Who here doesn't actually ride?

three9zero
6/24/2022 7:04am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2022 7:05am
I'm 46 and started riding at 3yrs old. Raced for almost 30 years. My family watches all the races on the TV, we go to the national when it comes by town . I actually work in the industry but only ride a few times a year now days. My kids are into BMX, mountain biking, hockey, and freestyle skiing so all our spare time is spent doing that. I've also had many, many injuries and it's taken a toll on me mentally and physically. I love the sport but can't/won't take the risk anymore. It sucks when you can't shred the track, and have to roll all the jumps cause your armpump is so bad you can't lift your bike on the stand.
davistld01
6/24/2022 7:32am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2022 7:35am
Not much any more...riding, not racing. I raced from age 15 to 28...made it to where I was a pretty fast Expert, doing mostly races in Texas & Oklahoma. I had real dreams of turning pro, but a few big injuries that never healed right and age made it impossible. I still have a Honda 450F and a never-finished '74 Husky Mag 250 project in the garage...and I'm still a huge fan, but at 63 my business and family are my priorities.
Sunhouse
6/24/2022 7:34am
Don’t ride anymore. I crash like a sack of potatoes, and I can’t combine injuries with work.
I do however have very definite plans to by a Yamaha Tenere 700 and use it to travel countries and deserts. It’s a good mix of offroad and adventure without (hopefully) killing me
jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
6/24/2022 8:00am
I am old. I am an 80s/90s kid. I am surgically-repaired, multiple times over. I have not been riding mx except on the practice track for...
I am old. I am an 80s/90s kid. I am surgically-repaired, multiple times over.

I have not been riding mx except on the practice track for the last few years. I sold off my MX bikes in the pandemic when they were at max value, but I still have dirt bikes. I ride trails, offroad, and playride a lot with my kid. That rules. I throw down a lap sometimes (once every couple months), when I am feeling it.

I cycle a lot. Mostly on the road. I enjoy that nearly as much as my dirt motorcycle. But not quite.

Not sure where that stands.
Try being a kid of the 60’s, you’re in your prime!

The Shop

wwoberg
6/24/2022 8:05am
54 and ridden moto since 8. Broke my T8 and T9 Feb 21. Have not ridden yet, but will.
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
6/24/2022 8:05am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2022 8:11am
I'm 33, haven't ridden a big bike over the past 12 years as I sold it in 2010 and before that didn't ride it much in 2008 and 2009.

Fast forward to the last 2 years...My uncle got a used KTM EXC-F 500 back in the Summer of 2020, then my cousin got a new KTM EXC-F 500 last September, and a cousin on my mom's side inherited a WR 250F. My one brother kept his 2003 RM 125 though it hadn't been ridden in at least 5 years. With all of this building up I started really getting the itch for a big bike again last fall. I have had a pitbike, or even 2, over the last 12 years, but it's not quite the same.

I was lucky enough to find a lightly used 2019 RMZ 250 a few months ago and over the last month I have realized how much I missed riding... so did my dad and brothers. My dad is getting a 2023 CRF 250 once it comes in and my brother is looking to get a KX 250 within the next month. My twin brother kept his 2003 RM 125, but it gets blown away by my RMZ 250, so he is looking at a new bike next year. Funny how one bike opened up riding for all of us again and we are searching for gear, parts, etc.. I'm not going to race, will ride tracks and/or trails, but just riding is fun.
JWACK
6/24/2022 8:09am
I don’t ride as much as I would like. “Cause like adulting sucks”
But you best go ride in the desert when the dirt is good! Last weekend was real good.

Mavetism
6/24/2022 11:55am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2022 11:55am
Was riding and racing as a kid for around 10 years until the age of 19/20, then I moved away from home, basically started a new life, working n stuff. This sport is still everything to me, I just can't consume enough mx content, professional sport, games etc, podcasts, vital.
Honestly as a kid I couldn't really appreciate the opportunity my dad gave me, specially when I swapped to big bikes I started to ride tight and scared.
I was really good on 65/85, but it wasn't as much fun after that. I was also kinda small as a kid, I had my growth spurt laaate. I instantly knew what I was missing when I stopped riding though.

I'm still happy about my childhood though, going to races every weekend and getting to meet with all the friends back then, the smell of fuel, and not wasting most of the time behind electronic things like the a lot of kids today, it was a good time.

I will definitely try to get back to riding in my thirties

What still is insane to me how small this sport is in germany, or europe in general. Like trying to talk with friends about mx, they look at you like you're an alien. Most of the people here still think motocross is all about riding and circles.
cwel11
6/24/2022 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2022 2:28pm
I’m 42, got into riding late 20s but something about motorcycles is in my blood. Grandparents rode gold wings into their 70s. Dad used to ride but mom squashed it. I enjoy going to the track with my 13yr old son. He’s been riding since 5 and is almost faster than me now any day here. I live for the weekends. We ride, we race, and we talk smack to each other. My ultimate goal is being a grandparent and riding with my grandchildren. Life is short, your riding days even shorter. Don’t waste it!
hubbardmx50
6/24/2022 8:57pm
LungButter wrote:
Hell yeah, this thread is proof moto is a "lifetime sport". Pretty cool. *Other than that, can't contribute much as I'm still at a point of...
Hell yeah, this thread is proof moto is a "lifetime sport". Pretty cool.

*Other than that, can't contribute much as I'm still at a point of riding 4-5 days a week when their isn't snow. I'm lucky to have an open ORV area that I can ride to from my house and 3-4 private tracks within 30 minutes. Doesn't hurt that my 6 year old is addicted so the Wife is good with it. If I had to spend a bunch on fuel and fees each time I would ride SIGNIFICANTLY less.
4-5 days a week?! Holy shit. I'm in Socal ten minutes away from GH and I don't even get to ride that much. That's awesome your 6 year old is into it. He'll look back on those days spent with you at the track and cherish them. I'm lucky my dad is still into it at 61
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
6/24/2022 10:21pm
Started riding and racing when I was 7 yrs old and quit riding full time when I turned 31. Since then I've enjoyed the occasional ride and the last time I spun laps was at Bob Brew's Claverack track outside Albany NY (Castleton on Hudson). Bob is a friend and let me on the track by myself. What a treat.

I'm currently 51 and would love to ride more but sadly the cost of a bike (even pre-owned) as well as the maintenance is out of my reach....which in hind site is a good thing. I don't miss the associated injuries that comes with riding

I'm a proud bench racer/couch muncher and the older I get the faster I was...
6/25/2022 9:04am
For those taking a break riding that hv physical jobs don’t wait too long. My dr Fri read a dr,s report from another network dr. L1-5 is damaged and deceased vertebrae with bad disk. I had probably 15 jobs since 4-13 when my bikes where stolen. I even went to w Texas 130 mi from the Mexican border worked 2 jobs in the oil field and made nothing. Then it’s 5 1099 Chicago Eastern European co.s . I knew what I was getting into I saw a lot of there drivers passed out ovr the steering wheel parked across 5 spots with a directional flashing and headlights on. But that’s the only place to make money. 2,500-3,500 for a used cr125 that’s all you need for a track. A kid on a new yz was slower than anyone wed. It’s still the rider and not the bike. Nothing changed there.
MX915
6/25/2022 10:03am
37 and riding as we speak. Not frequently (responsibilities) but try and get 4 or 5 races in a year and a few ride days when time allows.

wwdiii
6/25/2022 10:33am
One thing I left off in my previous comment. I’m retired in my 60’s and for us that like to turn wrenches, it’s a whole lot easier to tinker with a dirt bike that a jacked up 4x4 or hot rod.

Texas is hot, I partitioned off part of my garage, installed a mini split AC. I’ve had a lot of fun working on my 250f in the AC, along with drinking a few beers along the way. Been known to set in my chair in the garage

I grew up racing in Oklahoma, North Texas and western Arkansas. I only raced a few years, job life got in the way. I still watch MX when I can and ride when I can.

For you older guys that like to tinker and turn wrenches, dirt bikes are the ticket even if you don’t ride at the track anymore.
6/25/2022 10:40am
wwdiii wrote:
One thing I left off in my previous comment. I’m retired in my 60’s and for us that like to turn wrenches, it’s a whole lot...
One thing I left off in my previous comment. I’m retired in my 60’s and for us that like to turn wrenches, it’s a whole lot easier to tinker with a dirt bike that a jacked up 4x4 or hot rod.

Texas is hot, I partitioned off part of my garage, installed a mini split AC. I’ve had a lot of fun working on my 250f in the AC, along with drinking a few beers along the way. Been known to set in my chair in the garage

I grew up racing in Oklahoma, North Texas and western Arkansas. I only raced a few years, job life got in the way. I still watch MX when I can and ride when I can.

For you older guys that like to tinker and turn wrenches, dirt bikes are the ticket even if you don’t ride at the track anymore.
I agree greasing linkages or pulling a bike engine which I hv to do today. But might not because of rain. Is so much easier than working on vehicles. I,m doing both rt now vehicle and bikes. Rebuilding a tbi unit is a pain.
larsen
6/25/2022 11:26am
Last race was 1981, that concluded a 9 year career -which only once got me to the qualifying for national championship. So it wasn't much to brag about, but it was FUN!
I owe incredibly much to my parents, especially my dad, who supported me in all ways possible so that I (we) could have all that fun. They aren't with me anymore, except maybe when I watch a race, then I hope they can see it through my eyes.

I occasionally seek out a race to watch IRL, to let my eardrums get battered (but there are so few two-strokes these days...) and smell the aroma (still too few two-strokes!) And I regularly see myself battling Carlquist or Cairoli in my mind when doing my daily workout. Gotta stay in shape you know, never know when I get a chance for a comeback Smile

I have actually raced Carlquist! It was before his premium days, when he rode an OSSA (Spanish bike.) But even then I really raced him only for a couple of seconds, from the gate and to the first turn...

So you ask, do I actually race? Well, I won't be a reason to raise the blue flag anymore. But I still race!
brocster
6/25/2022 11:55am
Crazy to say but after moving to Ca. 5 years ago I don’t ride as much as I originally intended. Used to be a atleast once a week guy before. Had an accident and surgery that set me back a little but mostly it’s having people to ride with on the regular. Wife is not a fan (me too actually) of me going to the track alone or having people to meet up with.
jbrow125
6/25/2022 12:05pm
47 years old and sold my last bike in 2009 or 10. I hadn't ridden in years to that point, but it was a mistake to sell the last one. It's way easier to fix one up, than convince the wife and babies it's time to get another. Got divorced two years ago, thought long and hard about getting either a road or mx bike this year. Honestly I don't think I'm mentally ready to not kill myself on one, so I didn't. I'll stick to the road and mountain bike for now, maybe forever. Dirt bikes are such beautiful, sexy machines. I love seeing them and miss the feeling. I did not moto as I liked being on the ground, trail riding and a bit of ice racing is all I did. Loved the mud and whooped out sand trails Smile
ProKawi24
6/27/2022 9:51pm
I used to. From age 4 until 12 when I broke my back and was put in this wheelchair for life. Me, Mav, Jemcee, and a few others lets not forget OCScottie may he RIP. I started on a Suzuki JR50, then got a KX60 which I hated. It was too "pipey", you went from no throttle to wide open in a heartbeat. Then my dad got me a used 93 KX80 when I was about 8 or 9. He told me if I could win a race with it he would buy me a brand new bike. Low and behold I won the 1998 Hangtown amateur race and he bought me a brand new 1999 KX80. I loved that bike and only a few months later at the arenacross in Sacramento I won both the 85 7-11 and supermini classes. A guy from Pro Circuit (I don't remember his name) came up to us after the races and offered me a sponsorship. Gave us graphics, hats, shirts, the whole nine. My heros at that time were Nick Wey, Nathan Ramsey, Shea Bentley, and soon Tallon Vohland because he was local so I was thrilled. My bike was as "works" as they come but still lagged behind the Yamaha 80's at the time.

The cool thing is Tallon Vohland actually practiced at my local track Hangtown and Marysville all the time so I would routinely chat with him and ride with him, it was awesome. He even let me ride his 125 in early 2000 when my dad was thinking about moving me up but I was still too short and small. I'll never forget my dad and Tyson adjusting the clutch and front brake levers for me as I sat on the bike with my left leg on the stand so I could hold the bike up. The bike felt so big but had soo much power it was amazing. The uphill double at Hangtown I would have to do 4th gear wide open on my 80 but with his 125 I did it 2nd gear.

Everything changed in August of 2000 when I got the Kawasaki KX85. The bike was sent straight to Mitch at PC to do all the engine work and Bones did the suspension. That bike was a rocket ship. Finally I felt like I could beat all the YZ's and it handled like a dream. That uphill double at Hangtown I used to do in 4th gear wide open I now did in 3rd gear half throttle. I pulled the holeshot at every single race. I raced Supermini against guys on 100's and still beat them along with the schoolboy class full of guys on 125's.

On February 25th, 2001, in Sacramento CA. at arenacross I had a bad accident. I overjumped the catapult finish double by about 10 feet. I made the jump before but I was trying to pass a guy on a Honda because I got a bad start and wanted to get to the front quickly. I landed with throttle wide open to soften the blow but the impact jammed my throttle wide open. By the time I got to the turn I didn't realize I had broken my right wrist and it was stuck with the throttle wide open. By the time I realized this and went to grab the clutch and brakes it was too late. I went over the berm (which caught my bike) but not me. I was sent like a bug in a windshield 20ft out into the cement wall and slammed into it. I had the helmet, a neck brace, chest protector, etc. but the impact was so severe I broke T4 - T9. They made me sit there on a bed for a day for the swelling to go down before surgery. I ended up having rods put in from T-3 to T-10. I also had a broken sternum, I tore my left shoulder all to hell, broke my arm, wrist, and was in ICU for 8 weeks.

I got transported to Shriners Hospital a few weeks later for rehab. I was so pissed off because all they wanted to do was teach me to live life in a wheelchair but all I wanted was to get out of it and get back to racing. Now....I've done every experimental treatment possible, I've done human stem cells, blue shark stem cells, all sorts of crazy shit and nothing has worked. Leg braces, non-stop physical therapy hours and hours every day, but nothing has worked.

It's amazing to me how in today's world you can pretty much beat cancer, there's meds for every STD, you can be cured from damn near everything. But when your paralyzed the only thing you get is "well, here's a chair for you". We have nearly ZERO and I mean NO cure or treatment for paralysis.

I wake up nearly every single night after dreaming about me riding and I'm in tears because I miss it so much. Yeah, we can't go up any stairs, yeah we can't fit into many restaurants because the doors are too narrow, yeah we can't go onto some cruise ships because they have steps and too narrow, yeah we can't bang a hot chick up against the wall like we want to, yeah we can't carry all of our groceries out to the car/truck, but we once used to be bad ass dudes that would wipe the floor with any one of you. Maverick is one of my best friends here because he knows what I'm talking about. Scottie used to be another but he got tired of fighting.

Say what you want about Scottie. He was a damn good person and an excellent friend....but he gave up fighting. Guys like me and Mav are still here fighting. We're both in chairs and deal with the same shit but we keep going and I respect the hell out of Mav for doing so. There's many others in chairs here that come to this website every day because we simply love MX and it's our life. We have so much other shit to deal with and this place is where we can talk to like minded people and feel like we still belong.

Sorry for the whole tangent but I feel like it was warranted. And please....anyone who still rides do NOT take this as a reason to stop. I can promise you any one of us paralyzed would happily jump on a bike given the first chance. We all love riding, that's why we're here. Enjoy it for those of us who can't. If I walked tomorrow the very first thing I would do is buy me a new bike and be out at Hangtown in 2 days, stamp it.

Post a reply to: Who here doesn't actually ride?

The Latest