Who had a more Championship Type Ride in Detroit?

rp031x
Eli Tomac, who looked like the shark again, rearing his ugly head at the perfect time?

or

Cooper Webb, who was clearly not comfortable at this track, but managed to pull off a second place?

GO
Poll

Who had a more Championship Type of Ride in Detroit?

Choices
|
mxbrian15
2/25/2019 8:10am
Tomac for sure. After his terrible race the weekend before, this was a race he absolutely needed to rebound with, and he crushed it. Cooper rode well, for sure, but I expected him to have a better race then what his practice result showed. He’s been quick all year.
TDeath21
2/25/2019 8:11am
Cooper. Not even close. He proved on a terrible day he can still be on the box. That’s trouble for everyone.
Lastander
2/25/2019 8:17am
TDeath21 wrote:
Cooper. Not even close. He proved on a terrible day he can still be on the box. That’s trouble for everyone.
He on dat dunge shit as the kids would say
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
2/25/2019 8:35am
It's hard not to go with the guy who won, but Webb's ability to adapt and improve after sucking in the first race was impressive as well. I just hope it stays close and that the title is decided in Vegas.

The Shop

kb228
2/25/2019 8:42am
TDeath21 wrote:
Tomac made more passes than cooper by far and salvaged the overall to gain 3 points on cooper. Not sure how this is debatable.
Crush
2/25/2019 8:43am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 2:46am
Was cool to see Cooper make a potential bad night good...

But I think we can probably fairly say that's the first time this year we've seen Eli ride like we all know he can. 8 races down, is going to get interesting. 13 points could disappear very fucking quickly.
STLSharky
2/25/2019 8:46am
rp031x wrote:
Eli Tomac, who looked like the shark again, rearing his ugly head at the perfect time? or Cooper Webb, who was clearly not comfortable at this...
Eli Tomac, who looked like the shark again, rearing his ugly head at the perfect time?

or

Cooper Webb, who was clearly not comfortable at this track, but managed to pull off a second place?

GO
pretty dumb q after watching though
psg119
2/25/2019 9:46am
TDeath21 wrote:
I wouldn't call his night bad because he was off pace a little in qualifying and the first main... He figured it out more and more throughout the night... I'd call it more of a normal night. A1 would be more of "championships are won on your bad nights" race. Crash first turn worked back up to fifth was pretty impressive. Or even Glendale whatever happened there. Cooper had a much better night than every other contender Saturday besides Eli if you think about it! haha.
rp031x
2/25/2019 9:59am
Crush wrote:
Was cool to see Cooper make a potential bad night good... But I think we can probably fairly say that's the first time this year we've...
Was cool to see Cooper make a potential bad night good...

But I think we can probably fairly say that's the first time this year we've seen Eli ride like we all know he can. 8 races down, is going to get interesting. 13 points could disappear very fucking quickly.
Yes they could lol. Especially when it's Eli. I agree with you about the way he looked. His win earlier this year wasn't super convincing. This time his pace was scary.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
2/25/2019 10:27am
MPJC wrote:
It's hard not to go with the guy who won, but Webb's ability to adapt and improve after sucking in the first race was impressive as...
It's hard not to go with the guy who won, but Webb's ability to adapt and improve after sucking in the first race was impressive as well. I just hope it stays close and that the title is decided in Vegas.
Even better if all 4 guys (Webb, Tomac, Roczen, Musquin) can stay in the hunt.
BobbyLight
2/25/2019 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 1:16pm
He went back to his OG base setting after the first main and still came away with 2nd. If that is him on a bad day, everyone else is in trouble.

It is interesting how he mentioned before that he loves his base setup except for the whoops. To which he said "ill just ride the darn thing". He has been winning races and been crazy fast on that base setup all year, but he must think there is enough speed left on the table that it's worth messing with. Just imagine how fast he could be if he finds what he is looking for.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/25/2019 2:28pm
If Tomac had won as many events as Webb, then I'd say it was he who had the better ride.

-HOWEVER-

With double the number of wins and a far better record on nights when he did not win to put this weekend's race into context, you have to vote for Webb. I thought he'd end up in 6th or 7th on the night, but when it all got tallied up he salvaged a 2nd place. That's the kind of riding that makes champions. Has Eli even landed on the podium on a night he didn't win? Unless he can do that, odds are not great that he'll be the champion.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
2/25/2019 2:40pm
Falcon wrote:
If Tomac had won as many events as Webb, then I'd say it was he who had the better ride. -HOWEVER- With double the number of...
If Tomac had won as many events as Webb, then I'd say it was he who had the better ride.

-HOWEVER-

With double the number of wins and a far better record on nights when he did not win to put this weekend's race into context, you have to vote for Webb. I thought he'd end up in 6th or 7th on the night, but when it all got tallied up he salvaged a 2nd place. That's the kind of riding that makes champions. Has Eli even landed on the podium on a night he didn't win? Unless he can do that, odds are not great that he'll be the champion.
Tomac has 23 career wins on a 450. He has 24 other podium finishes on a 450.
2/25/2019 3:00pm
CW benefited from the format. If he's riding first race terrible in a normal main hard telling how far back he slips. Suddenly that 2oa is an 8th.
Fonzarelli
2/25/2019 3:28pm
A few good races and everyone is on Webb's nuts. Tomac has been a top contender in 450SX for years, Webb has been a top contender in 450 SX for weeks.

Maybe Webb can keep it up and pull it off but right now Tomac should still be a huge favorite.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
2/25/2019 3:31pm
Fonzarelli wrote:
A few good races and everyone is on Webb's nuts. Tomac has been a top contender in 450SX for years, Webb has been a top contender...
A few good races and everyone is on Webb's nuts. Tomac has been a top contender in 450SX for years, Webb has been a top contender in 450 SX for weeks.

Maybe Webb can keep it up and pull it off but right now Tomac should still be a huge favorite.
Webb has the pedigree as a dominant 250 rider. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is a title contender for the next ~5 years.
2/25/2019 10:28pm
I think now that Tomac has his speed back Webb May throw it away trying to run the pace.. he can’t nust mail it in from here with 8 rounds left
Motofinne
2/25/2019 10:32pm
Tomac did something we've seen more times than what i have fingers on my hands. Blazing fast and a dominant win! That hasn't been enough when he has too many bad days that go horrible for him.
But Cooper did something we haven't seen. He looked so bad after the first "main", i seriously thought he would get 5th overall after the 3 mains. But he almost won even though he had a horrible day!

This was a championship ride from Webb.
CPR
2/26/2019 1:53am
Webb had a more championship style ride but that could have been the ride Tomac needed to turn it around and go on a roll, we shall see!
rp031x
2/26/2019 3:50pm
I'd agree with this. I think Webb still seems to be the guy right now for some reason. Like you said though, Eli could win every race from here on out lol. Never know.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/26/2019 4:41pm
Falcon wrote:
If Tomac had won as many events as Webb, then I'd say it was he who had the better ride. -HOWEVER- With double the number of...

-HOWEVER-

RichieW13 wrote:
Tomac has 23 career wins on a 450. He has 24 other podium finishes on a 450.
We're talking about 2019. He has half as many wins as Cooper Webb this season so far.

I will retract my statement about the "far better" record for nights when he did not win, however; Eli did land on the podium on a night he did not win - twice. Also, Webb's average finish is only a little more than half a position ahead of Tomac's.

Still, for a "Championship" ride, I like to consider nights when a rider isn't on his A game but still reels in a good result.
drt410
2/26/2019 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 4:52pm
100% Webb. He was way off all day. Way off. That first race he was getting passed over n over n over and was somehow able to stop where he was and hang on in 6th until the end. The way he was riding he easily could have dropped well past 10th.

Then goes back n makes some changes and comes out in front. He gets passed, but said himself he used that as his chance to study Tomacs lines and he finishes 2nd.

Then with these new lines he ends up winning the last race... on a day he was WAYYY off. Gets 2nd overall.

Tomac was on all day, BY FAR fastest, and still got horrible starts and struggled to pull that win off. This when he was head over heels fastest and just barely beat Webb on a night he was dragging a metal anchor thru the whoops.
rp031x
2/26/2019 5:14pm
drt410 wrote:
100% Webb. He was way off all day. Way off. That first race he was getting passed over n over n over and was somehow able...
100% Webb. He was way off all day. Way off. That first race he was getting passed over n over n over and was somehow able to stop where he was and hang on in 6th until the end. The way he was riding he easily could have dropped well past 10th.

Then goes back n makes some changes and comes out in front. He gets passed, but said himself he used that as his chance to study Tomacs lines and he finishes 2nd.

Then with these new lines he ends up winning the last race... on a day he was WAYYY off. Gets 2nd overall.

Tomac was on all day, BY FAR fastest, and still got horrible starts and struggled to pull that win off. This when he was head over heels fastest and just barely beat Webb on a night he was dragging a metal anchor thru the whoops.
The last thing you said about Tomac is on point. I never thought to look at it like that. But if he was on it, and still struggled to pull off the win....what happens every time he is not on it? Too early to see but so far Webb has been more consistent technically.
deluxeman
2/26/2019 8:14pm
TDeath21 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Tomac made more passes than cooper by far and salvaged the overall to gain 3 points on cooper. Not sure how this is debatable.
Because Tomac was number 1 qualifier and Webb was 9th. Tomac looked dominant all night and Webb looked like crap. Webb improved every race and Tomac didn’t.

Webb road the struggle bus to Detroit and still Tomac only beat him by 1 point for the overall. I’d say Webb was the big winner here.

Post a reply to: Who had a more Championship Type Ride in Detroit?

The Latest