Why are Bill’s Pipes not more popular?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/31/2018 1:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2018 1:50 AM

So for the last few weeks I’ve been looking for a exhaust for my sons KX85. I looked at pretty much everything and also emailed a bunch of manufacturers, some vaguely replied and some not at all. Bills replied and gave me the information I was looking for so that was the one I ordered. We’re in the uk but luckily found DocWob had one over here for the kx so it was with me in a couple of days.
The fit and finish of this pipe is second to none that I have owned before, the quality of the welds is absolutely incredible. The pipe fit on as if it were produced by Kawasaki and according to my 10 year old son it performed exactly as they told me it would. In his own words it rips, it’s just easier to hit the bigger jumps.
Bills told me they’d tested agains fmf, hgs and pro Circuit and their pipe outperformed them all throughout the entire rev range.
Unless anything changes like the pipe falling apart Bills will definitely be my go to pipe and I’ll be recommending others to try them.
Photo

|

1/31/2018 1:05 AM

They have only just started operating again in the last two or so years. Believe when four strokes took over, Bills started to die off. Really excited to see them back operating again.

|

1/31/2018 1:20 AM

I used to love Bill's pipes. I remember having one on my 1998 YZ250R and it was the most gains I've ever had in just a pipe. It's was unreal.

|

1/31/2018 1:52 AM

I'd say marketing is the biggest reason. I had one of their pipes for my RM250 and it was awesome. Fit, finish and easier to ride, more roll on and control and faster laps type power.

|

1/31/2018 2:00 AM

I helped a guy install one on his 2016 YZ250f at the track one day. I will admit I was surprised at the quality. He was a fast vet and had recently dropped from 450's down to a 250f. His "engine" guy told him to try the Bills pipe, he really liked the change in the bike....

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

1/31/2018 2:26 AM

I've never owned a Bills but will definitely consider one when I'm in the market for a new pipe.

My guess would be that the pipe market is already pretty stacked with a lot of well known names that have a reputation for good pipes with decent gains (most of the time)
Other factors include Bills being a little quiet on the Pro scene, unlike say Pro Circuit and FMF who's pipes can be found on most of the Pro bikes. Especially in the US.
This leads to Bills being lesser known and to some people not as 'cool' as say an FMF or Pro Circuit. I'll hold my hands up and admit that I bought a PC pipe for my RM250 years ago simply because they look ace, sound incredible and its what Carmichael used on his RM250, and I was building a Carmichael replica.

|

@russ_69

1/31/2018 3:11 AM

Bills IS hugely popular, just not in the UK.
Madison powersports was the importer to the UK for a while but evidently didn't hit the figures that size of company expects so they canned it, now Doc Wob is the importer, but it does appear that he too is doing it half hearted job of it- low stock, hit & miss delivery dates, etc etc.... Perhaps this is merely a reflection of the size of the business here in the UK? There cannot be fortunes to be made from it, so why invest big time. Doc Wob is no mug in this field.

A very good friend of mine is personal friends with Bill cervera. He tells some interesting stories- he's old skool, been around a long time and seen a lot of things.
Did you know in the early days Bill made Pro circuit pipes for Mitch?
Bill is a two stroke fanatic and expert. When four strokes were coming in he hooked up with Big Gun and made pipes for them which I believe are now Branded Bill's.
I think a big part of his business now revolves around building roll cages for race cars if I remember right.

|

The above may be fact or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting. I am not sure, you have no chance.

1/31/2018 3:19 AM

I have used Bills since the 90's on my CR125's. Always loved their pipes.

When I got my 2014 YZ 250 smoker I went with the Bills pipe, the performance is real good loved the over rev with the pipe for sure, however the build quality was not great, had welds that were cold and after 10 hours with no crashes failed on the mount, pipe then split about 5" out from the cylinder on a non welded area. Mind you the bike had no crashes on it or damage either. I repaired everything my self but then it cracked again on the spring mount and ripped a 3/4" hole out in the process. I retired the pipe. I went with PC. Build quality is better. Bummer because I really liked the power delivery on my Bills.

|

1/31/2018 4:09 AM

Never ran one, had FMF, PC and Yosh on four strokes but damn Bills always look so nice.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/31/2018 4:52 AM

I’ve had several, and the quality is top notch. I’d say the biggest reason they aren’t more we’ll known is simply because that don’t spend big money on marketing-racing.

|

1/31/2018 5:33 AM

Photo

I love my Bills pipe, out of all the companies I had contact with when I bought it (nearly 3-yrs ago), they were the most helpful. I got the full system.
|

1/31/2018 6:59 AM

I ran Bill's pipes on all my 90's CR's. Those bikes would rip through the midrange. I haven't used them since their resurgence lately because I wasn't sure if it was the same owners. I didn't like their "simulated" cone pipes. Seemed like a gimmick.

|

Name withheld... Esquire

1/31/2018 7:04 AM

Lamson ran them on Factory Honda
Photo

|

1/31/2018 7:05 AM

Photo ill only run bills. The customer service is awesome and being so close to the shop its cool to walk in and they treat you with respect unlike a lot of companies in this industry that just stick there nose in the air unless you are somebody speacial. If you look into the history its actually pretty interesting.

|

1/31/2018 7:32 AM

Bill's all the way...

Photo

|

James

1/31/2018 7:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2018 7:43 AM

I loved my PC works with R304 silencer on my YZ250.
This cone pipe look a like killed it for me for sure. Photo

|

1/31/2018 8:12 AM

SoCalMX70 wrote:

Bill's all the way...

Photo

That exhaust looks like complete garbage ! Why would anyone use 6 inch stove pipe for an exhaust stack ?

|

1/31/2018 8:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2018 8:18 AM

Underground wrote:

I'd say marketing is the biggest reason. I had one of their pipes for my RM250 and it was awesome. Fit, finish and easier to ride, more roll on and control and faster laps type power.

Agreed. Horrible name of a performance company. Kills an otherwise great product.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.

Usage: Slang

1/31/2018 8:26 AM

Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

Bills IS hugely popular, just not in the UK.
Madison powersports was the importer to the UK for a while but evidently didn't hit the figures that size of company expects so they canned it, now Doc Wob is the importer, but it does appear that he too is doing it half hearted job of it- low stock, hit & miss delivery dates, etc etc.... Perhaps this is merely a reflection of the size of the business here in the UK? There cannot be fortunes to be made from it, so why invest big time. Doc Wob is no mug in this field.

A very good friend of mine is personal friends with Bill cervera. He tells some interesting stories- he's old skool, been around a long time and seen a lot of things.
Did you know in the early days Bill made Pro circuit pipes for Mitch?
Bill is a two stroke fanatic and expert. When four strokes were coming in he hooked up with Big Gun and made pipes for them which I believe are now Branded Bill's.
I think a big part of his business now revolves around building roll cages for race cars if I remember right.

Agreed... they seem to be like gold dust in the UK. I tried sourcing a Bill's Pipe system for my RM125 for ages via the well known moto shops locally, but no one could get them.

Doc Wob hooked me up eventually, and man am I glad he did! It would have been easier to just get a Pro Circuit pipe for the Suzuki, but c'mon, Bills were made for them - what a combo!

|

1/31/2018 8:32 AM

I have a full system on my YZ 250. I ran a full Pro Circuit system for years. The Bill's has more role on power and pulls harder in the mid-range. Pro circuit has less bottom in and then explodes from the mid-range up and pulls farther up top than the Bill's.

In my opinion the bike is easier to ride fast with the Bill's versus the PC.

|

1/31/2018 8:37 AM

A little while back Bill was pretty much retired and done with the business so Big Gun Exhaust moved into his shop since all the tooling was there to work with. Bill still came around and helped with designing and testing. Big Gun has now moved into a different shop and Bill decided to keep his shop running with his products. Bill is a great guy. Like someone else mentioned, Bill used to make pipes for Mitch Payton.....they're still neighbors to this day.

|

1/31/2018 8:42 AM

My friend had a Bills on his KX back in the days with the "chrome" finish. Say what you want about chrome but that pipe made his KX look like a freaking Harley dizzy

|

KX125

1/31/2018 8:44 AM

MR. X wrote:

That exhaust looks like complete garbage ! Why would anyone use 6 inch stove pipe for an exhaust stack ?

I lol'ed

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/31/2018 8:54 AM

If Tomac doesn’t use it I don’t want it.

|

1/31/2018 8:57 AM

It’s the name....Pro Circuit...FMF...now those are cool stickers

|

1/31/2018 9:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2018 9:33 AM

Put a bills pipe on my boys 2016 YZ85, he loves it, and is a very quality product. Looks great, and performs better over stock. The YZ is all top end, wanted a little more grunt off the bottom, and this pipe delivered. My boy says it’s better off the bottom, and pulls really hard up thru the rest of the power range. Much easier for him to ride. It’s all we’ll buy from now on.Photo

Photo

|

1/31/2018 9:38 AM

KennyT wrote:

It’s the name....Pro Circuit...FMF...now those are cool stickers

Yeah that's right, stickers is where it's at. BS makes the world go round.

|

1/31/2018 9:51 AM

Bills Pipes were the business back in the '90's and glad to see him making a comeback. I had to search like a madman to find one for my 96 CR125 project...........

|

1/31/2018 11:02 AM

Photo

|

Instagram: @TrevorHunter224
Facebook: Trevor Hunter 224
YouTube: Trevor Hunter 224

1/31/2018 11:11 AM

bills and klemm research pipes were the thing in the two stoke days , glad to see Bills coming back around

|