Why do some shops offer no discounts?

motoGleamer
Fantasy
499th
Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 6:11pm
Just curious if anyone knows the reasoning behind this. I called a few shops to see about discounts on remaining 2020 KX450s. One place is at $7500 plus tax and the other is at $9300 plus fees and tax and has no interest in reducing the price further.

Is this there any reason that one shop wouldnt budge from MSRP while the other is willing to give a much better deal?
|
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/3/2020 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 2:59pm
Just curious if anyone knows the reasoning behind this. I called a few shops to see about discounts on remaining 2020 KX450s. One place is at...
Just curious if anyone knows the reasoning behind this. I called a few shops to see about discounts on remaining 2020 KX450s. One place is at $7500 plus tax and the other is at $9300 plus fees and tax and has no interest in reducing the price further.

Is this there any reason that one shop wouldnt budge from MSRP while the other is willing to give a much better deal?
I guess until you know the OTD number it's hard to compare ? The $7,500' price you quoted was "plus tax", but no fees. The $9,300' price says "plus tax and fees". What are the fees for the 7500 bike ? Are the 2 different prices apples vs apples ? Did you forget "plus fees" on the first one ? Having said that, I don't why other than maybe one shop has more overhead than the other ? Maybe one shop has a percentage he knows he has to make and doesn't care about being the lowest priced shop around ? Probably lots of reasons. I bought a KTM500exc in August of last year. I drove about 65 miles (one way) and saved somewhere north of fifteen hundred dollars. That was Orange county vs San Diego county. Same thing when I bought my kids CRF250, Easily saved over fifteen hundred bucks by driving from Orange county to Victorville.

Edit : I just saw your from Beverly Hills, Was the 9300 dollar quote from the Kawasaki dealer on Rodeo Drive ? lol
APLMAN99
5/3/2020 3:34pm
Just curious if anyone knows the reasoning behind this. I called a few shops to see about discounts on remaining 2020 KX450s. One place is at...

The shop that didn’t offer you a discount over the phone is probably a successful shop that realizes there isn’t a great reason to bid against themselves to a random caller.

If the salesperson knew you, knew if you were a serious buyer, etc, then it would probably make sense for them to discount their product for you. Otherwise there’s little benefit for them to lower the value of their inventory.

Personally I’d be interested in what would occur if you went in to each dealer. My gut feeling is that the dealership that quoted you the lowest price would end up trying to stick you to a higher overall sales total than what you are being lead to believe. I wouldn’t be surprised if the dealership that quoted you the higher price would be willing to sharpen their pencil if they believed that you were actually a serious buyer, rather than just an anonymous price caller.
yz133rider
5/3/2020 4:04pm

APLMAN99 wrote:
The shop that didn’t offer you a discount over the phone is probably a successful shop that realizes there isn’t a great reason to bid against...
The shop that didn’t offer you a discount over the phone is probably a successful shop that realizes there isn’t a great reason to bid against themselves to a random caller.

If the salesperson knew you, knew if you were a serious buyer, etc, then it would probably make sense for them to discount their product for you. Otherwise there’s little benefit for them to lower the value of their inventory.

Personally I’d be interested in what would occur if you went in to each dealer. My gut feeling is that the dealership that quoted you the lowest price would end up trying to stick you to a higher overall sales total than what you are being lead to believe. I wouldn’t be surprised if the dealership that quoted you the higher price would be willing to sharpen their pencil if they believed that you were actually a serious buyer, rather than just an anonymous price caller.
Yeah that isnt my experience at all. Just ask what the out the door price is over the phone. Avoid all the nonsense.
slipdog
5/3/2020 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 4:08pm

sumdood wrote:
I guess until you know the OTD number it's hard to compare ? The $7,500' price you quoted was "plus tax", but no fees. The $9,300'...
I guess until you know the OTD number it's hard to compare ? The $7,500' price you quoted was "plus tax", but no fees. The $9,300' price says "plus tax and fees". What are the fees for the 7500 bike ? Are the 2 different prices apples vs apples ? Did you forget "plus fees" on the first one ? Having said that, I don't why other than maybe one shop has more overhead than the other ? Maybe one shop has a percentage he knows he has to make and doesn't care about being the lowest priced shop around ? Probably lots of reasons. I bought a KTM500exc in August of last year. I drove about 65 miles (one way) and saved somewhere north of fifteen hundred dollars. That was Orange county vs San Diego county. Same thing when I bought my kids CRF250, Easily saved over fifteen hundred bucks by driving from Orange county to Victorville.

Edit : I just saw your from Beverly Hills, Was the 9300 dollar quote from the Kawasaki dealer on Rodeo Drive ? lol

The Shop

Brad460
Fantasy
736th
5/3/2020 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 4:33pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
The shop that didn’t offer you a discount over the phone is probably a successful shop that realizes there isn’t a great reason to bid against...

Completely wrong...I’ve bought multiple things from dealerships by phone and got great prices (discounts) and in my experience these have been the best dealers.

Have you ever bought anything from a dealer?! Doesn’t seem like it...
motoGleamer
Fantasy
499th
5/3/2020 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2020 7:01pm

APLMAN99 wrote:

I respect what you're saying but I've been to the dealer in person. I've been trying to give them business since theyre a small local dealer. I'd even be willing to pay a little more to give them the business. In the summer of 2018 I tried to buy a 2017 yz450f. They wouldnt go below $8200 plus taxes. I drove an hour to another shop and bought a brand new 2018 yz450f for $7400 plus tax out the door. Theres no way to justify paying $800 more for a year older bike, especially when the new model is a completely new design.

Also the other shop isnt doing a phone discount for the kx450. Its listed on their website for $7500. I just called to confirm they werent adding a bunch of bs fees and they said no, just "plus tax".
nytsmaC
5/3/2020 11:50pm
Might be worth going in to that dealer and telling them how it is. I like to support local too. Give them a chance to show you that they want your business. If they make it clear that they don’t care, make the drive and keep your extra $800. If being up front and honest with them doesn’t work then it’s a lost cause.
navalseabee
5/4/2020 2:41am
Have a dealer like that near me. So I drove an hour thirty and saved almost 2k. That dealer was "sure" when I got there they were going to stick me with extra fees and what not....they were wrong....again. I should have taken them my invoice
kb228
5/4/2020 2:53am
If the shop knows they can sell that bike for full MSRP why would they move? Maybe they have a lot of interest and the other possibly smaller shop doesnt and needs to move the bike for a lower price.

Lots of reasons.
MotoGUY
5/4/2020 4:29am
I own a motorcycle dealership and it costs 140K to open the doors every month. If a shop isn’t quick to sell you something at invoice and wait 30 days on $300 worth of a hold back. Don’t take it personally the motocross bike business alone can’t keep any motorcycle shop open. We tell customers our best price is inside the store and dealers all pay the same for units from the OEM. We have probably lost some deals but we have a great facility and staff and we charge more to offer better services than someone who has a low overhead and no staff and can whore stuff out.
yz133rider
5/4/2020 5:17am
MotoGUY wrote:
I own a motorcycle dealership and it costs 140K to open the doors every month. If a shop isn’t quick to sell you something at invoice...
I own a motorcycle dealership and it costs 140K to open the doors every month. If a shop isn’t quick to sell you something at invoice and wait 30 days on $300 worth of a hold back. Don’t take it personally the motocross bike business alone can’t keep any motorcycle shop open. We tell customers our best price is inside the store and dealers all pay the same for units from the OEM. We have probably lost some deals but we have a great facility and staff and we charge more to offer better services than someone who has a low overhead and no staff and can whore stuff out.
The only service i really want from a dealer is agressive pricing and no bs sale tactics like 1500 in extra fees on top of the listed price.

Other people's needs vary. But thats literally all im after.
philG
5/4/2020 7:10am
We never discounted over the phone... turn up, with cash.. haggle.. if you arent there in person you arent buying.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
5/4/2020 7:14am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2020 7:16am

APLMAN99 wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
Yeah that isnt my experience at all. Just ask what the out the door price is over the phone. Avoid all the nonsense.
Most dealers I’ve ever dealt with in So Cal will not give an OTD price unless the seem to know you on a pretty decent personal level. You can tell them you’re paying cash and they still want you to come down before an OTD price is given. That’s my experience and a few friends have had the same. I did have 1 shop near by that gave me a ballpark OTD price(it was within $30 of our actual OTD price) for a PW50. We went and bought it from them two days later.
ricky racer
5/4/2020 7:14am
If the dealer knows he can sell it for full price, why would he discount it??
SweetDaddy
5/4/2020 7:42am

If u live in Beverly Hills you can afford MSRP
mikec265
5/4/2020 8:09am

SweetDaddy wrote:
Or maybe that's why he can't. You can't judge on those details. I drive a 15 year old mini with an over 800 credit score, and money in the bank) investments. I look poor. My buddy has an expensive diesel pickup, mediocre credit, and not much else. He looks like money on the street, but is financially upside down in reality.
Lightning78
5/4/2020 8:12am

SweetDaddy wrote:
Maybe he spends more than he reasonably should to live there 🤣 .... god knows I paid extra to live close to the ocean in Huntington for close to 20 years and it was worth every extra penny vs anywhere Inland.

Having worked for a dealer for almost 5 years I know they dont "desk" deals over the phone bec they want you to come in so the can "sell" you the bike. Sounds like a basic process but it's a little more complicated. Once you're there and they know you're serious they'll usually drop their shorts to keep you from leaving. That's every sales managers thing "Dont let them leave" but not in a bad way, they know once a potential buyer leaves, theres a significant chance they wont be back to buy said bike.

Cash is king and sometimes you can negotiate price super low making wether you're financing or paying cash ambiguous. You're likely to get a better otd price if they think you're financing .....then you tell them you're just gonna pay cash (if you're able to).

Best financing options are not from a dealer, I've seen some SERIOUS hanky panky going on with dealer financing. Nothing illegal but large "approved interest rate" markups, front end loaded financing, revolving-daily compounding interest loans ....all hard to pay off stuff.....credit unions are the way to go.
yz133rider
5/4/2020 8:13am

SweetDaddy wrote:
mikec265 wrote:
Or maybe that's why he can't. You can't judge on those details. I drive a 15 year old mini with an over 800 credit score, and...
Or maybe that's why he can't. You can't judge on those details. I drive a 15 year old mini with an over 800 credit score, and money in the bank) investments. I look poor. My buddy has an expensive diesel pickup, mediocre credit, and not much else. He looks like money on the street, but is financially upside down in reality.
You also don't really get to where you can afford to overpay, by overpaying. You get there by being smart and looking for deals wherever you can. So to potentially over pay by 1500+ to throw money away and get the same product is a total waste.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
5/4/2020 8:35am
SweetDaddy wrote:
Or maybe he can afford to live in Beverly Hills because he's smart with money ? My guess (and this is just a guess) is that he probably can afford to pay the 2 grand extra but why should he ? Because of the zip code he lives in ?
motoGleamer
Fantasy
499th
5/4/2020 8:43am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2020 8:44am

SweetDaddy wrote:
I dont live in Beverly Hills lol. I live in Colorado. I used 90210 as my zip. Do vitards think people from Beverly Hills are actually on a moto forum?

Also, I can afford MSRP and only pay cash for my bikes. But I'm not gonna pay MSRP when places an hour away are discounting them $2000.

When places offer you discounts do you turn them down and demand to pay full MSRP since you can "afford" it?

Panic_Rev
5/4/2020 8:50am
philG wrote:
We never discounted over the phone... turn up, with cash.. haggle.. if you arent there in person you arent buying.
I bought over the phone this year with a dealer that didn't know me. Walked in, paid the amount negotiated, and walked out with a new bike in about 30 minutes. $7,500 for a leftover'19 KTM 350sxf.
motoGleamer
Fantasy
499th
5/4/2020 8:51am
So many salty haters for Beverly Hills Laughing You guys made Luke Perry cry.

KMC440
5/4/2020 8:53am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2020 8:55am

SweetDaddy wrote:
THANK YOU ! ! !

LUKE .... I'M YOUR FATHER ....

cmon it's the only day that works.
5/4/2020 9:21am
Sad part is, the only thing I really need the dealer for today is the bike. I have a local dealer here that I like all the people. Super friendly, call you by name as you walk in guys. But their pricing is way high on motocross bikes. And when I am buying a 450 for me and a 250 for my son at the same time I need a great price. They honestly have told me three times, when given the other guys price 30 minutes away, if you can buy it for that, go buy it. I cant sell it for that price. Sad but true.

The other thing is, how many of us only need the dealer for the bike? We do all our own maintenance and service. And parts are discounted so much online and on my door step they next morning, you cant afford to not use this type service. If I could buy a bike online for a great price and have it delivered, I would.
Mr. Afterbar
5/4/2020 9:38am

APLMAN99 wrote:

I respect what you're saying but I've been to the dealer in person. I've been trying to give them business since theyre a small local dealer...
I respect what you're saying but I've been to the dealer in person. I've been trying to give them business since theyre a small local dealer. I'd even be willing to pay a little more to give them the business. In the summer of 2018 I tried to buy a 2017 yz450f. They wouldnt go below $8200 plus taxes. I drove an hour to another shop and bought a brand new 2018 yz450f for $7400 plus tax out the door. Theres no way to justify paying $800 more for a year older bike, especially when the new model is a completely new design.

Also the other shop isnt doing a phone discount for the kx450. Its listed on their website for $7500. I just called to confirm they werent adding a bunch of bs fees and they said no, just "plus tax".
I've paid less than $7500 otd for my last two KX 450s. Whoever is selling them for $9300 or anywhere near it is trying to pocket money from Kawasaki factory direct rebates.
Mr. Afterbar
5/4/2020 9:45am
If the dealer knows he can sell it for full price, why would he discount it??
Kawasaki has rebates for the consumer to help sell old stock. I bet Kawasaki themselves wouldn't be very happy to hear of any dealership that the rebate is not being passed along to the customer.
motoGleamer
Fantasy
499th
5/4/2020 9:55am
APLMAN99 wrote:

I respect what you're saying but I've been to the dealer in person. I've been trying to give them business since theyre a small local dealer...

I've paid less than $7500 otd for my last two KX 450s. Whoever is selling them for $9300 or anywhere near it is trying to pocket...
I've paid less than $7500 otd for my last two KX 450s. Whoever is selling them for $9300 or anywhere near it is trying to pocket money from Kawasaki factory direct rebates.
I heard in Beverly Hills you're supposed to disregard the factory rebates and show up with a suitcase full of cash chained to your wrist and offer to pay higher than MSRP.

If you cant afford to do that then you're probably poor and have a low credit score and you probably wear socks with your sandals.
mister2dt
5/4/2020 9:58am

SweetDaddy wrote:
Maybe he spends more than he reasonably should to live there 🤣 .... god knows I paid extra to live close to the ocean in Huntington...
Maybe he spends more than he reasonably should to live there 🤣 .... god knows I paid extra to live close to the ocean in Huntington for close to 20 years and it was worth every extra penny vs anywhere Inland.

Having worked for a dealer for almost 5 years I know they dont "desk" deals over the phone bec they want you to come in so the can "sell" you the bike. Sounds like a basic process but it's a little more complicated. Once you're there and they know you're serious they'll usually drop their shorts to keep you from leaving. That's every sales managers thing "Dont let them leave" but not in a bad way, they know once a potential buyer leaves, theres a significant chance they wont be back to buy said bike.

Cash is king and sometimes you can negotiate price super low making wether you're financing or paying cash ambiguous. You're likely to get a better otd price if they think you're financing .....then you tell them you're just gonna pay cash (if you're able to).

Best financing options are not from a dealer, I've seen some SERIOUS hanky panky going on with dealer financing. Nothing illegal but large "approved interest rate" markups, front end loaded financing, revolving-daily compounding interest loans ....all hard to pay off stuff.....credit unions are the way to go.
Your last paragraph is exactly why dealers dont give a rip about cash pricing anymore and could care less about discounting for cash at point of sale. Dealers make 10 times more when they in house finance a bike. Cash is no longer king when it comes to bike purchases. Its all about the financing web of fees and add ons now.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
5/4/2020 10:42am Edited Date/Time 5/4/2020 10:48am
MotoGUY wrote:
I own a motorcycle dealership and it costs 140K to open the doors every month. If a shop isn’t quick to sell you something at invoice...
I am gonna say you lost more than “some deals”...Bought my 2015 YZ450 over the phone and email. Worked out a price and gave him a credit card down payment over the phone. Came in a few days later and completed the sale.

Did the same last week on a new tractor, the year before a new boat and a new truck.....If a dealer can’t adapt to the way a customer wants to do business (phone, email or in person) then your giving up business.

In my experience the best dealers operate this way..

I don’t always have time to come into your store and put up with the dealer antics...The more I think about it every thing I purchase from a dealer initiated via a phone call..No deal over the phone and I’ll move on to a better dealer.
Mr. Afterbar
5/4/2020 10:48am
I heard in Beverly Hills you're supposed to disregard the factory rebates and show up with a suitcase full of cash chained to your wrist and...
I heard in Beverly Hills you're supposed to disregard the factory rebates and show up with a suitcase full of cash chained to your wrist and offer to pay higher than MSRP.

If you cant afford to do that then you're probably poor and have a low credit score and you probably wear socks with your sandals.
I'm all for people who wear socks with sandals paying MSRP plus tax and fees.

Post a reply to: Why do some shops offer no discounts?

The Latest