Who here weight trains pretty serious?

GasGasOrAss
4/9/2019 11:41am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2019 11:45am
I powerlifted competitively for 6 years. I got strong but I will never go back. I had strength but would lose my breath when walking up steep hills or anything that involves lifting over 6 reps. I used to religiously hate CrossFit because it bastardized the lifts that powerlifting would do. Now I care more about athleticism and endurance and CrossFit actually doesn’t look to bad (no homo) if it’s done right. As someone who’s been on both ends of the spectrum, training for endurance is much more rewarding and you just feel better than being big and “strong”. Not to mention that shit takes a toll on your body in the long run. Endurance, body weight workouts and Smarter strength training is what I do now and I’ve never felt better. Not to mention having better ability on my bike (I still suck)

I competed in the 242 weight class and had a raw total of 1600. Im down to 190 now and have never felt better. I still lift 5 days a week and will as long as I’m able. But I no longer squat because of what it’s done to my knees. My strength lifts now are incline bench, deadlift, and power clean. Anything else is bosyweight workouts and concept 2 rower or stationary bike
Hammer 663s
4/9/2019 12:22pm
7eleven wrote:
As a retired pro, who takes fitness very serious, you end up working with a body that doesn't allow full range of motion and joints that...
As a retired pro, who takes fitness very serious, you end up working with a body that doesn't allow full range of motion and joints that have become super sensitive to heavy lifting.
If you've developed a program that works for you, the important thing is to just be consistent with it.
In my world, cardio is king and gym work (4 days a week) is a bonus. My gym days are full body workouts, 2 sets per movement, high reps (20).
I am 46, i've had 17 broken bones and 6 surgeries, one being my femur through the back of my pelvis 5 years ago.

Stay active, my friends!
-Austin
This^^^. As you age (I'm 56 now) you can't lift "serious" weights anymore. At 25 I could bench 405 at 205 body weight and squat even more. Now I don't bench more than 185 at 180 body weight and I don't do bar squats at all. Broken femur, meniscus damage, shoulder/back injuries won't allow it, and for moto sheer strength/power isn't that important.

Now, it's more about cardio, overall muscular balance, and agility. I too do a lot of full body movements with a focus on keeping my heart rate in the 80-90% of max range for most of an hour workout. Many are just body weight, some use moderate weights to increase muscle engagement.

Rest is really important now too. I rarely train more than 3 days a week, with another 1-2 moto ride days as weather allows.

Whatever you do, do it. Every week, every month, every year. Never stop except for injury. I'm in year 37 now, and have only missed a few months in all of that for major moves or injuries.

M
ajv#26
4/9/2019 12:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2019 12:44pm
I was an athlete (judo) for 20 years, training and competing.
When I started in motocross, I researched on several websites about the best training for mx ...
After several experiences in the gym, concludes that for me and due to my physical and psychological wear and tear with competition (judo), just rest, a good diet and motorcycle training three times a week is enough!
Moral of the story: if your body for many years underwent high intensity exercises, it is not necessary to exercise much to keep the shape, just the right one !! Smile
EMARacing
4/9/2019 2:09pm
I do Olympic Weightlifting. Still shit at it, snatch 80kgs (176lbs) and clean and jerk 106kg (233lbs). Transfers better to other sports than general strength training...
I do Olympic Weightlifting. Still shit at it, snatch 80kgs (176lbs) and clean and jerk 106kg (233lbs).

Transfers better to other sports than general strength training / powerlifting / bodybuilding, at least I feel like it does.
I love snatch!

Really though, don't sell yourself short, those are pretty impressive numbers. There's very few people in the world that can hit those numbers, it takes solid form to do so. Aren't the top guys/gals incredible?

The Shop

4/9/2019 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2019 3:02pm
ajv#26 wrote:
I was an athlete (judo) for 20 years, training and competing. When I started in motocross, I researched on several websites about the best training for...
When I started in motocross, I researched on several websites about the best training for mx ...
After several experiences in the gym, concludes that for me and due to my physical and psychological wear and tear with competition (judo), just rest, a good diet and motorcycle training three times a week is enough!
Moral of the story: if your body for many years underwent high intensity exercises, it is not necessary to exercise much to keep the shape, just the right one !! Smile
I think it was Jeff Smith in the 60's, he used to train at Judo. He believed it helped him as he was able to fall off "better". If that makes sense. He was able to fall off and not get hurt as he new how to fall "correctly" from the judo training.
lucas51
4/9/2019 5:08pm
I do and I don't think it works well with mx! But I'm still trying to do both. The strength is great but I think it causes me to pump up too quick on the track.
cwtoyota
4/9/2019 5:27pm
dedi684 wrote:
Im 45 vet b in decent shape but only 145 pounds. No weight training but i feel im lacking the strength to hold onto a 250...
Im 45 vet b in decent shape but only 145 pounds. No weight training but i feel im lacking the strength to hold onto a 250 2 stroke. Im not helpless i won a bunch of races last year but i think i either need weight training or a lighter bike since it tires me out. To me it feels like the bike outweighs me by so much im at a disadvantage. Any ideas? More mtn biking wouldnt hurt.
Go ride your local track all day until you're tired. When the track is beat down, rough and dry go do at least five laps without letting your butt touch the seat. You don't have to go fast, just ride smooth and stay off your butt.

You'll feel some areas where you want to add strength training if you pay attention. You may even feel them again the next day or two. Add in a good mix of low and high rep stuff to work those muscle groups.
You'll start to notice the benefit on the track within a few weeks and in a few months if you're also focused on skills, you'll be twisting that 250 a lot harder.

I tend to notice my lower back and triceps get weak and I sit down too much when I'm not working on those areas.

I switched to racing a YZ125 in 30+B from age 33 to age 35 and worked on upper body strength as well as core strength. The 125 gave me a chance to learn better technique and the strength allowed me to correct mistakes.
All of that transferred back to the 250 when I moved up to the A classes and I was running a good pace immediately.
dedi684
4/9/2019 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2019 6:56pm
dedi684 wrote:
Im 45 vet b in decent shape but only 145 pounds. No weight training but i feel im lacking the strength to hold onto a 250...
Im 45 vet b in decent shape but only 145 pounds. No weight training but i feel im lacking the strength to hold onto a 250 2 stroke. Im not helpless i won a bunch of races last year but i think i either need weight training or a lighter bike since it tires me out. To me it feels like the bike outweighs me by so much im at a disadvantage. Any ideas? More mtn biking wouldnt hurt.
cwtoyota wrote:
Go ride your local track all day until you're tired. When the track is beat down, rough and dry go do at least five laps without...
Go ride your local track all day until you're tired. When the track is beat down, rough and dry go do at least five laps without letting your butt touch the seat. You don't have to go fast, just ride smooth and stay off your butt.

You'll feel some areas where you want to add strength training if you pay attention. You may even feel them again the next day or two. Add in a good mix of low and high rep stuff to work those muscle groups.
You'll start to notice the benefit on the track within a few weeks and in a few months if you're also focused on skills, you'll be twisting that 250 a lot harder.

I tend to notice my lower back and triceps get weak and I sit down too much when I'm not working on those areas.

I switched to racing a YZ125 in 30+B from age 33 to age 35 and worked on upper body strength as well as core strength. The 125 gave me a chance to learn better technique and the strength allowed me to correct mistakes.
All of that transferred back to the 250 when I moved up to the A classes and I was running a good pace immediately.
Thanks. Great ideas. I am suffering a bit as i had my own personal track but sold my house last year so getting track time is a little more difficult and it shows in my riding. Local track = southwick Smile
4/9/2019 7:01pm
Crossfit. A lot of people knock it that don’t know about it (I was one of them) but I love it. Best overall
Shape of my life (32 years old) and spend total of about 30-50 minutes in my home gym everyday. Warmup workout and cooldown, everything.
cwtoyota
4/9/2019 8:15pm
dedi684 wrote:
cwtoyota wrote:
Go ride your local track all day until you're tired. When the track is beat down, rough and dry go do at least five laps without...

dedi684 wrote:
Thanks. Great ideas. I am suffering a bit as i had my own personal track but sold my house last year so getting track time is...
Thanks. Great ideas. I am suffering a bit as i had my own personal track but sold my house last year so getting track time is a little more difficult and it shows in my riding. Local track = southwick Smile
I agree, the home track, or some mid-week practice is a big advantage. About 2.5 acres of my land is a very intense MX track, almost arena-cross with sand and hills. I go up there after a workout and do at least 30 minutes on my YZ125 mid-week whenever I can.

You can't go wrong measuring yourself against a track like Southwick!

blaze 57
4/9/2019 8:32pm
I go to the gym three days per week. Mon, weds and Fri. I only do bench, squats and rows and a 30 min treadmill for warm-up. That is it.

Last week-end I did try out an old Bow-Flew with those fiber rods that act like a rubber band effect and have never been so friggin sore in my life. Probably due to the fact my muscle were not accustomed to the rubber-band effect of the Bow-Flex compared to iron weights that I'm used to.
ajv#26
4/10/2019 2:20am
ajv#26 wrote:
I was an athlete (judo) for 20 years, training and competing. When I started in motocross, I researched on several websites about the best training for...
StevieD113 wrote:
I think it was Jeff Smith in the 60's, he used to train at Judo. He believed it helped him as he was able to fall...
I think it was Jeff Smith in the 60's, he used to train at Judo. He believed it helped him as he was able to fall off "better". If that makes sense. He was able to fall off and not get hurt as he new how to fall "correctly" from the judo training.
As Tim Gajser!
ama530
4/10/2019 5:09am
I powerlifted competitively for 6 years. I got strong but I will never go back. I had strength but would lose my breath when walking up...
I powerlifted competitively for 6 years. I got strong but I will never go back. I had strength but would lose my breath when walking up steep hills or anything that involves lifting over 6 reps. I used to religiously hate CrossFit because it bastardized the lifts that powerlifting would do. Now I care more about athleticism and endurance and CrossFit actually doesn’t look to bad (no homo) if it’s done right. As someone who’s been on both ends of the spectrum, training for endurance is much more rewarding and you just feel better than being big and “strong”. Not to mention that shit takes a toll on your body in the long run. Endurance, body weight workouts and Smarter strength training is what I do now and I’ve never felt better. Not to mention having better ability on my bike (I still suck)

I competed in the 242 weight class and had a raw total of 1600. Im down to 190 now and have never felt better. I still lift 5 days a week and will as long as I’m able. But I no longer squat because of what it’s done to my knees. My strength lifts now are incline bench, deadlift, and power clean. Anything else is bosyweight workouts and concept 2 rower or stationary bike
I was in the same boat. Got really strong back then but those days are long gone. Still hate Crossfit. Can't get into it. I was in the 181# class back in my late teens early twenties and had a 505# squat, 450# deadlift, and a 305# bench. ADFPA drug tested events. Now that I'm in my 50's, it's about training smart. Warming up and stretching is "vital". Higher reps and more endurance training. And for those that say that weight training provides no endurance, try throwing 315 and your back and perform 15 to 20 reps with it. That is an equivalent to doing 100 yard sprints at full tilt. It isn't the same as running a 5K but it will get your cardio capacity up.

One thing I can't stand about most of the pros now. They are all on the cardio cardio cardio program. They all look like walking skeletons. They have enough body just to hold their spandex jerseys up. Peick, Bowers, and Roczen are not in that category. But majority have no muscle mass at all. Then they wonder why they fold up like tinfoil when they hit the ground.
ama530
4/10/2019 5:13am
ama530 wrote:
Ex-powerlifter. At 51, I still train 5 days a week but with much higher reps. My joints just can't take the heavy weights and low reps...
Ex-powerlifter. At 51, I still train 5 days a week but with much higher reps. My joints just can't take the heavy weights and low reps anymore. 6' and 205#. I still push once in a while but nothing crazy. I mix in mountain biking and kayaking in for cardio. +50A off-road rider/racer.

Most retired pros dump training all together once they hang it up. Their bodies are so beat up, the last thing they want to do is tear down their muscles and be sore all the time.
Not true at all about most pros giving up training once they retire. Take RC for example, he's kept at it and now works in tv...
Not true at all about most pros giving up training once they retire. Take RC for example, he's kept at it and now works in tv doing announcing.
Nice! Yeah RC is on the Kevin Windham workout program, less the whiskers.
Gilby122
4/16/2019 8:49pm
I enjoyed reading through these. I too have run the gamut of lifting - bodybuilding and powerlifting and now a CrossFit hybrid through JohnnyWOD. My gym time is my time. 41 and in the best overall condition of my life.

Was wondering how many of you guys lift daily and then ride? My workouts are over my lunch hour. High intensity. Usually pretty fried when I’m done. My diet is on point. Gallon of water a day blah blah. But I get home in the evening and try to ride and am tense and nothing ever feels good. I rode terrible tonight (after a rain storm even! Dirt was perfect), but my legs were jello from my workout five hours previous. Weekends I usually feel good. Any of you all experience (or even ride) while broke down/wore out? Frustrating cause I love riding as much as the gym but real tough to do both safely I feel like. Or maybe that’s in my head?
yz133rider
4/16/2019 11:44pm
Getting back into it. Just picked up a concept rower and have been doing body weight exercies every day. Going to do a minimum of 20 mins on the rower and body weight exercises every day. Results should come quickly. Am looking forward to it.
duckdog77
4/17/2019 3:29am
Gilby122 wrote:
I enjoyed reading through these. I too have run the gamut of lifting - bodybuilding and powerlifting and now a CrossFit hybrid through JohnnyWOD. My gym...
I enjoyed reading through these. I too have run the gamut of lifting - bodybuilding and powerlifting and now a CrossFit hybrid through JohnnyWOD. My gym time is my time. 41 and in the best overall condition of my life.

Was wondering how many of you guys lift daily and then ride? My workouts are over my lunch hour. High intensity. Usually pretty fried when I’m done. My diet is on point. Gallon of water a day blah blah. But I get home in the evening and try to ride and am tense and nothing ever feels good. I rode terrible tonight (after a rain storm even! Dirt was perfect), but my legs were jello from my workout five hours previous. Weekends I usually feel good. Any of you all experience (or even ride) while broke down/wore out? Frustrating cause I love riding as much as the gym but real tough to do both safely I feel like. Or maybe that’s in my head?
I separate practice days w/ 24 hours of rest, race days with 36-48 hours of rest between working out and riding. Riding is physically demanding enough for me to be considered my work out for the day. Try to ride 2 times a week and be in the gym 3+ days a week. All with fair enough amounts of food, rest, and hydration in between.
Patrick461
4/17/2019 5:36am
Trained with weights and cardio raced and rode daily for 30 years now at 45 and with a physical job. Everyone asks me how much I work out. I say basically never. I just work all day. I guess others have stated. If you’ve done it for 20 years or longer. The body you’ve build kinda stays as long as you remain active. And don’t sit all day. Sitting is the new cancer. Or so I’ve head.
yz25
4/17/2019 7:33am
BobKerr wrote:
I quit riding a little over 10 yrs ago. I enjoy lifting weights for size and strength. I am 25 lbs heavier than I was during...
I quit riding a little over 10 yrs ago. I enjoy lifting weights for size and strength. I am 25 lbs heavier than I was during my 20's and 30's. Back then I did a ton of cardio and mild fitness weight lifting. I'm sure all the extra muscle mass I have now would be a huge negative for riding.

I am not a fan of Crossfit. I think it causes too many injuries.
Fit has made the orthos extra busy. If you have any appearance of working out and need surgery on a knee or shoulder.... be prepared to asked countless times if you did it while doing CrossFit! Had a few football injuries that I had put off for many many years that caught up to me. ACL/MCL and full shoulder scope. Not a day went by in physical therapy that I wasn’t asked. All for anyone to do some type of exercise, just something. I know there probably some good into it, but I’m not a believer.
Lifting weights is my drug of choice. Highly addicted. No partners.... it’s my time. Member of 2 gyms. One that is a 24/7 while I travel, the other is a local owned where the owner puts up with zero BS.
Like to bulk up a few pounds in the winter and lean out in summer. Nothing to crazy but does keep you discipline in other aspects of your life as well.
Patrick461
4/17/2019 10:43am
I tried cross fit don’t see what the big deal is. I started in judo before moto. I never tore up my shoulders or broke wrists from learning to judo roll , which translated well into the combat roll in the Army I did however destroy my knee and I am now running a full aftermarket knee. (Replacement) lol

Post a reply to: Who here weight trains pretty serious?

The Latest