Who was the best minicycle rider of all time?

Kyle978
7/11/2014 9:12pm
I'll give a vote to Justin Buckelew
hammertime
7/12/2014 7:30am Edited Date/Time 7/12/2014 7:31am
in the northwest, even the pro's would line the fences to see jason mccormick and ryan huffman go at it. those dudes were just amazing.

rick simmet won the world mini against some fast guys...one of which was jason schultz. whatever happened to that kid? he was gone as fast as he came.
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
7/13/2014 7:48pm
Whole lot of fast kids on minis. I remember Troy Blake was awesome to watch and extremely fast
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/13/2014 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2014 8:01pm
AC certainly is worthy of consideration. I would say that there were years where it seemed the classes were deeper though. 87-88 ish class would have Emig, Bradshaw, Gaddis, Antunez, Pederson, Goodman, Kalos, Swink, Thompson etc., all on the same line!

The Shop

Jdawggg
7/13/2014 8:37pm
Shaun Kalos
Lowell Thompson
Kyle Lewis
oshow
7/13/2014 8:45pm
Sully22 wrote:
DMC made Ezra Lusk some sweet bikes...he had a 60 that I used to drool over. The front disk was awesome. Not sure if this is...
DMC made Ezra Lusk some sweet bikes...he had a 60 that I used to drool over. The front disk was awesome. Not sure if this is it.....

I still have some DMC, R & D, and Barr's Competition stickers from back in the 80's. If anyone is doing a rebuild and wants some, let me know.

Yes they did! He made it faster with his right wrist as well.
oshow
7/13/2014 8:49pm
AZ35 wrote:
Eddie Hicks was pretty dominant for a while against a stacked field. Agree on the Bruce Bunch comments, 80's motocross records would look a lot different...
Eddie Hicks was pretty dominant for a while against a stacked field.

Agree on the Bruce Bunch comments, 80's motocross records would look a lot different if not for that tragedy.

Larry Brooks has not been mentioned that I saw, he was pretty bad ass too.

The early 80's were deep with talent in the mini classes, go back and look at the Golden State series Cycle News results and it was like a mini-national at each race.

I guess it all depends on what era you grew up watching, every generation has its own icons.
RMT wrote:
Your last sentence nailed it. I would say Paul Dennis and Danny Storbeck because they won LL the year I was there. For the guy that...
Your last sentence nailed it. I would say Paul Dennis and Danny Storbeck because they won LL the year I was there.

For the guy that was fast but never made it, I want to be the first to nominate Billy Fosnock for that one. Racer X could do a good story about his life and how things ended up but it would not have a happy ending.
Saw Billy at LL in 89 I believe, come from nowhere and smoke everyone.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
7/13/2014 9:12pm
Erik Kehoe, George Holland and the fastes 80 rider I've ever seen, the late great Bruce Bunch.
wb173
7/14/2014 4:27am
hammertime wrote:
in the northwest, even the pro's would line the fences to see jason mccormick and ryan huffman go at it. those dudes were just amazing. rick...
in the northwest, even the pro's would line the fences to see jason mccormick and ryan huffman go at it. those dudes were just amazing.

rick simmet won the world mini against some fast guys...one of which was jason schultz. whatever happened to that kid? he was gone as fast as he came.
If you are commenting on Shultz' whereabouts... Still lives North of Dallas. I grew up racing with him, Jason Langford, Jack Ricks, Jeff Dement, Grayson Goodman and Tim Hodes and other fast riders from Texas. Shultz had neck and head injuries which ended his MX career but, he got into jet skiing with Terry Tinney and Carroll Richardson. I do believe he eventually got into golf and played some mini-tours. Talented dude no matter what he was doing. Great family too!

wb173
Paw Paw 271
7/14/2014 5:21am
hammertime wrote:
in the northwest, even the pro's would line the fences to see jason mccormick and ryan huffman go at it. those dudes were just amazing. rick...

wb173 wrote:
If you are commenting on Shultz' whereabouts... Still lives North of Dallas. I grew up racing with him, Jason Langford, Jack Ricks, Jeff Dement, Grayson Goodman...
If you are commenting on Shultz' whereabouts... Still lives North of Dallas. I grew up racing with him, Jason Langford, Jack Ricks, Jeff Dement, Grayson Goodman and Tim Hodes and other fast riders from Texas. Shultz had neck and head injuries which ended his MX career but, he got into jet skiing with Terry Tinney and Carroll Richardson. I do believe he eventually got into golf and played some mini-tours. Talented dude no matter what he was doing. Great family too!

wb173
You are right! Those were the fastest guy of the day in our area, but I would also like to add Jason Edwards to your list.
turbotime
7/14/2014 5:40am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2014 5:40am
JS259 was ridiculous on an 80.

Not sure how anyone could consider RV. Alessi always beat him.
Mouse153
7/14/2014 7:01am
He may not have been the best but Mouse McCoy was my favorite mini bike rider growing up. I'm not going to lie since I had the same nickname I might have told a few of the 5th grade girls that was me in the MXA ad.
Panic_Rev
7/14/2014 7:06am
Mouse153 wrote:
He may not have been the best but Mouse McCoy was my favorite mini bike rider growing up. I'm not going to lie since I had...
He may not have been the best but Mouse McCoy was my favorite mini bike rider growing up. I'm not going to lie since I had the same nickname I might have told a few of the 5th grade girls that was me in the MXA ad.
I hope you were also in the 5th grade. j/k
Mouse153
7/14/2014 7:19am
Mouse153 wrote:
He may not have been the best but Mouse McCoy was my favorite mini bike rider growing up. I'm not going to lie since I had...
Panic_Rev wrote:
I hope you were also in the 5th grade. j/k
Ha! I was probably in third but I've always had a thing for older women.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
7/14/2014 7:23am
I saw Bradshaw destroy the 80 support class at HiPoint back in the day.
dr516
7/14/2014 8:22am
Depends on if they have already graduated. Jett Reynolds is breaking all records, he's only on 65's and won more titles than anyone by a country...
Depends on if they have already graduated. Jett Reynolds is breaking all records, he's only on 65's and won more titles than anyone by a country mile (yes I understand there are more titles to win now), he also took down DM18's Loretta record as the only one to win both 50 7-8 and 65 7-9, Jett did it winning all moto's DM did not. The kid is the real deal and he looks amazing on an 85.

Past, my vote is BudMan

Near present, my vote is AC
Need to come up to DT-1 cycle park some time any given weekend 79,199,954,211,51,325,21,122,10 its like a mini national great times
motomike137
7/14/2014 8:43am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 5:18pm
Bradshaw & Swink for me. I can't comment on guys I never saw ride a minicycle and I am sure others have their favorites. I only saw Bradshaw once but that was enough, it was at Hi Point in the 80 support class as another poster mentioned and he was jumping the uphill double behind the start on his 80 and that was pretty much a pro only manuever back then I think. I saw Swink frequently race in D14 (MI) and more specifically at Baja. Swink was so friggin fast at Baja it is hard to describe but if at any time you lost track of him all you had to do was look for a giant plume of sand flying into the air in a corner and that would be Brian. He roosted and railed around the place with gusto!
trailhopper
7/23/2014 2:42pm
Depends on if they have already graduated. Jett Reynolds is breaking all records, he's only on 65's and won more titles than anyone by a country...
Depends on if they have already graduated. Jett Reynolds is breaking all records, he's only on 65's and won more titles than anyone by a country mile (yes I understand there are more titles to win now), he also took down DM18's Loretta record as the only one to win both 50 7-8 and 65 7-9, Jett did it winning all moto's DM did not. The kid is the real deal and he looks amazing on an 85.

Past, my vote is BudMan

Near present, my vote is AC
IceMan446 wrote:
How many has he won?
I want to say it's like 70 titles and that's not from Chicken licks raceway, all AM National titles.
He's not all that good I guess. At Ponca 2014 in the 65 7-11 class, with only 14 riders, he hasn't even won a moto. Got passed straight up in the 2nd moto by Varize and the kid had him covered. Jett fuel running low. Cool
dr516
7/23/2014 3:53pm
Would not lower the octane just yet in the 7/11 class any one of those kids with a good start can rip. Look at his age class jett is still an ama 9 year old. he one the first moto at the comp edge regional with more competition.
deadking
Fantasy
491st
4/10/2015 4:54am
rosebud441 wrote:
That was a AWESOME video.
That was a AWESOME video.
FLmxer wrote:
I watched that every day all day during my childhood. Loved it.
c'mon.....how to put words on this? ..........One of the best televised 80 races ever!! I was there watching.
4/10/2015 5:07am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 5:08am
Based on my screen name which the late 70s mini fans will recognize - George Holland (from modified xr75s to Suzuki's star) and also Erik Earthquake Kehoe (Yamaha!!!)
FIREfish148
4/10/2015 5:20am
I feel lucky to have seen RV grow up racing 80s around here. The kid seemed to have absolutely no fear. I always heard stories about James Stewarts dominance growing up though. Also gotta throw in alessi of course.

FIREfish148
4/10/2015 5:27am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2015 5:41am
turbotime wrote:
JS259 was ridiculous on an 80.

Not sure how anyone could consider RV. Alessi always beat him.
If you're looking at the highest level of speed/skill that they got to before moving up it was close. Alessi did beat RV most of the time while on 80s though obviously.
DMG
4/10/2015 9:18am
I agee with the statement that it depends on the era. But, IMHO, the best era of minicycle racing was 77-82, you had so many fast guys during that time frame that went on to factory rides and championships.

77-82 saw Ward, Burnworth, Myerscough, Holley, Mike Brown, AJ Whiting, RJ, Lechien, Kehoe, Holland, the fastest 80 rider ever, Bruce Bunch, Ricky Hemme Paul Denis

A lot of those guys had factory rides and many won titles, and if it wasnt for sickness and death, there would be a lot more titles among that group. No other 5 year span in history had so many future greats, and it was great witnessing all of them race.
Wandell
4/10/2015 10:05am
I agree DMG, that was a great era. There have also been some dominate guys recently too. RC and Stewart were amazing. Also Alessi was pretty dominate on minis, but his rivals RV and Millsaps have had more success as pros.
BobbyM
4/10/2015 10:50am
CamP wrote:
Brian Myerscough
No doubt and wardy too.
Holigan
4/10/2015 11:31am
hammertime wrote:

wb173 wrote:
If you are commenting on Shultz' whereabouts... Still lives North of Dallas. I grew up racing with him, Jason Langford, Jack Ricks, Jeff Dement, Grayson Goodman...

wb173
Jason wins minicycle rider with the best looking twin sisters of all time. His sisters were stunning.
4/10/2015 11:33am
philG wrote:
Was lucky enough to see Paul Denis ride here in the UK , alomg with Larry Ward... Denis was run hard by Mark Banks, and while...
Was lucky enough to see Paul Denis ride here in the UK , alomg with Larry Ward... Denis was run hard by Mark Banks, and while he won , he didnt have it all his own way.... Ward was on an 80 Suzuki and he just killed it , nobody rode like that back then.
That would have been the Schoolboy International at Trentham Gardens , forget the year , but 83 ish ??

I rode in the seniors at that event and the class was won by another American , Dick Bellora , who was given a pre production bike by Uncle Alec , as the rumour was that he was faster than Paul Denis ?

If I remember rightly Phill , all the US boys rode Kawasaki , including Ward , at that event supplied by Alec ?
LappedU
4/10/2015 12:11pm
I've seen a lot of the greats at one time or another on 80's but for me none were faster than Erik Kehoe and George Holland.
I agree Dan, we both know how dominant those guys were in there time, then the battles they had week in week out!

Post a reply to: Who was the best minicycle rider of all time?

The Latest