Which way is this rider whipping?

aeffertz
Edited Date/Time 10/19/2019 6:58am

Need to settle a debate. Not a trick question or trick photo.
Poll

He is whipping to the

Choices
|
Mr. Afterbar
10/8/2019 6:40pm
I'm absolutely stunned that anybody considers this whipping to the left. Educate yourselves.
ctbale
10/8/2019 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 6:45pm
I could see left. But gunna have to vote right.

Is this also a "cross-up" ...... or a "Decoster" ? Smile
jemcee
10/8/2019 6:46pm
Haha this is vital/ the world in a nutshell

The Shop

Hman144
Fantasy
714th
10/8/2019 7:29pm
Good Lord we dive into some insipid stuff on this board don't we? How many days until MEC again?
bvm111
10/8/2019 7:56pm
You whip the bike... or even your butt when doing sweet butt whips, so in other words in that picture you are whipping to the right.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
10/8/2019 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2019 8:05pm
Slapaho here

That's definitely whipping to the right. Not sure how that could be mistaken....
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
10/9/2019 5:25am
To the left...
To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right

This is whipping to the right. In the end last piece of the sequence he's whipped like 50° to the right.

I had this argument before.
And I won it. One of my proudest victories
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
10/9/2019 5:31am
The ones who vote "Left" are the real, true, faithful die-hard Vitards....jus saying..
kb228
10/9/2019 5:42am
crusty_xx wrote:
To the left... To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right This is...
To the left...
To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right

This is whipping to the right. In the end last piece of the sequence he's whipped like 50° to the right.

The rear of the bike is being whipped out to the left in your pic.

Its being whipped to the right in the OP’s pic
ElliotB16
10/9/2019 5:53am
He goes left, bike goes right, this thread goes to the dumbgeon
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
10/9/2019 6:01am
crusty_xx wrote:
To the left... To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right This is...
To the left...

kb228 wrote:
The rear of the bike is being whipped out to the left in your pic.

Its being whipped to the right in the OP’s pic
Well it's a matter of definition I guess.

Obviously the rear of Dungeys bike goes to the left. But the rider is facing to the right.
AH387
10/9/2019 7:18am
Lean left, whip left. The progression of the bike is going left. To me, the direction of the rear of the bike is meaningless as the whip follows the direction of the bike, which in this case is left. My opinion.
10/9/2019 7:33am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2019 7:48am
Well, technically speaking, this is axial rotation or, more specifically, Euler rotation.

If this were being compared to an airplane's Euler rotation (a fair analogy), the plane, in this case, would be rolled to the left (negative), with negative yaw (tail end pitched forward). If it were being rolled to the right with positive yaw, the ass end would be facing to the left and forward from it's original starting point.

In conclusion: the bike has a negative roll (to the left) and negative yaw (ass-end pitched forward from it's original starting point). Just think of this as a gyroscope.

Just imagine you have a gyroscope in your hand. In order to mimic what's happening in this picture, you would roll the gyroscope to the left and pitch it forward.

You can go ahead and close this thread now.
zehn
10/9/2019 7:55am
Well, technically speaking, this is axial rotation or, more specifically, Euler rotation. [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Eulerangles.svg/300px-Eulerangles.svg.png[/img] If this were being compared to an airplane's Euler rotation (a fair analogy)...
Well, technically speaking, this is axial rotation or, more specifically, Euler rotation.

If this were being compared to an airplane's Euler rotation (a fair analogy), the plane, in this case, would be rolled to the left (negative), with negative yaw (tail end pitched forward). If it were being rolled to the right with positive yaw, the ass end would be facing to the left and forward from it's original starting point.

In conclusion: the bike has a negative roll (to the left) and negative yaw (ass-end pitched forward from it's original starting point). Just think of this as a gyroscope.

Just imagine you have a gyroscope in your hand. In order to mimic what's happening in this picture, you would roll the gyroscope to the left and pitch it forward.

Hur dur the rear tire is going to the right.

I tried to explain this axial approach earlier (albeit not as sophisticatedly as you) and got downvoted to hell. Don’t try to get too far with this
10/9/2019 8:00am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2019 8:01am
zehn wrote:
Hur dur the rear tire is going to the right. I tried to explain this axial approach earlier (albeit not as sophisticatedly as you) and got...
Hur dur the rear tire is going to the right.

I tried to explain this axial approach earlier (albeit not as sophisticatedly as you) and got downvoted to hell. Don’t try to get too far with this
If people want to live in an overly-simplistic, one-dimensional world, that's cool with me, I guess.
10/9/2019 9:27am
To whip like that the rider has to lean off to the left side. He is whipping to the left. Anyone saying that is to the right can’t whip
aeffertz
10/9/2019 10:01am
Well, technically speaking, this is axial rotation or, more specifically, Euler rotation. [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/Eulerangles.svg/300px-Eulerangles.svg.png[/img] If this were being compared to an airplane's Euler rotation (a fair analogy)...

Not a fair analogy. The rider and bike are not a single rigid object, they move independently from each other. Your body is leaning left to whip the bike to the right.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
10/9/2019 10:09am
I'm absolutely stunned that anybody considers this whipping to the left. Educate yourselves.
Whipping to the left or right is the direction you are leaning.
owndjoo852
10/9/2019 10:09am
lol, back end is the direction of the whip. You can whip the bike the same direction with opposite bar inputs. Scrub style vs. pancake style. Bikes use counter-steering, so turn left, bike go right, it's just the way whips have always been described. IMO. You're "throwing" the back of the bike to that side, not turning the front the other way.
aeffertz
10/9/2019 10:21am
owndjoo852 wrote:
lol, back end is the direction of the whip. You can whip the bike the same direction with opposite bar inputs. Scrub style vs. pancake style...
lol, back end is the direction of the whip. You can whip the bike the same direction with opposite bar inputs. Scrub style vs. pancake style. Bikes use counter-steering, so turn left, bike go right, it's just the way whips have always been described. IMO. You're "throwing" the back of the bike to that side, not turning the front the other way.
Exactly.

Furthermore, left and right is always dictated by the rider’s left and right side. Picture the bike kicking out to the side going down a rough straight away. If the rear wheel kicks out to the right side, we all know which way it went right? Why would you change the fundamentals of direction just because he’s jumping?
Mr. Afterbar
10/9/2019 10:29am
Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike is whipped from the center point (your front wheel since you don't whip the front end). This is so preposterously stupid. Amazed that that people could think this way. Ask anybody pro (or person with a brain) this question and you'll be proven wrong.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
10/9/2019 10:51am
Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike...
Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike is whipped from the center point (your front wheel since you don't whip the front end). This is so preposterously stupid. Amazed that that people could think this way. Ask anybody pro (or person with a brain) this question and you'll be proven wrong.
Well, i was a pro, and everyone i ever talked to referred to it this way..so...i guess agree to disagree?
10/9/2019 10:51am
Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike...
That makes sense if you’ve only ever watched other people whip.
jeffro503
10/9/2019 10:53am
Not sure why my post was deleted? Anyways , voted for it being a right handed whip.
fatpurplepanda
Fantasy
2816th
10/9/2019 10:55am
We aren't evaluating the direction of the rider lean , bar turn, perspective of the image, etc. We are simply looking at the direction of the whip of the motorcycle. It's to the right; Simple. As an engineer ,I refuse to even play this game.
AH387
10/9/2019 11:05am
That makes sense if you’ve only ever watched other people whip.
That is sort of my view also. You don't jump and push the rear to the right (based of of supplied image). Everything about the motion of the bike is pulling left, therefore I consider it whipping to the left. The body of the bike follows the direction that you are guiding it. In this case, it is left.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/9/2019 11:12am
Hmmmm. This one depends on your perception. As a rider, I would say "to the left," since that is the direction of travel he is initiating to do the whip. Then again, a casual viewer would view the rear tire going to the right, so I can see the majority's point.
I consider this "left," however.

Like the discussions about seat bouncing and double vs. triple, I don't think this is going to get solved on Vital. Sad

Post a reply to: Which way is this rider whipping?

The Latest