Why Do The Top Pro's Seem To Hate Roll-Off's?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/1/2017 7:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/1/2017 7:13 AM

I've noticed it all season in both the U.S. National series and the GP's. It's painfully obvious watching the MXdN right now. I don't see a single top rider using them. You almost never do. Ironicly 99.9% of them have had to ditch their goggles after running out of tear-offs.

I find this odd considering how wide the field of vision is with the newest generation of goggles even with roll-offs..how many clean swipes you get, etc.

|

10/1/2017 7:22 AM

Paul333 wrote:

I've noticed it all season in both the U.S. National series and the GP's. It's painfully obvious watching the MXdN right now. I don't see a single top rider using them. You almost never do. Ironicly 99.9% of them have had to ditch their goggles after running out of tear-offs.

I find this odd considering how wide the field of vision is with the newest generation of goggles even with roll-offs..how many clean swipes you get, etc.

I think in this case some guys opted away from them because of the clump-iness of the mud. Easy to jam and break them when it's that sticky and clumpy.

|

10/1/2017 7:29 AM

I have also wondered about this for some time now.

I have used the roll off system from various mfg. for many years now. I use this system in all conditions, dry, dusty and of course, muddy. Currently I use the 100% system. I hate tear offs. I do like 1 tear off over the rolls off in really bad conditions.

I don't know what is up with the pros. I also do not know if all goggle brands have a roll off type system. If they do not I can see a conflict of interest.

Personally I think their missing the boat.

Kind of like asking "why do the pros wear the visor at that upward angle"? It is suppose to be used to duck roost and keep out the sun. I dono... (throws up arms)

|

A big thanks goes out to Donnie at Morgantown Powersports and RJ at Beaver Creek Cycles

10/1/2017 7:36 AM

Not a lot of people know how to set them up.

Meaning so the film doesn't stick to the lens, water doesn't get between film and lense. Etc.

Used to be a art form i figured out when they first hit the scene.

Now with dimpled lenses and the mud flap it is much easier.

|

10/1/2017 7:36 AM

If water gets between the film and the lens, your vision is pooched. At least with tear offs you can rip them off and go to just the lens.

|

10/1/2017 7:49 AM

Febvre used roll offs in that moto
He tossed them pretty early even before Herlings' crash

|

10/1/2017 9:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/1/2017 9:29 AM

They can get roosted and break pretty easy, which is why they exist, to clean away roost. Plus back in the old days you could only stack 4-8 tear offs. Now 20-30

|

10/1/2017 9:33 AM

Whymee wrote:

I have used the roll off system from various mfg. for many years now. I use this system in all conditions, dry, dusty and of course, muddy. Currently I use the 100% system. I hate tear offs. I do like 1 tear off over the rolls off in really bad conditions.

I don't know what is up with the pros. I also do not know if all goggle brands have a roll off type system. If they do not I can see a conflict of interest.

Kind of like asking "why do the pros wear the visor at that upward angle"? It is suppose to be used to duck roost and keep out the sun. I dono... (throws up arms)

I run my visor high so that I have vision when standing up with the head slightly tilted down (looking "up" with my eyes, hope you unerstand what I mean)

|

10/1/2017 9:35 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

Are you sure? I did not see Febvre with Roll-Off's in either Moto.

|

10/1/2017 9:54 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

Paul333 wrote:

Photo

|

10/1/2017 9:59 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

Paul333 wrote:

crusty_xx wrote: Photo

Boom, you were correct. I didn't see the roll-offs.

|

10/1/2017 10:01 AM

They should run an adventure style helmet with tear offs on the shield that can flipped up with regular goggles on underneath.

|

10/1/2017 10:25 AM

I still have a pair or the original Scott roll off system with the light sensor, but its the upgraded one with the button you push.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

10/1/2017 11:04 AM

Way way back in the day i was a smith guy from rich and hook.
I jad a wide assoetment of all the peoducts in late 80s and 90s and jad a few tricks i used that made them almost bulletproof. I never had one fly apart or any of the normal bs thats associated with them. Had stacks and piles of parts to build anything and everything.
I always ran a rain shield, i always taped the canisters and i never had a failure. I always ran the extra life roll off film that was bigger around for more pulls.
It just takes a bit of prep and care and they are fine.

|

Was once there, now old, fat and tired... require much more horsepower now...

10/1/2017 11:43 AM

What goggles did Febvre have on because he chucked his second pair after only 3 or 4 laps after stopping for them and he wasn't really taking much roost at that point

|

10/1/2017 1:49 PM

bartziokas123 wrote:

What goggles did Febvre have on because he chucked his second pair after only 3 or 4 laps after stopping for them and he wasn't really taking much roost at that point

He normally use's Oakley airbrakes but in the above photo to me they don't look like airbrake, perhaps proven ?

|

10/1/2017 2:30 PM

Whymee wrote:

You strike as one of the guys whose visor is touching the face guard.

Rolls offs break too easily from roost. I ran them off-road for a while, as soon as you ate a roost bucket they would turn into a streamer....usually ending up in the rear wheel. I think they are just a risk....tear offs will always work, unless you pull them all at once.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

10/1/2017 2:34 PM

Magnify the pic, Febvre is using Roll-Offs. You see the canisters behind the tear offs. Plus you can see him in the race pulling side-ways instead of forward and across to remove a tear-off.

|

10/1/2017 2:38 PM

hillbilly wrote:

Not a lot of people know how to set them up.

Meaning so the film doesn't stick to the lens, water doesn't get between film and lense. Etc.

Used to be a art form i figured out when they first hit the scene.

Now with dimpled lenses and the mud flap it is much easier.

The dimpled lenses are excellent for wet conditions. Used roll offs at a beach race and even with water streaming down the goggles they didn't stick, very impressed, you soon get used to looking past the dimpled lens. Tried the Oakley roll offs but they were terrible, jammed two mechanism in two rides, they went straight in the bin.

|

10/1/2017 3:15 PM

bartziokas123 wrote:

Rowlands wrote:

He normally use's Oakley airbrakes but in the above photo to me they don't look like airbrake, perhaps proven ?

Maybe ProGrip?

|