Whoop Section technique.

Ive watched a lot of videos about how to properly attack the whoop section of a motocross track. Not talking huge monster SX style whoops.

I find i either get tottally bucked and lose control by the 3rd or 4th or i am just cruising through at a very slow pace.

I have heard to bend the knees, squeeze the bikes with the legs and while standing of course keep the weight of your body over the rear a bit more then the front. On a RM250

Im a total mx beginner. just started hitting the tracks this year. Really fricken enjoying it. love vital.

Any technique tips or links of videos to watch. If this is a overly saturated topic with no new info please delete or feel free to belittle me. did a search with not much info on this, I get beat by 10 year olds on 80s so im sure i can handle it hahah Smile

matt from canada!
|
mister2dt
10/15/2018 3:44pm
As soon as you hit them, click up a gear so you have traction instead of wheelspin and keep it pinned until the 2nd to last one, let off and float over the last one
10/15/2018 3:50pm
mister2dt wrote:
As soon as you hit them, click up a gear so you have traction instead of wheelspin and keep it pinned until the 2nd to last...
As soon as you hit them, click up a gear so you have traction instead of wheelspin and keep it pinned until the 2nd to last one, let off and float over the last one
thank you i never had any idea about that. I find a tonne of wheelspin on the 2 stroke and the front end wanting to come up much to high for my comfort. im riding them in 2nd about 80% and it is quite sketcky. Ill try 3rd in the middle of the power.

each time i go to the track i try and improve on one thing even if its a minor minor improvement. once i get technique down ill consider adding speed and jumps etc. cornering better was and just getting used to the bike was my first 4-5 days out. so i notice this section is atrocious right now so im working on it.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
10/15/2018 4:30pm
mister2dt wrote:
As soon as you hit them, click up a gear so you have traction instead of wheelspin and keep it pinned until the 2nd to last...
thank you i never had any idea about that. I find a tonne of wheelspin on the 2 stroke and the front end wanting to come...
thank you i never had any idea about that. I find a tonne of wheelspin on the 2 stroke and the front end wanting to come up much to high for my comfort. im riding them in 2nd about 80% and it is quite sketcky. Ill try 3rd in the middle of the power.

each time i go to the track i try and improve on one thing even if its a minor minor improvement. once i get technique down ill consider adding speed and jumps etc. cornering better was and just getting used to the bike was my first 4-5 days out. so i notice this section is atrocious right now so im working on it.
2nd gear is way to torquey, and likely your problem. Shift to 3rd and possibly even 4th depending on the the whoops. Run one gear higher than you think in whoops. Attack position a bit further back on the bike gripping the bike with your legs but let the bike rock freely underneath you.

Whoops are 80% commitment 20% technique
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
10/15/2018 4:30pm
For large rolling style whoops you want to stay heavy on the throttle, but in a higher gear, stand up, knees bent, bike moving freely below you, your arms are soaking up the hits while you pull up to wheelie over more whoops. I keep my body pretty still, but in an aggressive position. Butt back and out, hips unlocked! A lot of arm action controlling the front of the bike.

The Shop

10/15/2018 4:50pm
disbanded wrote:
For large rolling style whoops you want to stay heavy on the throttle, but in a higher gear, stand up, knees bent, bike moving freely below...
For large rolling style whoops you want to stay heavy on the throttle, but in a higher gear, stand up, knees bent, bike moving freely below you, your arms are soaking up the hits while you pull up to wheelie over more whoops. I keep my body pretty still, but in an aggressive position. Butt back and out, hips unlocked! A lot of arm action controlling the front of the bike.
thank you for this. great explanation. and the poster before you. I find if i go to slow it only makes it way harder. I need to continue to work on them and get enough speed and momentum going so im not getting pounded on each one. I tried Hips locked and that was a very dangerous try as soon as i allowed the legs to soak up some and work on keeping the friend end high i was skipping the tops of the whoops instead of going down to the bottom of the them and getting beat up.
LumpDog841
10/15/2018 5:43pm
Balls of your feet, which is how you should be around the entire track.
murph783
10/15/2018 5:52pm
Whoops are a tough one to figure out. The best way to come into them is basically uncomfortably fast. If you have the proper technique and you’re committed it’ll work itself out, it’s just scary. What everyone has said is pretty much on point, be on the balls of your feet. Ass over the rear fender, hips unlocked so that you can get your chest down over the front. Gives you leverage over both ends of the bike, while still having the weight slightly biased toward the rear to keep it down and digging in to the dirt. Keep your shoulders and arms loose, if things start getting sloppy you want to keep the front end pointed where you want to go and your body counterbalancing what the bike does, so you need to be able to move from there.
10/15/2018 6:49pm
great vid that was well executed holy Sh*t. I see the technique your using and the speed it takes to stay out of the bottom of the rut. this thread has helped me greatly already. now to put it to the test this weekend and try is 50 times in a row and get it sorted out a bit better.
kb228
10/15/2018 6:55pm
Someone insert the gif of tomac at daytona

Post a reply to: Whoop Section technique.

The Latest