Who services your shock?

FIREfish148
I need my shock rebuilt and don't have the nitrogen or time to do it. who here has used pro circuit and race tech? I'm having a hard time choosing between the two.
|
captmoto
8/10/2019 11:32pm
I use Race Tech. Isn't there anyone near you that does suspension service? With a little training and proper tools it should be easy for almost any shop.
FIREfish148
8/11/2019 12:07am
captmoto wrote:
I use Race Tech. Isn't there anyone near you that does suspension service? With a little training and proper tools it should be easy for almost...
I use Race Tech. Isn't there anyone near you that does suspension service? With a little training and proper tools it should be easy for almost any shop.
yea there are a couple that have survived but i'm just wanting to try out the premier stuff i guess.

snackfedbear
8/11/2019 4:04am
When it comes down to it, your local shop can do just as good if they are competent and fully aware of your ability and what you want. I had to pay twice for settings at pro circuit when I paid once at Noleen(Local). Pro circuit is fluff imo

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/11/2019 4:46am
I believe Race Tech offers a Vital discount as well, and they likely have an authorized center near your location.
TexasVet
8/11/2019 4:53am
I do! Invest in whatever special tools and even a small nitrogen set up and you will be money ahead in the end. Way

ahead. Even service your shock more often like the factories. I don't know your abilities but I'd bet you don't come close

to using your shock to its full potential(most riders don't). So forget about valving and all that stuff. Invest some time in

instructional videos(I am a licensed aircraft mechanic). Extremely helpful(these videos) .

Caveat: if you don't know the business end of a hammer or don't know what a box end wrench is....pay away.

Caveat: Be careful. Shop accidents are almost 100% preventable. I realize people will say that this is too complicated

and potentially fatal(it is, just like riding your bike). Watch a few videos from say Rocky Mtn. Mc. You will see it's

pretty simple in concept and scope. Your whole bike is. The more you work on it, the more you'll understand it. Buy a

shop manual. You should have one from day one anyway. This applies to forks also. Fix your own blown seals. No

waiting or shipping. Save time and money! You might even wonder why you are paying these guys $80-$100 per hr.
Mr. Afterbar
8/11/2019 5:26am
I do all my bike work also. A few small tools and a shop manual is all you need to do it yourself. Watch some YouTube videos to familiarize yourself. I know the OP says he doesn’t have the time, but I’d encourage everyone that can find time to try doing this stuff for yourself. It’s not insanely difficult. I rebuild the shock then take it to a local shop and they fill the nitrogen for me, no charge. I always buy something when I’m there to support them.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
8/11/2019 5:38am
I don't have time = Im not willing to use my time to learn. How about you change your oil in your shock buddy, you can do it.

8/11/2019 5:43am
It doesn’t take much more time to do it than what it takes to box it up and ship it.

A bit longer the first time and you have to source the parts and tools, but it’s worth it long term.
TexasVet
8/11/2019 6:01am
Sheriff245 wrote:
It doesn’t take much more time to do it than what it takes to box it up and ship it. A bit longer the first time...
It doesn’t take much more time to do it than what it takes to box it up and ship it.

A bit longer the first time and you have to source the parts and tools, but it’s worth it long term.
If the tools are out of reach financially, share the cost with a riding buddy or three. Someone you know has done this

before. Buy him a case of beer and learn.
captmoto
8/11/2019 6:06am
If you are talking about just oil change and seals etc., use your local guy. If you are talking about a revalve then the choices are endless. With a local guy, if you have an issue you can get to him and save boxing and shipping. Also, insurance on your fork/shock is big money.
Maybe find a Racetech authorized service center near you?
SoCalMX70
8/11/2019 11:34am
zippytech wrote:
I send my to Rick Johnson Too Tech..
Same. Guy sticks by his work and his customers, and the prices aren't outrageous
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
8/11/2019 5:21pm
captmoto wrote:
I use Race Tech. Isn't there anyone near you that does suspension service? With a little training and proper tools it should be easy for almost...
yea there are a couple that have survived but i'm just wanting to try out the premier stuff i guess.

If you're just looking for a rebuild, the quality of fluids will be the only real difference.

If you're looking for valving/setup, then you'll have to do a bit more research between shops to make a decision.

Race Tech does have a VitalMX discount and I'd love to have you choose RT; however, you may want to look into a local solution and save the money on shipping and ensure proper fluids are used by a local tuner... unless you're looking for a revalve, and then that's a whole different ball game.

Hope that helps.
FIREfish148
8/11/2019 6:00pm
TexasVet wrote:
I do! Invest in whatever special tools and even a small nitrogen set up and you will be money ahead in the end. Way ahead. Even...
I do! Invest in whatever special tools and even a small nitrogen set up and you will be money ahead in the end. Way

ahead. Even service your shock more often like the factories. I don't know your abilities but I'd bet you don't come close

to using your shock to its full potential(most riders don't). So forget about valving and all that stuff. Invest some time in

instructional videos(I am a licensed aircraft mechanic). Extremely helpful(these videos) .

Caveat: if you don't know the business end of a hammer or don't know what a box end wrench is....pay away.

Caveat: Be careful. Shop accidents are almost 100% preventable. I realize people will say that this is too complicated

and potentially fatal(it is, just like riding your bike). Watch a few videos from say Rocky Mtn. Mc. You will see it's

pretty simple in concept and scope. Your whole bike is. The more you work on it, the more you'll understand it. Buy a

shop manual. You should have one from day one anyway. This applies to forks also. Fix your own blown seals. No

waiting or shipping. Save time and money! You might even wonder why you are paying these guys $80-$100 per hr.
No doubt, I’ve rebuilt literally everything on the bike except for the shock. I just don’t really have the space to be rebuilding it at the moment. Plus I have a little extra money and I’m just lazy I guess and want to support the shops before they completely disappear.
OLDMOTO
8/11/2019 6:28pm
I do all of my own mechanical work. I was a Porsche technician for many years. Suspension maintainance is fairly easy. You pay a suspension tuner for knowledge to avoid a science project. The physical work is easy. You can buy Race Tech kits and repair parts. You will have to get a nitrogen bottle and regulator along with a few special tools. I've done a lot of suspension work over the years. On my last two bike I just had Procircuit re-valve them as I just want to ride and not have constanly test and experiment. As for seals, oil changes and rebuilds I do it at home.
TexasVet
8/11/2019 6:42pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
I do all of my own mechanical work. I was a Porsche technician for many years. Suspension maintainance is fairly easy. You pay a suspension tuner...
I do all of my own mechanical work. I was a Porsche technician for many years. Suspension maintainance is fairly easy. You pay a suspension tuner for knowledge to avoid a science project. The physical work is easy. You can buy Race Tech kits and repair parts. You will have to get a nitrogen bottle and regulator along with a few special tools. I've done a lot of suspension work over the years. On my last two bike I just had Procircuit re-valve them as I just want to ride and not have constanly test and experiment. As for seals, oil changes and rebuilds I do it at home.
I've ridden for 50 years. Never had any shock, fork re-valved. My supposition is that most riders can't use what they

have-power , suspension etc. How hard is it to twist a few clickers? MXA would probably put you in the ballpark.

And that's free. Question: are you faster(i.e. better results ) after the re-valve? Really?
TexasVet
8/11/2019 6:48pm
TexasVet wrote:
I do! Invest in whatever special tools and even a small nitrogen set up and you will be money ahead in the end. Way ahead. Even...

No doubt, I’ve rebuilt literally everything on the bike except for the shock. I just don’t really have the space to be rebuilding it at the...
No doubt, I’ve rebuilt literally everything on the bike except for the shock. I just don’t really have the space to be rebuilding it at the moment. Plus I have a little extra money and I’m just lazy I guess and want to support the shops before they completely disappear.
Hey that's cool. I just authorized my pool guy to rebuild the pool pump seal, because I can and it's 106 degrees

here. But it's not to support him. Don't worry about shops disappearing. Electric bikes will fill the void. Dirt bike

racing shops will disappear as mx racing disappears.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
8/11/2019 6:48pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
I do all of my own mechanical work. I was a Porsche technician for many years. Suspension maintainance is fairly easy. You pay a suspension tuner...
TexasVet wrote:
I've ridden for 50 years. Never had any shock, fork re-valved. My supposition is that most riders can't use what they have-power , suspension etc. How...
I've ridden for 50 years. Never had any shock, fork re-valved. My supposition is that most riders can't use what they

have-power , suspension etc. How hard is it to twist a few clickers? MXA would probably put you in the ballpark.

And that's free. Question: are you faster(i.e. better results ) after the re-valve? Really?
Yes, I could tell a huge difference with properly set up suspension. The biggest difference was when I had a 89 CR500 upgraded, but the difference with my YZ450, my son's 350SXF and others have all been noticeable. Some bikes have a bigger payback than others, obviously.

I have a local suspension shop, Over The Top Motorsports, do mine. He uses Race Tech and MX Tech components.
OLDMOTO
8/11/2019 6:57pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
TexasVet wrote:
I've ridden for 50 years. Never had any shock, fork re-valved. My supposition is that most riders can't use what they have-power , suspension etc. How...

I agree that many people dont try to properly adjust their suspension and chassis. I take it you never rode an RMZ 450. Some suspension is not properly valves or sprung from the manufacturer.
Nuffsaid
8/11/2019 7:46pm
When it comes down to it, your local shop can do just as good if they are competent and fully aware of your ability and what...
When it comes down to it, your local shop can do just as good if they are competent and fully aware of your ability and what you want. I had to pay twice for settings at pro circuit when I paid once at Noleen(Local). Pro circuit is fluff imo
Clark, nuff said
8/11/2019 8:06pm
Dude, call up Barry and April at KFG, right down the road in aurburn. They do good work and take great care of you
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
8/11/2019 8:34pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
TexasVet wrote:

good suspension setup for you gives you confidence to go through stuff faster so i think it can definitely make you faster. you don't really know until you try for yourself though. it makes a massive difference for any level rider IMO.
8/11/2019 8:57pm
TexasVet wrote:

Same goes for gear. Buy the coolest stuff you can find on sale. Don’t worry about whether it fits, or not, you won’t notice the two sizes to big boots and the two sizes too small helmet when you’re riding.
chippo
8/11/2019 9:25pm
Look around locally you'd be surprised how many people provide shock services, it might be cheaper and you can still receive the same outcome.
vetmxr
8/11/2019 9:28pm
I don't do valving but I do everything else myself....get the tools and the nitrogen......It aint hard....
captmoto
8/11/2019 11:32pm
TexasVet wrote:

Yes, because I am not in the target range of 175# that manufacturers aim for on suspension. Too stiff springs can run you out of rebound adjustment. When I get on a bike revalved for ME the difference is noticeable.
TexasVet
8/12/2019 5:28am
TexasVet wrote:

captmoto wrote:
Yes, because I am not in the target range of 175# that manufacturers aim for on suspension. Too stiff springs can run you out of rebound...
Yes, because I am not in the target range of 175# that manufacturers aim for on suspension. Too stiff springs can run you out of rebound adjustment. When I get on a bike revalved for ME the difference is noticeable.
Ok. Fair enough. How much better are you now? How do you describe a "noticeable difference? And what does it do

for your racing?
coastie44
8/12/2019 6:06am
TexasVet wrote:
Ok. Fair enough. How much better are you now? How do you describe a "noticeable difference? And what does it do

for your racing?
FFS dude why do you care???

I’ve spent many thousands on suspension, even have A kit stuff now. It hasn’t made me any faster, but it sure makes my riding more enjoyable. Without good suspension I can’t even ride because of bad wrist(s). So what about it??

Bro, do you even race? Lol jeezus.
sandtrack315
8/12/2019 6:42am
If you’re just doing maintenance any decent shop can do it. If you want a revalve and have KYB stuff definitely send it to Enzo. Even if you’re a C rider you will benefit. Your lap times might not be faster but you’ll feel and be in more control of the bike.

Post a reply to: Who services your shock?

The Latest