Why are IV's banned?

9/7/2018 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 2:24pm
Technically to get an IV you need somebody to prescribe it. It's illegal because whoever started it probably bent some rules to do it. Even though...
Technically to get an IV you need somebody to prescribe it. It's illegal because whoever started it probably bent some rules to do it. Even though I have heard of nurses doing it to each other to prevent a hang over after a hard night of partying....

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I’ve heard that quite a bit. Kind of a waste of perfectly good resources isn’t it? I know you’re in that field of weird so I’m...
I’ve heard that quite a bit. Kind of a waste of perfectly good resources isn’t it? I know you’re in that field of weird so I’m curious as to what you think about some nurses doing that.
Braaaphole wrote:
Nothing wrong with it at all. I know people who do this and I've seen it done. There's even companies you can pay to come give...
Nothing wrong with it at all. I know people who do this and I've seen it done. There's even companies you can pay to come give you an IV for a hangover now. It's not a big deal at all, just hydrating the body. If it didn't work, they wouldn't use it on nearly every person admitted into the hospital.
These are hangovers you are talking about. Physiologic resting state hangovers. what the heck does it have to do with competing at a top level in a sport ? Nothing can’t even compare the two.

Drunk A gets smashed from 10pm-12am. Needs ivf to sober up so he can go get smashed from 1am-2am.

How you think he’s gonna be if he does that for years ? I think he will
Be in a surgical intensive care unit waiting for a liver transplant. But hey....whatever? What??????
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
9/7/2018 2:53pm
As a Firemedic I can see there are some really intelligent you tube Drs in here ?. I learn a lot here that’s for sure
Gus
9/7/2018 3:27pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I’ve heard that quite a bit. Kind of a waste of perfectly good resources isn’t it? I know you’re in that field of weird so I’m...
I’ve heard that quite a bit. Kind of a waste of perfectly good resources isn’t it? I know you’re in that field of weird so I’m curious as to what you think about some nurses doing that.
Braaaphole wrote:
Nothing wrong with it at all. I know people who do this and I've seen it done. There's even companies you can pay to come give...
Nothing wrong with it at all. I know people who do this and I've seen it done. There's even companies you can pay to come give you an IV for a hangover now. It's not a big deal at all, just hydrating the body. If it didn't work, they wouldn't use it on nearly every person admitted into the hospital.
These are hangovers you are talking about. Physiologic resting state hangovers. what the heck does it have to do with competing at a top level in...
These are hangovers you are talking about. Physiologic resting state hangovers. what the heck does it have to do with competing at a top level in a sport ? Nothing can’t even compare the two.

Drunk A gets smashed from 10pm-12am. Needs ivf to sober up so he can go get smashed from 1am-2am.

How you think he’s gonna be if he does that for years ? I think he will
Be in a surgical intensive care unit waiting for a liver transplant. But hey....whatever? What??????
Hangovers as you know are essentially because your hypovolemic, electrolyte depleted and hypoglycemic. It’s essentially chemically mediated dehydration. I dare say that these guys would have more benefit from fluid boluses than the drunks because of the lactic acid clearance they will receive from the bolus. Will a couple liters every weekend during the summer hurt them? I don’t know but I think NS and LR boluses is probably the hardest on the kidneys and hell kidneys are tough. I 100% agree that you should be completely free to get an IV if you need it but you would be done for the day. However you should be cleared for the next week.
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/7/2018 3:31pm
Gus wrote:
Hangovers as you know are essentially because your hypovolemic, electrolyte depleted and hypoglycemic. It’s essentially chemically mediated dehydration. I dare say that these guys would have...
Hangovers as you know are essentially because your hypovolemic, electrolyte depleted and hypoglycemic. It’s essentially chemically mediated dehydration. I dare say that these guys would have more benefit from fluid boluses than the drunks because of the lactic acid clearance they will receive from the bolus. Will a couple liters every weekend during the summer hurt them? I don’t know but I think NS and LR boluses is probably the hardest on the kidneys and hell kidneys are tough. I 100% agree that you should be completely free to get an IV if you need it but you would be done for the day. However you should be cleared for the next week.
"should be completely free to get an IV if you need it but you would be done for the day. However you should be cleared for the next week."

Which is basically how it works now.

The Shop

barnett468
9/7/2018 6:07pm
early wrote:
"should be completely free to get an IV if you need it but you would be done for the day. However you should be cleared for...
"should be completely free to get an IV if you need it but you would be done for the day. However you should be cleared for the next week."

Which is basically how it works now.
...and there ya go. it ain't very complicated.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
9/7/2018 8:58pm
If you absolutely need an IV, you are not fit to race the second moto for safety reasons. Also, it would be a disadvantage to those...
If you absolutely need an IV, you are not fit to race the second moto for safety reasons. Also, it would be a disadvantage to those that don't have the means to receive an IV at the track.
I agree, if you've become so dehydrated your dangerously close to suffering from heat injury. Also, unofficially riders would go back to personal rigs and hook one up with stuff to boost. It wouldn't be out of the question for top guys to have done blood transfusions for oxygenated blood.
EngIceDave
9/9/2018 5:57am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 6:01am
I'd like to clear up a few things, at least as I understand them...

1. IVs were banned before PEDs were or became an issue, so as to the origination of the rule, PEDs are irrelevant

2. Back when the rule was implemented, and when Henry did it, there weren't half million dollar motorhomes in the pits for riders to hide in, so if you allowed IVs between motos, they'd be doing as Henry did and be sitting in the pits in full view of the public with an IV bag plugged into their arms. Not a good sight for the general public and unfamiliar media to see.

3 (or 2b). If people and children (RE: "Pee wee parents) see this happening, whats to stop it at the amateur level, openly or covertly? Parents and riders are always looking for even the slightest advantage, so if it's good enough for Eli Tomac, it's good enough for little Jimmy Twotits.

4. IVs are NOT "safe." If not administered correctly or by a trained person, it can kill you. Air-bubble, anyone?

4b. If someone thinks taking taking a bag on race day is good, well then taking a bag every day while training is better, right? Oh, wait...if I train 2x a day for LL's, and one bag a day is good, then 2 bags a day is better, right?. NO It's not. You can get "fluid overload" which can cause headaches, high blood pressure, nausea and disorientation. If it was so safe, why isn't CVS selling DIY kits?

5. You all know motocross is dirty, right? You'd think that'd increase the chances of infection, right?

6. Unless you've got an army of nurses or doctors running around in the pits on race days sticking needles into anyone rolling off the track, you're creating a physical unfair advantage between the haves and have-nots.

6b. As to the bogus claim of "what about factory parts," you guys do realize that at one point in time, factory riders rode one-off hand built exotica full of unobtanium and tech, right? The purpose was testing, R&D and building future production equipment, then the "production rule" was implemented to speed up production advancements (it did) but did allow certain factory advantages, also for R&D. That's why factory equipment hits production faster than in the past. Also, the 250 class has to use "production based" suspension and it must be available for sale to the public (aka "A-kits").

Bottomline, sport doesn't need the appearance of riders plugged into IVs, it would encourage it at the amateur level, it is NOT safe, in a dirty dusty environment, there are risks of infection and if not done properly by trained personnel, there can be many negative side effects.
swtwtwtw
9/9/2018 6:05am
From what I have heard, having an IV administered between motos gives the rider a feeling of being 100% recovered. To the point of feeling as if he hadn’t even done a moto already, completely refreshed.
EngIceDave
9/9/2018 10:56am
Asterisk Team does notify the race management when a rider takes an IV
It's part of their job, same as if they believe a rider has a concussion
That is part of holding the license and entering the race
Moto96
9/9/2018 11:33am
^^^^ the riders and everyone else must sign alot of paperwork to be having doctors letting that news out.

I could see them telling the race people "We dont think he's fit to race", but telling people "he may have a concussion", Not sure most race camps would want that info getting out. True or not.

If thats the case, if I was racing, I'd never go into that rig. Not even for an aspirin for a headache.

EngIceDave
9/9/2018 11:54am
Then you don't race, period
Though I don't believe that was ever an issue anyway
jeffro503
9/9/2018 11:58am
swtwtwtw wrote:
From what I have heard, having an IV administered between motos gives the rider a feeling of being 100% recovered. To the point of feeling as...
From what I have heard, having an IV administered between motos gives the rider a feeling of being 100% recovered. To the point of feeling as if he hadn’t even done a moto already, completely refreshed.
Not true. You're replacing fluid's in the body.....that doesn't take away the punishment that body went through during that time. Ton's of stuff get's depleted in the body during intense exorcise....fluid's are just part of it.
Gus
9/9/2018 12:02pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
From what I have heard, having an IV administered between motos gives the rider a feeling of being 100% recovered. To the point of feeling as...
jeffro503 wrote:
Not true. You're replacing fluid's in the body.....that doesn't take away the punishment that body went through during that time. Ton's of stuff get's depleted in...
Not true. You're replacing fluid's in the body.....that doesn't take away the punishment that body went through during that time. Ton's of stuff get's depleted in the body during intense exorcise....fluid's are just part of it.
True, I think some of the 100% feeling experienced could be the placebo effect. Perception is reality, especially with these guys.
APLMAN99
9/9/2018 12:04pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Then you don't race, period
Though I don't believe that was ever an issue anyway
Yeah, doubtful that lying, cheating mortgage salespeople really need to go into the Asterisk rig a whole lot.......

Post a reply to: Why are IV's banned?

The Latest