Why are no sx/mx champions from the city or burbs?

Motodave15
Edited Date/Time 10/19/2022 6:38am
Question is in the title, why is it we don’t see any sx/mx champions from a big city or from the suburbs?
|
tomlopez
10/16/2022 10:26am
It's hard to ride dirtbikes day in/day out living in those areas. Kids from rural areas can have a backyard with woods or a track, or both. Plus most public tracks are in rural areas. There's only one track within an hour of St. Pete FL, it would be hard to get enough riding in to eventually be a pro.
10/16/2022 11:19am
tomlopez wrote:
It's hard to ride dirtbikes day in/day out living in those areas. Kids from rural areas can have a backyard with woods or a track, or...
It's hard to ride dirtbikes day in/day out living in those areas. Kids from rural areas can have a backyard with woods or a track, or both. Plus most public tracks are in rural areas. There's only one track within an hour of St. Pete FL, it would be hard to get enough riding in to eventually be a pro.
this. unless you grow up in a rural area or have parents who are dedicated to keeping you on the bike..you arent going to be a pro.

i think people who grow up in urban areas are weird and i never really gelled with them.
kijen
10/16/2022 11:21am
Yep driving your kid an hour each way for practice would not last long, but also explains why the training facilities are popular for those that can afford them.
8500rpm
10/16/2022 11:30am
Motodave15 wrote:
Question is in the title, why is it we don’t see any sx/mx champions from a big city or from the suburbs?
For many (depending on country) storage/garage/washing etc is very difficult if you live in a 'townhouse' in the city/suburb. Of course, it doesn't hold true for large McMansions in the burbs, but for 'regular people'.

I can say.... as an adult with family, the big enabler for me is a great garage. Without it I couldn't ride. I know of people who would want to ride (motocross) and can afford but they have no garage so any maintenance to the bike is a challenge.

Question: Why does many kids for race come from familys that operate a heavy machinery business Wink ?

The Shop

davis224
Fantasy
138th
10/16/2022 11:30am
Justin Cooper is probably the closest
10/16/2022 11:45am
Didn’t TP199 grow up in Annapolis that’s pretty
Much Washington DC
pretty sure his family owned a construction business and they lived out in the subburbs or a more rural area
DaveB771
10/16/2022 11:47am
Obviously, they've gotten a little more built up, but Donny Schmitt was from a close-in Minneapolis suburb and Mark Barnett is from suburban Chicago.

For that matter, Ryan Dungey grew up in Minnesota's seven county metropolitan mosquito control district.
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
10/16/2022 12:12pm
As a kid, I lived on a farm in rural Saskatchewan, very close to a forest. I rode literally every day all summer. Now I live in a city and am lucky to be on the bike twice a week. Worse, my kids could only go when I could take them. Rural life is awesome if you can do it.
Zack981
10/16/2022 12:21pm
Isn’t Nick Romano from Queens?
OleTex
10/16/2022 2:19pm
Zack981 wrote:
Isn’t Nick Romano from Queens?
Yes he is.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
10/16/2022 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2022 4:43pm
Justin coooer is from Long Island.

But mostly because it’s to hard to find places to ride / too many other things to do in those areas.
It’s like asking why aren’t there stock brokers in Millville Minnesota, well because There’s no internet
10/16/2022 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2022 4:54pm
Isn’t New Jersey considered to be the suburbs? J Law 2008 west coast sx champ.
mxb2
10/16/2022 4:59pm
Much Washington DC
pretty sure his family owned a construction business and they lived out in the subburbs or a more rural area
Bingo. Davidsonville ,. 10 mins. From me
MXR
10/16/2022 5:03pm
Who is the last MX / SX champ born and raised in California . McGrath ?
Double
10/16/2022 6:26pm
I may be completely wrong, but didn't Anderson live in West Hollywood for a while or just had a home there?
mx313
10/16/2022 6:46pm
MXR wrote:
Who is the last MX / SX champ born and raised in California . McGrath ?
Christian craig is a 250 sx champ.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/16/2022 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2022 7:42pm
I dont think Adam Cianciarillo was from the country.

Chase Sexton is from outside Chicago but I don't know how rural that area is.

Blake Bagget was from California and a national champion, but his career was handicapped by not having a famous father.
10/16/2022 8:22pm
Much Washington DC
By far the worst traffic in the country Baltimore to south of dc. But your still not out of it. Maine and nh isn’t bad conn. And mass. Terrible Down to southern Va. the worst traffic of a longer distance. Pa. Into Jersey to a address that doesn’t exist in the city to south of dc. Is 19.5 hrs 320 miles. The shipper was only 2 hrs. La traffic is no where as bad as the ne. If your rv and race trailer breaks down very little parking at tiny service plazas. Everyone just parks each other in. North of nyc to Maine there is 1 pilot , flying j get ready to sit 1 + hrs to get fuel. Truckers r so exhausted they go to sleep in the driveway or in line or at the fuel island. Funny Pa. Women trash Md. and De. Drivers real bad.
10/16/2022 8:30pm
early wrote:
I dont think Adam Cianciarillo was from the country. Chase Sexton is from outside Chicago but I don't know how rural that area is. Blake Bagget...

Blake Bagget was from California and a national champion, but his career was handicapped by not having a famous father.
Chase is out in the sticks 90 mi from Chicago. The kid on a kx super mini that beat Deagan last yr. A polish kid his parents r from Poland he lives in the city of Chicago. Not a rich neighborhood either. Blue collar area.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
10/16/2022 8:54pm
early wrote:
I dont think Adam Cianciarillo was from the country. Chase Sexton is from outside Chicago but I don't know how rural that area is. Blake Bagget...

Chase is out in the sticks 90 mi from Chicago. The kid on a kx super mini that beat Deagan last yr. A polish kid his...
Chase is out in the sticks 90 mi from Chicago. The kid on a kx super mini that beat Deagan last yr. A polish kid his parents r from Poland he lives in the city of Chicago. Not a rich neighborhood either. Blue collar area.
Krystian Janik... Super nice kid and family.
JF953
10/16/2022 8:58pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Over 75% of the field is from a rather large city or suburb! Very few are from the cuts.
10/16/2022 9:08pm
early wrote:

Chase is out in the sticks 90 mi from Chicago. The kid on a kx super mini that beat Deagan last yr. A polish kid his...
Yup that’s his name. I,ve been running the ne for weeks in this beaten pile of a trk. So exhausted head to toe full beating. Pic of a Chinese tire I blew today in sc it was 84 degrees. I hear a loud plastic or part break the same second as the tire blew. I,m going 75 and see the quarter fender fly 200 mph past the next lane.

10/16/2022 10:01pm
Motodave15 wrote:
How about Brock Glover, Ricky Johnson, Damon Bradshaw and maybe Jeff Ward?

Kids today are proving that any kid can wheelie a dirt bike in the city.
10/16/2022 10:09pm
Yup that’s his name. I,ve been running the ne for weeks in this beaten pile of a trk. So exhausted head to toe full beating. Pic...
Yup that’s his name. I,ve been running the ne for weeks in this beaten pile of a trk. So exhausted head to toe full beating. Pic of a Chinese tire I blew today in sc it was 84 degrees. I hear a loud plastic or part break the same second as the tire blew. I,m going 75 and see the quarter fender fly 200 mph past the next lane.

If you would just start driving in km’s that tire would have been fine.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
10/17/2022 6:24am
Dungey, Cooper, and Craig are all from populated areas. If you go back, a lot of champions were from heavily populated areas. Johnny O’mara grew up in Van Nuys, you don’t get more populated than the San Fernando Valley.
Banzai551
10/17/2022 6:32am
early wrote:

Chase is from Mendota Illinois. About 2 hrs southwest of Chicago. That area is very rural/agricultural. But the town fairgrounds there also run fair series races every season, there's also a small indoor track in Mendota.
Banzai551
10/17/2022 6:35am
early wrote:

Oak Lawn Illinois is not the City of Chicago, but close to the South Side....n yes Janik FLIES! Very humble kid. Really want to see him succeed.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/17/2022 6:39am
early wrote:

Banzai551 wrote:
Chase is from Mendota Illinois. About 2 hrs southwest of Chicago. That area is very rural/agricultural. But the town fairgrounds there also run fair series races...
Chase is from Mendota Illinois. About 2 hrs southwest of Chicago. That area is very rural/agricultural. But the town fairgrounds there also run fair series races every season, there's also a small indoor track in Mendota.
When he was on pulpmx one time he talked about going to the track when his dad got home from work so even though his area is rural it sounded like he didn't grow up riding on the farm.

This whole thread is a bit silly in my opinion. City and suburb folks just don't ride dirtbikes much because it's harder and more time consuming to get to a place where you can ride. It's like asking why there aren't many downhill ski champions from Florida.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
10/17/2022 6:55am
La Moille is definitely a small country town about 20ish miles from one of the best tracks in the midwest, and less than 10 miles from a fairground track and an indoor track.

Post a reply to: Why are no sx/mx champions from the city or burbs?

The Latest