Who's Pointing Out?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/9/2018 1:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 2:33 PM

It is that time of year again to ask: which riders will be forced to move up in 2019?

Now that we are near(ish) the end of the supercross season we should have a good idea of who will have move up in the 2019 season. I understand this may change slightly depending on the remaining races but I am curious which of the top 250 riders will be graduating to the 450 class.

I am asking this as I have no idea - I do not know the rules (especially with the new changes that came into effect last year). Just looking for some quick answers.

|

4/9/2018 1:34 PM

Not Davalos haha

|

4/9/2018 1:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 1:51 PM

Before the season started I believe it was predicted that Savatgy and McElrath would be pointing out. Not sure if that’s still the case.

|

4/9/2018 2:11 PM

Hopefully not many of them...not enough rides up there in 450s

|

4/9/2018 2:15 PM

http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/24/250-words-new-250sx-pointing-out-rules
http://racerxonline.com/2017/04/12/250-words-pointing-out
I'm trying to stay up to date on these rules, but it's still complicated. Does anyone know if Plessinger, Savatgy, and McElrath have to move up? I know the likes of Craig, A-mart, and AC are fine to ride 250's another year.

|

4/9/2018 2:33 PM

Whoever wins the title out of AP, Savatgy and McElrath gets to defend it next year if they wish. The other two must move up. Osborne moves up because he is defending it this year. Not sure about some of the others.

|

4/9/2018 3:40 PM

As of right now following these rules:

a. If a rider wins the 250SX Championship in their fourth season but has not reached the max point threshold in four seasons, that rider will be eligible to defend the 250SX Championship title in the following season.

b. If a rider wins the 250SX Championship in their fourth season but has reached the max point threshold in four seasons, that rider will be ineligible for the 250SX class and therefore not eligible to defend their 250SX Championship title

The Points Threshold:
7 race series= 105 points
8 race series= 120 points
9 race series= 135 points
10 race series= ??? points (but assuming it's 150 points)
There has been no adjustment to the rule book for the change in points awarded. The old points system you had to average a 5th to gain enough points. Now you have to average a 7th to meet the threshold.

Hill and Osborne are bumped out for 2019 because of last years titles.

Savatgy has pointed out whether he wins the title or not (15/16/17/18) Rule b above.

Every one else in the class is still eligible next season.

Plessinger has 3 seasons over the threshold. (16/17/18) He will be eligible to defend the title if he wins. Rule a above.

McElrath has only reached the threshold twice (15/17) He will most likely meet it this year currently he has 146 points. So he still has at least one year of eligibility.

Davalos has reached the threshold 3 times (14/16/17) But he is mathematically incapable of reaching the threshold this season. So he still has at least one year of eligibility.

Cianciarulo has reached the threshold twice (17/18). So he has a minimum of 2 seasons of eligibility.

Jeremy Martin has reached the threshold twice (15/16) and most likely will hit it this season (112). So he still has at least one year of eligibility and possibly 2 if he does not reach 135 points on the East with 3 races remaining.

Other riders that have hit the threshold atleast once. Nichols (16), Craig (16), Smith (17), Ferrandis (17), Decotis (17).

Sexton and Forkner should hit the threshold for the first time this season.

|

4/9/2018 3:40 PM

tprice07 wrote:

Changing the rules seems to have caused a logjam in that many racers will move up at once.

Old dogs will have to be put out to pasture to make room. Just as they moved older riders out of the way 10-15 years ago.

That is life in the jungle.

The smart thing to do would be limiting starts in 250SX and once out of starts one has to move up. 50 starts and you are out. This would create room and rides for up and coming racers.

|

"Thank God my father wasn't rich."
-Hurricane

"You wouldn't take clay to Southwick, so why take sand to Red Bud?"
-DV

"I ride a two-stroke because I am Weigandt-level cheap"
-Me

4/9/2018 4:18 PM

tprice07 wrote:

Somebody’s getting booted out of a Factory ride next year!

|

4/9/2018 6:03 PM

tprice07 wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

No doubt. Tickle and Grant most likely.

|

4/9/2018 6:37 PM

So Hill and Osborne have rides lined up next year. Where does everybody see JS17 going next year if anywhere on a 450.

|

4/9/2018 6:43 PM

I just ask my Magic 8 Ball.

It anyways knows.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

4/9/2018 7:31 PM

KirkChandler wrote:

As of right now following these rules:

a. If a rider wins the 250SX Championship in their fourth season but has not reached ...more

Thank you for the breakdown! I was expecting more riders to be forced up - I am curious where Savatgy will wind up.

|

4/9/2018 7:40 PM

Everyone will move up : Heads

No one will move up : Tails

Do you want to flip the coin or should I?

|

4/9/2018 8:01 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

I just ask my Magic 8 Ball.

It anyways knows.

Has stood the test of time. A perfect silly season companion!

|

4/9/2018 8:57 PM

I dont give a damn as long as Osbourn, davalos, and chisolm start riding the freakin 450 class. They're pullin teets like no other. Milkin it out for some cash is all I can figure.

|

4/9/2018 9:09 PM

tprice07 wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

tprice07 wrote:

Out of curiosity why would Grant and Tickle be the most likely?

|

Long live the King and the G.O.A.T.
The greatest there ever was and the greatest there ever will be.

2009 KTM 200xc
2013 Yahama TTR125

4/9/2018 9:46 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

tprice07 wrote:

King KTM wrote:

Out of curiosity why would Grant and Tickle be the most likely?

Grant is at the tail end of his career, has a wife and kids and retired at one point. I think he came back after his fill-in role at Kawasaki and felt like he had unfinished business, only for everything to settle like it did before he retired. No doubt he can podium any given night, but is it worth racing an entire season for that chance of a podium or two? I think he retires if Kawasaki boots him for a rookie.

I see Tickle staying at Red Bull KTM. I'd imagine KTM is satisfied with Musquin (maybe not) so I would be surprised to see them go after someone like Webb at the end of the season. My bet is that Savatgy ends up on JGR with Hill, with Peick being the third rider. I can also see Bogle ending up at MCR.

|