Who here doesn't actually ride?

AH387
6/23/2022 1:57pm
Well said. As I get older I see more and more dudes get out of riding because of their job, their family, risk of getting hurt...
Well said. As I get older I see more and more dudes get out of riding because of their job, their family, risk of getting hurt etc. Yes work, family and being able to pay bills is important but so is mental and physical health. There's nothing like leaving the track after a good fun day of riding and sleeping like a baby that night. Riding is so therapeutic.
Well said. Getting to go ride really puts me in such a great mood and it's such a cool feeling. That drive home after a day of riding is very good for stress relief and mental health etc. So that's why I never want to stop but also why I am struggling with knowing that riding has to take a little bit of a back seat, at least temporarily.
Micahdogg
6/23/2022 2:17pm
I never raced, but I've been riding since about 10 years old. Having said that, I have entered probably half a dozen hare scrambles, but I don't have any desire to seriously race or get my kids into racing. I do have a serious desire to ride.......anything! Bikes, trikes, quads, vacuum cleaners, whatever. I just really enjoy riding in the dirt.

Being 44 years old with tons of obligations, the best I can do is go on a few camping/trail rides each year. But my friends are all crazy enough that we usually ride REALLY hard. Last year I broke my shoulder blade in half and cracked four ribs. This year I'm making up for all the lost riding. My goal is to never stop riding. And to never stop finding challenge in the riding. I'm going to ride my entire life.
SMR982
6/23/2022 2:18pm
Well said. As I get older I see more and more dudes get out of riding because of their job, their family, risk of getting hurt...
Well said. As I get older I see more and more dudes get out of riding because of their job, their family, risk of getting hurt etc. Yes work, family and being able to pay bills is important but so is mental and physical health. There's nothing like leaving the track after a good fun day of riding and sleeping like a baby that night. Riding is so therapeutic.
AH387 wrote:
Well said. Getting to go ride really puts me in such a great mood and it's such a cool feeling. That drive home after a day...
Well said. Getting to go ride really puts me in such a great mood and it's such a cool feeling. That drive home after a day of riding is very good for stress relief and mental health etc. So that's why I never want to stop but also why I am struggling with knowing that riding has to take a little bit of a back seat, at least temporarily.
Having sat out for about 20 yrs and being back riding since March last year I forgot how much I needed riding as therapy. I ride about 75% as fast I can think I can go much of the time and lots less the other times. My 13 yr old son got me back into riding and spending time with him is priceless at this point. My wife enjoys the friends we have in MX so she tags along half the time.
captmoto
6/23/2022 2:24pm
38special wrote:
Work is important, as it provides for our families. But I would never take a job for the sake of my "career" that meant I could...
Work is important, as it provides for our families. But I would never take a job for the sake of my "career" that meant I could not ride moto.

I also feel having a healthy outlet such as moto makes me a better husband and father. I don't feel the need to be with my family 24x7.

Those are just my priorities, and I'm not saying anybody else's are wrong.
I've always believed that dad's need their own thing, moms and kids too. It keeps things fresh in the family.

The Shop

wwdiii
6/23/2022 2:24pm
This is a good post. Life, age and injuries can get in they of riding and many other things. My job killed a lot of my hobbies, dirt bikes, SCCA road racing, hunting and most of all killed my tournament bass fishing. I haven’t fished competitively in three years.

At 66 and recently retired, one would think I would have all the time in the world. I do have more time, but not as much as I thought. Now there is no excuse when something needs fixing. I can afford to pay to have my pool cleaned or paint a bedroom, but being off work just can’t do that. I just do it myself.

Once this knee heals I’m back to the track, not to get crazy but make a few laps and have some fun. Same for trail riding. I have no interest long Enduros, just want to ride some singles track and stretch my legs.

One thing about it, it’s 102 in South East Texas along with a good dose of humidity. It’s to damn hot to go to the track right now. It will cool down between end of Sept and 3rd week in Oct. Track should still be there!
jtmaster
6/23/2022 2:36pm
Raced MX in the late 80s-early 90s. Graduated college, got a job, got a wife, had a kid and no more time for moto. Didn’t ride for years, got divorced, got laid off, went back to school in my 30s. got a street bike in my mid 30s and got another dirt bike again at 48. Now at 53 I have a KTM250xc, ride a little MX for fun and exercise (no MX racing), ride trails and do a couple hare scrambles in eastern PA each year.
nytsmaC
6/23/2022 2:42pm
Sold my last MX bike yesterday, I haven’t ridden moto since 2018 and haven’t raced since 2016 or 17, suffered some big injuries getting ready for the 2018 race season and that put a hard stop to it. I now have a dual sport and ADV bike, and downhill mountain biking has filled the moto void for the most part. I’ve kept a bike around thinking one day things will click and I’ll want to make it happen but it just hasn’t.

If I had more free time I could see getting back into it but work and life gets in the way. I can’t justify the time commitment to track days anymore when I don’t have a strong enough desire to make the other necessary sacrifices that would be necessary.

That may change one day but likely not any time soon. I’m 40 and there is lots of time left if things change. I do miss it a lot sometimes.
LungButter
6/23/2022 2:43pm
Hell yeah, this thread is proof moto is a "lifetime sport". Pretty cool.

*Other than that, can't contribute much as I'm still at a point of riding 4-5 days a week when their isn't snow. I'm lucky to have an open ORV area that I can ride to from my house and 3-4 private tracks within 30 minutes. Doesn't hurt that my 6 year old is addicted so the Wife is good with it. If I had to spend a bunch on fuel and fees each time I would ride SIGNIFICANTLY less.
peltier626
6/23/2022 4:15pm
The therapeutic aspect is by far the most significant beneficial loss. I enjoy other hobbies but it's hard to replace that adrenaline filled isolation once the helmet was strapped on. It was me, the bike and the track. The worlds problems faded away a few laps at a time.
6/23/2022 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2022 4:54pm
I am old. I am an 80s/90s kid. I am surgically-repaired, multiple times over.

I have not been riding mx except on the practice track for the last few years. I sold off my MX bikes in the pandemic when they were at max value, but I still have dirt bikes. I ride trails, offroad, and playride a lot with my kid. That rules. I throw down a lap sometimes (once every couple months), when I am feeling it.

I cycle a lot. Mostly on the road. I enjoy that nearly as much as my dirt motorcycle. But not quite.

Not sure where that stands.
ns503
6/23/2022 4:36pm
Define 'ride' - lol.

I have only ever moto'd on a real mx track once. Way more a ride than a race. And it was on a national track on national day. And I was over 50. So ya that's my moto history. But my buddies and I chased each other through the woods in our younger days for years. The family was busy trying to grow a farm so getting on a track was not happening. I did scrounge enough money for some Can- Ams. Main riding buddy had a 1980 CR250 for a while - those years were a blast and good memories. Always watched for WWoS on the tube and bought all the mags, and spectated the local races big time. Then life got in the way for decades but always kept the moto bug. Still have some Can-Ams in the basement and got a KLX to go to the woods with when I can find the time. Not often enough but all I need to do is open the basement door and it's immediate trails. Guess I'll take it even though I really get the bug sometimes to get a new MX bike and hit my buddies track with them. But I can't afford to get hurt now. Woohoo And it hurts way much when you're this old. Whistling
MyBobbym
6/23/2022 5:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2022 5:17pm
Riding is dangerous... No way would I ever ride a dirt bike. Yall crazy.
6/23/2022 5:18pm
Just got back into in after 9 years off. Started riding at 21 until 25. Just got back into it and bought a 2019 KTM 250sx with 4 hours on the meter. Super clean. Honestly I'm a little discouraged though (I've only rode twice so far) but I have very little bike control at the moment. I'm hoping I just need more seat time, but I look like a complete beginner. When I stopped riding in 2013 I was a top 5 novice rider (as in I usually would finish in the top 5 at local races)

I think I just need to give up the Moto side of riding and focus on cross country. I can't risk the injuries and I'm damn sure not throwing 50 footers let alone the big hucks.

I wish there were a type of moto that was like berms, rollers, natural terrain jumps. The 100+ foot triple step ups right out of corners..... nah, I'm good.
NewOldSchool
6/23/2022 5:18pm
Don’t ride anymore but did about 30 years ago when I was 10 10 until about 17. Raced C Class and was never really that good but always loved the sport. Always thought I would get another bike throughout the years but never pulled the trigger. Now I ride MTB’s about 3-4 times a week to keep in shape and stay active.
FIREfish148
6/23/2022 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2022 5:46pm
I haven’t really ridden for about 2 years but I still have a bike that I keep at my pops place haha. It’s hard for sure. I make pretty ok money and still can’t seem to find a way to make it fit. I’ve been living single for almost a decade now so I’m sure that doesn’t help with the finances.
I got back into mountain biking in 2016 and it’s definitely helped the two wheel needs but I really miss moto sometimes.
Stewyeww
6/23/2022 5:48pm
Used to ride when I lived in Aus, sold the bike and moved to Canada 8 years ago and have found other hobbies. Nearest track is 4 hrs away, winters are cold, MTB trails are a 5 min ride from my door, still ride a 2 stroke but it i a 850 and is made for deep snow. I still watch most races and visit the forum often to see whats going on.
daemon666
6/23/2022 7:12pm
I haven't ridden since I was 9 years old in 1987. We couldn't afford to move from the italjet 50cc to a 80cc and I just never rode again but I've always been a super fan. My dad had stacks and stacks and stacks of magazines even before I was able to watch a race I would just obsessively read all these magazines.
slowoldman
6/23/2022 7:14pm
Wow, this post really took off! In short, yes, I still ride I guess. I rode this past Sunday after my bike sat for a very long time. I was so worried about getting hurt and ending up in the hospital and getting that Covid crap. I am in my 50’s and currently own a YZ125. I sold my tricked out Four stroke several years back like an idiot, long story there and my wife is still pissed about me selling it. Now, back to riding this past Sunday shall we! Even though I hadn’t ridden in so long, once I hit the track and completed some laps, I felt so much better. All my “first world problems” as my wife refers to them, drifted away. I guess I was going at a pretty good clip for my age, because they never caught back up until I woke up Monday morning. I thought for sure I was going to be walking around in utter soreness, but the only muscles that really were sore were my face muscles. Must have been from all the smiling. 😀. I won’t tell anyone what to do, but if you have something in your life that makes you smile, keep doing it. If it’s legal of course. 😜.

SEEMEFIRST
6/23/2022 7:15pm
I started riding in 1967? Maybe?
Long road then I got my 1st 500. 1984 CR.
By this time I had already blown off MX for off road, but damn! The 5 spot is the shit.

Buried in the bottom? Fug it. 2nd gear whaa out a there.
Still love the sons of bitches.
Pirate421
6/23/2022 7:17pm
This whole thread is great but hurts at the same time. I’m 32 and my bike that I bought new two years ago only has 34 hrs on it. It’s a shame but I don’t have the time to ride as much but I refuse to sell it because I feel like I won’t have the connection to the sport without it. I am trying to get out twice a month but even that’s hard these days with a family and active kid. Feel guilty for taking off for a weekend to go ride by myself, none of my buddies here know anything about dirtbikes so it’s just me. Takes a lot of the fun out of it. Luckily I have Mtb and golf to fall back on when I’m not on call for work.
daemon666
6/23/2022 7:21pm
Pirate421 wrote:
This whole thread is great but hurts at the same time. I’m 32 and my bike that I bought new two years ago only has 34...
This whole thread is great but hurts at the same time. I’m 32 and my bike that I bought new two years ago only has 34 hrs on it. It’s a shame but I don’t have the time to ride as much but I refuse to sell it because I feel like I won’t have the connection to the sport without it. I am trying to get out twice a month but even that’s hard these days with a family and active kid. Feel guilty for taking off for a weekend to go ride by myself, none of my buddies here know anything about dirtbikes so it’s just me. Takes a lot of the fun out of it. Luckily I have Mtb and golf to fall back on when I’m not on call for work.
When I was in 12th grade, so I guess 1990 I had two classmates that had 80cc bikes and I was so jealous heh.
6/23/2022 8:08pm
bvm111 wrote:
i’ll be 49 years old next month (yikes!) and I still serve on active duty status with the US Military and will retire next year. After...
i’ll be 49 years old next month (yikes!) and I still serve on active duty status with the US Military and will retire next year. After multiple deployments in active combat zones I still struggle with PTSD and Moto is the only thing that clears the white noise from my head that so many of us feel that have served in the past 20 years. There is something about prepping my equipment for the track, getting suited up at the track, checking my equipment pre ride, and finally putting the goggles on and clicking my motorcycle into gear that makes it all go away and put a smile on my face!

I will ride MX until I can’t anymore!
do loud noises bother you??

ive heard military people with PTSD can get spooked by fireworks and things of that nature so im curious how you feel about being at any sort of race track. ive spectated at road racing events for cars and motorcycles and those fkn things can be loud as hell

same with a full gate of 4-strokes!
katoom350
6/23/2022 8:10pm
I feel like I do more sitting in the garage drinking beer and staring at my bike than I do ride.
But for real though…I’ve taken several hiatuses off the bike when life gets in the way. Always seem to find my way back though.

Titan1
6/23/2022 10:10pm
41 still ride and race hare and hounds, hare scrambles, enduros when my weekends allow it. I haven’t ever not owned a bike since I was 14…There have been times when I haven’t been able to ride as often, but I’ve always owned a bike.

I feel those that can’t or choose not too…great thread.
Dirt.Squirt
6/23/2022 10:28pm
slowoldman wrote:
Wow, this post really took off! In short, yes, I still ride I guess. I rode this past Sunday after my bike sat for a very...
Wow, this post really took off! In short, yes, I still ride I guess. I rode this past Sunday after my bike sat for a very long time. I was so worried about getting hurt and ending up in the hospital and getting that Covid crap. I am in my 50’s and currently own a YZ125. I sold my tricked out Four stroke several years back like an idiot, long story there and my wife is still pissed about me selling it. Now, back to riding this past Sunday shall we! Even though I hadn’t ridden in so long, once I hit the track and completed some laps, I felt so much better. All my “first world problems” as my wife refers to them, drifted away. I guess I was going at a pretty good clip for my age, because they never caught back up until I woke up Monday morning. I thought for sure I was going to be walking around in utter soreness, but the only muscles that really were sore were my face muscles. Must have been from all the smiling. 😀. I won’t tell anyone what to do, but if you have something in your life that makes you smile, keep doing it. If it’s legal of course. 😜.

“My wife is still pissed about me selling it”

You sir made a very good choice in a mate.

My wife is the same way.
Sully
6/23/2022 10:49pm
I haven't ridden regularly in 35+ years, and haven't even been on a bike since 2013, but I've been obsessed with the sport since I was 8 (1980).
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
6/23/2022 11:18pm
I grew up dirt bike-less because they were "Too dangerous" (Expensive might have been a factor too) Soon as I could buy my own (a 2 year old 1972 SL 70 at age 15) I've owned bikes and ridden quite a bit. We discovered Ocotillo Wells when I graduated in 1977 and started camping and desert riding almost every weekend in winter, and rode the hills behind town when the desert was too hot. Entered my first race at age 34 (Carlsbad) and got hooked on moto. Started doing Saturday REM races at Carlsbad, joined the othg, then the otmx when I turned 40. Between the otmx races and camping / desert riding I was riding 2-3 times a month. When the kids moved out a few years ago I started doing more otmx races and dual sporting on in between weekends. I was riding or racing close to once a week. In 2019 I finally earned a single digit (#9) In 2020 I wound up being the club secretary, which meant I "Had" to go to every race Laughing I caught some shit for missing some family birthdays and functions because I had to help run the show. (I really didn't "Have" to be at every race), my job on race days was just gopher for the most part, set up the finish line banner and ez ups, help set up tables, take $, go track down guys who didn't turn in transponders, help throw all the crap back in the trailer at the end of the day etc. I was hardly critical for the race to run but it made a great excuse as to why I "Had" Laughing to go to every race. I was having a great time. At the end of 2020 I wadded it up and broke a bunch of shit, then had some complications resulting in an inch+ shorter right leg. I sold the MX bike and might ? get into racing again someday. But for now my riding is dual sporting and camping/desert riding with friends and family, and it's no longer the priority that it used to be. Anyway that's my riding history.

While were on the subject, why is it these dirtbikes are like fucking crack ? After over a year and a half of being all fucked up, 6 months in a wheelchair, then a walker and cane, 7 surgeries, sleepless nights worrying if I'll keep my leg, financial and mental stress like I've never known before, countless hours second guessing myself wtf business I had racing a dirt bike in the first place, (it's not like I was any good at it) I have a permanent limp now, have to buy lifts in one shoe, my friends and family think I'm the dumbest fuck to ever live for still wanting to ride, I have lots of reasons to sell every bike in the garage, ..... But the first time I got back on my bike it was like all those bad memories disappeared. After a 1/2 hour back on the bike it felt like I rode last week. All the drama and stress from the last year and a half went away. Goddamn motorcycles.... I wouldn't trade any of it though LaughingLaughingLaughing
This thread makes it clear that once you've ridden a dirtbike it's in your blood, doesn't matter if it was only a few times, or twice a week for years. Once you've experienced that thrill it stays with you a lifetime. Even if it's just the memory of riding, that stoke will always be there. Cool
Richy
6/24/2022 12:25am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2022 8:12am
Rode when I was a kid until 17, MX, MTB and tonnes of BMX, was never that good or competitive but was pretty comfortable on a bike as it's all I really did or cared about.

Started driving at 17, rode BMX for a few more good years now I could get to more new places, and then it was all cars from there. Old BMWs and Nissan's and later a million old VW's.

Got close to grabbing another bike many times, a good mate of mine is a proper ripper (shout out Will on the 819), but never quite pulled the trigger.

A new dude moved into the workshop a couple up from mine, had a Husky TX300, it got stolen along with his kids TC50 which was pretty gutting, so I got talking to him and he turned out to be a good bloke so I went with him a couple of times and that was that.

My girlfriend was super keen too and grabbed a 150sx so I got a tc250 a month or so later. Got a 350sx now and rarely get time to get out, but I'm happy I've got it there and it's sat there waiting for when I can get away from work. Would recommend keeping your bike and some kit handy to anyone who can.
slowoldman
6/24/2022 5:48am
slowoldman wrote:
Wow, this post really took off! In short, yes, I still ride I guess. I rode this past Sunday after my bike sat for a very...

“My wife is still pissed about me selling it”

You sir made a very good choice in a mate.

My wife is the same way.
I hate when she is right and she is always right!!!!! 🙈.

Post a reply to: Who here doesn't actually ride?

The Latest