Why are IV's banned?

Trevor91
9/6/2018 8:27pm
Just watching the eagles/falcons game and they just said on the broadcast that so and so player just went in and go an IV and now they're back and ready to play. Why is it such a no-no in moto but yet football its like a casual drink between plays?
|
9/6/2018 8:30pm
If you absolutely need an IV, you are not fit to race the second moto for safety reasons. Also, it would be a disadvantage to those that don't have the means to receive an IV at the track.
barnett468
9/6/2018 8:31pm
Trevor91 wrote:
Just watching the eagles/falcons game and they just said on the broadcast that so and so player just went in and go an IV and now...
Just watching the eagles/falcons game and they just said on the broadcast that so and so player just went in and go an IV and now they're back and ready to play. Why is it such a no-no in moto but yet football its like a casual drink between plays?
What?
Premixed112
9/6/2018 8:37pm
If you absolutely need an IV, you are not fit to race the second moto for safety reasons. Also, it would be a disadvantage to those...
If you absolutely need an IV, you are not fit to race the second moto for safety reasons. Also, it would be a disadvantage to those that don't have the means to receive an IV at the track.
Well, then how about the disadvantages of not having factory suspension, factory tires etc. That's not fair either, but they allow that.
9/6/2018 8:44pm
Well, then how about the disadvantages of not having factory suspension, factory tires etc. That's not fair either, but they allow that.
I don't make the rules bud. Simply repeating what has been said in the past as reasons why they aren't allowed.

The Shop

Zaugg
9/6/2018 8:54pm
If you absolutely need an IV, you are not fit to race the second moto for safety reasons. Also, it would be a disadvantage to those...
Not trying to pick a fight with you but you'd be surprise the "fit" guys getting IV's in between motos back in the day.

Sorry but your statement doesn't hold water.

As for the part about it being a disadvantage...you barely redeemed yourself. hahaha

Moto96
9/6/2018 8:57pm
IVs arent allowed in many sports. Too many ways to cheat and dilute out drugs in the bloodstream.
Especially in sports with weight divisions.
9/6/2018 8:58pm
Zaugg wrote:
Not trying to pick a fight with you but you'd be surprise the "fit" guys getting IV's in between motos back in the day. Sorry but...
Not trying to pick a fight with you but you'd be surprise the "fit" guys getting IV's in between motos back in the day.

As for the part about it being a disadvantage...you barely redeemed yourself. hahaha

I wouldn't be surprised at all.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
9/6/2018 8:58pm
The NFL has their own drug testing and rules that do not have anything to do with the WADA/USADA testing and rules.

That’s why a first positive test for PEDs is 4 games, not a career.
Trevor91
9/6/2018 9:00pm
4 games is a joke for them
jeffro503
9/6/2018 9:01pm
Very touchy subject in this sport. If it's for fluid's only , I wish they would allow it. Pushing a person to 90%- 100% bpm + for 35mins in 100 degree weather can deplete the hell out of any athlete , on any given day. I don't want to start a fight , but this is one thing I really wish our sport would allow. Agree with that , or don't....up to you.
9/6/2018 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 9:02pm
Best way to hydrate is via the gut anyway. Best way to feed is via the gut. IVF are unnecessary.
9/6/2018 9:03pm
Best way to hydrate is via the gut anyway. Best way to feed is via the gut. IVF fluids are unnecessary.

You’ll have uneducated yo-yos diluting themselves out and dropping like flies due to electrolyte imbalances.
jeffro503
9/6/2018 9:05pm
Moto96 wrote:
IVs arent allowed in many sports. Too many ways to cheat and dilute out drugs in the bloodstream.
Especially in sports with weight divisions.
Nonsense. Doing an iv on race day isn't even close to what an athlete can do during the week. An iv on race day will do little to no good at all at masking things they look for.
barnett468
9/6/2018 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 9:20pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Very touchy subject in this sport. If it's for fluid's only , I wish they would allow it. Pushing a person to 90%- 100% bpm +...
Very touchy subject in this sport. If it's for fluid's only , I wish they would allow it. Pushing a person to 90%- 100% bpm + for 35mins in 100 degree weather can deplete the hell out of any athlete , on any given day. I don't want to start a fight , but this is one thing I really wish our sport would allow. Agree with that , or don't....up to you.
"Pushing a person to 90%- 100% bpm + for 35mins in 100 degree weather can deplete the hell out of any athlete , on any given day."

ummm...nobody is forcing any rider to ride. It is their choice alone, and if some people can get by better than others in the heat etc, than that's the way it should be. It's called nature and the survival of the fittest, or the smartest. It would also be ridiculously unfair to the riders that can get by better than others in the heat if they allowed the others to artificially hydrate etc. If they do that then they have to allow the riders that don't need artificial hydration to blood dope so there will be about the same gap in physical performance/endurance between the 2 that there was before the pansies artificially hydrated.

jeffro503
9/6/2018 9:20pm
Artificially hydrating is not the same as blood doping. But I get your point.
barnett468
9/6/2018 9:27pm
Zaugg wrote:
Not trying to pick a fight with you but you'd be surprise the "fit" guys getting IV's in between motos back in the day. Sorry but...

I wouldn't be surprised at all.
"Not trying to pick a fight with you but you'd be surprise the "fit" guys getting IV's in between motos back in the day."

Exactly which "fit" motocross racers were getting iv's between races and how do you know that for a fact?

Moto96
9/6/2018 9:30pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Nonsense. Doing an iv on race day isn't even close to what an athlete can do during the week. An iv on race day will do...
Nonsense. Doing an iv on race day isn't even close to what an athlete can do during the week. An iv on race day will do little to no good at all at masking things they look for.
You might want to do some research. The IV Rule is quite clear.
9/6/2018 9:33pm
Technically to get an IV you need somebody to prescribe it. It's illegal because whoever started it probably bent some rules to do it. Even though I have heard of nurses doing it to each other to prevent a hang over after a hard night of partying....

9/6/2018 9:34pm
Best way to hydrate is via the gut anyway. Best way to feed is via the gut. IVF fluids are unnecessary. You’ll have uneducated yo-yos diluting...
Best way to hydrate is via the gut anyway. Best way to feed is via the gut. IVF fluids are unnecessary.

You’ll have uneducated yo-yos diluting themselves out and dropping like flies due to electrolyte imbalances.
They just need banana bags!!!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/6/2018 9:44pm
Technically to get an IV you need somebody to prescribe it. It's illegal because whoever started it probably bent some rules to do it. Even though...
Technically to get an IV you need somebody to prescribe it. It's illegal because whoever started it probably bent some rules to do it. Even though I have heard of nurses doing it to each other to prevent a hang over after a hard night of partying....

I’ve heard that quite a bit. Kind of a waste of perfectly good resources isn’t it? I know you’re in that field of weird so I’m curious as to what you think about some nurses doing that.
jeffro503
9/6/2018 9:46pm
Best way to hydrate is via the gut anyway. Best way to feed is via the gut. IVF fluids are unnecessary. You’ll have uneducated yo-yos diluting...

I didn't see your post Georgie , but I would definitely take your word for it.
tcallahan707
9/6/2018 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 9:51pm
Technically to get an IV you need somebody to prescribe it. It's illegal because whoever started it probably bent some rules to do it. Even though...

I have some ski patrol buddies who used them after partying. Whoever was in rough shape was on dispatch with a line in. This was at a very big resort. I don't have a problem with IVF, as long as the person knows what they are doing.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
9/6/2018 10:05pm
barnett468 wrote:
"Pushing a person to 90%- 100% bpm + for 35mins in 100 degree weather can deplete the hell out of any athlete , on any given...
"Pushing a person to 90%- 100% bpm + for 35mins in 100 degree weather can deplete the hell out of any athlete , on any given day."

ummm...nobody is forcing any rider to ride. It is their choice alone, and if some people can get by better than others in the heat etc, than that's the way it should be. It's called nature and the survival of the fittest, or the smartest. It would also be ridiculously unfair to the riders that can get by better than others in the heat if they allowed the others to artificially hydrate etc. If they do that then they have to allow the riders that don't need artificial hydration to blood dope so there will be about the same gap in physical performance/endurance between the 2 that there was before the pansies artificially hydrated.

This logic can, of course, be taken further. Contacts and glasses not allowed? No laser eye surgery? No tinted lenses? You can't handle the sun you suffer ! No knee braces either for you weak kneed pukes that can't hang. Roczen, go retire with your inferior wrist brace hand! If you can't get by, that's the way it should be. Also, no taping sensitive nipples either Grinning

Where do you draw the line? An IV is just putting in fluids that others are drinking. Some folks do have malabsorption issues and cannot get enough fluids though their gut no matter how much they drink, I guess we should allow them to get a prescription and a TUE for IV's.......
barnett468
9/6/2018 10:09pm
barnett468 wrote:
"Pushing a person to 90%- 100% bpm + for 35mins in 100 degree weather can deplete the hell out of any athlete , on any given...

FGR01 wrote:
This logic can, of course, be taken further. Contacts and glasses not allowed? No laser eye surgery? No tinted lenses? You can't handle the sun you...
This logic can, of course, be taken further. Contacts and glasses not allowed? No laser eye surgery? No tinted lenses? You can't handle the sun you suffer ! No knee braces either for you weak kneed pukes that can't hang. Roczen, go retire with your inferior wrist brace hand! If you can't get by, that's the way it should be. Also, no taping sensitive nipples either Grinning

Where do you draw the line? An IV is just putting in fluids that others are drinking. Some folks do have malabsorption issues and cannot get enough fluids though their gut no matter how much they drink, I guess we should allow them to get a prescription and a TUE for IV's.......
yup so just let everybody blood dope and take steroids. i like that logic, lol.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
9/6/2018 10:16pm
barnett468 wrote:

FGR01 wrote:
This logic can, of course, be taken further. Contacts and glasses not allowed? No laser eye surgery? No tinted lenses? You can't handle the sun you...

barnett468 wrote:
yup so just let everybody blood dope and take steroids. i like that logic, lol.
Well, I never suggested that but I did ask where you draw the line so I guess that is your answer. That, and we'll have to revoke Doug Henry's titles that he earned with IV's before they were banned.
barnett468
9/6/2018 10:31pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 10:33pm
FGR01 wrote:
Well, I never suggested that but I did ask where you draw the line so I guess that is your answer. That, and we'll have to...
Well, I never suggested that but I did ask where you draw the line so I guess that is your answer. That, and we'll have to revoke Doug Henry's titles that he earned with IV's before they were banned.
No you didn't suggest that, but since you obviously didn't understand why they shouldn't be allowed after reading my previous post, i figured a different approach might make sense to you, but obviously not, so you can now continue to hold on to your opinion fully intact.

As far as making rules retroactive and applying them to to the past, that is about as ludicrous and illogical and as pointless a statement that I have read in a very long time.

Instead of pointlessly trying to debate this issue with others, I suggest you simply write the racing organization and petition them to allow iv's, because complaining about it on an internet forum certainly won't change the organizations mind although I guess it might make you feel a little better...for a while anyway.

jbrown15
9/6/2018 10:50pm

I have some ski patrol buddies who used them after partying. Whoever was in rough shape was on dispatch with a line in. This was at...
I have some ski patrol buddies who used them after partying. Whoever was in rough shape was on dispatch with a line in. This was at a very big resort. I don't have a problem with IVF, as long as the person knows what they are doing.
I was in Vegas last weekend, they actually have a service that you can pay for and they come to your hotel and give you an IV cocktail to help get rid of your hangover....lol

Or they have a mobile one that's basically a limo bus that you jump and they take you for a drive around Vegas while getting a few IV's.
jbrown15
9/6/2018 10:53pm
I've listened to a few of Joe Rogan's podcasts when he's had Jeff Novitzky who works for the UFC on talking about how in the past athletes could use IV's to help mask the use of PED's. So that's why they are banned.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
9/6/2018 11:03pm
They should be allowed in the medical tent for riders that have suffered or are near dehydration. That way they can monitor what’s going into the riders. I don’t think the riders should be allowed to have their own team administer them.
TDeath21
9/7/2018 12:32am
KennyT wrote:
They should be allowed in the medical tent for riders that have suffered or are near dehydration. That way they can monitor what’s going into the...
They should be allowed in the medical tent for riders that have suffered or are near dehydration. That way they can monitor what’s going into the riders. I don’t think the riders should be allowed to have their own team administer them.
They are available and if it’s that bad then they’ll give them the IV and not allow them to compete. I’m no doctor but I don’t think someone should go 30+2 shortly after an IV to help with severe dehydration.

Post a reply to: Why are IV's banned?

The Latest