Why are people asking ridiculous prices for their bikes in NM?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/1/2020 9:09 AM

I picked up a 1997 RM250 for pennies that needs a little work and spent about a grand on parts. I am working on it with my son. I am looking for two more bikes, 125 or 250 and people here are pricing their bikes as if they were new. There is a rebuilt 2001 RM125 for sale and the guy wants $3200. The blue book on that bike is about $1500.

I have cash in hand and can't find anything at even a reasonable price.

|

8/1/2020 9:23 AM

Supply and demand. Motorcycle industry is booming right now, new bikes are scarce at dealers.

|

8/1/2020 9:29 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

Supply and demand. Motorcycle industry is booming right now, new bikes are scarce at dealers.

Bingo,. Like the $5 hot dog at the 7-11 when you are drunk. Lol. Gotta pay to play.

|

8/1/2020 9:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2020 9:43 AM

NewToDirt wrote:

I picked up a 1997 RM250 for pennies that needs a little work and spent about a grand on parts. I am working on it with my son. I am looking for two more bikes, 125 or 250 and people here are pricing their bikes as if they were new. There is a rebuilt 2001 RM125 for sale and the guy wants $3200. The blue book on that bike is about $1500.

I have cash in hand and can't find anything at even a reasonable price.

Blue book on dirt bikes is not even close, throw it in the trash where it belongs. And in a world of supply and demand you clearly dont have enough cash in hand to buy at this point so I would wait it out until the used market is a buyers market and not a sellers market.

|

Ed Johnson

8/1/2020 9:59 AM

NewToDirt wrote:

I picked up a 1997 RM250 for pennies that needs a little work and spent about a grand on parts. I am working on it with my son. I am looking for two more bikes, 125 or 250 and people here are pricing their bikes as if they were new. There is a rebuilt 2001 RM125 for sale and the guy wants $3200. The blue book on that bike is about $1500.

I have cash in hand and can't find anything at even a reasonable price.

lostboy819 wrote:

Blue book on dirt bikes is not even close, throw it in the trash where it belongs. And in a world of supply and demand you clearly dont have enough cash in hand to buy at this point so I would wait it out until the used market is a buyers market and not a sellers market.

I have enough cash to buy several new bikes. That doesn't mean that I am going to go out and pay whatever someone is asking for their bike.

|

8/1/2020 10:05 AM

I have a line on a 2017 Husqvarna FC250 in mint condition with upgrades. Asking price is 4K, is that a good deal?

|

8/1/2020 10:36 AM

NewToDirt wrote:

I have a line on a 2017 Husqvarna FC250 in mint condition with upgrades. Asking price is 4K, is that a good deal?

Might as well go but that bike, as long as it isn’t thrashed.

|

8/1/2020 11:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2020 11:04 AM

NewToDirt wrote:

I have a line on a 2017 Husqvarna FC250 in mint condition with upgrades. Asking price is 4K, is that a good deal?

Even before the pandemic, people in NM have always been proud of their hammered dogshit bikes on Craigslist. If you have the money, go talk to Keith or Brian at Bobby J’s and buy a new one.

That’s kind of the going rate for a decent two stroke these days though, regardless.

|

8/1/2020 11:19 AM

NewToDirt wrote:

I picked up a 1997 RM250 for pennies that needs a little work and spent about a grand on parts. I am working on it with my son. I am looking for two more bikes, 125 or 250 and people here are pricing their bikes as if they were new. There is a rebuilt 2001 RM125 for sale and the guy wants $3200. The blue book on that bike is about $1500.

I have cash in hand and can't find anything at even a reasonable price.

lostboy819 wrote:

Blue book on dirt bikes is not even close, throw it in the trash where it belongs. And in a world of supply and demand you clearly dont have enough cash in hand to buy at this point so I would wait it out until the used market is a buyers market and not a sellers market.

NewToDirt wrote:

I have enough cash to buy several new bikes. That doesn't mean that I am going to go out and pay whatever someone is asking for their bike.

You may be better off buying new because its a sellers market for used bikes, heck its a sellers market for new bikes now too but that way you know what you are getting.

|

Ed Johnson

8/1/2020 12:52 PM

It's that way in CO, too. I'm on the border of these Great States and prices in both are insane. I'm thinking of putting my '15 TC 125 up for sale just to cash in. Thinking about asking $15,000. smile

Seriously, though, last year I sold a nice '02 RM 134 for $1600 and was glad to get that. Sold my '04 KX 125- rebuilt- for $1400 to a friend's son. I gave him a break, but I would have probably felt good to get $1600 for it on the real market.

I figure $3000 isn't too out of line for the Husky but it's a fun bike to ride so I probably won't.

|

2015 Kawasaki KX 250F
2015 GasGas TXT Racing 125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125
2018 KTM 150 XC-W

8/1/2020 1:01 PM

The market for used bikes, boats, RVs, PWCs, and all other motorized toys is insane right now. There are multiple news articles on WSJ, Forbes, etc. Prices are stupid on used wake boats right now, and I am finally motivated to build up the YZ125s I have down in my shop.

The bigger question is whether or not this is a permanent change or will all come crashing down when society is back to "normal"

|

8/1/2020 1:16 PM

bUt bLuEbOok sAyS....

|

8/1/2020 2:55 PM

HighPlainsSquid wrote:

It's that way in CO, too. I'm on the border of these Great States and prices in both are insane. I'm thinking of putting my '15 TC 125 up for sale just to cash in. Thinking about asking $15,000. smile

Seriously, though, last year I sold a nice '02 RM 134 for $1600 and was glad to get that. Sold my '04 KX 125- rebuilt- for $1400 to a friend's son. I gave him a break, but I would have probably felt good to get $1600 for it on the real market.

I figure $3000 isn't too out of line for the Husky but it's a fun bike to ride so I probably won't.

id be willing to bet you could get 4k right now if its clean

|

8/1/2020 3:00 PM

Wait a while... Y'all remember 2008?

|

8/1/2020 7:51 PM

avidchimp wrote:

Wait a while... Y'all remember 2008?

This.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/1/2020 8:50 PM

NewToDirt wrote:

I have a line on a 2017 Husqvarna FC250 in mint condition with upgrades. Asking price is 4K, is that a good deal?

CSAR FE wrote:

Even before the pandemic, people in NM have always been proud of their hammered dogshit bikes on Craigslist. If you have the money, go talk to Keith or Brian at Bobby J’s and buy a new one.

That’s kind of the going rate for a decent two stroke these days though, regardless.

You are right. Unfortunately, there are no new bikes even at the dealers.

I have looked at FB for Colorado. It seems like the prices aren't as crazy up there. My GF has family in the Springs and we are going to go visit. I may take a trailer up there and see if I can grab a couple of quads or dirt bikes. Even if they aren't running I will buy them for a good deal.

|

8/1/2020 9:02 PM

Don’t worry man it’s not only in NM, it’s the same here in Houston too!!!

|

8/1/2020 10:37 PM

I'm in Denver, same madness ensuing. My friend just sold his kids 2014 50cc Yamaha atv for $2100. Insanity!

|

8/1/2020 10:50 PM

Same in Florida. It's been this way for awhile now.

|

8/1/2020 11:07 PM

avidchimp wrote:

Wait a while... Y'all remember 2008?

Unfortunately, yes.

|

8/1/2020 11:13 PM

avidchimp wrote:

Wait a while... Y'all remember 2008?

Good times...I bought a brand new old stock 2006 CRF450R from a dealer in San Diego for $3999 OTD.

|

8/1/2020 11:15 PM

I sold my 16 FC250 pretty clean with some up grades to my cousin for $3,750. I thought it was a good deal, fun bike/solid too.

|

1980 trail70, 84 xr80, 84 cr125, 93 cr250, 04 crfx250, 73 Husqvarna 450dm, 08 crf450, 87 cr80, 05 crf450, 16 fc250, 19 crf450 Smartop. EKS, O'neal, Bell, SIDI and Kyle Lewis MX Academy.

8/1/2020 11:17 PM

I remember being able to up 87 YZ and CR 125s for
$600 - $800 back in 94.
Three years ago I bought my 01 CR 250. I paid $1800 for it. Now, your lucky to find one under $2800 in the Seattle area.

|

8/2/2020 12:23 AM

avidchimp wrote:

Wait a while... Y'all remember 2008?

As someone who was only 7/8 at the time, what was the motorcycle industry like during then?

|

8/2/2020 12:55 AM

avidchimp wrote:

Wait a while... Y'all remember 2008?

Rickyisms wrote:

As someone who was only 7/8 at the time, what was the motorcycle industry like during then?

Our economy tanked and everyone sold their bikes to pay their bills, oversimplified

|

8/2/2020 3:03 AM

My wife is selling her mint 09crf250. Has about 15 hours on it from new. She just likes 2strokes more.
It’s not posted yet.
Email me if interested Builtotride@gmail
I’m in ABQ.
Sorry for crap pic it’s all I have right now. Photo

|

8/2/2020 3:30 AM

The area I live in is horrible to find decent priced bikes. Northern Virginia, most bikes are either stolen, over priced or I’m just not looking in the places. Probably a combination of those for me. I did finally pick up a $2k project bike though from a co-worker. 2007 Honda CRF 250R. Probably paid too much, but nice to have a bike again.

|

8/2/2020 4:46 AM

guys are asking $500-1000 more today for a bike i struggled to sell 5 years ago. pretty crazy these bikes don't drop any in value after a certain amount of time.

|

8/2/2020 8:59 AM

avidchimp wrote:

Wait a while... Y'all remember 2008?

Rickyisms wrote:

As someone who was only 7/8 at the time, what was the motorcycle industry like during then?

People spent money they really didn't have and the sport tanked. We are close to that happening again.

|

8/2/2020 9:18 AM

Well tons of Americans are making more or at least the same now with all the benifits they are receiving . Add in the extra free time many have, Plus, supply lines being limited = higher prices. I'm guessing it will last maybe a year or so, but I have to think the government will eventually stop handing out massive amounts of money and prices will eventually flip drastically in the other direction. But who knows anymore.

|