Who works in the industry?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/22/2017 1:02 PM

I thought it may be very helpful to people wanting to work in the motorcycle industry to give them some real information. What job do you have, how much do you make, what are your benefits, job duties, how much do you like it, travel, going to races, and how much do you ride on your days off? Also what advice would you give to someone wanting a job in the motorcycle industry?

|

2/22/2017 1:04 PM

Damn you want to SSN as well?

|

2/22/2017 1:30 PM

wfo4ever wrote:

I thought it may be very helpful to people wanting to work in the motorcycle industry to give them some real information. What ...more

Not gonna get too detailed but make decent money, have normal benefits as with any other large company. Love it and going on 18 years. You get to travel and it's fun, but it's still work. Sitting in a hotel ballroom or conf center in San Diego or Des Moines, they tend to start looking the same. Don't ride as much as before but still do. Best advise is make contacts at industry shows and events and working at a high performing dealer is also a good help. Then get a job and be willing to move.

|

2/22/2017 1:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2017 1:41 PM

I'll bite...

GNCC Series Administrator - Basically means I do a little of everything from checking over event tee designs, helping with the yearly Souvenir Yearbook, taking care of staff apparel, writing, proofreading... And thats only in the office. The bulk of what I do is actually at the events where myself and Ryan Echols layout the GNCC race courses (Trail Boss Jeff Russell handles the start/finish areas as well as some of the larger grass track sections), make sure all the track changes get made from the Youth to AM to PM races, give the track description during the riders meeting, tow out broken down riders and occasionally I do get to hop on a bike and ride sweep.

Also help with the High Point, Budds Creek and Ironman Nationals as well as Loretta Lynns and some ATVMX races as well as local events at High Point doing, well, whatever is needed really.

Always some perks of the job such as getting use of a new bike each year for GNCC, and Moose always helps the GNCC Track Crew out with gear.

I enjoy it and cant really picture myself doing anything else. Its pretty fun to go out and layout a race course that you know (mostly) everyone is going to enjoy but it's also much harder than one would think as theres so many little details that have to be kept in mind. I started out working in a dealership, helped out with the Offroad Junkies website back in 2010 and that led me to a gig filming with the TV crew at the GNCCs in late 2010, which evolved into the full-time job it is now. Also worked at Powersport Grafx for about a year and a half while also working at the GNCCs back in 2013/early 2014. Went full-time with Racer Productions/MX Sports in late 2014 and have been here since.

The travel can be fun but for GNCC we literally drive EVERYWHERE. I've only flown about 3 times in my whole life. But you get used to that after a while and it can be pretty fun. A six or seven hour drive to me feels the way a two hour drive feels to a "normal" person. For GNCC, I'm typically gone a whole week. We usually arrive Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, then leave the following Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. After a while, that also only feels like a couple of days.

It doesn't leave me opportunities to ride as much as you'd think but I'm discovering how much fun a dual sport can be and that's my new "thing" for the days off.

Best advice I would give is to just find ways to put your name out there and face-to-face interaction is key as well. It was a little easier for me since the GNCCs are a bit more accessible than other events but I basically got to where I am by putting my name out there online through some various media, as well as positive face-to-face interactions with people at the races.

|

2/22/2017 5:42 PM

Similar to RMT - not going to divulge too much info but I have worked in the action sports / power sports industry for over 15 years. I have worked for a large industry leading brands I have been fortunate enough to attend nearly every SX / MX race at one point or another, test product with pro athletes, attend amazing sales meetings and trade events, etc. Yes - it all becomes work but when I hear my buddies talk about their jobs in other industries it makes me feel grateful for being able to go to work everyday in an industry that i am an enthusiast of. I do not ride MX anymore due to injuries but still ride (Harley) 2-3 days a week. Plus I have made lifelong friendships with people in this industry and could never se myself doing anything else - I love it! Salary wise it's all relative based on your position, cant really comment on that.

|

2/22/2017 5:57 PM

I know 2 young guys in my town that went to "MMI", they are in debt $30,000 for their student loan. One works in a shipping and receiving job at a local dealership for $8.00 per hour and that is only part time, he is also a waiter part time. The other got a job in a parts department at another dealership for $7.50 per hour part time, he quit and is doing the exact same construction job before he went to school. They promised them they would have good jobs in the industry and all they got was screwed.

|

2/22/2017 6:02 PM

wfo4ever wrote:

I know 2 young guys in my town that went to "MMI", they are in debt $30,000 for their student loan. One works in a shipping ...more

Maybe they didn't pass the spark plug installation test.!

|

2/22/2017 6:23 PM

mjr119 wrote:

Damn you want to SSN as well?

Hahahah!

|

2/22/2017 6:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2017 8:25 AM

wfo4ever wrote:

I know 2 young guys in my town that went to "MMI", they are in debt $30,000 for their student loan. One works in a shipping ...more

(Thanks a lot for making me look like a Jack Ass, DPR!!!)

|

2/22/2017 6:37 PM

I'm a dealer..so I'm a mushroom in the industry world.

|

2/22/2017 6:39 PM

Bolt-On wrote:

I'll bite...

GNCC Series Administrator - Basically means I do a little of everything from checking over event tee designs, ...more

For what it's worth man, this was a fantastic little read. I'd love to hear your opinions on the growth of off-road racing in general and what it holds for the future of our sport.

The work y'all put into GNCC is amazing and it shows week in and week out. Someday I'm gonna have to come out and do one and a J-Day!

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

2/22/2017 6:50 PM

slipdog wrote:

Photo
|

2/22/2017 6:56 PM

I work for Slipdog and make a stick figure income. Home every once in a while and lost my family and my savings. Lol just kidding. I work at a race track to be unnamed as a hobby and it pays for my racing but at 60 it don't cost me as much as a younger rider. Get to travel to other races in the States and Europe and had a best friend who I lost that was the voice of SX. Great friends and family. I guess I am lucky for me because my job is my hobby.

|

2/22/2017 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2017 6:59 PM

SeaClassExpert wrote:

For what it's worth man, this was a fantastic little read. I'd love to hear your opinions on the growth of off-road racing in ...more

Thanks a bunch!

The growth has been phenomenal the past few years. Seems like every day I come on here there's another thread about dwindling numbers and someone usually jumps in and mentions off-road. Last year was GNCC's biggest year ever, which is absolutely awesome to see. GNCC has grown from the Blackwater 100, to the 100 Miler Series and then into GNCC as we know it now. With that, it's also gone from pickups and boxvans to full-blown semis, but at the same time there's still plenty of people who show up in a pickup truck and put on a clinic in their respective class... Heck, Chris Bach has been a top GNCC pro since 2010, put together a privateer effort in 2013 and rolled into the Snowshoe GNCC that year with his bike in the back of my old roommate's pickup.

I think it only keeps growing from here. The value is great in that you get 2-3 hours of riding, plus the people are great! Some of the best people I've ever met have been through GNCC and off-road racing in general. Top that off with the fact that you see things at an off-road race that you never see anywhere else, and it's hard not to love it.

Definitely come give on a try! They're a blast and the JDay are awesome too. I've known John Day for a number of years and he actually inspired me to put on a GP event which I've done back home in North Carolina for the past 5 years.

|

2/22/2017 7:03 PM

DPR250R wrote: Photo

Good catch... I rely too much on spell check for my lack of higher education. Sometimes I need a "wrong word dummy" check...

|

2/22/2017 7:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2017 7:33 PM

I worked for Rocky Mountain before it was ktm. Originally was doin the Slaton racing helper scam thing with a buddy and realized how much of a shit show that was so our buddy who was a mechanic at rm at the time hooked us up with a job setting up the canopy and cleaning the rig and shit. I only did west coast my buddy did it all the way through outdoors. It was pretty badass you don't make much money but being at the races and able to do track walk and feel like you're part of it all was a pretty cool thing. If you get the chance to do it, do it. They even brought me out for vegas supercross and put us up at the hard rock and got to party with some rad people in the industry at the circle bar. You build cool relationships out of it and meet some of the coolest people ever. I'm good buddy's with a few dudes in main events cause of it now! Lol That's my rant and my "in" on the industry haha

|

2/22/2017 8:51 PM

I kind of work in the industry somewhat. I do motion graphics for a few Moto companies and have had the pleasure of working on a lot of really cool projects. I mostly work in theatrical motion graphics for movies/tv and don't charge much if anything for Moto stuff. It makes me feel like I can give back to the sport in some way.

|

Ex Pro BMX rider. Lover of all 2 wheeled machines.

1978 XR75
1994 KX250
1997 KX250
2008 CRF450
2004 YZ250

2/22/2017 9:24 PM

I lift pictures of bikes off Vital and then post them on Craigslist. Take Paypal deposits from clients who want to beat the other buyers. You guys have some really nice stuff, keep up the good work.

|

2/22/2017 11:49 PM

Bolt-On wrote:

Thanks a bunch!

The growth has been phenomenal the past few years. Seems like every day I come on here there's another ...more

I have a question for WAY off topic that I hope you can answer for me. I have always wondered why the GNCC series does not come out west. We have a lot of talent out here (shameless plug for local boy Ricky Russell) and some awesome venues for a GNCC. Just one example being Washougal. There is a large off road community out here that is begging for something like this. Thanks if you get around to answering.

|

Go Hawks!

2/23/2017 3:57 AM

I spent 15+ years as a sales rep in the ski/snowboard/moto industry. During that time I represented many of the top brands and worked for one of the big distributors for a bit. Most of that time I was an independent 1099 rep. For one of the brands I had a small draw. It was a great run and a lot of fun. I got to meet a ton of great people and got to hang out with some of the greatest riders and biggest personalities in the sport. I made some great friends at the dealerships that I serviced and got hooked up for everything I needed that I didn't sell. I would bring my bike with me on road trips and would ride with guys after work. I had access to pit passes at any race I wanted to attend and got to ride for free at some of the local tracks that we sponsored.

That was the up side. The downside is that it is still a business when all is said and done. You are as good as your #'s and as an independent, if you don't sell, you don't get paid. I guess it ultimately depends on what you consider what making a living is but IMHO, if you're not doing $1m is sales you're not making much. When your gas, hotels, meals, promo, etc come out of your pocket, the negative side of the ledger begins to add up. Samples are very rarely free as well but hopefully they are sellable or deductible. As a rep for a distributor you have much more to sell and you always have the consumables like oils, tires, etc that you can count. When you work for a moto apparel brand it can be a bit harder since you have to deal with sell through and fight for wall space. you have to rely on the designers to hopefully make a great line. You have to hope it ships on time and you have to make sure you had great sell through in your accounts so your dealer has room and the $ to bring in the new line. I had a territory that was not that heavily moto based and was economically on the low end of the scale. Selling in the high end items was nearly impossible. Couple that with unrealistic sales expectations and at times it could be stressful.

All in all it was a great run. I miss being involved in the moto industry. It was a lot of fun and I am thankful that I got the chance to work in an industry that is my passion. I would tell anyone that has the chance to grab it even if it's just for a short period of time in your life.

|

2/23/2017 6:28 AM

I working in the power sports industry. Worked for a few mx magazines up here in Canada and a large digital publisher that owns motorcycle.com and dirtbikes.com, I currently work for start-up, we invented a new type of offroad vehicle that works year round. Its a ton of fun, you can see a pic below.

Photo

|

2/23/2017 6:30 AM

mx510 wrote:

I have a question for WAY off topic that I hope you can answer for me. I have always wondered why the GNCC series does not ...more

We get that question from time to time. Kind of a variety of reasons really. I'd love to have a race in Washington state. Never been but the photos and videos I've seen make it look amazing and when Maria Forsberg was racing GNCC, she and her husband told me a lot about it and it sounds like a great state for riding.

But, for GNCC, it's almost unphesable for the majority of the amateur racers to make the trip. Our core rider base comes from WV/PA/OH and a lot from NC/SC/GA plus NY too. The majority of amateur racers who do the series for points race all 13 rounds (you are given 4 drops as an amateur though) and a lot of them race, load up, get their trophy, and drive hours and hours home to get to work or their kids to school the next day. A west coast round wouldn't work for most of those folks for that reason.

Plus, it's a long haul for our trucks and equipment as well. Yeah, I realize the Pro Motocross trucks make the same trips but something to consider there is the fact that the series only has 1 truck and everything else is separate. For GNCC we have 2 semis, watertruck/trailer, plus a few other pickup truck/trailer combos. The travel time would be difficult as well since we typically travel back from a GNCC on Monday afternoon and then a few days later we're onto another event of some sort.

It would be a cool race but it would be just about impossible for the majority of our amateur class racers (and even some privateer pro racers!) to make the trip.

|

2/23/2017 6:47 AM

klutch616 wrote:

I working in the power sports industry. Worked for a few mx magazines up here in Canada and a large digital publisher that ...more

i've seen those machines, it should be something for the military. The amount of speed and versatility they have would benefit them a lot. certainly in remote areas or even in the deserts

|

2/23/2017 7:45 AM

klutch616 wrote:

I working in the power sports industry. Worked for a few mx magazines up here in Canada and a large digital publisher that ...more

Moens_Andy wrote:

i've seen those machines, it should be something for the military. The amount of speed and versatility they have would benefit ...more

Funny you say that I've sold some to the Mexican, Isreali and Saudi's military. They use them for patrols.

We have been selling internationally for 2 years and are finally launching in North America this summer, it's been a challenge with the EPA regulations but we finally have our cert and are starting production this April.

I have raced moto my whole life, I don't expect to sell to many to our segment. There has been a lot of interest from Hunting, farming, atv, and the recreational atv market. They are a ton of fun, completely different to anything else available. It's like a stand-up jet ski for land that works in snow, dirt, sand....etc..

|

2/23/2017 7:56 AM

klutch616 wrote:

What are they called ?

|

2/23/2017 8:12 AM

Doesn't everyone on vital work in the industry?

Can we just say...I'm a vital mx contributor? Doesn't that make me an industry member.

Anyhow, I wish I worked in the industry but I'm the furthest from it.

|

2/23/2017 8:23 AM

Worked across the board at ANSR, ProTaper, MSR as a graphic designer - then moved up to senior designer. Great 4 years of my life. Made a nice living in the industry. Recently took an Art Director position at Polaris which is a nice change. Set goals, and you can make anything work.

Dan

|

2/23/2017 8:56 AM

klutch616 wrote:

mach6972 wrote:

What are they called ?

DTV Shredder (Dual Track Vehicle)

|

2/23/2017 9:14 AM

wfo4ever wrote:

slipdog wrote:

DPR250R wrote: Photo

Today's winner of the internet .... DPR250R..

Comedy Gold

|

2/23/2017 9:21 AM

dcg141 wrote:

I'm a dealer..so I'm a mushroom in the industry world.

Does that mean you get shit on?

|