Why Motocross?

GarySemics
Edited Date/Time 12/17/2019 9:34pm
https://youtu.be/Q81eNNt_uK8

Motocross Addiction is contagious. The first sign is a fever. I’ve been spending most of my entire life, trying to figure out how to go faster on a dirt bike. I realize that sounds pretty stupid to most people, but that’s because they don’t know about motocross. So, let me shed some light on the subject.

Once upon a time, back in Ohio, when winter was turning into spring, I had a friend who would going around saying, I got the fever, I got the fever. This was his way of letting all his friends know that he couldn’t wait to start riding again. What is it about motocross that pulls so many, fun loving people in, hook line and sinker? Well, it’s exciting, fun, competitive, challenging, and it satisfies, the need for speed.

Ask anyone who has ridden and raced long enough to reach a high skill level, and they will all tell you; nothing compares! The higher the skill level, the more the rider and motorcycle have become one! This means they are no longer limited to you own physical strength and endurance, but also the motorcycle’s. Now, they can run over 70 mph, they can launch over 100 feet through the air, they can climb long, steep hills within seconds. They now have, super human strength and endurance. The engine and the front and rear tire contact to the soil, has become highly tuned into their sensory perception. Since they’re always moving, their eye site has developed the skill to slowdown motion and acutely notice and remember every 10 yards of track in front of them, and nothing else. This movement and horse power is controlled with their body movements and intricate, sensitive feelings through their right wrist, hands, fingers and feet. Their hands, fingers and feet have become hard wired into the clutch, throttle, front and rear brakes, and the shifter. Pro racers make a rough motocross track, the bike and themselves look like poetry in motion!

Not only is the engine revving, their heart rate is also revving, engaged by physical exertion and the edge of danger. When practicing, and especially while racing, their mind and body has to be all in, 100% focused on the task at hand, and nothing else, not even for a millisecond. Welcome to the realm of total flow concentration.

The rewards of staying in this flow, while just practicing is amazing. Flowing through an entire day of racing, and winning, is beyond words. Once you taste it, you want more, and before you know it, its in your blood. You’re living a, Life Behind Bars” (handlebars, that is) for the rest of your days on this planet. If not, actually on the bike, at least in the industry, around awesome, like minded, good people! Just be sure to stay contagious, keep running a high temperature, and let everybody know, you got the fever.

Learn all the techniques of motocross at… https://gsmxs.com

Stream and Download all my techniques and training videos at… https://garysemicsmxschoolsandvideos.intelivideo.com/
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
12/11/2019 2:32pm
Well said, Gary.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/11/2019 9:06pm
This was so perfectly said, wow!
Great job putting it into works Gary.
snackfedbear
12/11/2019 9:25pm
I think I need motocrossers anonymous... got the fever blisters to prove it
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
12/11/2019 9:50pm
Gary’s threads are the only ones I’ll look at just because of who posted it. Another solid post again!

The Shop

FWYT
12/11/2019 9:59pm
Yes!
bvm111
12/11/2019 9:59pm
I love it because everyone that can ride motorcycles can’t all ride MX or ride it well. I may not be the fastest and I’ll be the first to admit I never was even close, but, even now at my age I know I can ride well. I take pride in my technique, I take pride in figuring out the technical sections that not everyone else can do even though they are faster riders overall, like that little double right out of the corner you have to seat bounce! I crave the focus, I crave the intensity, I crave the athleticism and after 29 years of military service in the army with multiple deployments it is the only thing that takes the edge off of the PTSD that bubbles to the surface in my coconut and evens me out!

I love MX and will ride until I can’t anymore... who is riding this weekend, I know I am!
ledger
12/11/2019 11:45pm
Good stuff. Anyone ever think of their job or other responsibilities when turning laps ? I don't either.
motomike137
12/12/2019 3:44am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2019 3:49am
I can't imagine my life without it. Even though my riding has slowed to a trickle the last few years I still feel like the sport is at the core of who I identify as in this world. I've been having the itch recently to get my ass back into halfway decent shape and go after the 60+ title in D14 next year. I've probably "quit" racing a half dozen times in my life and motocross drags me back in. It such an intense feeling to get near you limits or past them on the bike. For many of us it is a camaraderie of like minded adrenaline junkies who can't stop shooting up. Motocross is cool because it is an international language spoken around the world and from the slowest rider all the way to Eli and Jeffery we all can sit around bench racing and relate to each other. There truly is nothing else like it Smile

edit: Gary is one of the guys I idolized growing up along with Gary Jones and many more. They are just enough older than me that they were into their prime while I was a young teen. What other sport or activity is there where you end up on an internet forum communicating directly with or at a big race competing against your heros?
GarySemics
12/12/2019 5:08am
Hey, it's great hearing from you guys, and about your passion for motocross!
Motoxdoc
12/12/2019 6:31am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2019 6:34am
Caught the fever when I was 10 yo. I’m 55 yo now and I’m glad I never found a cure!
Btw Gary, I raced with you in the Golden State Series in ‘84’!
12/12/2019 7:36am
I just want to ride with my kids some day. They are 2 years old so it will be a few years but the day my oldest is faster will be an extremely proud day. So cool watching them start with strider on a base, then to strider, then to Stacyc and next year a 50.
jeffro503
12/12/2019 7:51am
Man , that was a great write up Gary. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Agree with every single word.
jeffro503
12/12/2019 7:57am
bvm111 wrote:
I love it because everyone that can ride motorcycles can’t all ride MX or ride it well. I may not be the fastest and I’ll be...
I love it because everyone that can ride motorcycles can’t all ride MX or ride it well. I may not be the fastest and I’ll be the first to admit I never was even close, but, even now at my age I know I can ride well. I take pride in my technique, I take pride in figuring out the technical sections that not everyone else can do even though they are faster riders overall, like that little double right out of the corner you have to seat bounce! I crave the focus, I crave the intensity, I crave the athleticism and after 29 years of military service in the army with multiple deployments it is the only thing that takes the edge off of the PTSD that bubbles to the surface in my coconut and evens me out!

I love MX and will ride until I can’t anymore... who is riding this weekend, I know I am!
And that my friend was very well said too! Hope we get to hook up again for some riding again one day. And B......thank you for all those years in the service!
OldPro277
12/12/2019 8:28am
GarySemics wrote:
Gary, that was a close to being as perfect an explanation of Moto that I've heard , great job !!! I was an AMA Pro back in your era and raced several times with you. When I say "race" I should say was on the same gate as you,lol. I retired from racing in 1980 and didn't touch a bike for 35 years, but the itch was always there. A couple years ago I decided to get back into riding and start doing Vintage cross country and moto. REALLY wish I hadn't quit. But I just turned 60 and would like to kick a little ass in the +60 class this year ( some of those dudes never quit and are extremely fast !!!) I was planning on contacting you after the Holidays to schedule some private or semi private "track time consultation". Can you teach a 60 yo how to jump modern-style instead of the mid 70"s hanging off the back of the bike method ?? lol. I need more help than that ,but jumping help is my biggest weak area.
I've long held the belief that you and David would be best choice because of your skill, experience AND the fact you raced the 70's/early 80's machines. Anyway, what kind of advance notice do I need to schedule something with you for later in the spring ? I'm currently rehabbing from 8 anchors put in my shoulder to stabilize a detached Labrum that happened earlier this season from a little incident at Mid Ohio Vintage days,lol. I'm planning on being ready for the Daytona Vintage races , but we'll see .
Anyway, its great to have you on this site and hopefully we can get this old carcass back up to speed !! Talk to you soon, Mick
mikec265
12/12/2019 11:18am
Gary,

When are you coming back to Ohio? 2 of us would like to take a class. I suppose we have the right to remain silent....
Titanium
12/12/2019 12:45pm
Perfectly articulated, thanks for that Gary. This should be required reading for MX spouse's and naysayer friends!!

On the other hand, some things non riders will never understand...
Lightning78
12/12/2019 1:11pm
A while back I'd always have trouble trying to explain what it's like the physical feeling and sensation of speed g-forces jumping everything riding a dirt bike especially on Motocross what I found out at an amusement park one day is that it's possible to show the similar physical sensations of doing this on a roller coaster but you have to do it a certain way by letting go of the bar in front of you sing centered in your seat and flowing with the coaster track from your midsection hips Etc I did this one day on the Colossus ride just for fun and found it was nearly identical and a lot of fun I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly but sitting in the seat on The New Colossus revamp ride really showed me a similar feeling kind of funny that way so I kept riding it. This may sound a little off and leave some scratching their heads but it's the only way I could even come close to explaining what it's like to be on a bike ripping around a track flowing with turns floating over jumps Etc has anybody else had a similar experience?
GarySemics
12/13/2019 5:54am
GarySemics wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Gary, that was a close to being as perfect an explanation of Moto that I've heard , great job !!! I was an AMA Pro back...
Gary, that was a close to being as perfect an explanation of Moto that I've heard , great job !!! I was an AMA Pro back in your era and raced several times with you. When I say "race" I should say was on the same gate as you,lol. I retired from racing in 1980 and didn't touch a bike for 35 years, but the itch was always there. A couple years ago I decided to get back into riding and start doing Vintage cross country and moto. REALLY wish I hadn't quit. But I just turned 60 and would like to kick a little ass in the +60 class this year ( some of those dudes never quit and are extremely fast !!!) I was planning on contacting you after the Holidays to schedule some private or semi private "track time consultation". Can you teach a 60 yo how to jump modern-style instead of the mid 70"s hanging off the back of the bike method ?? lol. I need more help than that ,but jumping help is my biggest weak area.
I've long held the belief that you and David would be best choice because of your skill, experience AND the fact you raced the 70's/early 80's machines. Anyway, what kind of advance notice do I need to schedule something with you for later in the spring ? I'm currently rehabbing from 8 anchors put in my shoulder to stabilize a detached Labrum that happened earlier this season from a little incident at Mid Ohio Vintage days,lol. I'm planning on being ready for the Daytona Vintage races , but we'll see .
Anyway, its great to have you on this site and hopefully we can get this old carcass back up to speed !! Talk to you soon, Mick
Hi Mick, hey yeah I can do a or some private lessons for you. I’ll be teaching in NC until April. Then doing the same at our main base in Lisbon OH starting May 1st. More info and contact me here... https://gsmxs.com/private-motocross-lessons/

In the mean time u may want to get a head start with this... https://garysemicsmxschoolsandvideos.intelivideo.com/
kage173
12/13/2019 6:43am
Good post Gary. I bought your videos several years ago and I still watch them
GarySemics
12/13/2019 6:34pm
mikec265 wrote:
Gary, When are you coming back to Ohio? 2 of us would like to take a class. I suppose we have the right to remain silent...
Gary,

When are you coming back to Ohio? 2 of us would like to take a class. I suppose we have the right to remain silent....
Should be back in OH from NC by May 1. More info and contact me from my private lessons page... https://gsmxs.com/private-motocross-lessons/
Bearuno
12/13/2019 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2019 9:35pm
Gary - I think I may have suggested this to you before, but, once again:

Please Write A Book On Your Racing Career.

I'm not sure if it's just been this site, or, over the years, I've seen various stories about your GP career, by you, on other sites or magazines, but, they all were remarkable tales, told superbly.

Things like your getting that (year old?) RC500, and your racing it, and, I think using it for a Moto win (can't recall if you got an Outright?) at the Canadian GP - with your family going up to see you.

And, well before that, with your racing for Kawasaki etc, in the Nationals. You were there for so much of the revolutionary years of MX, and, you've shown remarkable authorship capabilities.

Even just a compilation of those various tales, I, and a fair few others, I think, would buy.

Rob Andrews / Robgvx (here) is about to release his book, and I've been waiting on it eagerly, it should be fantastic! Such a thing by you, would be equally so.

To repeat : Please write / compile and publish your own book of your career in Racing .
GarySemics
12/17/2019 6:31pm
Bearuno wrote:
[b]Gary [/b] - I think I may have suggested this to you before, but, once again: Please Write A Book On Your Racing Career. I'm not...
Gary - I think I may have suggested this to you before, but, once again:

Please Write A Book On Your Racing Career.

I'm not sure if it's just been this site, or, over the years, I've seen various stories about your GP career, by you, on other sites or magazines, but, they all were remarkable tales, told superbly.

Things like your getting that (year old?) RC500, and your racing it, and, I think using it for a Moto win (can't recall if you got an Outright?) at the Canadian GP - with your family going up to see you.

And, well before that, with your racing for Kawasaki etc, in the Nationals. You were there for so much of the revolutionary years of MX, and, you've shown remarkable authorship capabilities.

Even just a compilation of those various tales, I, and a fair few others, I think, would buy.

Rob Andrews / Robgvx (here) is about to release his book, and I've been waiting on it eagerly, it should be fantastic! Such a thing by you, would be equally so.

To repeat : Please write / compile and publish your own book of your career in Racing .
I just might do that some day! If so, it wouldn’t be for the money. Therefore, I better make a lot of money beforehand. 😂
Moto Norcal
12/17/2019 9:34pm
Gary is the man, and he's not mentioned enough when we talk about people that have contributed to moto-history!

Post a reply to: Why Motocross?

The Latest