Why does anyone listen to Keefer?

Kris Keefer
1/17/2019 7:22pm
Hey guys.. These types of threads pop up once every few months or so and I absolutely know that my website/podcast/reviews aren’t for EVERYONE out there...
Hey guys.. These types of threads pop up once every few months or so and I absolutely know that my website/podcast/reviews aren’t for EVERYONE out there. I get it. I really wish I could make EVERYONE happy, but the simple truth is, I learned the hard way that I can't.

With that being said however I started my company so there was transparency with media testing. No matter how I feel or what I think (good or bad) I want to let all of you (consumers) know about it. I am not the GOSPEL of testing nor have I ever claimed to be. I have preached in my previous pods to go to the trusted source that you feel secure with. If it is Vital, Michael, Jody, Donn or just your buddy down the street, by ALL MEANS LISTEN TO THEM. I am trying to bring all of my years of OEM testing knowledge to you guys and have it accessible to you in case you have questions about your purchases. I felt the accessibility for the average guy wasn't there in our industry, so I opened myself up and answer 95% of the questions I get sent to my email. I felt like most media outlets were unreachable/untouchable and neglected the consumer (past what they put in print or on the web). I really try hard to give you my honest opinion on everything that you may have questions about. BUT THAT IS ALL IT IS. IT'S MY EDUCATED HONEST OPINION. It's not the gospel or the good book! If you think my opinion is shit, I understand, it's cool.

I do love a Yamaha, KTM and Husqvarna's A LOT! Why? Because they are great machines for 2019. This doesn't mean that all other bikes are piles of crap though. If you listen to my pods I explain why the Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda's are all great in there own right. I spent my own money on a 2019 Honda CRF450R and Husqvarna FC450 Rockstar Edition so to say I am biased towards certain brands is complete BS.

Do I like 250F's? YES! Do I prefer it? No! However I can tell what a good 250 four stroke is and how to pick it apart for the average consumer. That was my job at many OEM's for many years! I have seen and tested a lot of stuff and continue to do so. Unlike a professional factory motocross test rider, production test riders (like myself) have to come up with a setting that the average consumer will be happy with and that is what goes onto the dealership floors. I continue that trend with Keefer INC. I am not here just to let you guys know about what type of bike is right for me, I am here to fill you in on what type of bike may be right for you. Again, if you trust in me and the way I evaluate then I will do what I can for you. If you don't, it's fine there are tons of other test riders out there to listen to.

PS. I don't talk shit on Michael. He is a smart kid that has a big heart and is very technical with his evaluations. I think Vital is going to have a huge hole in their testing department with him not being there. Will I give him shit? Yes! Absolutely. That's what buddies do!

Oh and yes I am not a fan of two-strokes, but we will be testing more of these in 2019. The real answer is that I have to prioritize my work. I am not a huge company so I do MOST of the work/tests/evaluations/riding/pods/articles myself. I am trying to get more help and promise not to neglect two-strokes just because I don't care for them. They are popular and people purchase them so we will test them over here!

For those that listen to Pulp MX and Keefer Tested, thank you. For those of you that don't, it's ok, l am good with that. Hope to see you at the track someday to hopefully change your mind! -KK
ML512 wrote:
One thing...can we still share PJ for photos? LaughingWink
No. He has to pick a side!!!! ?
Jrewing
1/17/2019 7:31pm
Btw my son thinks you’re the best cohost on Pulp and laughed a lot with your shootout with your own son Aden.
Solidkm
1/17/2019 7:34pm
Hey guys.. These types of threads pop up once every few months or so and I absolutely know that my website/podcast/reviews aren’t for EVERYONE out there...
Hey guys.. These types of threads pop up once every few months or so and I absolutely know that my website/podcast/reviews aren’t for EVERYONE out there. I get it. I really wish I could make EVERYONE happy, but the simple truth is, I learned the hard way that I can't.

With that being said however I started my company so there was transparency with media testing. No matter how I feel or what I think (good or bad) I want to let all of you (consumers) know about it. I am not the GOSPEL of testing nor have I ever claimed to be. I have preached in my previous pods to go to the trusted source that you feel secure with. If it is Vital, Michael, Jody, Donn or just your buddy down the street, by ALL MEANS LISTEN TO THEM. I am trying to bring all of my years of OEM testing knowledge to you guys and have it accessible to you in case you have questions about your purchases. I felt the accessibility for the average guy wasn't there in our industry, so I opened myself up and answer 95% of the questions I get sent to my email. I felt like most media outlets were unreachable/untouchable and neglected the consumer (past what they put in print or on the web). I really try hard to give you my honest opinion on everything that you may have questions about. BUT THAT IS ALL IT IS. IT'S MY EDUCATED HONEST OPINION. It's not the gospel or the good book! If you think my opinion is shit, I understand, it's cool.

I do love a Yamaha, KTM and Husqvarna's A LOT! Why? Because they are great machines for 2019. This doesn't mean that all other bikes are piles of crap though. If you listen to my pods I explain why the Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda's are all great in there own right. I spent my own money on a 2019 Honda CRF450R and Husqvarna FC450 Rockstar Edition so to say I am biased towards certain brands is complete BS.

Do I like 250F's? YES! Do I prefer it? No! However I can tell what a good 250 four stroke is and how to pick it apart for the average consumer. That was my job at many OEM's for many years! I have seen and tested a lot of stuff and continue to do so. Unlike a professional factory motocross test rider, production test riders (like myself) have to come up with a setting that the average consumer will be happy with and that is what goes onto the dealership floors. I continue that trend with Keefer INC. I am not here just to let you guys know about what type of bike is right for me, I am here to fill you in on what type of bike may be right for you. Again, if you trust in me and the way I evaluate then I will do what I can for you. If you don't, it's fine there are tons of other test riders out there to listen to.

PS. I don't talk shit on Michael. He is a smart kid that has a big heart and is very technical with his evaluations. I think Vital is going to have a huge hole in their testing department with him not being there. Will I give him shit? Yes! Absolutely. That's what buddies do!

Oh and yes I am not a fan of two-strokes, but we will be testing more of these in 2019. The real answer is that I have to prioritize my work. I am not a huge company so I do MOST of the work/tests/evaluations/riding/pods/articles myself. I am trying to get more help and promise not to neglect two-strokes just because I don't care for them. They are popular and people purchase them so we will test them over here!

For those that listen to Pulp MX and Keefer Tested, thank you. For those of you that don't, it's ok, l am good with that. Hope to see you at the track someday to hopefully change your mind! -KK
You didn’t need to answer that dude. Most everyone here is on your team. Keep doing what you’re doing!

Oh, and can you test the Mx Tech A48r/ leaf mid valve soon?
Ron_Shuler
1/17/2019 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 7:57pm
I don't understand why so many people think Keefer is "no BS", to me he is ALL BS. He has definite bias toward KTM and YAm...
I don't understand why so many people think Keefer is "no BS", to me he is ALL BS.
He has definite bias toward KTM and YAm, he thinks they do no wrong, and he talks shit to other testers like ML who disagree. Typical Pro who thinks he knows more than anyone slower than him.
At first I was wondering why would some one post something like this but then reading your past post here on Vital it's obvious you have a Chip on your shoulder for some reason. You probably are butt hurt since you feel Keefer may not talk up the Kawi as much as you like since your a Kawi Fan Boy and you did mention you don't care for Travis Preston so that's why you don't like Yam. You really should get over your self or maybe start your own Pod cast since you think your opinion really means that much.

I have known Keefer for over 20 years he is a stand up guy and is pure Moto Guy at the core he started out as a kid just like the rest of us and has worked hard to get where he is to this day. Kris has THOUSANDS of hours testing and testing for different company's and at the factory level, you don't get to do this stuff if your a BS guy especially testing pre-production bikes they find out really quick if you don't know what your doing.

The Shop

wsc96
Fantasy
451st
1/17/2019 7:42pm
I like what he has put out and he has taken the time to answer a couple of questions i’ve had in the past.

As with everything in life, everyone needs to exercise some critical thinking skills.
cable
1/17/2019 7:43pm
I just came here for pics of his wife.. Love Keefer on the pulpmx show. 47yrs in mx and its nice to listen to someone with knowledge and a cool personality.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/17/2019 7:46pm
slipdog wrote:
So ML is leaving Vital?
ML512 wrote:
Whistling
tempura wrote:
The cats out the bag, where’s next Lindsey?
Who is this Lindsey you speak of? Is she nice?

I got something up my sleeve, I’ll be around here a bit longer, but it’s coming...

Well, actually, let’s be honest...I’m addicted to this place, I won’t leave the community, I just won’t be working here.
bigk218
Fantasy
3159th
1/17/2019 7:53pm

ML512 wrote:
One thing...can we still share PJ for photos? LaughingWink
No. He has to pick a side!!!! ?
Keefer you are the man have no need to even acknowledge this thread. Let alone justify anything you do.
tempura
1/17/2019 8:00pm
ML512 wrote:
Whistling
tempura wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Who is this Lindsey you speak of? Is she nice? I got something up my sleeve, I’ll be around here a bit longer, but it’s coming...

I got something up my sleeve, I’ll be around here a bit longer, but it’s coming...

Well, actually, let’s be honest...I’m addicted to this place, I won’t leave the community, I just won’t be working here.
Oh..! You’ve had me fooled all this time..must be the long flowing hairWink
Good luck with the next venture, Lindsay, wherever that may take you.
Talisker
1/17/2019 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 8:11pm
Keefer love your work and appreciate the info on products from your point of view. Congrats on being self employed, and calling your own shots. Its not easy to do, thats why 90% of vital members have everyday real jobs. Im 42 and have been self employed since I was 29. I will pass on some of the best advice i was ever given, and hope you will pass these words of wisdom on to someone else one day.
Don't ever explain yourself to ordinary, common people who have normal lives and jobs. They don't understand, and they never will.
Keep on Space Truckin, D
jeffro503
1/17/2019 8:11pm
ML512 wrote:
Whistling
tempura wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Who is this Lindsey you speak of? Is she nice? I got something up my sleeve, I’ll be around here a bit longer, but it’s coming...

Get the fuck out you bastard! Laughing

Just kiddin'! But really? Who the hell is taking over bike / parts testing and so forth? Are there other changes coming to this place we don't know about? GuyB ?
Brosho
1/17/2019 8:57pm
I don't understand why so many people think Keefer is "no BS", to me he is ALL BS. He has definite bias toward KTM and YAm...
I don't understand why so many people think Keefer is "no BS", to me he is ALL BS.
He has definite bias toward KTM and YAm, he thinks they do no wrong, and he talks shit to other testers like ML who disagree. Typical Pro who thinks he knows more than anyone slower than him.
I always look forward to listening to his podcast. I love his opinions / perspective on bikes and parts and equipment, and his humor.
Yz229
1/17/2019 9:40pm
Keefer is a cool guy, had some suspension questions and he helped me out! Did not have to take the time out of his day to do so. You can test ride my YZ315 stroker at Pala. Maybe you will like two strokes then!
STLSharky
1/17/2019 9:46pm
It could be argued that KTM and Yamaha produce the 2 best production bikes right now. He's also slightly taller from what I've seen and those...
It could be argued that KTM and Yamaha produce the 2 best production bikes right now. He's also slightly taller from what I've seen and those 2 bikes could just "fit" him better. We're all partial to what feels good bro.
Ding ding ding
peelout
1/17/2019 10:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2019 10:34pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I think the guy has his own perspective and he’s honest in his analysis of what he thinks makes a good bike worth owning...or not.
I've always been a get on and twist it kinda guy, for testing purposes I wouldn't be a particle of dust in the wind compared to this Keefer guy. As for the two stroke thing, yo Keefe I'll let it go this time bro
Rab
1/17/2019 11:16pm
Keefer is the man, met him a few weeks back at the local track and am now a bigger fan of him/his work.
yz133rider
1/17/2019 11:46pm
I think keefer puts out alot of great content and a lot of great technical insights. My only gripe is I'm not all in on these podcasts. I dont have the patience for 1-2.5 hrs of audio for something that used to be like 5 minutes of reading. Sometimes its like 50 minutes into listening before the topic really gets going too at least to me.

Butttttt obviously its working for many others and its great content if you have the time and patience and attention span lol
Sierra Ranger
1/18/2019 12:43am
Consider that his content is free...take it for what you will. He is accessible- I emailed him about a pipe choice and he wrote right back and I bought the pipe, and it worked out great.
1/18/2019 2:13am
Definite bias, terrible relationship advice, but I still like him....
CPR
1/18/2019 3:54am
So Imagonnagetahardon makes a BS post and not one additional comment, but three pages later.....I'd say he achieved what he set out to do.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
1/18/2019 4:28am
Sounds like the OP really doesn't listen to Kris. He generally seems to say something good about all the bikes. Provides excellent info on each bike too. We use his advise when setting up all our new bikes. We happened to park beside him at GH one day and he could not have been more cool. Down to earth and a funny guy, I think he is certainly a benefit to our community!!! He is my favorite Pulp co host too!
mmain62
1/18/2019 4:31am
Thanks motoarmageddon for helping Keefer get his name out there more!! Keefer is the bomb. I absolutely love everything he does and trust his tech tips and opinions.
bultokid
1/18/2019 4:35am
Keep on keeping on brother....you can't please every idiot
Paul333
1/18/2019 6:16am
Keefer is awesome. I read & listen to everything he puts out. Simply outstanding.

GPrider
1/18/2019 6:38am
love Keefer, thanks for all the info you share!
Joko
Fantasy
190th
1/18/2019 6:48am
yz133rider wrote:
I think keefer puts out alot of great content and a lot of great technical insights. My only gripe is I'm not all in on these...
I think keefer puts out alot of great content and a lot of great technical insights. My only gripe is I'm not all in on these podcasts. I dont have the patience for 1-2.5 hrs of audio for something that used to be like 5 minutes of reading. Sometimes its like 50 minutes into listening before the topic really gets going too at least to me.

Butttttt obviously its working for many others and its great content if you have the time and patience and attention span lol
I’d like to see Kris test the YZ315 !
jonboy688
1/18/2019 6:54am
i look forward to the pictures of keefer's wife...... and she is deft a keeper to walk around the house breaking in his boots! i enjoy his content and helps pass time on long drives listening to the podcasts
JBlain619
1/18/2019 7:00am

I have emailed Keefer on a couple of different occasions and he has always responded within a few hours, not days, weeks, or not at all. In his emails, he has always sent the settings he would "recommend" but always follows it up with "if this isn't what you like try..." For me, he has been spot on in a majority of what he recommends, especially suspension settings. If there was one thing I would like to see him do, is get to the east coast and do some testing. I know it would be a logistical nightmare but since that is what I do for a living, I would be more than happy to help! Laughing And as his company grows, I'm sure it will be more difficult for him to give each email the attention that it deserves.

Good on you Keefer, keep it coming!

Post a reply to: Why does anyone listen to Keefer?

The Latest