Who was the one person you raced with ...

KMC440
That for one reason or another just was damn near impossible to beat?

Mine ... my friend Mike Dorman... sum-bitch is a great buddy but damnit all he had my number in +40 for better part of 6 years. I had his ass one day ! I was on fire !!! ... and made an "assisted" mistake one corner from the finish I went down and popped an acl ... never beat Mike. Sum-bitch.
|
Rooster
5/9/2018 3:56pm
Me and my buddy Sean had a weird thing when we were racing together. It didn't matter if one of us got the holeshot and the other got stuck in the gate we'd always cross the finish line within 25 feet of each other. Some times I beat him, other times he'd beat me, but it was always close.

The Shop

Alvear999
5/9/2018 5:55pm
Stroupe. Never was able to beat him straight up. If he didnt win, he was on the ground. He was insanely fast growing up. Josh hill, Izzi, Bowers, and others i was able to beat at one time or another but never stroupe. I really wish he would have showed how high his talent was but we all know how things played out.
BobbyM
5/9/2018 6:00pm
KMC440 wrote:
That for one reason or another just was damn near impossible to beat? Mine ... my friend Mike Dorman... sum-bitch is a great buddy but damnit...
That for one reason or another just was damn near impossible to beat?

Mine ... my friend Mike Dorman... sum-bitch is a great buddy but damnit all he had my number in +40 for better part of 6 years. I had his ass one day ! I was on fire !!! ... and made an "assisted" mistake one corner from the finish I went down and popped an acl ... never beat Mike. Sum-bitch.
Danny Chandler, beat him plenty cuz he crashed. Head to head maybe a handful but straight up it was very hard to pass danny. No matter how long you left it on he wouldn't shut off until he heard you shut-off
dimetime
5/9/2018 6:19pm
Doug Dubach

We both started the season in 125 begginer at OCIR night races.

By the end on the season l was novice and he was pro.

And so it goes.
5/9/2018 6:31pm
Brian Stone was a sneaky smooth son of a gun. I beat him a few times and it was huge when I did.

Also, the Gulley twins have been a thorn in my side for as long as I remember. Endless years of battles from 60’s on up now inches away from +30.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/9/2018 6:58pm
dimetime wrote:
Doug Dubach We both started the season in 125 begginer at OCIR night races. By the end on the season l was novice and he was...
Doug Dubach

And so it goes.
Isn’t it amazing how some riders went from novice to pro in one year. I raced against Doug in the Intermediate class (I say raced...should have said we were in the same race)
On his way to Pro he was so far in front of me it was ridiculous
hillbilly
5/9/2018 8:20pm
Ron ",wirehead" jones.

Muddy creek in the early 80,s was not ama. You just had to see him ride,barrel chested ox of a guy.

He ran away from Hannah at the sand track the Carolina spring series used,can't think of the name right now. No pros would come to muddy creek because of him. If he got a bad start he'd run over everybody just for fun. I beat him one day straight up me on 85 ktm 500,,him on cr 500. Scared like hell thinking he was right on me I kept it pinned and won with a good gap. Only time.

His brother was a dirty rider like you just don't see .hated that guy.

Good times.
jnickell
Fantasy
1738th
5/9/2018 8:58pm
I could hardly ever beat jnickell. That guy took me out so many times. If it weren't for him, I may have had a chance to go intermediate.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
5/9/2018 9:01pm
Colin Edwards. Lost a National championship to him by 3 inches...... Chased that Texan for years, got him in a couple of motos, but never as on overall. Cool kid growing up, his Dad was always fun to be around at the nationals
swtwtwtw
5/9/2018 9:06pm
Pete Snorteland at Saddleback in the late ‘70s
moscrop940
5/9/2018 9:23pm
dimetime wrote:
Doug Dubach We both started the season in 125 begginer at OCIR night races. By the end on the season l was novice and he was...
Doug Dubach

And so it goes.
KennyT wrote:
Isn’t it amazing how some riders went from novice to pro in one year. I raced against Doug in the Intermediate class (I say raced...should have...
Isn’t it amazing how some riders went from novice to pro in one year. I raced against Doug in the Intermediate class (I say raced...should have said we were in the same race)
My dad was the same way (from what I’ve been told by him and others)

Won novice, got absolutely waxed for 3 months in intermediate, then went pro and was running up front within the year.

My dad said his dad pulled him to the side after his last intermediate race and basically said “ you’re already getting last, why not go up a class and try to keep up with the pros, instead of improving in intermiediate and having to do this all over again in pros”

Weird logic, but it worked for him
ledger
5/9/2018 9:57pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 10:22pm
Not much of a racing career cause I was always broke, but my highlight was holding off Billy Liles for a minute or two back in 81. Early teen's I had some epic battles with 6-8 guys at our neighborhood track and swapped wins with my friend Keith Riggle. BTW Keith.... This is Big Al, and would love to hear from you if you're out there, it's been 42 year's and I can still kick your ass.... I think.
RB624
5/9/2018 10:26pm
dimetime wrote:
Doug Dubach

And so it goes.
KennyT wrote:
Isn’t it amazing how some riders went from novice to pro in one year. I raced against Doug in the Intermediate class (I say raced...should have...
moscrop940 wrote:
My dad was the same way (from what I’ve been told by him and others) Won novice, got absolutely waxed for 3 months in intermediate, then...
My dad was the same way (from what I’ve been told by him and others)

Won novice, got absolutely waxed for 3 months in intermediate, then went pro and was running up front within the year.

My dad said his dad pulled him to the side after his last intermediate race and basically said “ you’re already getting last, why not go up a class and try to keep up with the pros, instead of improving in intermiediate and having to do this all over again in pros”

Weird logic, but it worked for him
Haha saw it first hand. Your pops and I had some good races.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
5/10/2018 3:56am
Ken Roczen Pinch
Not only impossible to beat. Impossible to stay on the same lap...
Flip109
5/10/2018 5:13am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 5:13am
motoxxx599 wrote:
Travis Elliot
The terminator! Man I loved watching him ride the wheels off his team green 80’s at Whitney and mosier. I was just watching from the fences in the beginner class those days. Whatever happened to him?
Roostermx58
5/10/2018 5:22am
Zach Osborne - He would often come out to hare scrambles and Virginia cross country races.
Matt Wozney
5/10/2018 5:27am
Ryan Mills when I started racing in D34 / Southern NY. So fast. Then that Barcia kid not long after that.
david225
5/10/2018 5:47am
Ryan Mills when I started racing in D34 / Southern NY. So fast. Then that Barcia kid not long after that.
Tell us your best Ryan Mills story, Woz. I've always enjoyed hearing about him when Phil and Matthes talked about him in the podcasts.They said he was stupid fast and Filthy thought he was the next great thing.
5/10/2018 6:15am
Matt pastor. I use to race/ride with him all the time. Never once beat him in a moto. Finished about 3 seconds behind him the last moto we raced together. These days I normally take a digger trying to ride his pace in the desert
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
5/10/2018 6:24am
Cody Chisholm for me. Cody seemed to pull an Anderson every moto and pass me on the last lap. Good thing we are good buddies or I would have had to put him in the cheap seats at some point over the years.
mx317
5/10/2018 6:59am
hillbilly wrote:
Ron ",wirehead" jones. Muddy creek in the early 80,s was not ama. You just had to see him ride,barrel chested ox of a guy. He ran...
Ron ",wirehead" jones.

Muddy creek in the early 80,s was not ama. You just had to see him ride,barrel chested ox of a guy.

He ran away from Hannah at the sand track the Carolina spring series used,can't think of the name right now. No pros would come to muddy creek because of him. If he got a bad start he'd run over everybody just for fun. I beat him one day straight up me on 85 ktm 500,,him on cr 500. Scared like hell thinking he was right on me I kept it pinned and won with a good gap. Only time.

His brother was a dirty rider like you just don't see .hated that guy.

Good times.
Yep, Ron was a tough muther for sure! I had one exceptional moto one time where I passed Eddie Branch for second and pulled up on Ron, but never beat him, ever. Was that sand track Montrose in Raeford NC? Kerry was a dirty rider for sure. A friend of mine (Mark Guy) passed him fair and square one day and he ghosted his bike into him in the pits taking out a PW50 rider going to the line also.
Stuntman949
5/10/2018 7:06am
Matt pastor. I use to race/ride with him all the time. Never once beat him in a moto. Finished about 3 seconds behind him the last...
Matt pastor. I use to race/ride with him all the time. Never once beat him in a moto. Finished about 3 seconds behind him the last moto we raced together. These days I normally take a digger trying to ride his pace in the desert
He busted out his "new" YZ this weekend. Still rips. #N1 for a reason
5/10/2018 7:11am
Matt pastor. I use to race/ride with him all the time. Never once beat him in a moto. Finished about 3 seconds behind him the last...
He busted out his "new" YZ this weekend. Still rips. #N1 for a reason
Yeah he keeps begging me to come check the new bike out. Literally live 3 minutes from him and talk to him everyday, but haven't seen the bike yet lol. Looks awesome in pics

Post a reply to: Who was the one person you raced with ...

The Latest