Who's the most succesful Off Road Racer to convert to MX?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/1/2018 1:58 PM

There are a lot of instances of MX'ers having success in Off Road, but I don't recall any big ones the other way around? Stephan Everts comes to the top along with Mike Brown and Rodney Smith for MX'ers trying off road.

What have you got for offroader's winning on the track?

Here's a cool article by Shan Moore. He just so happens to be an ex MX'er out of Oklahoma who road a Bultaco in the 500cc Supercross series in 1975.
https://www.dirtrider.com/mistakes-mx-pros-made-transitioning-to-off-road

Photo

|

3/1/2018 2:09 PM

Usually the other way around. Mx to off road. But with some guys going back and forth...Brown , Strang , Sipes , Abbott , Dietrich......quite a few.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

3/1/2018 2:14 PM

Id say Ryan Sipes. Pretty sure he went offroad first, then to mx, then back to offroad even better than he was before.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

3/1/2018 2:15 PM

What about Plessinger?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/1/2018 2:16 PM

Plessinger....

|

3/1/2018 2:20 PM

Active? Christophe Charlier

|

3/1/2018 2:27 PM

twotwosix wrote:

Forgot about him. Yep....he can ride the wheels off just about anything.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

3/1/2018 2:27 PM

twotwosix wrote:

Why does everybody keep bringing up Beta? Just kidding. I'm not aware of his background, but he is now on Beta's team, so I guess he went from MX 1st?

It seems to me that there are lots of kids learning in off road these days, and I'm just wondering how many of them ever come over to the dark side successfully.

Plessinger is a good one, but I don't think he was a champion offroad? and he's not one in MX, yet. He may be the best example though.

|

3/1/2018 2:28 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

What about Plessinger?

Yep 100% forgot about plessinger

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

3/1/2018 2:31 PM

This doesn't really count, but it was awesome seeing Colton Haaker participate in Straight Rhythm this year

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

3/1/2018 2:33 PM

KC66 raced a few nationals.

|

Ricky Dietrich had a good run when he ran the outdoors-

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

to go from active pro off-road to pro MX, has to be Dietrich right? He had that fill-in ride with Factory Kawasaki then he was on one of those Yamaha support teams for a year or two - maybe Valli or MotoConcepts when they were on blue.

|

3/1/2018 2:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2018 2:35 PM

Roger Decoster won a gold medal at the ISDE (T) and a National Trials Championship before he won a World MX title. Does that count?

|

3/1/2018 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2018 3:06 PM

Superdave19 wrote:

That's who I was trying to remember. Seems like he cracked the top 10?

How's those memory pills working for ya?
Awesome, I swear by them.
What are they called again?
Hmm, let me ask my wife. Hey what are those flowers with thorns called?
Rose?
That's it.
Rose, what are those memory pills called?

|

3/1/2018 2:43 PM

Dropbear wrote:

Roger Decoster won a gold medal at the ISDE (T) and a National Trials Championship before he won a World MX title. Does that ...more

We could have a winner? linky?

|

3/1/2018 2:50 PM

Dropbear wrote:

Roger Decoster won a gold medal at the ISDE (T) and a National Trials Championship before he won a World MX title. Does that ...more

Johnny Depp wrote:

Don't have a link, just from memory. I am old

|

3/1/2018 2:56 PM

Dropbear wrote:

Johnny Depp wrote:

Dropbear wrote:

Don't have a link, just from memory. I am old

Yep, you're right. I didn't know about that. That would be hard to beat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_De_Coster

De Coster began his professional motocross career with the Czechoslovakian firm ČZ racing in the 500cc class.[1] He was also competent in other forms of off-road motorcycling, winning a Gold Medal in the 1964 International Six Days Trial, and won the 1964 Belgian Observed Trials National Championship.[1] He won the 500cc Belgian National Championship in 1966 and moved up to the Grand Prix World Championship in 1967.[1] He won his first 500cc Grand Prix in 1968.[1]

|

3/1/2018 3:02 PM

It was not me that’s for sure.

|

3/1/2018 3:05 PM

Plessinger has to be the most successful rider to transition from offroad to moto. He won XC2 races in GNCC before he began his professional MX/SX career.

I remember Barry Hawk qualifying for a 250 National at either High Point or Mt Morris in about 2003. In Cycle News, he was quoted as saying it was his very first MX race on a motorcycle.

|

3/1/2018 3:09 PM

Rodney Smith was good enough back in the day to win at both.

|

3/1/2018 3:09 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

This doesn't really count, but it was awesome seeing Colton Haaker participate in Straight Rhythm this year

Colton Haaker has also qualified for an outdoor national on both a 250 and 450.

|

3/1/2018 3:10 PM

Decoster did the ISDT and Trials stuff while also racing scrambles, or whatever it was called before MX existed. That was simply a different time, when people who competed on motorcycles weren’t afraid to try anything and everything.

|

3/1/2018 3:12 PM

Superdave19 wrote:

Johnny Depp wrote:

Awesome, I ...more

Ricky Dietrich qualified for a 250 SX main event all the way back in 2006...

He also raced three outdoor nationals prior to winning his WORCS or Endurocross title. His best finished in outdoors was fifth in 2009 at Freestone while filling in at Factory Kawi...which he replicated two years later at Freestone again but for Valli Yamaha.

|

3/1/2018 4:03 PM

Moto Mofo wrote:

Decoster did the ISDT and Trials stuff while also racing scrambles, or whatever it was called before MX existed. That was ...more

You're definitely right about it being a different time, but I'm not so sure it was that they weren't afraid to try anything and everything, so much as they went where the money was. If a local race paid better, then that's where those guys went.

|

3/1/2018 4:07 PM

Superdave19 wrote:

Johnny Depp wrote:

Awesome, I ...more

ML512 wrote:

Ricky Dietrich qualified for a 250 SX main event all the way back in 2006...

He also raced three outdoor nationals prior to ...more

A couple of good ones, Haaker and Dietrich backgrounds. Thanks

I would expect some GNCC guys to be in the mix, but it doesn't seem that other than Plessinger and Sipes many have come up.

|

3/1/2018 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2018 4:11 PM

Moto Mofo wrote:

Decoster did the ISDT and Trials stuff while also racing scrambles, or whatever it was called before MX existed. That was ...more

Sully wrote:

You're definitely right about it being a different time, but I'm not so sure it was that they weren't afraid to try anything ...more

It's like everything these days in amateurs, specialization. You gotta be on the select "A" team by middle school or you'll never amount to anything

Back in the day we played every sport even as High School seniors. There are still some that do. Now get off my grass.

|

3/1/2018 4:18 PM

Gotta be Plessinger. Kid may be in line for a championship this year.

|

3/1/2018 4:36 PM

I have often wonder the exact opposite. Why don't aging motocross riders convert to a career in off road or other disciplines that an older rider can compete at? Look at Guy Cooper and Mike Brown, they have both had very sucessful careers after motocross. So, who don't more motocrossers do this?

|

3/1/2018 4:40 PM

Up north eh we had Julian Cerny. Raced XC for years tried his hand in cmrc mx nationals....

|