Why did you stop wearing a neckbrace?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2018 4:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2018 4:44 PM

Whether it was a Leatt, Alpinestars, Atlas or any other, what made you stop wearing it? Don’t want to make this another neckbrace debate just curious why you stopped wearing one. Did you get hurt while wearing one? Did it become uncomfortable? Interested to read the responses.

|

9/25/2018 4:46 PM

redrider_714 wrote:

Whether it was a Leatt, Alpinestars, Atlas or any other, what made you stop wearing it? Don’t want to make this another neckbrace debate just curious why you stopped wearing one. Did you get hurt while wearing one? Did it become uncomfortable? Interested to read the responses.

I stopped wearing my Leatt when i crashed face down and it pushed into my throat really hard and knocked the wind out of me and well as breaking a few of my upper ribs(that I had no idea existed). I then switched to an Omega for a while, as it had an open front piece, but ultimately went back to just a chest protector.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

9/25/2018 4:46 PM

I still wear one, its an older leatt but im ditching it for an atlas asap

|

9/25/2018 4:50 PM

I hurt my knee, and when I came back doing wheelies and ovals I didn’t wear my leatt to fart around.

I realized how much better I felt without that contraption.

Then. I heard the Ryan Hughes podcast where he talked about them being more hinderance than help and I decided I was out on them. Haven’t looked back since.

|

9/25/2018 5:07 PM

I bought a used leatt 6.5 that was supposed to be a S/M and it was to big even on the smallest setting. I used it for a while but it felt sketchy and I felt it would jam into my neck if I crashed. I instantly felt better with the freedom of movement without it. It used to push my helmet down when I would get over the front of the bike and look up more then normal. I was using the original leatt since it came out so 10 years at least. I won't go back most likely.

|

9/25/2018 5:49 PM

I still wear my leatt brace...I don't even notice it....

|

9/25/2018 6:01 PM

Y’all seriously need to get outta your heads and try the new braces.

I couldn’t tell you wether or not I’m wearing my Atlas. Doesn’t put pressure on your sternum or spine, and flex’s with your body.

Can’t stand the Rynos of this world that toss out wild accusations from atop their soapbox.

Give one a shot, you won’t be let down

|

shit'll buff out

9/25/2018 6:05 PM

moscrop940 wrote:

Y’all seriously need to get outta your heads and try the new braces.

I couldn’t tell you wether or not I’m wearing my Atlas. Doesn’t put pressure on your sternum or spine, and flex’s with your body.

Can’t stand the Rynos of this world that toss out wild accusations from atop their soapbox.

Give one a shot, you won’t be let down

Rynos claim that you cant have correct body position with a brace is absurd, at least with the atlas.

|

9/25/2018 6:13 PM

Shattered my 6,7 and 8th vert because the back part of the brace dug into my spine during a crash. Spent 8 days in the hospital before they could operate and about 6 months recovering.

I am glad am able to walk after. I had no feeling from the chest down when it happened.

|

9/25/2018 6:17 PM

Wycked31 wrote:

Shattered my 6,7 and 8th vert because the back part of the brace dug into my spine during a crash. Spent 8 days in the hospital before they could operate and about 6 months recovering.

I am glad am able to walk after. I had no feeling from the chest down when it happened.

I would guess it wasn't an Atlas.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

9/25/2018 6:30 PM

After a month or so break from riding l forgot mine at home and at first l was a little freaked out but then l just rode and l never used it again.

I have a first gen Alpinestar and it wasn't ever a problem, l just stopped.

|

9/25/2018 6:50 PM

Still wear my Atlas (or did) and will again. I’ll take Villopoto, Musquin and Anderson over Ryno anyday. None of them seem to have a problem winning championships or races with it. Nor does it look like it affects body positioning. You know what they say about opinions eh???

|

9/25/2018 6:52 PM

I switched to woods racing. Within the first couple times in the woods I went to duck under a half fallen tree. The brace didn't let me duck. Then because I couldn't duck, the tree caught me and also couldn't bend my neck back to let the tree go. It almost sheered my head off. Luckily I let go and settled with being ripped off the back of my bike. Never wore one again and feel better without it. To each their own. I wouldn't talk someone out of wearing one. It's just my preference.

|

9/25/2018 6:57 PM

Andrew Mc Farlane the Aussies death was contibuted by wearing a brace.

|

9/25/2018 7:15 PM

Wycked31 wrote:

mx317 wrote:

I would guess it wasn't an Atlas.

Mine was a leatt

|

9/25/2018 7:18 PM

Had a Leatt, was really uncomfortable. Going downhill had to fight to push my helmet back because of the neckbrace restricting movement. No more neckbrace now

|

9/25/2018 7:19 PM

I still wear an atlas. Most everyone I ride with said they can’t move as much with them.

|

9/25/2018 7:26 PM

I still wear my first gen Atlas. I have crashed with it on and it was amazing to see how the brace transferred the energy to the different parts of the body, you could see the bruising on the left
Shoulder and right chest. I actually tried to do a moto with out it and I felt naked, I pulled in the pits and put it on after 2 laps.

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

9/25/2018 7:32 PM

I currently wear an Atlas. Had an Alpinestars prior. Both were comfortable...But the Atlas is impressive. I have no idea it is even there.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

9/25/2018 7:34 PM

I stopped because the fad died.

|

9/25/2018 7:35 PM

I haven't stopped wearing it and won't stop. I love my Atlas brace, don't really notice it when wearing it and something feels wrong without it on. I'm not going to ever make a living riding a dirt bike. In fact, 99.999% of us won't be able to make a living riding a dirt bike. It's a hobby. I have to work on Monday morning and have lots of responsibilities. I need as much protection as I can reasonably get to keep safe.

|

9/25/2018 7:38 PM

If Atlas wasn't around, I would stop wearing one.

|

9/25/2018 7:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2018 7:40 PM

I haven't stopped as I love my Atlas.

|

Go Hawks!

9/25/2018 7:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2018 7:41 PM

brocster wrote:

Still wear my Atlas (or did) and will again. I’ll take Villopoto, Musquin and Anderson over Ryno anyday. None of them seem to have a problem winning championships or races with it. Nor does it look like it affects body positioning. You know what they say about opinions eh???

Ryno may not be everyone's fave, but the guy has been there and done that. People tend to seek the answers they want to hear.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

9/25/2018 7:41 PM

Anyone wearing an atlas brace with leatt chest protector? Specifically the 5.5 pro lite.

|

9/25/2018 7:52 PM

BR8ES wrote:

Ryno may not be everyone's fave, but the guy has been there and done that. People tend to seek the answers they want to hear.

I believe that not everyone should wear one as body types are very different, specifically neck sizes. If you don't have a long enough neck I think that Rynos assessment is very true. A neck brace that is not properly fitted could also lead to that same problem.

|

Go Hawks!

9/25/2018 7:55 PM

Nope, still wear one , it’s only your neck, what could go wrong

|

9/25/2018 7:55 PM

Because they are uncomfortable, dumb and will not prevent a broken neck. Most life-altering or fatal cervical fractures are from compression trauma, not hyper extension/flexion. Think jumping head first into an empty pool. That kind of fatal cervical fracture happens from compressing the cervical spine, not hyperextending it. Neck braces don’t do jack shit to prevent compression fractures.

|

9/25/2018 7:58 PM

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Because they are uncomfortable, dumb and will not prevent a broken neck. Most life-altering or fatal cervical fractures are from compression trauma, not hyper extension/flexion. Think jumping head first into an empty pool. That kind of fatal cervical fracture happens from compressing the cervical spine, not hyperextending it. Neck braces don’t do jack shit to prevent compression fractures.

You sound like someone we should all take advice from.

|

Go Hawks!

9/25/2018 8:02 PM

I will say, if I were to wear a neck brace again, it would be one that has an open front piece.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals