Why all the talk?

Regis
Fantasy
340th
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 7:00am
About riders not having heart?

Because Dowd and Robbie Marshall made people look stupid at a sand race? You guys are discrediting those guys SO much by saying the rest don't have heart or weren't giving it their all.

Which riders look like aren't giving it their all? Really? I watched Reed, who wrapped up the championship almost go 1-1 yesterday and he didn't because he ATE SHIT while pushing it while out in front when he didn't need to.

I really don't see any "rockstar" rider out there just riding around, Maybe J-law? Seriously... name a rider who you think is out there just collecting a paycheck... A majority of them are riding injured or are just coming back, or just had bad luck. Tyla Rattray, not have heart? The guy broke his thumb a few weeks ago. Dungey? Weimer? Metcalfe? Tell me who?

Don't start this "I have worked 70 to 80 hours a week and blah blah blah" It isn't the same. Training, injuries, and twisting the throttle is so much different then mental stress of a job and long hours, Alan as a trainer you know that better than anyone....

You guys want to get on Byrner's case for what? The guy tied for the overall yesterday. He hasn't put a whole year together without getting hurt, maybe he backed it down knowing he was getting through the weekend safe and injury free, Reed nearly didn't. So what if Dowd passed him. Have you not all learned by now that Dowd id super human at Southwick and always has been? Did you watch it on TV and see his lines and riding style was COMPLETELY different then everybody else's? The guy is fit and knows how to twist the throttle, ESPECIALLY at the wick!

Bottom line is all this talk is coming because John Dowd waxed them yesterday? Newsflash!!! John Dowd would have WAXED ANYBODY yesterday in the world at that track and blaming the other riders for their lack of heart contributing to his good finish is a slap in his face and Georke's and Marshall's.

|
Truman
8/30/2009 7:13pm
Regis wrote:
About riders not having heart? Because Dowd and Robbie Marshall made people look stupid at a sand race? You guys are discrediting those guys SO much...

Because Dowd and Robbie Marshall made people look stupid at a sand race? You guys are discrediting those guys SO much by saying the rest don't have heart or weren't giving it their all.

Which riders look like aren't giving it their all? Really? I watched Reed, who wrapped up the championship almost go 1-1 yesterday and he didn't because he ATE SHIT while pushing it while out in front when he didn't need to.

I really don't see any "rockstar" rider out there just riding around, Maybe J-law? Seriously... name a rider who you think is out there just collecting a paycheck... A majority of them are riding injured or are just coming back, or just had bad luck. Tyla Rattray, not have heart? The guy broke his thumb a few weeks ago. Dungey? Weimer? Metcalfe? Tell me who?

Don't start this "I have worked 70 to 80 hours a week and blah blah blah" It isn't the same. Training, injuries, and twisting the throttle is so much different then mental stress of a job and long hours, Alan as a trainer you know that better than anyone....

You guys want to get on Byrner's case for what? The guy tied for the overall yesterday. He hasn't put a whole year together without getting hurt, maybe he backed it down knowing he was getting through the weekend safe and injury free, Reed nearly didn't. So what if Dowd passed him. Have you not all learned by now that Dowd id super human at Southwick and always has been? Did you watch it on TV and see his lines and riding style was COMPLETELY different then everybody else's? The guy is fit and knows how to twist the throttle, ESPECIALLY at the wick!

Bottom line is all this talk is coming because John Dowd waxed them yesterday? Newsflash!!! John Dowd would have WAXED ANYBODY yesterday in the world at that track and blaming the other riders for their lack of heart contributing to his good finish is a slap in his face and Georke's and Marshall's.

I'm with you on this one. Good post.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
8/30/2009 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:53am
Tedesco at shit in moto one and looked like he was hurting, he came back in the second moto

Short has health issues they keep referencing and who knows, maybe he has more heart than everybody to even be out there?

Moss took a nap at Colorado and was sat down by his team to let his head heal, after coming back for SX after what 6 weeks or so with a BROKEN BACK?

Should we keep going?

Rattray just came back with a broken thumb, Metcalfe had his collarbone sugicaly repaired and had complications all the way up until Glen Helen,
Milsaps..... Hamblin came on here a couple days ago and told everyone that DV18 can't turn his head side to side without it LOCKING up due to the neck injury he sustained at Sacramento... No heart?

8/30/2009 7:17pm
agreed!

If your comp is bad, then are you truly good? One defines the other and home track advantage is HUGE when the home track is NOTHING like any track you race on for 11 other weeks!

BobbyM said it the best... JS should thank CR because without CR, this Supercross Championship would not have meant as much to him!!! Because 1 defines the other!
Regis
Fantasy
340th
8/30/2009 7:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:53am
Bobby is right!

without Reed in SX the overall championship stigma may have been different. BUt all this talk abot riders not having heart is mind boggling.

do you think for a minute they aren't all aware of the current state of the economy and the lack of rides available for next year? You really think these guys are just rolling over?

I wish our sport was more like NFL or MLB where injuries are fully acknowledged and openly talked about. We see a couple guys get some bad finishes and we jump on them for not haveing heart or not trying. Fact is, we have no idea what is going on.

You're only as good as your last race!

The Shop

flarider
8/30/2009 7:48pm
Regis, Dan, I'm not going to get into a big pissing match and I think it goes without saying that I (and others) are not talking about every rider on the track yesterday, but there are a few riders and team managers would should be pissed, I really don't care if you agree or not.
On top of that, let's examine it from the corporate level, where the money comes from, the guys they pay truckloads of money to got beat by not only a guy old enough to be their rider's father (on an OEM bike), they also got beat by a kid who's a "part timer" on a factory bike with limited testing and saddle time on it....which by the way makes Matt's win all the more impressive.

Yes, we have bad days and we have bad races, understandable, but look at the big picture here and how yesterday would reflect upon your company, team and riders, as an OEM.

and before you say anymore, you tell me how Mitch would've reacted if he had a 450 team and that had happened to his team.
You both know damn well as I do that he would not just let it slide and say nothing and blow it all off as another day at the track.
BobbyM
8/30/2009 7:54pm
Regis wrote:
About riders not having heart? Because Dowd and Robbie Marshall made people look stupid at a sand race? You guys are discrediting those guys SO much...

just been along time a coming man. andy...did you have heart? i remember that you did...or do...or had. i could be wrong...Wink

byrner did great last week and is doing great all season actually. 500guy was just talking shit and trying to make a point. byrner is one of the few guys that deserve a factory ride at this point imho
Regis
Fantasy
340th
8/30/2009 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:53am
Dave- I don't think anybody is letting it slide or blowing anything off. What exactly or WHO exactly are you talking about?

And Georke, He isn't a "part timer"- fact is he has been around for a long time a few years and is fast as you know know what! He was fastest qualifier at Unadilla, he has had great finishes and flashes of brilliance all year. And where is he from? Florida? hmmm seems to me Florida guys kick ass in the sand too.. huh. Or is that just my imagination? But he kicks ass everywhere, wasn;t he running up front at Washougal?

He put one together yesterday! Kudos to him!

Not getting into a pissing match with your stubborn ass that is for sure! Smile I am for sure not trying to change your corporate mind, I know what that's like. I would have a better chance talking to my wall!
Regis
Fantasy
340th
8/30/2009 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:53am
Regis wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
just been along time a coming man. andy...did you have heart? i remember that you did...or do...or had. i could be wrong...;) byrner did great last...
just been along time a coming man. andy...did you have heart? i remember that you did...or do...or had. i could be wrong...Wink

byrner did great last week and is doing great all season actually. 500guy was just talking shit and trying to make a point. byrner is one of the few guys that deserve a factory ride at this point imho
I thought I did Bobby, I did really try, if there was a wheel there was a way. But the ONE year I had my shot with the factory ride I had 2 shoulder surgeries got my ASS SMOKED at Southwick at my first race back and a lot of other races and my heart was questioned when actually I was trying harder than anyone knew.

Maybe I should have taken an ad out in cycle news explaining what I was going through? Wink

BTW- I like Dave, 500guy and MXTrainer... this isn't personal just a difference of opinion. I guess my "heart" is with the riders....
500guy
8/30/2009 8:21pm
Regis, I don't blame you for defending the riders.

You just can't honestly excuse some of the seasons more than a few riders have had.

Milsaps admitted during SX that he was over it and not training hard and that's just one of them.
croom mx
8/30/2009 8:24pm
When was the last time you guys saw a 44 year old rider finish 3 overall in a National?
Truman
8/30/2009 8:25pm
croom mx wrote:
When was the last time you guys saw a 44 year old rider finish 3 overall in a National?
Yesterday...What do I win?
curmudgeon
8/30/2009 8:27pm
Regis wrote:
Dave- I don't think anybody is letting it slide or blowing anything off. What exactly or WHO exactly are you talking about? And Georke, He isn't...
Dave- I don't think anybody is letting it slide or blowing anything off. What exactly or WHO exactly are you talking about?

And Georke, He isn't a "part timer"- fact is he has been around for a long time a few years and is fast as you know know what! He was fastest qualifier at Unadilla, he has had great finishes and flashes of brilliance all year. And where is he from? Florida? hmmm seems to me Florida guys kick ass in the sand too.. huh. Or is that just my imagination? But he kicks ass everywhere, wasn;t he running up front at Washougal?

He put one together yesterday! Kudos to him!

Not getting into a pissing match with your stubborn ass that is for sure! Smile I am for sure not trying to change your corporate mind, I know what that's like. I would have a better chance talking to my wall!
Georke is a "part timer" on a Factory Bike. That is what Dave said. Man people get on grammar here all the time, but reading comprehension seems to be a bigger problem.
j100
8/30/2009 8:30pm
croom mx wrote:
who was the last person to get their first factory ride at 29?
Looped Out
8/30/2009 8:39pm
Here's what I think. I don't think the riders in the 450 class don't have heart, but I do think the level of speed and effort is low. This is the reason Dowd and Marshall were able to do as well as they did. Yes they are "sand riders", but the other guys are the best riders in World....right? Well the best riders in the World should be right there with these "sand riders", not doing well one moto and not the other or just off all day long.

When you have a year that riders don't race and a hand full of top riders are injured and not racing, the level of comp just is not going to be there. We are two races from the end of the 2009 Outdoor series and most of the National Pro Riders are over it and they go to Southwick and it showed. This is why there has been so much talk Regis, because guys that are still out there racing weren't giving as much effort as they should have and it showed. Effort is one thing that a racer can't hide.
Farva
8/30/2009 8:52pm
flarider wrote:
Regis, Dan, I'm not going to get into a big pissing match and I think it goes without saying that I (and others) are not talking...
Regis, Dan, I'm not going to get into a big pissing match and I think it goes without saying that I (and others) are not talking about every rider on the track yesterday, but there are a few riders and team managers would should be pissed, I really don't care if you agree or not.
On top of that, let's examine it from the corporate level, where the money comes from, the guys they pay truckloads of money to got beat by not only a guy old enough to be their rider's father (on an OEM bike), they also got beat by a kid who's a "part timer" on a factory bike with limited testing and saddle time on it....which by the way makes Matt's win all the more impressive.

Yes, we have bad days and we have bad races, understandable, but look at the big picture here and how yesterday would reflect upon your company, team and riders, as an OEM.

and before you say anymore, you tell me how Mitch would've reacted if he had a 450 team and that had happened to his team.
You both know damn well as I do that he would not just let it slide and say nothing and blow it all off as another day at the track.
Who do you consider to not have heart?
twizzler
8/30/2009 9:04pm
Some riders have no heart because they already are rollin' like a big shot with all the money and the cars and the ho's!
Crush
8/30/2009 9:32pm
I'll tell you why...

It isn't the riders have no heart...

Its the internet twits mostly have no fucking idea...
akmx17
8/30/2009 9:38pm
500guy wrote:
Regis, I don't blame you for defending the riders. You just can't honestly excuse some of the seasons more than a few riders have had. Milsaps...

You just can't honestly excuse some of the seasons more than a few riders have had.

Milsaps admitted during SX that he was over it and not training hard and that's just one of them.
Okay, so why are you throwing Byrne and everyone else under the bus for what Milsaps does?
8/30/2009 9:38pm
Let's get 'em all paralyzed and then call them too stupid to back it down like you fools talk about Bubba.

Ya gotta have heart to get there.

Once you are there ....39 of you are gonna get a knife stuck through it.

Keep on giving the kids pay cuts to save the Japanese companies who now sell you bikes for $7,200

You guy's are fucking jokers.

Tomcat375
8/30/2009 10:25pm
Its amazing that people question these riders heart because they were beaten by a better rider on the day, regardless of age, John Dowd is a great rider and typically rides exceptional at Southwick, does that mean in all the previous years he has done well, and still been alot older than his competitors that they all had no heart then? i don't think so. Maybe it shows that everyone in that race has heart, and regardless of age can be competitive, i say all 40 riders have alot more heart than the people bad mouthing them on here.
Jack Flash
8/30/2009 10:32pm
Maybe the others should practice riding sand more??
Nerd
8/30/2009 10:50pm
2005 Southwick National (Dowd was 40 at the time):

1. Ricky Carmichael (2-1)
2. Chad Reed (1-2)
3. John Dowd (3-3)
4. Kevin Windham (4-4)
5. Doug Henry (6-6)
6. Nick Wey (8-5)
7. Travis Preston (9-7)
8. Ernesto Fonseca (7-11)
9. Ryan Clark (13-9)
10. Juss Laansoo (10-12)
11. Jeff Dement (16-8)
12. David Vuillemin (5-27)
13. Jason Thomas (14-15)
14. Michael Byrne (33-10)
15. Scott Carter (17-14)
16. Timmy Ferry (11-24)
17. Jeff Alessi (12-31
18. Cole Siebler (30-13)
19. Heath Voss (15-33)
20. Justin Buckelew (21-16)

John Dowd is just bad-ass in the sand. Period. He'll still be bad-ass at 50.

Also, he raced his first race at 20 years old, so he's only 24 years from his first race. Kevin Windham has been racing longer. In terms of racing age, he's not that old.
teggers
8/30/2009 11:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2009 11:13pm
I have not read past the first thread..... Thanks. Well said.
8/30/2009 11:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:53am
you know why you dont hardly hear about injuries or personal issues in MX? I can no shit tell you.

A.) because everyone will just say its an excuse they arent up where they normally are and are pussies
B.) because if they announced every time they got hurt they might get labled as a medical case that cant stay healthy
C.) because everyone that matters as far as hiring KNOWS the riders are in a state of "dinged" up majority of the time and know who has heart and is gutting out 10th place finishes when they normally are easy top 5. so why announce it?
D.) because mx is a HUGE mental game. If we are both the same speed, and I KNOW I can beat you, and you are HOPING you can beat me, Im going to win 99% of the time. So, if you KNOW you can beat 35 of the riders every week, and announce you cant hardly lift your leg, you could let it slip into someones mind that they can NOW beat you and your in trouble because you are actually hurt, so now a guy you beat thats the same speed knows your not up to code and there is another spot gone while your gutting out a ride.
E.) you dont say your hurt because then you wont be a man... thats how it is in this sport.
teggers
8/31/2009 12:37am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2009 12:41am
D is good. Lots of words, but pretty accurate. Matt Tedder did that to me one time. Pretty good post for a newbie.
Huckster
8/31/2009 3:41am
500guy wrote:
Regis, I don't blame you for defending the riders. You just can't honestly excuse some of the seasons more than a few riders have had. Milsaps...

akmx17 wrote:
Okay, so why are you throwing Byrne and everyone else under the bus for what Milsaps does?
Regis is right. Dowd is an animal in the sand any year whether he is 30, 40 or probably 50. Team Kawi is home injured, as is Team Yamaha and 1/3 of Team suzuki. Goerke beat him, so did Byrne and Chad had him covered if not for a big get off. That leaves Team Honda. As REgis said, IT hit the deck hard in practice and moto 1, Short is sick and gutting it out and for those that don't know, Milsaps brother in law, Charles Ellis, is in the hospital with multiple bad injuries sustained from a practice crash this week. Davi was with him on Wed at a race on LI.

Maybe give some thought to your post before you go play arm chair psychologist and rail all the factory guys.

Shocker
8/31/2009 3:44am
j100 wrote:
who was the last person to get their first factory ride at 29?
Dowd... Unless you were being retoricle, then I will STFU
flarider
8/31/2009 4:57am
Farva wrote:
Who do you consider to not have heart?
Show me where I ever accused anyone of not having heart or said anything about anyone not having heart.
I didn't, so piss off.

Rarely, if ever, do I comment on rider performances, but I think people are missing the point of my comments, which is the appearance of this weekend's results on the teams and riders.
Go back and re-read my comments in both threads where I said "look at the big picture here and how yesterday would reflect upon your company, team and riders, as an OEM. " or similar.

I never pointed out any specific team or rider, and I also acknowledged that people have bad days and some are injured.

So maybe people might want to consider not READING INTO what is written and actually read the words that are written.

Post a reply to: Why all the talk?

The Latest