Whiskey Throttle - Brian Lunniss

SWMX
8/17/2019 10:16pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2019 6:59am
Thoughts from his comments on De Coster?
|
Moto520
8/17/2019 10:55pm
It’s a great podcast.
hamncheeze
8/18/2019 5:20pm
It's a great listen, but Lunniss has never been shy about fluffing himself. His comments on Roger D were a bit of sour grapes, and it seems like he ran into the same "issues" at Yamaha as well. No disrespect to Brian here, just that he's a winner and has an ego, and Decoster is a winner and has an ego so there's bound to be some conflict.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
8/18/2019 5:25pm
Cliff notes for those of us that didn't listen? Usually listen to PODs driving to work but summer time ride my motorcycle to work so falling behind as only listen on rainy days
8/18/2019 5:35pm
Haven't listened yet, but was so stoked to see he was on this week! Was not surprised to see it's a 4hr show....

the podcast he did with Matthes several years ago is nearly 3hrs, and is absolutely in my Top 5 favorite PulpMX podcasts ever. Dude has some amazing stories to tell - and as was mentioned, doesn't sugar coat things. Can't wait to listen to this....

The Shop

swtwtwtw
8/18/2019 6:39pm
Nutshell: decoster would take credit for other peoples work.

Kudos to Ping for having, IMO, the best historical interview format out there in podcast land. And GL sober is quite a good partner.
8/18/2019 6:49pm
hamncheeze wrote:
It's a great listen, but Lunniss has never been shy about fluffing himself. His comments on Roger D were a bit of sour grapes, and it...
It's a great listen, but Lunniss has never been shy about fluffing himself. His comments on Roger D were a bit of sour grapes, and it seems like he ran into the same "issues" at Yamaha as well. No disrespect to Brian here, just that he's a winner and has an ego, and Decoster is a winner and has an ego so there's bound to be some conflict.
Great podcast, legend in the sport, and yeah a bit of ego there. Rags on Roger for stealing other people's thunder, then personally takes credit for RJ's busted wheel in '82. Whistling
cable
8/18/2019 6:55pm
Haven't listened yet, but was so stoked to see he was on this week! Was not surprised to see it's a 4hr show.... the podcast he...
Haven't listened yet, but was so stoked to see he was on this week! Was not surprised to see it's a 4hr show....

the podcast he did with Matthes several years ago is nearly 3hrs, and is absolutely in my Top 5 favorite PulpMX podcasts ever. Dude has some amazing stories to tell - and as was mentioned, doesn't sugar coat things. Can't wait to listen to this....
this one is better. one of my top 3.
Ted722
8/19/2019 1:30am
Vietnam Veteran with a heck of a career during the heyday of motocross. The variety of riders he tuned for was one heck of a list. Cool stories about his career after moto as well. Great listen.
8/19/2019 2:03am
swtwtwtw wrote:
Nutshell: decoster would take credit for other peoples work. Kudos to Ping for having, IMO, the best historical interview format out there in podcast land. And...

Kudos to Ping for having, IMO, the best historical interview format out there in podcast land. And GL sober is quite a good partner.
Has Langston got a drink problem? First I've heard of it.
Crossup
8/19/2019 10:24am
Being an old school'r, I appreciate any insight into the pre-1980's pro moto scene. Lunniss didn't pull any punches when it came to Decoster, Suzuki management, or other topics. I think if you are a winner and are driven like he is, you earn a lot of latitude in your opinions.

That was one of their best podcasts ever. Between Lunniss and the Troy Lee/Mitch Payton podcasts, they have me hooked.

Crossup
8/19/2019 10:30am
swtwtwtw wrote:
Nutshell: decoster would take credit for other peoples work. Kudos to Ping for having, IMO, the best historical interview format out there in podcast land. And...

They are running the podcast from at the Troy Lee / Whiskey Throttle bar, so they are pouring beer the entire show. Langston tips a few more than ping or the guests. I think on the Twitch Stenberg show and during the show dedicated to his career, he was slurring words and couldn't keep on topic. All in good fun.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
8/19/2019 10:52am
swtwtwtw wrote:

Moto Mofo
8/19/2019 11:10am
Did they discuss him talking Kiedrowski into retirement at the end of 1995? MX Kied has some interesting comments on that matter in his recent interview with Pulp.
crowe176
8/19/2019 12:02pm
And Mike Craig can’t read.
KHI Guy
8/19/2019 3:10pm
My 1st thought: Four hours, that is going to be a long listen.

My 2nd thought: That four hours went quick.
honda907
8/19/2019 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2019 3:41pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
Did they discuss him talking Kiedrowski into retirement at the end of 1995? MX Kied has some interesting comments on that matter in his recent interview...
Did they discuss him talking Kiedrowski into retirement at the end of 1995? MX Kied has some interesting comments on that matter in his recent interview with Pulp.
Yes, Brian talked about Mike and working for Mike and the pay structure and Mike calling Brian to work for him. Very informative.

Didnt want to talk about Roger. Opened his mouth then said politics, still there with Rodger to this day! Then said no more.

Rodger must be a very, very powerful man.
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
8/19/2019 3:57pm
My only complaint was they rushed through RJs peak. They really didn’t discuss 86 through his 89 Injury. Otherwise, great show. We all know Roger is Roger. Remember he didn’t visit Izzi after his heel injury and shut him out. He’s still the Man but even Legends like him are not all perfect. He liked you or he didn’t. He’s still “The Man”.
philG
8/20/2019 12:48am
Ping has a beef with folk that dont go to see the President , as its an honour , it disrespects the Office.. but turning down the chance to go rep your country, so you might get to meet the president , thats OK..
mxmaniac
8/20/2019 12:53am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2019 12:56am
hamncheeze wrote:
It's a great listen, but Lunniss has never been shy about fluffing himself. His comments on Roger D were a bit of sour grapes, and it...
Great podcast, legend in the sport, and yeah a bit of ego there. Rags on Roger for stealing other people's thunder, then personally takes credit for...
Great podcast, legend in the sport, and yeah a bit of ego there. Rags on Roger for stealing other people's thunder, then personally takes credit for RJ's busted wheel in '82. Whistling
I took the wheel comment as in -Honda as a team were to blame for the busted production wheel due to the pressure they put RJ under.
Talisker
8/20/2019 4:35am
Lunniss defenently has the street cred. You have to admire someone who’s not afraid to call out, not only Decoster and Honda, but HRC.
dnf736
8/20/2019 7:31am
There needs to be a part 2 with him, that pod could have easily gone on for another hour.
philG
8/20/2019 11:54am
I dont like Ping.. well i say i dont like him.. i dunno, i dont share his views on a lot of things, but after listening to the Bailey Pod, i had to hear the Lunnis one, the format is so different to the Pulp Show, it doesnt cross over at all.. loads of old ones to listen to now. Lunniss's tales of Hannah made me see him in a different light, for sure.. still an hour to go , 3 hours flew.
8/20/2019 11:59am
I listened to my first Whisky throttle pod today- the Lunniss one, all thanks to this thread.

I was super keen to hear the tales of the Bradshaw years & for sure that was cool, but I was more so taken by the Hannah era. The story about the yellow Ferrari as a bonus was super cool!

I finished that and then started the Emig one.
Crossup
8/20/2019 2:17pm
I listened to my first Whisky throttle pod today- the Lunniss one, all thanks to this thread. I was super keen to hear the tales of...
I listened to my first Whisky throttle pod today- the Lunniss one, all thanks to this thread.

I was super keen to hear the tales of the Bradshaw years & for sure that was cool, but I was more so taken by the Hannah era. The story about the yellow Ferrari as a bonus was super cool!

There are a couple of WT podcasts that I thought were good that you might want to check out.

- Troy Lee and Friends (I laughed so hard my wife had to check on me.)

- Ryan Hughes

- Grant Langston

One that I was not able to make it past 5 minutes was Ronnie Mac (so lame)
8/20/2019 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2019 7:16pm
I listened to my first Whisky throttle pod today- the Lunniss one, all thanks to this thread. I was super keen to hear the tales of...

Personally, I felt the Whiskey Throttle pod with Lunniss (although still a great listen!) was just a more drawn out version of the one Lunniss did with Matthes. (Ping, GREAT call getting Lunnis for this one!!) For sure, he spent way more time in the Hannah era on this one.... but all the note worthy stories (and more, IMO) are captured in this two hour pod: https://racerxonline.com/2013/12/03/btosports-racer-x-podcast-brian-lun…
PTshox
8/20/2019 2:35pm
I really enjoyed this one. He has a lot of knowledge to share.
8/20/2019 2:44pm
philG wrote:
I dont like Ping.. well i say i dont like him.. i dunno, i dont share his views on a lot of things, but after listening...
I dont like Ping.. well i say i dont like him.. i dunno, i dont share his views on a lot of things, but after listening to the Bailey Pod, i had to hear the Lunnis one, the format is so different to the Pulp Show, it doesnt cross over at all.. loads of old ones to listen to now. Lunniss's tales of Hannah made me see him in a different light, for sure.. still an hour to go , 3 hours flew.
What's not to like about Ping? I think he's a cool dude.
MudRider1
8/21/2019 12:49pm
crowe176 wrote:
And Mike Craig can’t read.
Jeez. He even said it was all about motocross and didn't go to school at all.

Reminds me of when DMXS radio did a "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" with Christian Craig while at Loretta Lynns.
That left me thinking damn, has this kid ever been to school?

Now it all makes sense.
chuckie108
8/21/2019 1:10pm
I thought it was interesting that he pretty much put across that he was the driving factor behind the success of his riders, except with Hannah. There his tone was just pure respect. Many hero's and legends in our sport, but there's only been one Bob Hannah.
dpingree101
8/21/2019 6:25pm
Personally, I felt the Whiskey Throttle pod with Lunniss (although still a great listen!) was just a more drawn out version of the one Lunniss did...
Personally, I felt the Whiskey Throttle pod with Lunniss (although still a great listen!) was just a more drawn out version of the one Lunniss did with Matthes. (Ping, GREAT call getting Lunnis for this one!!) For sure, he spent way more time in the Hannah era on this one.... but all the note worthy stories (and more, IMO) are captured in this two hour pod: https://racerxonline.com/2013/12/03/btosports-racer-x-podcast-brian-lun…
Classy.

Post a reply to: Whiskey Throttle - Brian Lunniss

The Latest