Why can't Women go as fast as men?

agn5009
7/4/2015 4:00pm
Steadman wrote:
Percentile. There are very few women who ride, let alone at a competitive level. I would imagine there are some women on this fine earth that...
Percentile. There are very few women who ride, let alone at a competitive level. I would imagine there are some women on this fine earth that would have the genetics and ability to ride pro and hang with the men....but they don't ride. Make sense?

On an amateur level I have witnessed some very fast girls and am not ashamed to say I have been passed by some as well!
MANNERS226 wrote:
Also, a good point
Question wrote:
+1. The first reason is %, although it is also normal there is a little difference simply due to genetics, like in many other sports. But...

+1. The first reason is %, although it is also normal there is a little difference simply due to genetics, like in many other sports. But there are doing great, the top 10 women are going faster than 99,99% of the boys !

No, they're really not. The top 10 girls barely compete with B riders, let alone top A or pro riders.
tmauto769
Fantasy
1135th
7/4/2015 4:01pm
Sweendoggy wrote:
I think it's a combination of statistics and testosterone. If there were the same amount of male and female riders, I think the gap would be...
I think it's a combination of statistics and testosterone. If there were the same amount of male and female riders, I think the gap would be closer at the top.

On the other side, I don't think women are as intense as men in general. Women are smart, and smart doesn't twist the throttle that hard.
I think this is the best answer so far, along with smarter, I think women have a better self preservation gene, if there is such a thing.
Underdog999
7/4/2015 4:04pm
It is NOT a numbers game.

Men are stronger than women..... period. This sport is very physically demanding. Look at all the training the top mx riders do to be the best. I don't care if the Williams sister tried mx, the top women soccer plays rode mx all of their lives, etc... they would not ride as fast as the top racers right now. I once was a top female athlete, I excel at many sports, but don't come close to men at any of them at the top. Never will. Men are just built differently.
7/4/2015 4:30pm
It is NOT a numbers game. Men are stronger than women..... period. This sport is very physically demanding. Look at all the training the top mx...

Men are stronger than women..... period. This sport is very physically demanding. Look at all the training the top mx riders do to be the best. I don't care if the Williams sister tried mx, the top women soccer plays rode mx all of their lives, etc... they would not ride as fast as the top racers right now. I once was a top female athlete, I excel at many sports, but don't come close to men at any of them at the top. Never will. Men are just built differently.

Happy Independence Day!

The Shop

Cygnus
7/4/2015 4:31pm
It is NOT a numbers game. Men are stronger than women..... period. This sport is very physically demanding. Look at all the training the top mx...

Thank god!
zehn
7/4/2015 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2015 4:37pm
IWreckALot wrote:
You generally don't see the most testosterone laden guys doing figure skating and gymnastics. Some impressively strong males participate in those sports, but those are made...
You generally don't see the most testosterone laden guys doing figure skating and gymnastics. Some impressively strong males participate in those sports, but those are made for female sports.
That's a fucking joke right?

7/4/2015 4:50pm
There's a girl that rides a factory kx 100 under the kawi tent. She might be the ticket.

Our society gears women towards other things...i think if women had more chances they would locate some to be parallel. After all we only have one chromosome worth a difference. We are all human. A woman will eventually become a dominate contender in our sport. Only a matter of time.
steve_97060
7/4/2015 5:27pm
There's a girl that rides a factory kx 100 under the kawi tent. She might be the ticket. Our society gears women towards other things...i think...
There's a girl that rides a factory kx 100 under the kawi tent. She might be the ticket.

Our society gears women towards other things...i think if women had more chances they would locate some to be parallel. After all we only have one chromosome worth a difference. We are all human. A woman will eventually become a dominate contender in our sport. Only a matter of time.
riiiggghhhhhhttttttttt....
HoppedUp
7/4/2015 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2015 5:32pm
There are 20 girls in my local gym that would out work and out train Top Jimmy in their sleep and ask Albertson,
Bro, have you ever lifted? Anything?

And they are like 120 Lbs.

This sport is not physical based. It's talent based.

Look at AC. No physical conditioning at all and looks unhealthy as hell for an 18 year old.
But he has talent.

Cygnus
7/4/2015 5:36pm
In GNC Flatrack the women are competitive. Moto is a whole different animal though.
HoppedUp
7/4/2015 5:41pm
not physical based, ok..
This dude is a serious trainer.
I mean his arms must be 1/4" bigger than his wifes.

Can ride the hell out of CR 250 though.
SF45
7/4/2015 5:51pm
IWreckALot wrote:
You generally don't see the most testosterone laden guys doing figure skating and gymnastics. Some impressively strong males participate in those sports, but those are made...
You generally don't see the most testosterone laden guys doing figure skating and gymnastics. Some impressively strong males participate in those sports, but those are made for female sports.
Agree on figure skating, but I don't think gymnastics is a feminine sport.
7/4/2015 5:56pm
Well I'd say it is a physical thing. I think in the most physical demanding sports even the best women are barely in mid pack, just...
Well I'd say it is a physical thing. I think in the most physical demanding sports even the best women are barely in mid pack, just like in moto. I don't know why exactly though too, but you should consider that there are more aspects than just strength. Endurance, mental toughness and so on.
I honestly don't believe mx is the most physically demanding sport in the world. I know you said one of, but MMA, Boxing, Wrestling.... Ect.... Are all much more tiring.
7/4/2015 6:02pm
Adrenal glands and production of adrenaline is much higher in men than in women. Testosterone aids in the delivery of adrenaline via the central nervous system. Research "fight or flight" response for more info on this. "it's evolution baby"
Starcrossed
7/4/2015 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2015 6:07pm
Sweendoggy wrote:
I think it's a combination of statistics and testosterone. If there were the same amount of male and female riders, I think the gap would be...
I think it's a combination of statistics and testosterone. If there were the same amount of male and female riders, I think the gap would be closer at the top.

On the other side, I don't think women are as intense as men in general. Women are smart, and smart doesn't twist the throttle that hard.
tmauto769 wrote:
I think this is the best answer so far, along with smarter, I think women have a better self preservation gene, if there is such a...
I think this is the best answer so far, along with smarter, I think women have a better self preservation gene, if there is such a thing.
If the cause isn't genetic, maybe it has something to do with brain chemistry. These two posts present the most logical reasons IMO.

Roostsalot's post makes sense too.
7/4/2015 6:10pm
HoppedUp wrote:
There are 20 girls in my local gym that would out work and out train Top Jimmy in their sleep and ask Albertson, Bro, have you...
There are 20 girls in my local gym that would out work and out train Top Jimmy in their sleep and ask Albertson,
Bro, have you ever lifted? Anything?

And they are like 120 Lbs.

This sport is not physical based. It's talent based.

Look at AC. No physical conditioning at all and looks unhealthy as hell for an 18 year old.
But he has talent.

A lot of chicks could man handle him.
7/4/2015 6:22pm
Adrenal glands and production of adrenaline is much higher in men than in women. Testosterone aids in the delivery of adrenaline via the central nervous system...
Adrenal glands and production of adrenaline is much higher in men than in women. Testosterone aids in the delivery of adrenaline via the central nervous system. Research "fight or flight" response for more info on this. "it's evolution baby"
Adrenaline increases the the efficiency of nearly all muscle groups in the body, the heart, the lungs, capillaries are enlarged, and the overall physicality of all mammals is enhanced by adrenaline.
If this is not enough evidence and proof for the OP, then I suggest that he apply for gender reassignment surgery, shoot himself full of estrogen for a few years, make a comeback to MX as a transgender athlete and maybe he'll figure it out for himself.
Fat Fingers
7/4/2015 6:33pm
Heres an article about this very thing...

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-women-motorcycle-rac…

There is at least one female currently racing moto 3 showing that females can mix it up on the tarmac. You may one day see a female road racing champion but like many have said here, its a numbers game.

MX is physically demanding and all other things being equal, you won't see a woman winning pro races as you don't see women beating men at 100m, 400m, marathon, cycling, golf, tennis...
ktmdan
7/4/2015 6:43pm
UNPOPULAR OPINION When you are a little girl, you are valued for how pretty you are, you are compared to/called a princess, you receive tea sets...
UNPOPULAR OPINION

When you are a little girl, you are valued for how pretty you are, you are compared to/called a princess, you receive tea sets and easy bake ovens as presents, dresses are marketed to you, pink is marketed to you, barbies and dollies are marketed to you. When you are a little boy, you are valued for your abilities, you are expected to rough house and scrape your knees, bikes are marketed to you, supersoakers are marketed to you, skateboards and tonka trucks and hot wheels are all marketed to you.

When children receive attention in certain areas, it encourages expansion in the areas they are receiving praise in, and when a child is exposed frequently to an idea or subject, it inspires interest for that subject in them. Inherently, we teach girls to be concerned about being pretty, to be interested in fashion and host parties and take care of children; at the same time we are teaching little boys to construct things, to experiment with physics, to get their hands dirty and learn coordination through bikes or skateboards. Those that break that mould are condemned for it.

I was a wild child; my parents couldn't keep clothes on me, I climbed trees and ripped my clothes, rode bikes, chased horses in the pasture, and got as filthy as I could. By grade four I had broken my wrists three times from riding horses and snowboarding, and one particularly rowdy game of hide and seek. My parents encouraged my exploration of the world around me, but they were chastised for it by my friends' parents because my best friends were boys- because I was expected to be a little lady, and these rambunctious activities diverged from that idea of what people thought little girls should be. Pink, pretty, clean. Consider the opposite, where we humiliate little boys for showing an interest in traditionally female oriented subjects.

Because being girly is being weak. Because being scared is being a pussy. Because any traditionally female characteristic comes with a negative connotation.

I believe this mentality has had a negative effect on men aswell, But to stay on topic I will leave that out.

When support for women in the sport increases, lap times will shrink. We are already seeing a generational shift away from toys marketed to one gender in particular, and I am a huge supporter of this movement. There is a new generation of girls being brought up in sports, and I truly believe that the gap between men and women in professional extreme sports is going to shrink. We have already witnessed it in skiing and skateboarding, which are really the only other sports that I care about, and this is due to support from the community, from men in the sport, and from our families. Oh, and supporting other women in the sport. Cause being bitches is the most detrimental thing we can do to eachother.

Here is a photo of me with my besties just to support my earlier paragraph.

Spot on. This is your answer.
bvm111
7/4/2015 6:53pm
Steadman wrote:
Percentile. There are very few women who ride, let alone at a competitive level. I would imagine there are some women on this fine earth that...
Percentile. There are very few women who ride, let alone at a competitive level. I would imagine there are some women on this fine earth that would have the genetics and ability to ride pro and hang with the men....but they don't ride. Make sense?

On an amateur level I have witnessed some very fast girls and am not ashamed to say I have been passed by some as well!
Bingo!
the_wood109
7/4/2015 7:01pm
As always with these stupid threads, this is extremely off topic. If you don't agree that's fine but that dudes lack of perspective and empathy is...
As always with these stupid threads, this is extremely off topic. If you don't agree that's fine but that dudes lack of perspective and empathy is annoying. Just because someone has a popular opinion does not make them credible.
I think 83 just misunderstands Thunderf00t. First of all, thunderfoot isn't against womens rights and gender equality. He specifically goes after feminists that are sexists. On a foundational level, he basically points out the true meaning of equality. It's the main reason why many people are starting to call themselves "humanists," rather than "feminists." For example, saying "all women should be treated as equals" is the same thing as saying "all men should be treated as equals." His opinions certainly aren't popular, though.

Regardless of this distinction, thunderfoot has nothing too offer in the area of male vs female athletics. Your story is certainly interesting. I honestly don't know enough about it to have an opinion, either way. From a purely anecdotal perspective, I can see your point. I have a young niece and nephew, and I do treat them differently, based on societal constraints (at least partially on my social upbringing.) On the other hand, chemical and genetic factors seem to contribute to male and female capabilities. Girls have a better track record in school, and boys have a better track record in athletics.
7/4/2015 8:31pm
Adrenal glands and production of adrenaline is much higher in men than in women. Testosterone aids in the delivery of adrenaline via the central nervous system...
Adrenaline increases the the efficiency of nearly all muscle groups in the body, the heart, the lungs, capillaries are enlarged, and the overall physicality of all...
Adrenaline increases the the efficiency of nearly all muscle groups in the body, the heart, the lungs, capillaries are enlarged, and the overall physicality of all mammals is enhanced by adrenaline.
If this is not enough evidence and proof for the OP, then I suggest that he apply for gender reassignment surgery, shoot himself full of estrogen for a few years, make a comeback to MX as a transgender athlete and maybe he'll figure it out for himself.
Whoa buddy, don't be dragging me into your crazy ideas...
agn5009
7/4/2015 9:54pm
Check out the GNCC's. The pro women race in the amateur morning race. They race with the C riders. They barely, and sometimes, are beaten by the C riders. I hate saying it because it sounds like I'm knocking them but I'm really not trying to. I'd like to know the significant difference too.

I guess look at other sports. It comes down to strength. You'll never see a female playing in the NFL (other than maybe a kicker.) Same goes for baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. It's not just motocross that they can't compete with. It's the majority of sports that don't involve being flexible as the main point of success.
Chu
7/4/2015 10:46pm
Testosterone.
That is the difference.
7/5/2015 12:31am
I think 83 just misunderstands Thunderf00t. First of all, thunderfoot isn't against womens rights and gender equality. He specifically goes after feminists that are sexists. On...
I think 83 just misunderstands Thunderf00t. First of all, thunderfoot isn't against womens rights and gender equality. He specifically goes after feminists that are sexists. On a foundational level, he basically points out the true meaning of equality. It's the main reason why many people are starting to call themselves "humanists," rather than "feminists." For example, saying "all women should be treated as equals" is the same thing as saying "all men should be treated as equals." His opinions certainly aren't popular, though.

Regardless of this distinction, thunderfoot has nothing too offer in the area of male vs female athletics. Your story is certainly interesting. I honestly don't know enough about it to have an opinion, either way. From a purely anecdotal perspective, I can see your point. I have a young niece and nephew, and I do treat them differently, based on societal constraints (at least partially on my social upbringing.) On the other hand, chemical and genetic factors seem to contribute to male and female capabilities. Girls have a better track record in school, and boys have a better track record in athletics.
I think 83 just misunderstands Thunderf00t. First of all, thunderfoot isn't against womens rights and gender equality.

I never said he was and btw I'm not either. But you can't just ignore sexual dimorphism and pretend it doesn't exist.
DanDunes818
7/5/2015 12:56am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2015 12:58am
Obviously, this is just my opinion but with 4 daughters, we've talked a lot about it in my house. First, I don't think it's strength--well not mainly. I do think on some level strength obviously plays in. Like a few people have pointed out, though, there are some seriously strong women in this world. I would lay money on JP$ vs Damon Huffman in an arm wrestling contest back in his early 125 days. I think it's mostly that they're smarter than us. Where a man's ego produces a win at all cost mentality, I think, while women can have it to a degree, up til now we haven't seen one with a big enough ego to risk everything to catch the top men living on the ragged edge. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of women racers and know they risk their lives every time they throw a helmet on like the rest of us, but it's another level of insanity to be at the top of the sport level. I think that ego and win or die mentality men have is the largest difference. I'm 1/2 asleep so not sure if that makes sense.

I also think women's classes hurt them. If they can't beat the boys, "well I went 1-1 in the girls class" lets the most hard core girls sleep easier at night. If they only race boys, they never have that to fall back on. There are some seriously fast girls coming up like Hannah Hodges and Courtney Duncan and the reason they're so fast is because they mostly race the boys. If Hannah goes right from Loretta's to trying to qualify for SX's and Nationals, I think she'll be the first to make a splash. If she shies away and goes after WMX Championships, I think it may not happen.

Touchy subject and I hope I made sense without pissing too many people off.

sende
Fantasy
4429th
7/5/2015 3:37am
Anonymous wrote:
This is a serious question. I race at a local A level, so I'm not ignorant here. But seriously, what is it that keeps women from...
This is a serious question. I race at a local A level, so I'm not ignorant here. But seriously, what is it that keeps women from going as fast as men? I don't understand it. Why are the fastest MX women in the world only at a Loretta's B-class pace? Most are the size of a Villo or RC. It can't be a physical thing. I mean, top 16 year old amateur boys aren't that strong and they can be insanely fast. I just cannot understand why a woman hasn't been able to develop world-class MX speed. Geiger, Fiolek, Golden, Patterson, all awesome women and ambassadors, but not fast enough to make a Supercross Main Event.... Why?
It can be a physical thing and it is. That's all there is to it.
ocscottie
7/5/2015 4:01am
"This is a serious question..."

I stopped reading after that first sentence. The fact this went 4 pages is mind boggling. Blink

Post a reply to: Why can't Women go as fast as men?

The Latest