Whoops what if

Crush
3/26/2019 5:01am
How if any do you think the season has played out different if every track had a decent set of whoops like Seattle did? Not jumpers, a big, long, fuck off whoops section like SX used to have.

I think Kenny has a couple wins, Eli is better, Coop has a couple less, Deano has a couple podiums and Marv is about the same.
|
ga_pike
3/26/2019 5:04am
I'm all for it!

Heck, if these guy want to complain about difficult whoops, then give them a "safer/slower" option... like a series of flat, hard packed S turns.. and let them decide what to do. I'd suggest we wouldn't need the turns after 1 round.
kb228
3/26/2019 5:15am
Should have big whoops like they used to. Theyre professionals. Jumping is for rhythm sections.
ATKpilot99
3/26/2019 6:20am
That's fine but how about going away from the template a little ...how about, gasp , an off camber corner .
Crush
3/26/2019 6:46am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
That's fine but how about going away from the template a little ...how about, gasp , an off camber corner .
I’m not gonna ask for the impossible bro!

The Shop

shuggs
3/26/2019 6:50am
In an ideal world there would be to sets of ‘real’ old school big whoops on different sections of the track. This is SX and they are part of the speciality that us SX.

You could always have a split lane for those that don’t like them, just a wee bit longer??
Crush
3/26/2019 6:57am
shuggs wrote:
In an ideal world there would be to sets of ‘real’ old school big whoops on different sections of the track. This is SX and they...
In an ideal world there would be to sets of ‘real’ old school big whoops on different sections of the track. This is SX and they are part of the speciality that us SX.

You could always have a split lane for those that don’t like them, just a wee bit longer??
There's loads they could be doing with the tracks. Was just interested to hear people's thoughts as to how the current state of tracks may or may not be playing in to some riders hands or disadvantaging others.

I don't think the tracks are near as technical as they used to be overall, but the whoops are a single obstacle that has a distinct impact on each rider's performance.
Tarz483
Fantasy
344th
3/26/2019 7:02am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 7:02am
Anything a little more technical and less cookie cutter,
And im in favor of things that slow them down
CozMan
3/26/2019 7:34am
9 times out of 10, the whoops simply become rollers for these guys. I love seeing the ones that really seperate the pack.

As for rhythm sections (and I know this topic has been beat to death) but there's too MUCH rhythm. When you watch older videos, the sections they built weren't very smooth. Random single jumps. Sections that required the riders to jump a small double in order to jump the next section. Funky on/offs that were difficult. What we have today is literally an exact replica of jump placements/sections that are simply copied/pasted into new configurations. I'm sure the riders like that (because they know what to expect) but it also enables every rider from the Main winner to a guy in the LCQ to hit the exact same rhythms.
Crush
3/26/2019 7:40am
CozMan wrote:
9 times out of 10, the whoops simply become rollers for these guys. I love seeing the ones that really seperate the pack. As for rhythm...
9 times out of 10, the whoops simply become rollers for these guys. I love seeing the ones that really seperate the pack.

As for rhythm sections (and I know this topic has been beat to death) but there's too MUCH rhythm. When you watch older videos, the sections they built weren't very smooth. Random single jumps. Sections that required the riders to jump a small double in order to jump the next section. Funky on/offs that were difficult. What we have today is literally an exact replica of jump placements/sections that are simply copied/pasted into new configurations. I'm sure the riders like that (because they know what to expect) but it also enables every rider from the Main winner to a guy in the LCQ to hit the exact same rhythms.
Yeah no doubt they've become very adept at doing each obstacle and the consistency has helped. It's probably safer on one hand and maybe invites risk-taking/envelope pushing on another.

Bet half the answers are more dirt though, so i'm probably wasting my time posting this regardless.
3/26/2019 8:25am
shuggs wrote:
In an ideal world there would be to sets of ‘real’ old school big whoops on different sections of the track. This is SX and they...

I like this!! Make it the “pussy lane” haha
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
769th
3/26/2019 8:28am
Crush, I fully believe that the results would be different. I see Kenny with some wins, Tomac with more, Coop with less and not as many podiums. It would be more interesting to me. Unfortunately we will never know.
USA
Fantasy
512th
3/26/2019 8:29am
I agree with your assessment. There's nothing that showcases the talent and skill these guys have on an sx track more than watching a guy perfectly skim a badass set of whoops.

It's one of the only places on the track that riders can visibly make up time on each other, and that's what gets me glued to the TV lap after lap. "ooh ooh watch how much faster Reed is in the whoops!!"

Not sure if the whoops really are different sizes now or if it's the bikes or what, but I dont remember ANYONE jumping through the whoops and not losing massive time before the past couple years.

How many other cool obstacles could they put on supercross tracks that slow the riders down? Nobody likes wall rollers (zzz except when once in a blue moon someone rockets off of one). I say fuck all the whoop haters.
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1527th
3/26/2019 8:35am
Coop would be struggling he looks terrible in big whoops. Kenny flies through them and tomac would be a bit better.
dpalmer
3/26/2019 10:34am
Totally agree!
ATHEIST
Fantasy
935th
3/26/2019 11:36am
whoops is what makes s/x ,s/x. u got 450's most powerful bikes ever, greatest suspensions set ups ever. best riders in the world.grow some and send it!!!!!!
Motodave15
3/26/2019 12:59pm
Ok hear me out,

Would it be possible for Sx tracks to regain some interest track design wise, by creating an obstacle that shows up every year. But each round has a different iconic section or jump or turn/start that would be or could be configured differently.

We used to have peristyles at the L.A. coliseum or going up in the stands at pontiac.
comparison to outdoors would be (laroccos leap, texas 12-pack, talledega at glen helen) all of these tracks have 1- iconic feature.

It would be cool to have 17-rounds of SX where each stop would have one iconic feature that could become a mainstay for that round only.

What i mean by this

Anahiem 1- Could always have the whoop section that leads into turning whoops from the 90s
Phx- would always have a elevated off camber, decreasing radius turn - (or a variation of it)
San Diego - dragon back to step on to step up to step on- step off

In a comparison to car racing
F1- has Eau Ridge
(https://www.redbull.com/us-en/f1-toughest-track-ever) - This link is sort of what im getting at, since our tracks obviously are not stationary

Kinda a fun thought line to play with and it would also make each venue Unique and something to look forward to for fans/riders alike. (Besides obvious track designs, and the triple on each side etc)
peelout
3/26/2019 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 1:05pm
watching Factory guys jumping through whoops is like going to your friends 5 year old kid's first Strider race. i mean it's cool they're out there trying their best and you're super proud but you'd rather be doing literally anything else.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
747th
3/26/2019 3:44pm
10-15 feet more runway to allow for one more shift.
Build runway up to peak of first whoop so can’t start by jumping into whoop section. If you want to jump you have to drop into whoop. More difficult to triple through jumping.
3/26/2019 5:19pm
peelout wrote:
watching Factory guys jumping through whoops is like going to your friends 5 year old kid's first Strider race. i mean it's cool they're out there...
watching Factory guys jumping through whoops is like going to your friends 5 year old kid's first Strider race. i mean it's cool they're out there trying their best and you're super proud but you'd rather be doing literally anything else.
???????
Drtbykr
3/26/2019 5:27pm
Whoops are great, amazing how good someone like Brayton is in them than a certain great starter.
Seen it with my eyes. Darn old Moosecan changed the game some.

Those whoops made Seattle as interesting as a gang bang.
zehn
3/26/2019 5:32pm
Drtbykr wrote:
Whoops are great, amazing how good someone like Brayton is in them than a certain great starter. Seen it with my eyes. Darn old Moosecan changed...
Whoops are great, amazing how good someone like Brayton is in them than a certain great starter.
Seen it with my eyes. Darn old Moosecan changed the game some.

Those whoops made Seattle as interesting as a gang bang.
triple crown gangbang or normal gangbang
rjg
3/26/2019 6:23pm
Decotis was horrible in the whoops, I was like wtf he is blowing it in there (Seattle 2019) Only watched highlights tho.
Drtbykr
3/26/2019 6:31pm
3x bang. Triple Crowns are awesome but I can understand why all races aren’t.
SEE ARE125
3/26/2019 6:35pm
shuggs wrote:

I like this!! Make it the “pussy lane” haha
Gives new meaning to “split lane” lol
Jrewing
3/27/2019 2:09am
peelout wrote:
watching Factory guys jumping through whoops is like going to your friends 5 year old kid's first Strider race. i mean it's cool they're out there...
That’s a pretty accurate analogy.

Post a reply to: Whoops what if

The Latest