Why Dungey will own JLaw

bents
Fantasy
909th
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 8:53pm
Oh well-what the f*k. Might as well start with a bang! Long time lurker finally coming out of the closet, so to speak...After everyone finishes with the customary STFU NOOB welcomes, I'd like to hear who actually believes that JLaw will actually finish ahead of Dungey in any of the 17 SX rounds in 2010?

I'm far from a believer in JLaw's renewed focus on his career, but wish him all the best. He did his time and is LUCKY to still have another opportunity to enjoy support at a high level, but I have a hard time believing that a guy who did nothing more than a few push ups in the clink can go out, on literally two weeks of shaky prep, and beat a guy who does nothing but eat, sleep, and prepare to race, day in and day out. This isn't 2008, and a lot has happened since. He is in the big boy class now and there are many other guys who have increased their speed in addition to Dungey. Outside of a couple of flash in the pan performances on the big bike, do people really think he can be a threat week in and week out for 17 weeks? And, to get to the question, will he beat Dungey at one round? If so, how many rounds will he finish ahead of Dungey?

Dungey is locked and loaded. He has trained and learned from the best. He is disciplined and he is fully prepared. JLaw is not. I'm not knocking the guy for that b/c obviously it is impossible to prepare to race at the highest level while in jail.
|
bents
Fantasy
909th
1/1/2010 11:30am
hes still jlaw, anything is possible.
I don't deny his talent. The kid can flat out haul ass. I'm questioning his preparation and lack of riding and training vs Dungey and whether or not he can beat Dungey on his talent alone. Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't work hard-there are a ton of examples of this statement in our sport. I believe JLaw and everyone else is in for a rude surprise in 8 days and going forward. I just can't see him jumping on a 450 and holding on to it at the pace required to stay with Dungey, Villy, Stewart, Reed, Tedesco et al. I think he will be holding on for dear life by lap 10 until he gains a small measure of fitness. The field is deep!
Big Lenny
1/1/2010 11:42am
I don't expect JLaw to get into some kind of groove until mid season...Why push it?...
JB 19
1/1/2010 11:47am
I must be out of the circle, ( like always) but I didn't think Lawrence was riding the first races.

The Shop

RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
1/1/2010 11:47am
But..
When the guy that " did nothing more than a few push ups in the clink", "on literally two weeks of shaky prep", Beats , "a guy who does nothing but eat, sleep, and prepare to race, day in and day out."

What will you have to say then??

1/1/2010 11:52am
he said in his interview he will line up for A1.

Dungey vs. Jlaw is heart vs. talent, we'll see, i think he can get up in the top 5 but not off the bat.
Big Lenny
1/1/2010 11:53am
RonSkj wrote:
But.. When the guy that " did nothing more than a few push ups in the clink", "on literally two weeks of shaky prep", Beats...
But..
When the guy that " did nothing more than a few push ups in the clink", "on literally two weeks of shaky prep", Beats , "a guy who does nothing but eat, sleep, and prepare to race, day in and day out."

"Wasn't straight up"?...Huh
BobbyM
1/1/2010 11:54am
bents wrote:
Oh well-what the f*k. Might as well start with a bang! Long time lurker finally coming out of the closet, so to speak...After everyone finishes with...
Oh well-what the f*k. Might as well start with a bang! Long time lurker finally coming out of the closet, so to speak...After everyone finishes with the customary STFU NOOB welcomes, I'd like to hear who actually believes that JLaw will actually finish ahead of Dungey in any of the 17 SX rounds in 2010?

I'm far from a believer in JLaw's renewed focus on his career, but wish him all the best. He did his time and is LUCKY to still have another opportunity to enjoy support at a high level, but I have a hard time believing that a guy who did nothing more than a few push ups in the clink can go out, on literally two weeks of shaky prep, and beat a guy who does nothing but eat, sleep, and prepare to race, day in and day out. This isn't 2008, and a lot has happened since. He is in the big boy class now and there are many other guys who have increased their speed in addition to Dungey. Outside of a couple of flash in the pan performances on the big bike, do people really think he can be a threat week in and week out for 17 weeks? And, to get to the question, will he beat Dungey at one round? If so, how many rounds will he finish ahead of Dungey?

Dungey is locked and loaded. He has trained and learned from the best. He is disciplined and he is fully prepared. JLaw is not. I'm not knocking the guy for that b/c obviously it is impossible to prepare to race at the highest level while in jail.
dungey is ready, jlaw is trying to get ready. both are awesome but i highly doubt if ryan even glances jlaws way again. jlaw would be cool to bury the hatchet with ryan instead of making dungey more determined. they might find out they have more in common than not
FatBastard
1/1/2010 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:43pm
Jlaw and his talent does not mean anything without hard work to back it up. Dungey is the better person and better rider today tomorrow and 5 yrs from now. Jason needs to look at the schedule for the upcoming season and realize that they are not racing Amateur races anymore.

The kid just does not get it. His interview proved that jail cannot fix stupid.
Uncleof2
1/1/2010 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:43pm
I would have to admit I don't care much for Jason and his antics & attitude over the years,
but he has a gift for riding a dirtbike. In discussions about riders over the past few years
we have all agreed if Jason trained, focused, and had the desire to win he would be scary. If he is serious, he has the potential to podium on any occasion. I think Ryan D.
has all those things in place already so it will take JLAW some time to Catch up.
bents
Fantasy
909th
1/1/2010 12:02pm
RonSkj wrote:
But.. When the guy that " did nothing more than a few push ups in the clink", "on literally two weeks of shaky prep", Beats...
But..

I will bow to his talent on the motorcycle, plain and simple. I won't use a crash or a bad start or any other misfortune of racing as an excuse for Dungey. IMHO he kind of called Dungey out in his interview and all I'm asking is whether or not he can go out and beat someone who is obviously talented as well in addition to being totally prepared, with basically no preparation. I don't know if this was any easier back in the day or in the present day.

I agree with Bobby-JLaw shouldn't worry too much about Dungey. I'm sure his plate is full of worry. Hey, I hope the guy sees the light, but based on his history and that interview, I just don't see it. Not that I hope he doesn't. I hope he does. I'm not hating on the guy.
Yaya
Fantasy
2551st
1/1/2010 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2010 12:09pm
I know Dungey has heart vs Jason and talent but Jason needs to think about what he has. By this I mean, you have just been released from jail and you have people pulling for you, don't go messing up your renewed chance. He needs to stay out of trouble, don't cause issues with Dungey, and just ride the damn dirt bike that you get paid to do.
lucero10x
1/1/2010 12:08pm
I think Jasons comments in his interview show he is somewhat still living in the past. Yes he could always beat Ryan. But guess what? Times change, people change, situations change. I see Ryan finishing ahead of him week in and week out because I don't think Jason even cares to train or prepare for racing at the highest level. I'm not sure it's possible to finish top five, consistently, on talent alone.
BobbyM
1/1/2010 12:14pm
lucero10x wrote:
I think Jasons comments in his interview show he is somewhat still living in the past. Yes he could always beat Ryan. But guess what? Times...
I think Jasons comments in his interview show he is somewhat still living in the past. Yes he could always beat Ryan. But guess what? Times change, people change, situations change. I see Ryan finishing ahead of him week in and week out because I don't think Jason even cares to train or prepare for racing at the highest level. I'm not sure it's possible to finish top five, consistently, on talent alone.
some people like jail..."it ain't no thang". some people despise losing their freedom and they will never go back. which one is jason lawrence is the question
1/1/2010 12:24pm
I think you're right- but the funny thing in mx is a and b do not always lead to c. In other words crazier things have happened. Look at Ron Lechien. Zero training or prep and he would sometimes smoke guys like Jeff Ward who was a training animal. But yeah I expect RD to beat J Law.
pilotdude
1/1/2010 12:43pm
I think it is absolute cosmic justice that the bad boy, shit talking, criminal gets thrown in the slammer while his quiet, hard working, clean cut rival wins the 250 West Supercross title, the 250 Outdoor Nationals title, and leads the underdog U.S. team to victory in the Motocross des Nations, while being named Rider of the Year.

FatBastard
1/1/2010 12:46pm
I think you're right- but the funny thing in mx is a and b do not always lead to c. In other words crazier things have...
I think you're right- but the funny thing in mx is a and b do not always lead to c. In other words crazier things have happened. Look at Ron Lechien. Zero training or prep and he would sometimes smoke guys like Jeff Ward who was a training animal. But yeah I expect RD to beat J Law.
We are not in the 80's anymore. Sad but true. 100% effort is what is required in todays racing to be successful.
Flatliner
1/1/2010 12:48pm
Hard work trumps talent every time.

Also, I'm not sure I'm on this jlaw has more talent thing than dungey.
Cook441
1/1/2010 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2010 12:57pm
bents wrote:
Oh well-what the f*k. Might as well start with a bang! Long time lurker finally coming out of the closet, so to speak...After everyone finishes with...

Ryan Dungey is the Jeff Stanton of this erra less the mean stare IMO- Maybe not the absolute fastest but gets the job done through prep and hard work.
Cook441
1/1/2010 1:03pm
I will say that if Daytona would have been any other track...J-law would have a big bike SX win...he just happened to capitalize on a track with over a minute lap time so he's got that going for him...lol
jeffro503
1/1/2010 1:24pm
Just a side note here : But remember the Ron Lechien days? He didn't train at all and was probably the smoothest and most flawless guy out on the track. When he finally started training , it hampered him and he lost his mojo. J-Law may very well be a rider like that.

There are a few riders out there that actually ride better without training all the time. Seems weird and doesn't work for 99% of them , but there are some like that.
motocross377
1/1/2010 2:32pm
Flatliner wrote:

well please explain what happened west coast 2008 sx.. and when was the last time dungey didnt train and came out and killed laptimes...
Lightning78
1/1/2010 3:44pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Just a side note here : But remember the Ron Lechien days? He didn't train at all and was probably the smoothest and most flawless guy...
Just a side note here : But remember the Ron Lechien days? He didn't train at all and was probably the smoothest and most flawless guy out on the track. When he finally started training , it hampered him and he lost his mojo. J-Law may very well be a rider like that.

There are a few riders out there that actually ride better without training all the time. Seems weird and doesn't work for 99% of them , but there are some like that.
That's 100% correct and I may be the only one on this thread that believes that Jlaw will give Dungey fits all year ...... I also think he is going to do extremely well and make a lot of people eat their words. Going out on a limb here but I think Jlaw will get a win before Dungey does.
mxtryon231
1/1/2010 3:50pm
That's 100% correct and I may be the only one on this thread that believes that Jlaw will give Dungey fits all year ...... I also...
That's 100% correct and I may be the only one on this thread that believes that Jlaw will give Dungey fits all year ...... I also think he is going to do extremely well and make a lot of people eat their words. Going out on a limb here but I think Jlaw will get a win before Dungey does.
I'm out on that limb with you bud..

Jason will be 100% focused on racing for the first time in a lonnnng time.

Can't wait to see him back in action.

burnside
1/1/2010 4:30pm
That's 100% correct and I may be the only one on this thread that believes that Jlaw will give Dungey fits all year ...... I also...
mxtryon231 wrote:
I'm out on that limb with you bud.. Jason will be 100% focused on racing for the first time in a lonnnng time. Can't wait to...
I'm out on that limb with you bud..

Jason will be 100% focused on racing for the first time in a lonnnng time.

Can't wait to see him back in action.

I really want to believe this too. Not sure if I'd put money on it, but would fucking love to see it happen!

Who knows, maybe his mindset with a genuine appreciation for simple things such as freedom(!) and riding dirt bikes could be more healthy than these moto-droids with no life experience. Wishful thinking maybe, but would love to see him pull off something spectacular this season.
BobbyM
1/1/2010 4:34pm
bents wrote:

Cook441 wrote:
Ryan Dungey is the Jeff Stanton of this erra less the mean stare IMO- Maybe not the absolute fastest but gets the job done through prep...
Ryan Dungey is the Jeff Stanton of this erra less the mean stare IMO- Maybe not the absolute fastest but gets the job done through prep and hard work.
dungey is nothing like stanton in terms of talent on a scooter, dungey is a natural.
dcg141
1/1/2010 4:52pm
My prediction of how it will play out. He will get a decent result in one of the first races and convince himself that he has no reason to train because of his superior skills. Besides in his own words in the interview training and working hard is "dorking out". After substituting hanging with his entourage and smoking spliffs for training the inevitable happens and he has a bad race. Maybe does not even make the main. Someone in the pits gets in his grill about what a complete douch he is and of course he has to retaliate. Back to jail for another stint probably less than a year again and most likely a complete suspension from the AMA. My advice...lose all the drama and go ahead and start your freestyle career now.
DL
1/1/2010 5:12pm
20 laps on a 450 with heart rates that his heart has not seen in a long time........ no possible way he'll be able to mantain consistent lap times. He will be fast for a few laps at best IMHO.
Flatliner
1/1/2010 5:15pm
Flatliner wrote:

well please explain what happened west coast 2008 sx.. and when was the last time dungey didnt train and came out and killed laptimes...
over the long haul guys who train beat guys who don't. How many outdoors has jlaw won?

Post a reply to: Why Dungey will own JLaw

The Latest