Who here weight trains pretty serious?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/8/2019 10:13 PM

I'm surprised more ( any?) ex pros don't get into it after they retire. I would think the transformation from small and lean, to putting on some muscle would be something that would be appealing to guys with "extreme" mindsets... And let's be honest, egos are pretty common among our group.

|

4/8/2019 10:42 PM

soren346 wrote:

I'm surprised more ( any?) ex pros don't get into it after they retire. I would think the transformation from small and lean, ...more

motocrossers are into being athletic and active. body building is very involved with just weight lifting and dieting. When these guys retire after living a high strung extreme lifestyle of racing most step back and slow down a bit

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

4/8/2019 11:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2019 11:09 PM

I think a lot of these guys could benefit from some weight lifting. Some of these kids look to blow away with the jersey off.

|

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”

4/8/2019 11:14 PM

I think pingree got into CrossFit or what have you, after retiring from racing full time.
I’m pretty into functional strength training myself; just hit a personal best 275 on bench at a body weight of 174. Having a good gym to workout at is motivating, I use my school’s 3-4 times per week.
Photo

|

4/8/2019 11:15 PM

Nah I normally like to have a laugh when I'm lifting

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

4/8/2019 11:20 PM

This.

|

4/8/2019 11:22 PM

Permeance_Flux wrote:

I think pingree got into CrossFit or what have you, after retiring from racing full time.
I’m pretty into functional strength ...more

275 bench at 174 is Awesome. Don't know what your baseline was but that's impressive. It's pretty cool to have goals to shoot for and hit them... Then exceed them.

|

4/8/2019 11:31 PM

soren346 wrote:

275 bench at 174 is Awesome. Don't know what your baseline was but that's impressive. It's pretty cool to have goals to shoot ...more

Thanks. I was at a plateau for years until I started working out with this 43 year old marine. He has me on some crazy workout regimen that I didn’t think was sustainable but it’s really paying off. Here is what a typical week would look like focusing on higher repetition

Monday/ Friday
Max/ High rep

Sprints
Warmup on field
4 x 40
4 x 100

Strength chest/back
Warm up set doesn’t count
2 x 15
Flat bench 185
Incline bench 135
Close grip pull ups
Band flies
Tricep Overhead extension 85
Triceps pull down 70
Bicep curls 85
Forward incline curls 20
Abs

Tuesday/ Thursday
Max/High rep

Interval running
20 min

Strength legs/deltoids
Warm up set doesn’t count
2 x 15
Squats 185
Shoulder press 115
Step ups with overhead press 95
Forward raise 45
Box Jumps
Lateral raise 15
Cleans 135
Ball toss 18
Abs

Swim
20 min

|

4/8/2019 11:43 PM

I do Olympic Weightlifting. Still shit at it, snatch 80kgs (176lbs) and clean and jerk 106kg (233lbs).

Transfers better to other sports than general strength training / powerlifting / bodybuilding, at least I feel like it does.

|

2015 KTM250SX

4/8/2019 11:54 PM

soren346 wrote:

I'm surprised more ( any?) ex pros don't get into it after they retire. I would think the transformation from small and lean, ...more

Just reading your thread title brought to mind a question. What do you mean by serious weight training?

If by that you mean using weights to achieve a fitness goal, then that's a good thing for a motocross racer.
If by serious weight training that means looking a certain way, then I'm more in agreement with Deman684.

You don't have to be big to be strong. Permeance_Flux makes that point well at 175lbs.

The average amateur rider/racer could be a lot safer and have a lot more fun if they just did some cardio.
The average amateur rider/racer could gain some speed with a little more strength.

Crossfit, is probably the best thing the average motocrosser could do to improve both.

Once a guy has maxed out the potential of something like crossfit, there's speed to be gained in some customized work for sure. Adding some MX focused strength training to my life in my early 30's allowed me to improve my speed and skill on the MX track. Mostly because I could push my envelope and had the strength to hang on when things went wrong.

|

4/9/2019 4:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2019 4:39 AM

I quit riding a little over 10 yrs ago. I enjoy lifting weights for size and strength. I am 25 lbs heavier than I was during my 20's and 30's. Back then I did a ton of cardio and mild fitness weight lifting. I'm sure all the extra muscle mass I have now would be a huge negative for riding.

I am not a fan of Crossfit. I think it causes too many injuries.

|

4/9/2019 4:46 AM

Im 45 vet b in decent shape but only 145 pounds. No weight training but i feel im lacking the strength to hold onto a 250 2 stroke. Im not helpless i won a bunch of races last year but i think i either need weight training or a lighter bike since it tires me out. To me it feels like the bike outweighs me by so much im at a disadvantage. Any ideas? More mtn biking wouldnt hurt.

|

4/9/2019 4:59 AM

dedi684 wrote:

Im 45 vet b in decent shape but only 145 pounds. No weight training but i feel im lacking the strength to hold onto a 250 2 ...more

A lot of people make it more complicated than it is. To build strength, you just need to lift heavy as often as your body can recovery from, sleep good EVERY night, and EAT. Typically that will mean repeating the same exercises every 3-7 days. Focus on hitting all the big compound movements like deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press, pull-ups, chin-ups, rows etc. There are almost an infinite number of exercises, but the most bang for the buck comes from the big compound movements that I mentioned. Watch Youtube videos for instruction on proper form. Eat enough protein daily to build muscle (1 gram per lb of body weight)

|

4/9/2019 5:06 AM

Ex-powerlifter. At 51, I still train 5 days a week but with much higher reps. My joints just can't take the heavy weights and low reps anymore. 6' and 205#. I still push once in a while but nothing crazy. I mix in mountain biking and kayaking in for cardio. +50A off-road rider/racer.

Most retired pros dump training all together once they hang it up. Their bodies are so beat up, the last thing they want to do is tear down their muscles and be sore all the time.

|

4/9/2019 5:09 AM

You had me at "weight trains" Bro

|

RIP OCS

United States of America

4/9/2019 5:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2019 5:13 AM

dedi684 wrote:

Im 45 vet b in decent shape but only 145 pounds. No weight training but i feel im lacking the strength to hold onto a 250 2 ...more

BobKerr wrote:

A lot of people make it more complicated than it is. To build strength, you just need to lift heavy as often as your body can ...more

I got serious into power lifting/gaining weight/etc for about 7 years. I've always been naturally a hard gainer (was 6 foot 135 pounds at 19 years old.) In those 7 years I topped out at 185 pounds. It was fun and something new after quitting racing. After a while I got tired of having to eat so much all the time to get calories and protein since I still ride and do endurance training that burns off a ton of calories. Now I just work out for fun to stay lean and don't lift to heavy, going for more high reps rather than 5x5s and triples. I naturally came back down to 170 and I'm happy with that weight.

I also assume that most moto guys are hard gainers and used to endurance type training. Rather than benching 315, they'd rather do a century ride on a road bike.

|

4/9/2019 5:14 AM

Camp332 wrote:

Pumping those legs bro

|

4/9/2019 5:18 AM

Camp332 wrote:

When I saw the title of this thread I started watching for you to show up. Thanks for not letting me down.

|

4/9/2019 5:24 AM

Camp332 wrote:

DoctorJD wrote:

When I saw the title of this thread I started watching for you to show up. Thanks for not letting me down.

Thanks DocJD! I feel the love.

Everyone should lift weights in my opinion. There are challenges of proper technique, and applying the technique to your lifts as they get heavier is a lot of fun.

|

RIP OCS

United States of America

4/9/2019 5:28 AM

Actual weight training is overrated. People don't know how to lift a lot of the time.

SAQs are more important. (Speed, Agility and Quickness) Just doing common lifts in sets is key. It's the cardio that is more important really. That is the backbone to everything. Once you have that, lifting becomes more important.

|

New to SX. Went to my very 1st race in Nashville. Had a blast! Fell in love with Roczen, his story and his determination. Went from LAST to 8th in the main event!!! Amazing!

4/9/2019 5:36 AM

HoosierMad wrote:

Actual weight training is overrated. People don't know how to lift a lot of the time.

SAQs are more important. (Speed, ...more

It is absolutely unbelievable how most people fuck up form and technique in the gym. Swinging the weights, bouncing them, and half repping to make it easier. They might as well not even be there.

|

4/9/2019 7:03 AM

I’ve lifted weights my whole life. Uncle owns a commercial gym and he was into bodybuilding when I was young so by the time I got into my teens I was lifting at his gym. I couldn’t imagine not working out and being fat and overweight. I’ve never stopped. For about a 5-6 year stint I quit going to the gym and just did body weight stuff and ran every day. Probably the best I ever felt but I got pretty weak weight room wise. Once I bought a house with a nice garage and bought some weights and crap I got back into lifting heavy again. Tangled with Crossfit for a bit but honestly that shit is just didn’t work well for me. My shoulders are tight as hell from benching heavy my whole life. So snatching and swinging from a pull up bar kills them. I wish I had gotten into oly lifting at a young age. But oh well to late now. I hit my genetic limit in my early twenties muscle wise and have just tried to maintain that until age finally sets in. These days I do a full body routine 3 days a week and run 3 days a week. Fun stuff!

|

4/9/2019 7:24 AM

I mostly Olympic lift and functional conditioning, I have noticed nothing but positive results to my riding. I am stronger on the bike and can sustain my form longer while pushing at a decent pace!

I enjoy the process of learning the techniques for Snatching and clean and Jerk, with good form I am at 195 CJ and 165 snatch at 45 years old with 1.5 years of training... those are full squat not power!

|

2021 KTM 350 SXF
2006 KX250

4/9/2019 8:36 AM

I lift weights heavy in the off-season. I basically just ride during the season with some running and standard maintenance lifting.

I weigh 150 lbs and got in the best shape of my life this winter.

Deadlift: 405
Squat: 300
Bench 225

I also run long distance. I did one half-marathon at 92 minutes, 15 seconds. 7 mile PR is 43:40.

It's about all around athleticism. I've run lots of running races, Spartan Races and obstacle course races. My top finish at a Spartan Race was 16th overall (twice) out of a thousands of people.

READY TO GO RACE DIRT BIKES THIS YEAR!

|

4/9/2019 8:37 AM

As a retired pro, who takes fitness very serious, you end up working with a body that doesn't allow full range of motion and joints that have become super sensitive to heavy lifting.
If you've developed a program that works for you, the important thing is to just be consistent with it.
In my world, cardio is king and gym work (4 days a week) is a bonus. My gym days are full body workouts, 2 sets per movement, high reps (20).
I am 46, i've had 17 broken bones and 6 surgeries, one being my femur through the back of my pelvis 5 years ago.

Stay active, my friends!
-Austin

|

4/9/2019 8:42 AM

Same here. I weight train and do cardio 3-5 days a week. Play ice hockey on sundays. Try to ride 2+ times a week.

|

4/9/2019 9:26 AM

I am from a rugby background, I put on muscle really really easily .even when I do my most to train in a way not to . I think most top pro s are guy s who would find it hard to gain muscle. Most tend to be naturally skinny types. Who find it hard to put on weight or muscle. Of course you have the exceptions, Pieck more muscle type frame . RC tend to hold fat .but RC could probably get great results from weight training, more so than a Blake Bagget

|

4/9/2019 10:02 AM

I have a garage gym where I crossfit and olympic lift. It keeps it fun and interesting. I don't get tired or fade during my races and stay physically ready through the year. I really enjoy olympic lifting. It requires as much, if not more, techinique than strength. My current PR's are 230lbs on clean & jerk, 175lbs on snatch at 170lbs bodyweight. I did one powerlifting meet and got a 1000lbs total. 395lbs on deadlift, 360lbs on squat, and 245lbs on bench at 165lbs bodyweight.

|

4/9/2019 10:20 AM

Photo
|

4/9/2019 10:52 AM

ama530 wrote:

Ex-powerlifter. At 51, I still train 5 days a week but with much higher reps. My joints just can't take the heavy weights and ...more

Not true at all about most pros giving up training once they retire. Take RC for example, he's kept at it and now works in tv doing announcing.

|