Whoa, Hangtown speculation (might not run the race)

Brent
7/29/2021 7:31pm
My guess is a Pala double header would be likely, like the Loretta’s double header last year, except without all the mud.

Logistics would support it.

It’s my local track, but I hope they don’t get three races.
Pulling for Hangtown to make it happen…

Natester551v
7/29/2021 7:46pm
Jardo wrote:
California:
continually dumps billions of gallons of fresh water into the ocean.

Also California:
We have no water!
Bruce372 wrote:
dkurtd wrote:
Go look at real data over the last ten years for Oroville and Folsom and you will see the big swings in capacities. Why the big...
Go look at real data over the last ten years for Oroville and Folsom and you will see the big swings in capacities. Why the big swings, of course because they dump massive amounts out of both lakes to feed the Feather and American rivers which in turn feed the Sacramento River before dumping into the ocean. Once the Sacramento River dries up at the point it discharges into the ocean then I will believe California isn't dumping millions of gallons into the ocean. Until then California Department of Water Resources is responsible for the condition of Oroville and Folsom.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/reservoir_map.html
And the last reservoir built in California was completed in 1979, when I believe the population was in the 23M range (ballpark...not sure what the exact population numbers were). It is now 40M...and no new reservoirs. Funny how people with an agenda just ignore that inconvenient truth. Hell, the environmental nuts have wanted to drain Lake Powell for decades....they struggle with basic math (and science, and physics, etc.) They are evil scumbags.....
Moto520
7/29/2021 8:45pm
Jardo wrote:
California:

Also California:
We have no water!
Bruce372 wrote:
dkurtd wrote:
Go look at real data over the last ten years for Oroville and Folsom and you will see the big swings in capacities. Why the big...
Go look at real data over the last ten years for Oroville and Folsom and you will see the big swings in capacities. Why the big swings, of course because they dump massive amounts out of both lakes to feed the Feather and American rivers which in turn feed the Sacramento River before dumping into the ocean. Once the Sacramento River dries up at the point it discharges into the ocean then I will believe California isn't dumping millions of gallons into the ocean. Until then California Department of Water Resources is responsible for the condition of Oroville and Folsom.

My brain is bleeding…….too smart…….
Yeti831
7/29/2021 8:55pm
crowe660 wrote:
Redbud. We have all the water.
Shit, if they did Southwick or Red Bud again I’d get the ticket ASAP.

The Shop

slipdog
7/29/2021 9:27pm
Looks like they're doing just fine for this weekend...

Bruce372
7/29/2021 10:42pm
Bruce372 wrote:
dkurtd wrote:

And the last reservoir built in California was completed in 1979, when I believe the population was in the 23M range (ballpark...not sure what the exact...
And the last reservoir built in California was completed in 1979, when I believe the population was in the 23M range (ballpark...not sure what the exact population numbers were). It is now 40M...and no new reservoirs. Funny how people with an agenda just ignore that inconvenient truth. Hell, the environmental nuts have wanted to drain Lake Powell for decades....they struggle with basic math (and science, and physics, etc.) They are evil scumbags.....
I was just watching a documentary and it was saying the record low for Oroville was in the 70s?

So where does all this water come from that's potentially being wasted? Serious question, because it never rains lol. I was at a really well watered nor cal track today, but its close to the delta..... presumably the delta gets filled by the run off water?

If that bill Maher clip is legit, it's amazing that only 20% of california water is to residents. Also, would farmers use less water if it wasn't subsidized and still be able to maintain output?
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
7/30/2021 6:08am
Just run 2 mi of irigration pipe from a fire hydrant and fill 12 22k gallon Frac tanks. We had to do that 1 time for...
Just run 2 mi of irigration pipe from a fire hydrant and fill 12 22k gallon Frac tanks. We had to do that 1 time for hhg drilling.
Yea dude totally economical!!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/30/2021 11:00am
Jardo wrote:
California:

Also California:
We have no water!
Bruce372 wrote:
dkurtd wrote:

They dump the water because they are flood control projects primarily and water storage a distant second. There are other issues with fish, but the primary reason at the point of the dams is flood control. They just dumped a ton of money raising Folsom to enhance flood control, not increase storage.

It's different issues past the dams down in the delta. The downstream delta effects likely are why the dump is not diverted to groundwater storage for ag, but it is in no one's interest in the state, including the thieves from Southern California, to have salt water pushing up the Sacramento and down San Joaquin rivers.

The issues with the Colorado river are orders of magnitude greater.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/30/2021 11:07am
And the last reservoir built in California was completed in 1979, when I believe the population was in the 23M range (ballpark...not sure what the exact...
All the water drawn from the Colorado down its course is doing for Lake Powell (and Lake Mead) what the environmentalists couldn't.
7/30/2021 11:15am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2021 11:30am
Jardo wrote:
California:

Also California:
We have no water!
Bruce372 wrote:
dkurtd wrote:

The Sacramento River Delta can't dry up. It is at sea level. And there is no single point in the 1,100 square miles of naturally fertile Delta agricultural, residential, and recreational land at which it "discharges into the Ocean." That geographical point, if it existed, only could be defined by the salinity level based upon the outflow (or lack thereof) of fresh water as the saltwater pushed back through the water table of Delta communities.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/30/2021 11:19am
Bruce372 wrote:
I was just watching a documentary and it was saying the record low for Oroville was in the 70s? So where does all this water come...
I was just watching a documentary and it was saying the record low for Oroville was in the 70s?

So where does all this water come from that's potentially being wasted? Serious question, because it never rains lol. I was at a really well watered nor cal track today, but its close to the delta..... presumably the delta gets filled by the run off water?

If that bill Maher clip is legit, it's amazing that only 20% of california water is to residents. Also, would farmers use less water if it wasn't subsidized and still be able to maintain output?
California has three principal water sources; ground water (the Central Valley has sunk more than 10 feet in some areas from groundwater pumping, and some small towns have had wells run dry when larger farms drill deeper); Colorado and east slope drainage (primarily SoCal); and stored water from snow run off, and to a lesser extent rain run off. The rain run off typically is what gets released up north for flood control to accommodate run off from snow melt, which can come quick and fast in high volumes. That last equation is something that they try to gauge season by season

When California had 20 million people it was easier to deal with season to season fluctuations in snowfall and storage to manage water, not so much with 40 million.
7/30/2021 12:58pm
Bruce372 wrote:
I was just watching a documentary and it was saying the record low for Oroville was in the 70s? So where does all this water come...

California has three principal water sources; ground water (the Central Valley has sunk more than 10 feet in some areas from groundwater pumping, and some small...
California has three principal water sources; ground water (the Central Valley has sunk more than 10 feet in some areas from groundwater pumping, and some small towns have had wells run dry when larger farms drill deeper); Colorado and east slope drainage (primarily SoCal); and stored water from snow run off, and to a lesser extent rain run off. The rain run off typically is what gets released up north for flood control to accommodate run off from snow melt, which can come quick and fast in high volumes. That last equation is something that they try to gauge season by season

When California had 20 million people it was easier to deal with season to season fluctuations in snowfall and storage to manage water, not so much with 40 million.
Subsidence. Been an issue for a while in the SJQ Valley.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/30/2021 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2021 1:20pm
Subsidence. Been an issue for a while in the SJQ Valley. [img]https://prd-wret.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/assets/palladium/production/s3fs-public/styles/side_image/public/SUBSIDENCE_INDUCED_BY_UNDERGROUND_EXTRACTION_clr_fig1.jpg[/img]

Yup, was reading that Corcoran has subsided more than 10 feet in the over the last decade. Which, ironically, creates flood zone issues.
7/31/2021 9:29am
Looks like a pond even when full. The person that named the lakes in the west must be from Minnesota. They count ponds as Lakes too...
Looks like a pond even when full. The person that named the lakes in the west must be from Minnesota. They count ponds as Lakes too. Wisconsin people joking call them mud ducks, lakes are not big enough to bring joy to a duck. Ducks usually fly ovr a MN. Lake and say I,m not even quacking for this one.
Lake Oroville: 3.6M acre/ft
Lake Winnebago (WI's largest interior lake): 3.4M acre/ft
thewrizzle wrote:
Got him
Lake Winnebago never dries up tho. He is the bay of Green Bay, facing north that’s 120 miles of water till peninsula point in Mi. It’s also 10 to 20 miles wide. Pic south is the fox. River 1 of 48 rivers in America that flows north

KurtJ99
Fantasy
671st
8/2/2021 9:52pm
Aaand California SF Bay Area is reinstating indoor mask mandates tomorrow because of Delta variant and unvaccinated. Hangtown track practices finally went from rider limits (50 I think it was) to normal show up and ride. Just had first races this weekend and was awesome. I think since outdoors it’ll go but who knows.
chasetwo79
8/3/2021 11:30am
Brent wrote:
My guess is a Pala double header would be likely, like the Loretta’s double header last year, except without all the mud. Logistics would support it...
My guess is a Pala double header would be likely, like the Loretta’s double header last year, except without all the mud.

Logistics would support it.

It’s my local track, but I hope they don’t get three races.
Pulling for Hangtown to make it happen…

No offense to Pala, but it can’t replace hangtown. GH could, but they won’t and 3 races at Pala is just meh.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
8/3/2021 12:47pm
Subsidence. Been an issue for a while in the SJQ Valley. [img]https://prd-wret.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/assets/palladium/production/s3fs-public/styles/side_image/public/SUBSIDENCE_INDUCED_BY_UNDERGROUND_EXTRACTION_clr_fig1.jpg[/img]

I've seen that picture before, but I don't understand how it works. Did somebody just put up signs on a pole, estimating where the ground level used to be? Or does that pole go deep into the ground, and the ground actually falls below the pole?
byke
8/3/2021 2:20pm
Somebody put signs on a pole to help people visualize the subsidence. Survey tech has obviously changed quite a bit, but all main forms have been pretty darn good for a couple of hundred years, so I'd say the info going back to 1925 is trustworthy enough.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
8/3/2021 2:23pm
byke wrote:
Somebody put signs on a pole to help people visualize the subsidence. Survey tech has obviously changed quite a bit, but all main forms have been...
Somebody put signs on a pole to help people visualize the subsidence. Survey tech has obviously changed quite a bit, but all main forms have been pretty darn good for a couple of hundred years, so I'd say the info going back to 1925 is trustworthy enough.
I'm not doubting it. Just asking what is actually in the photo.
byke
8/3/2021 2:35pm
Didn't think you were, just adding a comment because "how do they know...." comes pretty naturally.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
8/3/2021 3:36pm
Xracer wrote:
God forbid our delicate little flowers have to experience dust, like Hannah, Howerton, Tripes...
HondaFan33 wrote:
You think they are concerned about dust because of the riders? More about TV coverage and making sure sponsors are visible I’d imagine.
water would be a local pollution issue. the local guy Zeb has to contend with this at his Marysville track. It gets really soggy and rutted due to needing to keep dust down. i imagine that this being a state owned park in Sac county he's got more restriction regarding watering.

also cali is starting to lock back up with 'new covid' shit. so it may all be a moot point in a month
prozach
8/3/2021 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2021 7:26pm
Don't worry, they are building 15,000+ new residents in Folsom and Edh about 10 minutes from the track. The existing residents get told to only water on certain days, while new irrigated communities go up everywhere in what was natural oak and grass hills...🤦
8/3/2021 8:27pm
Bruce372 wrote:
dkurtd wrote:

The Sacramento River Delta [u]can't[/u] dry up. It is at sea level. And there is no single point in the 1,100 square miles of naturally fertile...
The Sacramento River Delta can't dry up. It is at sea level. And there is no single point in the 1,100 square miles of naturally fertile Delta agricultural, residential, and recreational land at which it "discharges into the Ocean." That geographical point, if it existed, only could be defined by the salinity level based upon the outflow (or lack thereof) of fresh water as the saltwater pushed back through the water table of Delta communities.
Yeah, exactly. The more water you divert away the further up the delta people are pumping salt water from their wells.
Johnny Depp
8/3/2021 8:51pm
Much f**kery going on in the Cali water scene for centuries. Still is, and those fires, what a coincidence...
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
8/3/2021 9:32pm
Much f**kery going on in the Cali water scene for centuries. Still is, and those fires, what a coincidence...
Brother, people have fought over water forever.
G-man
8/3/2021 10:53pm
Brother, people have fought over water forever.
Yep Chinatown with a young Jack Nickolson is in my top 3 of all time classic movies and there is a LOT of truth in the fight over California water and where it was to be distributed.
bondsmx
8/10/2021 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2021 5:34pm
Anyone got any updated info on this?

I know a few people who had all planned on going, but who would hate to start planning a trip to a race that may not happen….

Obviously the “drought” situation isn’t getting any better lol

huutnanny
8/10/2021 6:42pm
There’s a local race at PC this weekend. I imagine they’ll figure something out for the National if they can make something work for the local races.

Post a reply to: Whoa, Hangtown speculation (might not run the race)

The Latest