Why America Dominates the Des Nations - A Sociological Explanation:

Hank_Thrill
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:53pm

America is without a doubt a dominating force in motocross racing worldwide. We have won 21 of the last 31 Motocross of Nations, which is quite an astonishing feat. However, the question why we are so dominate, is rarely ever asked, and to my knowledge, has never been given any sort of explanation.

Scientific studies support that all humans are practically the same, with no race being superior over another. Now considering that most American racers are in America today, because of their ancestors traveled four-thousand miles across the Atlantic Ocean, the answer to this question cannot be found in the biology of the individual racers themselves, but rather by focusing on environmental, and social factors.

The reason some countries are great at motocross, is not explained by how hard their fans can wave a flags with nationalist zeal, our or how hard these fans can bash their adversaries on internet message boards. Instead, the answers have a lot to do with environmental factors: the economic prosperity of the country, population density, interest of the sport, the size of the country in square miles, number of tracks in the country, and the progression level of the sport in said region of the world (which is correlated and connected, to these factors).

For example, do not expect to see a third world country lacking in motocross resources win the Des Nations anytime soon; and the odds of an over-populated country (such as China), who lacks motocross facilities compared to the United States, pulling off a win at the Des Nations, is also just as highly unlikely.

In the last thirty years, only five nations have won the Motocross Des Nations events (US 21, Great Britain 1, Belgium 6, Italy 2, France 1).

As you can see by this map, America is enormously huge in comparison to its closest rivals, as a whole. France itself is a slightly smaller country than the size of Texas, England is close to the size of Kansas, Italy is closest to the size of New Mexico, and Belgium, who has won the second most races in the past thirty years, is about the size of Maryland (source, Wikipedia). This gives America an enormous advantage by being able to pick riders from a talent pool that is nearly ten times in size of the other four countries who have won in the past thirty years, combined. And this is only one of the contributing factors! Just imagine if individual regions, or riders from individual states, such as California, were only allowed to compete...

As mentioned before, economic wealth of a nation is another factor. As you can see by this map, countries that have won in the past thirty years, are environments were people can afford to race and own dirt bikes. Motocross is an enormously expensive sport, so If people can't afford dirt bikes, how are they expected to become professionals in either the AMA, or MXGP series? And it's not just as simple as a few people in a country being able to afford a dirt bike; the more people are racing in a country, the deeper the talent pool becomes, due to the racers competing, learning, and motivating one another. Most racers thank their parents, because they know without them and their support, they wouldn't have had the opportunity to be on television giving podium speeches.

For more food for thought on this subject: does anyone believe if Ricky Carmichael grew up in third world country, without parents who could afford to buy him a dirtbike, and without a competitive group of racers to compete against, that he would hold 15 AMA titles? It would be interesting to hear his answer, especially considering he contributes a lot of his success with the way he was raised...

In conclusion, any country with a motocross resume like America, in regards to the population, wealth, size, and talent pool (to choose from, due to the aforementioned factors) would be expected to have similar results.

This is not in any way intended to discredit the achievements of the racers as individuals. Every racer who competes in the Des Nations represents the world's elite, of the sport; and any racer who wins such an event, has accomplished a feat indescribable by human words. Maybe instead of continuing the constant bickering, and debasing of the world's greatest athletes in the sport, perhaps we should embrace the Motocross Des Nations as a whole, on a global level, rather than a national level, and recognize it for what it is: the best damn racers on the planet racing dirt bikes from different environments.

|
ATKpilot99
9/27/2010 3:36pm
Ok cool... but I would have been more impressed if you would have presented this in Powerpoint format . Tongue
9/27/2010 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2010 3:46pm
actually hank, if you take away map distortions.....

Europe = 4,010,000 sq2 miles.
USA = 3,790,000 sq2 miles (not north america, USofA)

now, a dose of reality

USA has a population pool of approximately 310,000,000 (give or take 500,000 at any given time)

Europe as a whole has a population pool of 731,000,000 (give or take 500,000 at any given time).

Prolem is, that 731mil is divided up into 50 internationally recognised sovereign states

So, the USA has 310mil to get 3
EU has 731mil divided by 50 or 14,620,000 per country IF you averaged it, to get 3.

Think of it like this.... if there was an MXoUSA and each STATE had to send 3 riders... the larger by population states should statisically always be on top...

Its not as much about money, its not about land size when talking about countries that have an MX community. you have a population pool per country, get 3 of the best. More people = better chance of having 3 top tier.
`ol Ger
9/27/2010 3:44pm
Are you prepared to defend this dissertation in the face of full peer review? Smile

The Shop

KGAspeed
9/27/2010 3:48pm
I 100% agree. A lot of your factors are pretty obvious, but it seems like most people don't think of those elements when saying "USA is better than...."

Given our size plus a large middle class (biggest factor in a strong country), we certainly should be winning year after year. How Belgium, France and Italy (among others) keep cranking out elite MX athletes is very impressive and a mystery to me given their size.

Although if California or Florida were counties themselves, I think we'd still be ok.
jamma10
9/27/2010 3:49pm
actually hank, if you take away map distortions..... Europe = 4,010,000 sq2 miles. USA = 3,790,000 sq2 miles (not north america, USofA) now, a dose of...

now, a dose of reality

USA has a population pool of approximately 310,000,000 (give or take 500,000 at any given time)

Europe as a whole has a population pool of 731,000,000 (give or take 500,000 at any given time).

Prolem is, that 731mil is divided up into 50 internationally recognised sovereign states

EU has 731mil divided by 50 or 14,620,000 per country IF you averaged it, to get 3.

Think of it like this.... if there was an MXoUSA and each STATE had to send 3 riders... the larger by population states should statisically always be on top...

Its not as much about money, its not about land size when talking about countries that have an MX community. you have a population pool per country, get 3 of the best. More people = better chance of having 3 top tier.
Bingo.

Unfortunately that seems to be a tricky theory to understand for some.
9/27/2010 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2010 3:55pm
dont get me wrong, economics plays a part. China has billions of people and is a good example of how one thing isnt absolute. The altering factor is Chinas case is economic prosperity per citizen.... they flat out cant afford to ride or race, so you dont get riders and racers.

Where as GB, Ger, Fr, It, Aus, USA has the economic prosperity to have a developing base of riders that can then develope. I was pointing out the main side though.... sheer statistical numbers when all economics, give or take a small amount, is relatively the same.
WhKnuckle
9/27/2010 3:54pm
Yeah, I posted something similar - but much less impressive - a few months ago. The US has a population that's about the same as Germany, France, England and Italy combined, and an even higher GDP so Americans can participate in expensive sports. Put a team together from those four countries combined, and you'd have a hell of a team. American still might beat 'em, but it'd be real close.
9/27/2010 3:57pm
actually Knuckle, MX is still one of the, if not the, cheapest motorsport you can get into.
Ing
9/27/2010 4:03pm
Some of these numbers don't jive. In Hank_Thrills anology Europe is 1/2 the size of the USA and in Born'ALilSlow stats Europe is bigger than the USA in square miles. Who is right and who is wrong? Cause someone is sure skewed.
WhKnuckle
9/27/2010 4:05pm
actually Knuckle, MX is still one of the, if not the, cheapest motorsport you can get into.
Yes, but ALL motorsports are expensive. There are few societies where the average person can spend $10K/year on a sport just for the fun of it.
Hank_Thrill
9/27/2010 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2010 11:13pm
actually hank, if you take away map distortions..... Europe = 4,010,000 sq2 miles. USA = 3,790,000 sq2 miles (not north america, USofA) now, a dose of...

now, a dose of reality

Good point, and I agree with the population pool per country formula. That is a contributing factor. I don't believe everything I just typed to be ultimate truth.

I'm about to leave, and I probably should have done this before initially posting this thread, but what are the square miles and population density of Belgium, France, England, and Italy. They are the only four countries besides America to win in the past 30 years, and it would be interesting to see how they stack up against America.

I do think wealth and location plays a factor. If people can't afford to race and compete against one another, they are never going to elevate their game through competition. Competition through racing forces others to step it up and progress, vs. if they spent their life practicing by themselves in a field. However, I'm sure all the racers in Europe grow up competing a few times a year in their region of the world, much like Americans get together for the big amateur national events.

People also need to live in places where tracks are available to practice. Take Egypt for example, unless there's a Des Nations race at Southwick, that country (if they even have a team, I'm not sure???) wouldn't have a shot in hell at winning!
MXR
9/27/2010 4:06pm
The best way for a country to beat us at the MXON is to take our our riders during the race or just hope for a lot of bad luck for team USA .

Short was taken out by BT in one moto

Canard went down in the first turn and had a bad start in his other moto .

Dungey went 1-1 just cruising around at 80%

USA still won it .
Hank_Thrill
9/27/2010 4:13pm
Ing wrote:
Some of these numbers don't jive. In Hank_Thrills anology Europe is 1/2 the size of the USA and in Born'ALilSlow stats Europe is bigger than the...
Some of these numbers don't jive. In Hank_Thrills anology Europe is 1/2 the size of the USA and in Born'ALilSlow stats Europe is bigger than the USA in square miles. Who is right and who is wrong? Cause someone is sure skewed.
It could be me, I threw this together pretty quick and I don't think I double checked sources on that.

As far as the other four countries who have won in the past thirty years vs. U.S. state size comparison, I'm sure that's accurate.

"France itself is a slightly smaller country than the size of Texas, England is close to the size of Kansas, Italy is closest to the size of New Mexico, and Belgium, who has won the second most races in the past thirty years, is about the size of Maryland"

9/27/2010 4:13pm
Problem is that each country needs three good riders to make it happen. That is no problem for the USA but it is a little tough for some European countries. If the MXoN's had only required two top riders per country I doubt our record would be as impressive...
iudi2006
Fantasy
229th
9/27/2010 4:14pm
I think this is pretty pointless counting the country as a whole. You would have to count the amount of people who race or are involved with motocross. Because USA can have 310 million but if only 500,000 race motocross and lets hypothetically say another country that isn't as big has 1,000,000 mxers,then all that you said is pointless.
spd721
9/27/2010 4:15pm
It also helps that we are alot more consistent than the other countries.
yamazuki
9/27/2010 4:16pm
America is without a doubt a dominating force in motocross racing worldwide. We have won 21 of the last 31 Motocross of Nations, which is quite...

America is without a doubt a dominating force in motocross racing worldwide. We have won 21 of the last 31 Motocross of Nations, which is quite an astonishing feat. However, the question why we are so dominate, is rarely ever asked, and to my knowledge, has never been given any sort of explanation.

Scientific studies support that all humans are practically the same, with no race being superior over another. Now considering that most American racers are in America today, because of their ancestors traveled four-thousand miles across the Atlantic Ocean, the answer to this question cannot be found in the biology of the individual racers themselves, but rather by focusing on environmental, and social factors.

The reason some countries are great at motocross, is not explained by how hard their fans can wave a flags with nationalist zeal, our or how hard these fans can bash their adversaries on internet message boards. Instead, the answers have a lot to do with environmental factors: the economic prosperity of the country, population density, interest of the sport, the size of the country in square miles, number of tracks in the country, and the progression level of the sport in said region of the world (which is correlated and connected, to these factors).

For example, do not expect to see a third world country lacking in motocross resources win the Des Nations anytime soon; and the odds of an over-populated country (such as China), who lacks motocross facilities compared to the United States, pulling off a win at the Des Nations, is also just as highly unlikely.

In the last thirty years, only five nations have won the Motocross Des Nations events (US 21, Great Britain 1, Belgium 6, Italy 2, France 1).

As you can see by this map, America is enormously huge in comparison to its closest rivals, as a whole. France itself is a slightly smaller country than the size of Texas, England is close to the size of Kansas, Italy is closest to the size of New Mexico, and Belgium, who has won the second most races in the past thirty years, is about the size of Maryland (source, Wikipedia). This gives America an enormous advantage by being able to pick riders from a talent pool that is nearly ten times in size of the other four countries who have won in the past thirty years, combined. And this is only one of the contributing factors! Just imagine if individual regions, or riders from individual states, such as California, were only allowed to compete...

As mentioned before, economic wealth of a nation is another factor. As you can see by this map, countries that have won in the past thirty years, are environments were people can afford to race and own dirt bikes. Motocross is an enormously expensive sport, so If people can't afford dirt bikes, how are they expected to become professionals in either the AMA, or MXGP series? And it's not just as simple as a few people in a country being able to afford a dirt bike; the more people are racing in a country, the deeper the talent pool becomes, due to the racers competing, learning, and motivating one another. Most racers thank their parents, because they know without them and their support, they wouldn't have had the opportunity to be on television giving podium speeches.

For more food for thought on this subject: does anyone believe if Ricky Carmichael grew up in third world country, without parents who could afford to buy him a dirtbike, and without a competitive group of racers to compete against, that he would hold 15 AMA titles? It would be interesting to hear his answer, especially considering he contributes a lot of his success with the way he was raised...

In conclusion, any country with a motocross resume like America, in regards to the population, wealth, size, and talent pool (to choose from, due to the aforementioned factors) would be expected to have similar results.

This is not in any way intended to discredit the achievements of the racers as individuals. Every racer who competes in the Des Nations represents the world's elite, of the sport; and any racer who wins such an event, has accomplished a feat indescribable by human words. Maybe instead of continuing the constant bickering, and debasing of the world's greatest athletes in the sport, perhaps we should embrace the Motocross Des Nations as a whole, on a global level, rather than a national level, and recognize it for what it is: the best damn racers on the planet racing dirt bikes from different environments.

I disagree on a number of points.

As I stated in another post, it takes interest, resources, determination and hard work to produce good motocrossers.

"In conclusion, any country with a motocross resume like America, in regards to the population, wealth, size, and talent pool (to choose from, due to the aforementioned factors) would be expected to have similar results.

America has all those things but it does not do well in Soccer. Why? Because there is no interest or little should I say in the sport. This puts a big hole in your theory. But I do agree you have to have some level of resources and wealth to do well in motocross.

Then there is Ernesto Fonseca, a great talent from a poor country. Again, it was his interest that drove him to where he was before his injury. Despite the economics of the country and resources he overcame.

So while America has the money and resources, if it did not have interest, like soccer, we would not do very well. So it is not automaticly expected that a country with our wealth and resources do well, there has to be a cultural or personal interest in the sport, wealth, opportunity, and resources do not automaticly mean success, it is interest, determination, and hard work that counts for the difference between Europe and USA.
WhKnuckle
9/27/2010 4:18pm
iudi2006 wrote:
I think this is pretty pointless counting the country as a whole. You would have to count the amount of people who race or are involved...
I think this is pretty pointless counting the country as a whole. You would have to count the amount of people who race or are involved with motocross. Because USA can have 310 million but if only 500,000 race motocross and lets hypothetically say another country that isn't as big has 1,000,000 mxers,then all that you said is pointless.
In any sport, the size of the talent pool is a factor in how well that country will do. And there's no way to quantify it, but do you seriously think there are as many motocross riders in France or Germany (or England, Belgium, Italy, Spain...) as there are in America? Individual, smaller countries are at a big disadvantage in a team race against large, rich ones that have lots of people racing every week.
iudi2006
Fantasy
229th
9/27/2010 4:20pm
iudi2006 wrote:
I think this is pretty pointless counting the country as a whole. You would have to count the amount of people who race or are involved...
WhKnuckle wrote:
In any sport, the size of the talent pool is a factor in how well that country will do. And there's no way to quantify it...
In any sport, the size of the talent pool is a factor in how well that country will do. And there's no way to quantify it, but do you seriously think there are as many motocross riders in France or Germany (or England, Belgium, Italy, Spain...) as there are in America? Individual, smaller countries are at a big disadvantage in a team race against large, rich ones that have lots of people racing every week.
Well that's what i was saying,i dont know the exact numbers but i do know a lot more people in Europe know about motocross than here.
WhKnuckle
9/27/2010 4:46pm
iudi2006 wrote:
WhKnuckle wrote:
In any sport, the size of the talent pool is a factor in how well that country will do. And there's no way to quantify it...
iudi2006 wrote:
Well that's what i was saying,i dont know the exact numbers but i do know a lot more people in Europe know about motocross than here.
In Europe total, yeah - but not in individualy countries in Europe, and in a team race where each country picks a team, each country doesn't have the talent pool that the US has. Imagine what kind of team you could pick if you got to choose one team from all the riders in England, France, Germany, Belgium and Italy. That'd be a hell of a team.
Billy Jack
9/27/2010 4:48pm
Why take all 50 states since our riders only accounted for three of them?
mccread
9/27/2010 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2010 4:50pm
Problem is that each country needs three good riders to make it happen. That is no problem for the USA but it is a little tough...
Problem is that each country needs three good riders to make it happen. That is no problem for the USA but it is a little tough for some European countries. If the MXoN's had only required two top riders per country I doubt our record would be as impressive...
Exactly, And that is why the USA win..not because they are superior people or riders to a Cairoli, Pourcel or Roczen but because they are a huge country with a huge no. of motocross riders.. so they have a lot more riders who could be considered world class for a team event, but other countries top riders are equally as good as the US riders in an international indivdiual series... they are all fast.

That is why is it stupid to conclude the USA are better than all of Europe based on the MXDN team results... just as it is stupid to compare AMA to World Championship on the team results..

Europe's top riders as a whole are just as good as the USA riders and Europe produce as many world class riders too... a ryder cup event would show that.. as did the three best Euro riders at the nations having a better points tally than the three best USA riders. but Desalle, Roczen and Cairoli are from different countries so it doesn't count. The three US riders are from different states yet because it is one country they all ride together... that is the difference... between Europe and USA at the nations. One is a country and the other isn't so....

On a country level USA are the best without a doubt. That is why it is easier for them to win the Team world title as opposed to the individual world title. Because individually the top riders are all very close to each other in ability.

If Europe took on the individual US states they would win most of the time too... but would that mean Dungey is inferior to Carioli because his state would lose to Europe.. no.

But the bottom line is still this - it is a nations race... the USA are the best motocross nation and produce some phenomenal riders and a great national motocross championship that can rival GPs... but it is not because USA people are superior to people from other nations.. it's just a bigger country so they have more riders lol
yamazuki
9/27/2010 4:52pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
Then why doesn't America dominate in soccer. It is an equasion. The first number must come from interest. Without interest, wealth and numbers mean nothing. America is wealthy and I tell you if Soccer was bigger than American Football and every american kid wanted to play soccer as much as they want to play football, again then the wealth and numbers mean something.

America in motocross has all the pieces to the puzzle. We do not have those pieces in soccer or we would probably dominate in that sport as well.
iudi2006
Fantasy
229th
9/27/2010 4:59pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
iudi2006 wrote:
WhKnuckle wrote:
In Europe total, yeah - but not in individualy countries in Europe, and in a team race where each country picks a team, each country doesn't...
In Europe total, yeah - but not in individualy countries in Europe, and in a team race where each country picks a team, each country doesn't have the talent pool that the US has. Imagine what kind of team you could pick if you got to choose one team from all the riders in England, France, Germany, Belgium and Italy. That'd be a hell of a team.
Good point but i just feel like if you compare the amount of poeple involved in MX then it won't be SUCH a huge difference in numbers.
yamazuki
9/27/2010 4:59pm
mccread wrote:
Exactly, And that is why the USA win..not because they are superior people or riders to a Cairoli, Pourcel or Roczen but because they are a...
Exactly, And that is why the USA win..not because they are superior people or riders to a Cairoli, Pourcel or Roczen but because they are a huge country with a huge no. of motocross riders.. so they have a lot more riders who could be considered world class for a team event, but other countries top riders are equally as good as the US riders in an international indivdiual series... they are all fast.

That is why is it stupid to conclude the USA are better than all of Europe based on the MXDN team results... just as it is stupid to compare AMA to World Championship on the team results..

Europe's top riders as a whole are just as good as the USA riders and Europe produce as many world class riders too... a ryder cup event would show that.. as did the three best Euro riders at the nations having a better points tally than the three best USA riders. but Desalle, Roczen and Cairoli are from different countries so it doesn't count. The three US riders are from different states yet because it is one country they all ride together... that is the difference... between Europe and USA at the nations. One is a country and the other isn't so....

On a country level USA are the best without a doubt. That is why it is easier for them to win the Team world title as opposed to the individual world title. Because individually the top riders are all very close to each other in ability.

If Europe took on the individual US states they would win most of the time too... but would that mean Dungey is inferior to Carioli because his state would lose to Europe.. no.

But the bottom line is still this - it is a nations race... the USA are the best motocross nation and produce some phenomenal riders and a great national motocross championship that can rival GPs... but it is not because USA people are superior to people from other nations.. it's just a bigger country so they have more riders lol
The MXON again is just a piece in a puzzle. When you see 250 world FIM MX2 champions who have had a number of years and races under thier belt come to America and still fail to get a championship when most of our racers move to the 450 class in 5 years, it paints a picture, and the MXON being won 6 years in a row helps paint the picture that Americans are better at motocross. Sorry, facts are facts. I agree that 1 race, the MXON, cannot paint a complete picture but MXON race after race is a telling sign, then add to it other factors, Americans are better. Sorry, you can't prove me wrong, because the facts do prove a point.
yamazuki
9/27/2010 5:06pm
"On a country level USA are the best without a doubt. That is why it is easier for them to win the Team world title as opposed to the individual world title. Because individually the top riders are all very close to each other in ability. "

Dungey walked away from Cairoli by 5 seconds who is the best and there is debate whether or not Bubba and Villopoto are better than Dungey. Even Short beat Cairoli. When Cairoli went against Villopoto in MXON Cairoli stood no chance of winning, in fact no one did execpt for Carmikel. Sorry, American riders are on a different level than the Euros. You can ask for a world cup all you want and if Bubba, Dungey, and Villopoto beat Cairoli, Roczen and Desalle you would be asking for yet another kind of race. Sorry it is what it is, the MXON is the only thing we have to compare except for other examples of MX2 world champs coming over here and racing our 250 newbies and still not able to get a championship. Americans are better. Sorry. Euros are better at soccer, you won't see an American denying that or asking for another type of competition that would give americians an advantage.
Billy Jack
9/27/2010 5:09pm
OK, let's give up all but three states next year, Washington (RV), Minnesota (Dungey), and Florida (Stewart). Add up those three states and it's not much. I bet U.S.A. still wins.
9/27/2010 5:27pm
Problem is that each country needs three good riders to make it happen. That is no problem for the USA but it is a little tough...
mccread wrote:
Exactly, And that is why the USA win..not because they are superior people or riders to a Cairoli, Pourcel or Roczen but because they are a...

you can crap in one hand and wish in he other McCread... guess which on fills up faster.

in AC's own words, its online on available to all to listen too at PulpMX.com .... his DREAM is American SX.

this is your world champ and his dream is to race HERE. why? because population pool size aside, there is another reason HERE is where the fastest are... our competition is tougher. it is, you wont admit it, it is. The riders know it, the teams know it, even YS knows it.

We can get 3, subjectively top tier guys due to population pool... we also have faster riders due to competition, otherwise, why would the hands down fastest gp rider on the planet right now DREAM of coming here and why dont guys that are UNARGUABLE the best NOT goto Gp's?

end of that discussion

Post a reply to: Why America Dominates the Des Nations - A Sociological Explanation:

The Latest