While the 450 guys were on the podium...

Related:
Create New Tag

2/11/2020 4:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2020 4:12 PM

Nick Wey was out walking through the whoops, shooting photos and video so that he could use them to help coach Adam for future races. It's all part of the learning process.

Photo

|

2/11/2020 6:21 PM

What makes a guy like Wey such an exceptional coach? He had a long career but never got near Adam’s level or results. How does he have advice to give? More knowledge than skill?

|

2/11/2020 6:23 PM

rehan53 wrote:

What makes a guy like Wey such an exceptional coach? He had a long career but never got near Adam’s level or results. How does he have advice to give? More knowledge than skill?

experience.

|

2/11/2020 6:35 PM

How many races have you seen Mrs Carmichael win ? About as many as Mrs Millsaps . They seem to do ok with coaching .

|

A big Thank you to FLY racing. OMA KTM. 100%. DT-1 Motorex and Bell helmets . Racing for you JG96

2/11/2020 6:35 PM

Just like a boxer or ufc coach can 'teach' someone that can kick their a**, its about seeing things, and explaining them so pupil understands, and incorporates.

|

2/11/2020 6:40 PM

OR Racer46 wrote:

How many races have you seen Mrs Carmichael win ? About as many as Mrs Millsaps . They seem to do ok with coaching .

Or Aldon. Or 90% of the top trainers today.

|

2/11/2020 6:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2020 6:43 PM

Nick is an intelligent guy who seems to keep learning the sport of SX. Combo that with his lifetime of race experience and communication skills = good coach.

|

United States of America

2/11/2020 6:48 PM

Now the question must be asked... Why were you out in the whoops?!

|

2/11/2020 7:07 PM

rehan53 wrote:

Well knowing nick personally and have worked around him while he is training at the track with his riders, yes he has a lot of advice to give and is constantly helping his guys improve. Also he has plenty of skill along with his knowledge

|

2/11/2020 7:41 PM

rehan53 wrote:

You guys are a bunch of shit heads with the thumbs downs. I like Nick. This was me complimenting him and genuinely asking a question.

|

2/11/2020 7:42 PM

rehan53 wrote:

Those that can't, teach!
Deal with it.
For life.

|

2/11/2020 7:44 PM

rehan53 wrote:

rehan53 wrote:

You guys are a bunch of shit heads with the thumbs downs. I like Nick. This was me complimenting him and genuinely asking a question.

Photo
|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

2/11/2020 7:46 PM

rehan53 wrote:

rehan53 wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote: Photo

Going to go kill myself. See ya.

|

2/11/2020 7:48 PM

rehan53 wrote:

Take me with you.

|

2/11/2020 7:51 PM

I think that the dirt needs to be harder to deal with the more powerful bikes. The ruts and broken down whoops take away from the racing prowess and battles. Just my opinion

|

2/11/2020 7:57 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote: Photo

rehan53 wrote:

Leedle wrote:

Take me with you.

Say hi to Elvis for me.

|

2/11/2020 8:03 PM

It seems like Wey has helped Adam big time.

Nick was a great pro and very professional. I would expect that the biggest help he has given Adam is in his mental game.

|

2/11/2020 8:04 PM

rehan53 wrote:

Its not just about experience (while that is important). Often talent can be on the biggest crutches for some athletes which ultimately hinders their progression to what they could become. Some guys that were less talented (Wey), had to work harder, ride smarter, and be "more crafty" in their race craft as opposed to simply relying on their talent level. That's Nick. At the level these guys are riding at, talent alone won't cut it in this day and age. It takes talent, hard work, training, diet, and race craft to excel. Same thing applies to some of the best players in the NFL and the best coaches in the NFL. The best players are rarely the best coaches and often the best coaches were not great players.

|

2/11/2020 8:27 PM

rehan53 wrote:

The " teaching " doesn't always need to come from someone with " more experience " on a dirt bike. Take Colleen Millsapps and Aldon Baker for example. I myself did a lot of coaching back in the mid to later 2000's , and some of that coaching was with guy's that would make me look stupid slow on a track. "Seeing and watching " what they do , how they are doing it , and maybe finding little things they are doing wrong , can help tremendously.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

2/11/2020 8:27 PM

It's too bad these threads get derailed the way they do. I'm glad to see Wey still passionate about the sport and trying to help others be better riders. Adam is one of my favorites out there, and I think Wey can probably help him be even better.

|

2/11/2020 8:41 PM

rehan53 wrote:

Coaching and riding are two different skills. Being good at one doesn’t necessarily translate to the other.

|

2/11/2020 9:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/12/2020 6:07 AM

Nick should also teach riders how to market themselves and how to take care of their sponsors. Nic didnt win any championships but he was still making 7 figures $$$ to the end of his career so the guy is a genius in my book. cool

|

Ed Johnson

2/11/2020 9:39 PM

Nick Wey hauled ass! You don't ride for Procircuit if your slow or lazy. Look how many years he raced at a very high level.

|

2/11/2020 10:29 PM

OR Racer46 wrote:

TymeMoto wrote:

Or Aldon. Or 90% of the top trainers today.

Photo

Oh the whole ideal racing weight theory in combination with peakform ( in motocross these days ) also comes from thoroughbred / greyhound racing... but, he what do I know 🤠
|

2/11/2020 10:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2020 10:48 PM

aeffertz wrote:

Now the question must be asked... Why were you out in the whoops?!

Me? I had to run back to the photo den to grab my audio/video recording setup before heading to the podium, and then the press conference. I carry a lot of junk around. smile

|

2/11/2020 10:52 PM

rehan53 wrote:

I'm guessing a large portion of it for Adam is Nick's calm and level-headed demeanor. The fact that he's a bad dude on a dirt bike is a bonus.

|

2/11/2020 11:17 PM

I don't know what I'm more jealous of, Adam's abilities on a motorbike or how much he gets to hang out with Nick Wey..

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

2/12/2020 2:43 AM

To people doubting experience, look at guys like Kyle Chisholm, or current Chad Reed
#chizgonnachiz

|

2/12/2020 3:29 AM

Vital gonna vital.

|

2/12/2020 3:48 AM

rehan53 wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:

Its not just about experience (while that is important). Often talent can be on the biggest crutches for some athletes which ultimately hinders their progression to what they could become. Some guys that were less talented (Wey), had to work harder, ride smarter, and be "more crafty" in their race craft as opposed to simply relying on their talent level. That's Nick. At the level these guys are riding at, talent alone won't cut it in this day and age. It takes talent, hard work, training, diet, and race craft to excel. Same thing applies to some of the best players in the NFL and the best coaches in the NFL. The best players are rarely the best coaches and often the best coaches were not great players.

Not sure that I would say Wey was less talented. When he came on the scene in the 125 class, he was a force to be reckoned with, things just didnt work out like alot of thec"next big things". He was a bad ass for sure.

|