Why did you quit racing MX?

97#278
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:07pm
I quit in 97 after I moved to the Seattle area. Basically it was just no place to ride - I actually made way more money after I moved here so that wasn't an issue as it so often is in this sport.. I came from WNY where I knew just about everyone and always could find a friends house to ride at, or knew all the spots to practice. Since then I have raced just about every form of bicycle racing, Ironmans, and have been running ultramarathons for the past few years. I do have a Honda metro that I out 14K miles on in the past 2 years, but I don't count that as even owning a bike Laughing I still miss it all the time though, seeing someone else with a bike in the back of the truck, or even smelling the premix of a leaf blower pushes up the HR....
|
MW19
10/30/2011 7:39pm
I rode throughout middle school and then got into skateboarding. Skateboarding was something I could do every day and didn't have to wait until the weekend. Plus my dad got sick of spending money on it and driving me every weekend. But I got back into it last spring and its the best decision I've made in a long time!
mx757
10/30/2011 7:46pm
I absolutely destroyed my right leg about 4 years ago. I spent 3 months sitting in a recliner in my living room, plus another 3-4 months trying to get back to where I could even walk, let alone ride. I finally got released to ride, and went out a couple times to ride, but the spark was gone and it wasnt fun for me anymore. I went on to buy a stock car and use that as my adrenaline fix.
97#278
10/30/2011 7:48pm
MW19 wrote:
I rode throughout middle school and then got into skateboarding. Skateboarding was something I could do every day and didn't have to wait until the weekend...
I rode throughout middle school and then got into skateboarding. Skateboarding was something I could do every day and didn't have to wait until the weekend. Plus my dad got sick of spending money on it and driving me every weekend. But I got back into it last spring and its the best decision I've made in a long time!
As soon as I quit I started riding BMX bikes, trails, parks, street etc. I agree on the simplicity and the convenience of it - like skateboarding. Good times although I blew out both knees separately, loved riding at the South Woods Trails (RIP) almost daily. Good bunch of guys and a great time. Someday I hope to get back into it in some way, shape or form...

The Shop

scooter5002
10/30/2011 7:48pm
Sanctioning body a COMPLETE bunch of fucking assholes. Run by a neo-Nazi prick with delusions of grandeur. Supported by a bunch of minions with their heads so far up their asses they can't even get a breath of fresh air unless a proctologist gives them an enema. That's what happens when one person controls an entire nations moto situation. No doubt it's why the scene is in jeopardy for the 2012 season. Are you listening Mark Stupidass? Ride purely for fun now, and couldn't be happier. Hang out with the homeboys with a total of 7 tracks to ride, the furthest being a half hour away. Moto life couldn't be better.
10/30/2011 8:04pm
Broke both femurs and bruised a lung all in one gnarly crash.
nytsmaC
10/30/2011 8:08pm
Started taking drinking more seriously than riding, and then decided that ruining my health working 100 hours a week was a good idea for a few years. Gained about 80lbs in 4 years along with other health issues before I took my head out of the sand.

I started riding again 2 years ago, might start racing again next year now that i've lost most of the weight.
eThug
10/30/2011 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2011 8:16pm
got into cars, lost interest due to the fact most of my riding friends were broke fucks who could never muster up money to go to the track..more interested in doing drugs or just doing nothing.

my parents werent really supportive of my riding habit..it kind of sucked but i wasn't going to let their lack of enthusiasm get in my way and i always had a job just to fund my riding..if i wasnt into riding when i was in high school i would have never worked at all. lol

as soon as i get a job im putting new brake pads on my streetbike, getting rid of my drift car, getting a truck and getting another dirtbike.

i love and miss riding moto SOOOOO much! nothing beats riding a motorcycle on a nice spring day..be it moto or streetbike, i cant get enough

@97@278 ...dude i hear you about the practicing thing. whhere i grew up all my friends rode and i always had places to shred, different when ya move somewhere new... knowing all the places to ride is a big plus when you're riding/racing alot. whenever i see a bike in the back of a truck im like dammn. especially on a nice day.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
10/30/2011 8:12pm
I quit at around 20-21.. Cars and girls seemed to be WAY more important. I always bought my own bikes and paid for races and tires and etc etc my self, my parents were not interested. I would hitch rides from my buddys dads and whatnot.

I still ride my supermoto but what makes me most stoked is my son tearing it up on the track. I'm a crazed luni motodad now. Hey BRO just stand on the side of the track making full throttle gestures and scream till yer vains stick out... SAAAWeet!
Tbteam
10/30/2011 8:13pm
Which time?
jmar
10/30/2011 8:16pm
I quit because my son was also racing, and at the time, I couldn't afford entry fees every week and keeping both his, and my bikes up. I sucked, he was doing pretty well and he absolutely loved racing. so it was an easy decision. That was 27 years ago, he is retired from racing, and now that I have the money to pick the sport back up, I just don't think it's a good idea. I am in very good shape for an old bastard, but I am 54 years old. I grew up in Southern CA and moto and surfing was my passion. My wife didn't like like all of those years hanging out at the track, and worrying about her baby getting hurt, but she loves the beach and loves to travel. I am back to surfing, and my wife loves the travel.

BTW: She's did with out in our early years when we spent a shit load of cash on racing. It's her time now, and she get's to hang at the beach, and I get to surf.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
10/30/2011 8:20pm
I stopped riding in May 2007 up until this summer because of school and all the people's tracks I rode at were getting developed or quit letting people ride. I mostly stopped because of college and in the summers I work at a production plant that has crazy hours and there is no way to even plan riding because of how often they change the schedule. Well, I got tired of not riding so I sold my CR 125 and got a brand new klx 110L for the same price as I sold my 125. I can ride it around the yard and we also found two other places to ride the little bikes and no one will complain. The one track is perfect for them with like 2:10 lap times... my advice for anyone that wants to quit is DONT! Get a pitbike, I HIGHLY recommend a klx 110L those things are fun and a lot safer than a big bike and remember to just have fun you're not trying to set the world on fire unless you're racing your buddies Woohoo
10/30/2011 8:32pm
Sanctioning body a COMPLETE bunch of fucking assholes. Run by a neo-Nazi prick with delusions of grandeur. Supported by a bunch of minions with their heads...
Sanctioning body a COMPLETE bunch of fucking assholes. Run by a neo-Nazi prick with delusions of grandeur. Supported by a bunch of minions with their heads so far up their asses they can't even get a breath of fresh air unless a proctologist gives them an enema. That's what happens when one person controls an entire nations moto situation. No doubt it's why the scene is in jeopardy for the 2012 season. Are you listening Mark Stupidass? Ride purely for fun now, and couldn't be happier. Hang out with the homeboys with a total of 7 tracks to ride, the furthest being a half hour away. Moto life couldn't be better.
Tell us why you really quit.....HA-HA
Matt Wozney
10/30/2011 8:36pm
Head injuries did me in on not racing anymore. I ride every now and then whenever I get that itch to throw in a few laps.
eThug
10/30/2011 8:36pm
i dont regret stopping because i was over it, sometimes i wish i still had a bike but honestly im happy because im really fired up to get a bike again and start moto'ing.

moto, trails, street.. ....... its all good Smile
Ddavis
10/30/2011 8:48pm
Because Vital wanted me too
bents
Fantasy
710th
10/30/2011 9:38pm
I quit for the first time b/c of burn out, and then pursuing a career took hold, went back for one year after being away for about 7, got married and quit again. Got divorced, and got back into racing and went for 13 yrs straight, through another marriage and a wonderful daughter. Got divorced again and this time it really sucked (financially and emotionally), and it took some time to get back on my feet and this past year I started to ride a fair bit and hope to do a lot more of it again next year.

Have a fantastic woman in my life, blended family, all is good. The clouds have dissipated and I hope to moto on a regular basis next year and beyond until I can't throw a leg over the motherfucker anymore. Nothing beats a good day at the track with the boys, no matter how much slower you are going. Its life man, just fuckin life.
10/30/2011 10:13pm
Racing was so much more expensive and not any more fun that hitting the trails or a practice day that I just haven't been doing it for a few years.
pilotdude
10/30/2011 10:25pm
I live 23 miles from Washougal National MX Park, 5 miles from Portland International Raceway (Thursday Night Motocross-going on 43 years), 36 miles from Mountain View MX Park, and 26 miles from Woodland MX Park (winter track.) Won the Washougal 40+ B class this year and have a 2 year old boy who rides his little electric Indian motorcycle around with a permagrin. I'm not quitting anytime soon.
chump6784
10/30/2011 10:35pm
I quit racing when I was 17. It was a combination of things. Dad sold his business and was starting a new one so he wasn't making much money, the series we were doing went from 1 day to 2 day events. I was just about start my final year of highschool. Was starting to get over it. We raced 32 weekends a year for 6 years and I wanted a break.

From then I finished uni, spent countless amounts on booze, had a stint on street bikes an 9 years later bought an rm 250 and ride practice days for fun. The wife rides as well and my 2 year old daughter loves bikes too. I don't think I will race again, I'm just in it for fun now
StatutoryApe
10/30/2011 10:54pm
pitbike502 wrote:
*punchline...
no punchline, sadly that is why.
nytsmaC wrote:
I assumed incarceration with a name like that.
LOL....No the name is just for humor, read it again in case you misread it the first time.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/30/2011 11:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2011 11:13pm
I'm still trying to figure out why someone would go to a moto message board and ask, "Why did you quit MX?" Smile
97#278
10/30/2011 11:35pm
GuyB wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why someone would go to a moto message board and ask, "Why did you quit MX?" Smile
Because sometimes life throws you curveballs you can't hit, you love the sport and would love to race, but it might not be feasible. It doesnt mean we love MX any less...If I could figure out how I would be on the gate every weekend,
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/30/2011 11:45pm
97#278 wrote:
Because sometimes life throws you curveballs you can't hit, you love the sport and would love to race, but it might not be feasible. It doesnt...
Because sometimes life throws you curveballs you can't hit, you love the sport and would love to race, but it might not be feasible. It doesnt mean we love MX any less...If I could figure out how I would be on the gate every weekend,
Good answer. Smile

Post a reply to: Why did you quit racing MX?

The Latest