Who does the BEST suspension tuning for 2002-2007 CR250??

ginger969
Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 1:07pm
Let me know who you have used and why you think they're the best for this chassis! Thanks! Photos never hurt either of the beauts you got Smile
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/4/2019 9:24pm
Considering Factory Connection was involved at the highest level of racing back in those days I'd say most likely them.

ginger969
1/4/2019 9:26pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Considering Factory Connection was involved at the highest level of racing back in those days I'd say most likely them. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/04/315906/s1200_MLaRocco_3.jpg[/img]
Considering Factory Connection was involved at the highest level of racing back in those days I'd say most likely them.

Even to this day? I have had them on the top of my list for sure! Just seeing if they're still known today for CR setups too Smile
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/4/2019 9:48pm
They have years worth of data. The CR's are still the same bikes.

Up here back in those days the Blackfoot Honda team used Tom Morgan Racing as well as RG3. Those could be other valid options.

Bry145
1/4/2019 9:57pm
RG3 did a great job on my 2006 CRF450r. I used the Smart Valves or whatever they are called. I believe the Showa components are the same on the CR.

They make it stiff, even with the C rider spec. If you like it stiff, they may be a good bet. I don't think it ever bottomed in years of riding and racing.

The Shop

Lightning78
1/4/2019 10:26pm
Bry145 wrote:
RG3 did a great job on my 2006 CRF450r. I used the Smart Valves or whatever they are called. I believe the Showa components are the...
RG3 did a great job on my 2006 CRF450r. I used the Smart Valves or whatever they are called. I believe the Showa components are the same on the CR.

They make it stiff, even with the C rider spec. If you like it stiff, they may be a good bet. I don't think it ever bottomed in years of riding and racing.

Never in my life have i ridden a better a CR Showa setu0 than RG3's Smart Valve, for those that dont know, its valving set up like Yamaha's SSS ...In other words rhey change it from a position sensitive valving stack to a speed sensitive stack. Its REALLY good stuff.

My personal experience with Factory Connectiom wasnt very impressive at all. It may have partially been the bike I had their work on which was a 1997 CR250 but given the traits of good suspension action and feel vs stock, it felt very much the same as stock I dont feel the bike had anything to do with the bike at all.

I had a top biller suspension job done by a local to so Cal suspension coming it's been around forever on my 2002 CR250 ( they shall remain nameless and it wasnt Enzo) And to say I was disappointed is a massive understatement I literally think they only change the oil because the bike felt exactly the same as it did before I had the work done but I paid a pretty penny for it and I feel like there are a lot of special companies that really don't do much to your bike even though you pay in excruciating amount of money to have suspension revolving work done they may change the Springs and just change the oil height and give it back to you not every suspension company does this but I'm sure there are quite a few that do and I think that's a bullship thing to do to people because I definitely notice a major difference when a company actually does shim stack valve ing work and when they don't meaning just Springs an oil change including height adjustment
trav389
1/4/2019 10:30pm
I vote for Graeme Brough purely because of the cool shit he did for BlackDiamond’s CR making the KYB kit stuff work on it. Plus everyone who talks about his suspension always seems to have great things to say
H4L
1/5/2019 8:07am
Have experience with PC, FC, Graeme Brough & a local tuner on 02-07 CR2's.. For me FC has the suspension spring / valving combo dialed to work extremely good with this chassis. As mentioned above they have put a lot of R&D on these model CR's & know what works really well. I have yet to ride on a better chassis / suspension combo with an 18 CRF450r being close to it.
1/5/2019 8:13am
Do it yourself and save tons of money, and learn how to tune the bike specifically for you. The suspension on that bike is so easy to work on. In the long run, you'll have better performing suspension on your bike than any shop can provide.

This thread is long but has a ton of information about DIY Valving...
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/327668-diy-04-450-suspension-re-va…

Guy Summarizes all of the valving theory and strategy, and compares to suspension dyno data.
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1124437-dyno-data-%E2%80%93and-wha…
walent215
1/5/2019 8:49am
Bry145 wrote:
RG3 did a great job on my 2006 CRF450r. I used the Smart Valves or whatever they are called. I believe the Showa components are the...

Never in my life have i ridden a better a CR Showa setu0 than RG3's Smart Valve, for those that dont know, its valving set up...
Never in my life have i ridden a better a CR Showa setu0 than RG3's Smart Valve, for those that dont know, its valving set up like Yamaha's SSS ...In other words rhey change it from a position sensitive valving stack to a speed sensitive stack. Its REALLY good stuff.

My personal experience with Factory Connectiom wasnt very impressive at all. It may have partially been the bike I had their work on which was a 1997 CR250 but given the traits of good suspension action and feel vs stock, it felt very much the same as stock I dont feel the bike had anything to do with the bike at all.

I had a top biller suspension job done by a local to so Cal suspension coming it's been around forever on my 2002 CR250 ( they shall remain nameless and it wasnt Enzo) And to say I was disappointed is a massive understatement I literally think they only change the oil because the bike felt exactly the same as it did before I had the work done but I paid a pretty penny for it and I feel like there are a lot of special companies that really don't do much to your bike even though you pay in excruciating amount of money to have suspension revolving work done they may change the Springs and just change the oil height and give it back to you not every suspension company does this but I'm sure there are quite a few that do and I think that's a bullship thing to do to people because I definitely notice a major difference when a company actually does shim stack valve ing work and when they don't meaning just Springs an oil change including height adjustment
Interesting take. I'm also not on the Factory Connection bandwagon although I have rode some bikes with their stuff that i liked... Finding a good suspension shop/ tuner can be tough. I've used/ rode/ owned bikes with probably 10 + different tuners. Ohlins is the best that I've ever rode though and that's was back in the Yz400f era.
Stink Bait
1/5/2019 9:06am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2019 9:07am
Do it yourself and save tons of money, and learn how to tune the bike specifically for you. The suspension on that bike is so easy...
Do it yourself and save tons of money, and learn how to tune the bike specifically for you. The suspension on that bike is so easy to work on. In the long run, you'll have better performing suspension on your bike than any shop can provide.

This thread is long but has a ton of information about DIY Valving...
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/327668-diy-04-450-suspension-re-va…

Guy Summarizes all of the valving theory and strategy, and compares to suspension dyno data.
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1124437-dyno-data-%E2%80%93and-wha…
Exactly what this guy says. If you can spin a wrench you can learn suspension. There are people that will help you get started. Just takes some time and research.
BobPA
1/5/2019 9:11am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
They have years worth of data. The CR's are still the same bikes. Up here back in those days the Blackfoot Honda team used Tom Morgan...
They have years worth of data. The CR's are still the same bikes.

Up here back in those days the Blackfoot Honda team used Tom Morgan Racing as well as RG3. Those could be other valid options.

I always loved those Blackfoot Hondas. Loved watching the Canadian series when I was younger...so much action, and awesome tracks.
Lastander
1/5/2019 9:15am

The suspension is great stock, i bet a revalve for your weight and speed will do just fine, no matter who does it
Mx746
1/5/2019 9:33am
FWIW I had FC RT and MB1 on an 03, the FC felt a little active , MB1 a bit stiff and RT nicely in the middle. Vet mx use.
1/5/2019 9:36am
Graeme Brough did my suspension and I loved it. He doesn’t fool you by doing anything extra. Plus he did so much work with those bikes in that era and he knows them inside and out. Best suspension I ever used.
murph783
1/5/2019 11:08am
I’ve had great luck with FC on those Honda’s. Last one I had was an 07 CRF, and good god that was one of the best handling bikes I ever rode.
For what it’s worth though SSS out of Canada is killer, I’ve had really good luck with them regardless of brand, but I know a buddy of mine had an ‘06 Honda that they did up that handled amazingly.
That chassis is hard to fuck up handling wise though.
kage173
1/5/2019 11:34am
Factory Connection - I had a 2007 CR 250 with FC suspension work. It was awesome.
erik_94COBRA
1/5/2019 11:47am
Really liked the RG3 setup on an 08 CRF450 I had.

Even happier with Enzo on current bikes (2 WP, 1 Showa).
bonseff
1/5/2019 11:52am
JM Racing in Texas did my 03, was smooth like a Cadillac, but I'm a vet, so there's that
1/5/2019 1:07pm
I do my own suspension, but be prepared to do it multiple times until you get your feet underneath you, nice thing about sending your suspension out is it's usually done once and it's pretty close, it's always a good idea if you send yours out to look at location of tuner.

Post a reply to: Who does the BEST suspension tuning for 2002-2007 CR250??

The Latest