problem in this picture isn’t the Suzuki it’s his goggle strap position.
mxrudi
2/5/2019 10:57pm
malachi177 wrote:
No kidding. From guys who don’t even own an RMZ . But they “read” it lmao. Over 80 hrs on my ‘14 and have the stock...
BikeGuy321 wrote:
Blink 80 whole hours in 4 years!? Take it easy on that thing bro, you're gonna run it into the ground! BlinkLaughingLaughing
I have a 17 RMZ with 90hrs stock clutch still. It doesn't fade and it feels and looks fresh. And I race, just don't practice starts. Fuck those MXA guys, I think they write BS like that because they not agree with Suzuki not having e-start, or cuz it's heavier then some other bikes, consequently just everything suck.
flatout111
2/5/2019 11:29pm
I've rode KTM since 2002.i used to ride orange mainly because they were different. (Not so much anymore.) Heck, you're talking to the person who loved the look of Lamson's Husky because it, too, was different.

I mean, for reals, none of these bikes have ever held me back. I can admit that fact, plainly. They're all better than I am. So, honestly, I buy for ergos and looks and, to me, the KTM bikes have been the most attractive. And sure e start is cool but I've had a few issues over the years as well so there you go. Still, Suzuki needs it.

But I gotta admit, behind my preference for KTM's ergo/look thing, Suzuki is number two. Those JGR bikes are works of art and even stock the new Zooks look great.

It is what it is and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Smile

Manbearpig
2/6/2019 12:43am
agn5009 wrote:
I’ve had a lot of bikes and my 2006 RM 250 was by far my favorite bike I’ve ever had behind my new Husky 300.
I regrettably sold my 06 RM250 and now have an 18 husky tx300. The husky is smooth and nice but my zook had a better motor and handling hands down.
2/6/2019 10:52am
ruy wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/05/323467/s1200_26231208_1959418164076051_4984493356165166273_n.jpg[/img]

mx510 wrote:
The problem in this picture isn’t the Suzuki it’s his goggle strap position.
The problem is he sent it to Orange County Choppers for some customization.
ruy
2/7/2019 1:50am

2/7/2019 7:44am
As recent as 2012, the seemingly broad consensus was that it performed well. I suppose the other manufactures have made leaps since then but to me that doesn’t make the RMZ a terrible bike.
captmoto
2/7/2019 1:00pm
BobPA wrote:
Then I guess e-start is opening the doors for more people to ride motorcycles? Sounds like an upside to me. My 300XC has a kickstart back...
Then I guess e-start is opening the doors for more people to ride motorcycles? Sounds like an upside to me. My 300XC has a kickstart back up, I’ve kicked it a handful of times...Just to remember how much my sore knee hates it.
I just went out and booted a YZ465 that has been sitting for 6 months about 15 times to get it started. This is on a total knee replacement from May of last year. It was kind of a test for me. I am going to push the button on my FC450 here in a couple minutes. I already know what I prefer.
BR8ES
2/7/2019 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2019 1:05pm
TYLER TOLDED ME THEY ARE THE FASTIST AND MOST BESTIST BIKES IN TEXAS
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/7/2019 1:16pm
BR8ES wrote:
TYLER TOLDED ME THEY ARE THE FASTIST AND MOST BESTIST BIKES IN TEXAS
BUTT AR U FORM TEXAS?
2/7/2019 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2019 2:09pm
Racer111 wrote:
You were obviously offended. Therefore, you’re not manly. And let’s face it. You can’t kill an Elk OR cook with your bare hands. I HAVE to...
You were obviously offended. Therefore, you’re not manly. And let’s face it. You can’t kill an Elk OR cook with your bare hands. I HAVE to call bullshit on this one. WinkCool
Not offended at all, as isn't offensive, it's just unfunny and a tired cliché. I really pointing out that there are people in this sport that actively shame technological advancements.

These are the same people that bitched about EFI back in 2009; It's a good thing the OEMs listened to them too. All I hear from my buddies at the track is how much they miss jetting carbs.
motomike894
2/7/2019 3:28pm
I actually prefer the OEM clutch ( plates and springs ) over the Hinson on my 18, pulls better, the springs are on weak side on the oem so if you use it a lot it will get play quick, but the Hinson acts funny on my 18 mostly just at the starts, its really odd, I have used tons of Hinson clutches and never had an issue until this bike, but itll grab funny and sometimes makes a noise if use it hard, never had this happen before on other RMZ's or other bikes, it never did it with OEM clutch plates and spring in it either.

I replaced the basket last fall thinking the rubbers were shot cause the basket had more play than it should have and was maybe causing the grabbing with the Hinson plates in it, but it had zero wear on it, well it still hade more play than it should once new basket was on, its like the bearing or spacer on the shaft need to be a hair larger OD or something, I replaced the bearing and spacer too.

I am going to put a OEM clutch kit back in it before spring.

Anyway that's only issue I have ever had with any of the 4 RMZ's I have owned.

Post a reply to: Why does/did everyone dislike Suzuki's?

The Latest