Who did Roger DeCoster race against?

kage173
Edited Date/Time 4/17/2020 8:35am
Who were the top guys that he battled with? I know his records and accomplishments but who were the other guys in his era?
|
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
4/11/2020 5:34pm
Pierre Karsmakers
Joel Robert
Torsten Hallman
Ake Jonsson
Gerrit Wolsink

to name a few
HuskyEd
4/11/2020 5:35pm
A long distinguished list.

Willie Bauer
Brad Lackey
Joel Robert
Gerrit Wolsink
Ake Jonsson
Torsten Hallman
Bengt Aberg
John Banks
Torleif Hansen
Andre Malherbe
Heikki Mikkola
Graham Noyce
Jaak van Velthoven
Adolf Weil
Sylvain Goebers
BobbyM
4/11/2020 5:38pm
HuskyEd wrote:
A long distinguished list. Willie Bauer Brad Lackey Joel Robert Gerrit Wolsink Ake Jonsson Torsten Hallman Bengt Aberg John Banks Torleif Hansen Andre Malherbe Heikki Mikkola...

Willie Bauer
Brad Lackey
Joel Robert
Gerrit Wolsink
Ake Jonsson
Torsten Hallman
Bengt Aberg
John Banks
Torleif Hansen
Andre Malherbe
Heikki Mikkola
Graham Noyce
Jaak van Velthoven
Adolf Weil
Sylvain Goebers
And more....

The Shop

kage173
4/11/2020 5:46pm
I'm sure these guys were animals but Brad Lackey is the only one that I have any sense of the talent level.

Was it total domination or did it go back and forth? Were there years that he struggled?
biondo
4/11/2020 5:48pm
HuskyEd wrote:
A long distinguished list. Willie Bauer Brad Lackey Joel Robert Gerrit Wolsink Ake Jonsson Torsten Hallman Bengt Aberg John Banks Torleif Hansen Andre Malherbe Heikki Mikkola...

Willie Bauer
Brad Lackey
Joel Robert
Gerrit Wolsink
Ake Jonsson
Torsten Hallman
Bengt Aberg
John Banks
Torleif Hansen
Andre Malherbe
Heikki Mikkola
Graham Noyce
Jaak van Velthoven
Adolf Weil
Sylvain Goebers
Those were the Days! 1970’s at Carlsbad Gran Prix !! Watched Hiekki mikkola win!
Went and bought a new 1972 husky 250wr
After watching all my Hero’s😎
ATKpilot99
4/11/2020 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2020 5:55pm
kage173 wrote:
I'm sure these guys were animals but Brad Lackey is the only one that I have any sense of the talent level. Was it total domination...
I'm sure these guys were animals but Brad Lackey is the only one that I have any sense of the talent level.

Was it total domination or did it go back and forth? Were there years that he struggled?
DeCoster won his first title in 71 and his 5th and last in 76. Mikkola won in 74, 77, and 78. Graham Noyce in 79 and in DeCoster's final season Andre Malherbe won the title.
ATKpilot99
4/11/2020 6:06pm
olds cool wrote:
Carla?
Carla's first season in the 500 GPs was 1980 DeCoster's final season.
SouthwestMfg
4/11/2020 6:10pm
Ake Johson almost took him down for the title . .
Willie Bauer almost took him down for the title . .
Don't forget his teammate Gerrit Wolsink pushed him all the way to the last race.
Lightning78
4/11/2020 7:04pm
Roger Decoster? ...never heard of her 😂😂😂

Just kidding guys I know hes the man
endurox
4/11/2020 7:48pm
Snoqualmie wrote:
Well, there was this Hannah guy...
Trans AMA
Was it in 78 when Decoster took Hannah out in the air?
keinz
4/12/2020 8:37am
All of them
DC
4/12/2020 10:42am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 10:42am
Don't forget his Trans-AMA competition, as he won that series every year from 1974 to '77...

Bob Hannah
Marty Smith
Brad Lackey
Jim Pomeroy
Tony DiStefano
Jimmy Weinert
Pierre Karsmakers
Rex Staten
Danny LaPorte
Chuck Sun
Tommy Croft
Steve Stackable
Gaylon Moser
Gary Jones and more...

Plus European visitors Adolf Weil, Heikki Mikkola, Gerrit Wolsink, Sylvain Geboers, Willie Bauer, Graham Noyce, Akira Watanabe...

Add it all up and DeCoster likely faced the stiffest competition of anyone ever because he raced two fronts, U.S. and Europe, for much of the seventies.

DC
Racer X

Bearuno
4/12/2020 10:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 10:41pm
Don't forget the 60s, DC. He got a Gold Medal in the ISDT in 64, started GPs around the mid 60s and won his first 500 GP in 68.

I always like Hannahs 'verbal' about modern day riders thinking they are so much better than Roger ( and, well, other great riders of yesteryear) - it goes along the lines as they are kidding themselves. Hannah's description of his battle with the 'old man' at the 78 Unadilla Trans AMA is a classic - wish I could find the picture of his crushed pipe, care of the 'old man' - others here will have it to hand.

The Man has done so much for Motocross - especially US Motocross, yet, still each year, since the US Team has stopped winning the MXDN : and they Will, again - I read a few drongos here wanting rid of Roger....... cretins.
4/13/2020 7:54am
Gerrit Wolsink , his teammate at Suzuki was runner up twice in 76 and 79 ...
and he was 3rd in the 75 and 77 championship , not that bad result for a dentist
won GP Carlsbad 5 times in 6 years ... true legend in dutch MX

maicocd
4/13/2020 7:58am
Snoqualmie wrote:
Well, there was this Hannah guy...
endurox wrote:
Trans AMA
Was it in 78 when Decoster took Hannah out in the air?
Yes...It was definitely at the 1978 Trans-Am at Unadilla... I was there and standing in the exact spot where the collision between Hannah and Decoster happened with my Dad and brother.

I was 9 years old at the time, and between it being 42 years ago now and me being so young- maybe someone else there can confirm or add some additional details but here is what I recall:

Hannah and Decoster were going at it extremely hard that moto... They were so close in and out of turns together that you almost got the feeling that something was going to happen. And it did...

They were both coming up the hill before gravity cavity (the one that usually got deep ruts the size of a car).
You usually got a little bit of air at the top of the hill with a short straightaway before making the right turn down gravity cavity.
Decoster and Hannah both crested the top of the hill together (which was when they first came into sight).

The collision occurred in the mad dash between the top of the hill and the corner to head down gravity cavity.
Between the transition of being airborne at the top of the hill and to be the first one into the turn, NEITHER gave so much as in inch to the other.
The result was both of them colliding and going down before the turn. The place was going absolutely nuts.
I can hardly remember even seeing Hannah after the crash as he was up and gone what seemed to be instantaneously.
Decoster- meanwhile- did not appear be or act hurt at all, but just took a couple more seconds then Hannah to make sure his bike could even be ridden.
What was even worse is that my Dad had an 8mm camera in his hand and decided to stop recording what would have been a motocross treasure for the ages... (and perhaps Dad was just too caught up in the battle going on to bother trying to record, so I'll cut him some slack!!)

Although I was only 9, I had been to the previous few Trans-Ams at Unadilla and I knew that DeCoster was the absolute best.. I even remember my parents explaining he was from Belgium and I was not only shocked to learn that he was not from the USA, but was also absolutely clueless as to where the hell Belgium was or that it even existed...!! (I was just a dumb kid I guess...LoL!!)
At that point, it was just a mind-blower to me that anybody else could ever challenge Decoster like that.

To this day, I still count myself lucky to have seen DeCoster in his prime at Unadilla.

davistld01
4/13/2020 8:14am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2020 8:15am
I was shocked when I read the first post...but then again, I forget how old I am...and how young a huge percentage of members here are! Oh well...

Roger was a machine, and a gentleman. I had the opportunity to meet him at a Trans-AM race at Rio Bravo MX Park in Houston, TX in the early 70's. I was introduced by Wyman Priddy, who was at the time riding for Team Kawasaki, and was instrumental in getting me started racing since my parents could not come close to affording it. Long story...but I was totally fanboying Roger in his black custom Hallman leathers with Belgian colored stripes on the side and the pristine yellow Suzuki jersey. I was completely in awe of him, and asked him a ton of really stupid questions I'm sure...and he showed much graciousness and patience by answering each one in that cool (I thought) Belgian accent.

Roger DeCoster will always be my hero. He was just larger than life, and carried himself as a cool Euro-Gent and professional.

4/13/2020 12:24pm
Arnold Schwarzenegger used to be a huge decoster fan. Used to fly to Ohio to watch Roger race at Honda hills. That track sound familiar to anyone?
cz2crf2wc
4/14/2020 2:48pm
Anyone and everyone for 15 years that was brave enough to line up on the same gate as him.
Dropbear
4/14/2020 3:23pm
Basically everyone across 3 era’s.
CivBars
4/14/2020 6:27pm
The Man. When is his documentary coming out?
Bearuno
4/14/2020 8:22pm
CivBars wrote:
The Man. When is his documentary coming out?
I'm a bit torn on putting this up - You / We should buy (well, I've bought 2 sets of the first season - can't seem to get the 2nd season, which is a bummer) the DVDs from The MX Files.

But, here's a link : https://youtu.be/I7lXKPZ_jpk .

Go buy these sets - they are fantastic!
linker48x
4/16/2020 11:10am

Take a look at https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/DeLaveaga-Park-Santa-Cru…

About 2/3 of the way down in this thread, there is a poster for the Santa Cruz Inter Am, listing the riders in this 1968 race. Hallman, Robert, Teuwissen, Bickers, Hansen, Hammargren, Wade, Valek, Konecny, Karsmakers, Aberg.
This was a great race to watch, and I was there, it was cool. What talent!

The list of guys DeCoster beat, starting in 1968, and extending through the 70's, is impressive to say the least--and he didn't win this day, Aberg and Robert did. DeCoster got a second in 250 and a third in 500--imagine, racing both classes in 45 minute motos.

kage173
4/16/2020 12:24pm
Bearuno wrote:
I'm a bit torn on putting this up - You / We [i]should [/i] buy (well, I've bought 2 sets of the first season - can't...
I'm a bit torn on putting this up - You / We should buy (well, I've bought 2 sets of the first season - can't seem to get the 2nd season, which is a bummer) the DVDs from The MX Files.

But, here's a link : https://youtu.be/I7lXKPZ_jpk .

Go buy these sets - they are fantastic!
This is awesome thanks.

Post a reply to: Who did Roger DeCoster race against?

The Latest