Which way is this rider whipping?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/9/2019 4:54 PM

crusty_xx wrote:

To the left...
To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right

This is whipping to the right. In the end last piece of the sequence he's whipped like 50° to the right.

Photo

I had this argument before.
And I won it. One of my proudest victories

Meister wrote:

You're a disgrace to your screen name.

crusty_xx wrote:

ok Meister

You lost the argument before and you’re losing it now. It’s a WHIP. Meaning you are whipping the rear of the bike around. The rear of the bike in the OP’s pic is whipping the ass of the bike to the RIGHT. Anyone who says it’s to the left is a complete tool.

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

10/9/2019 5:40 PM

crusty_xx wrote:

To the left...
To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right

This is whipping to the right. In the end last piece of the sequence he's whipped like 50° to the right.

Photo

I had this argument before.
And I won it. One of my proudest victories

That would be a big no. He's whipping " the bike " to the left.

When did anyone ever say " I'm whipping my body " a certain way? The direction of the whip , soley goes to where the bike is headed.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

10/9/2019 5:43 PM

Meister wrote:

You're a disgrace to your screen name.

crusty_xx wrote:

ok Meister

Racer111 wrote:

You lost the argument before and you’re losing it now. It’s a WHIP. Meaning you are whipping the rear of the bike around. The rear of the bike in the OP’s pic is whipping the ass of the bike to the RIGHT. Anyone who says it’s to the left is a complete tool.

Ok if you say so. You're a Racer so you must know I guess

Photo

|

10/9/2019 5:51 PM

fatpurplepanda wrote:

We aren't evaluating the direction of the rider lean , bar turn, perspective of the image, etc. We are simply looking at the direction of the whip of the motorcycle. It's to the right; Simple. As an engineer ,I refuse to even play this game.

If he was still on the ground he could only be turning to the left so why is it that when he is in the air he is turning to the right? Engineer or not, let is left.

|

10/9/2019 5:55 PM

Literally you are turning the bike left. You don’t talk about speed way riders turning the direction of their rear wheel or whatever.


Compare it to a straight jump. The bike is rotated left. Obviously flat as well but left, the bike if it was upright is now fallen over to the left side. Thee difference between a turn up, turn down and regular whip is the position of the fulcrum in two axis.

But yeah it’s a whip left - is he ‘whipping it to the left’ or something, to me that just weird and makes it sound like you jump straight whip your but and the bike to one side and wahla a whip to the right. A whip is more influences by the direction no leaning setup on the ramp which is all left.

Unless you are doing butt whips only this is left

|

10/9/2019 6:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2019 6:08 PM

Zacka 161 wrote:

Literally you are turning the bike left. You don’t talk about speed way riders turning the direction of their rear wheel or whatever.


Compare it to a straight jump. The bike is rotated left. Obviously flat as well but left, the bike if it was upright is now fallen over to the left side. Thee difference between a turn up, turn down and regular whip is the position of the fulcrum in two axis.

But yeah it’s a whip left - is he ‘whipping it to the left’ or something, to me that just weird and makes it sound like you jump straight whip your but and the bike to one side and wahla a whip to the right. A whip is more influences by the direction no leaning setup on the ramp which is all left.

Unless you are doing butt whips only this is left

The question was not which way is the rider turning on the face of the jump. The question is which way is the bike being whipped. It's pretty simple. It's about weight positioning. You can go perfectly straight off a jump and whip the bike out in either direction with no turning involved. Back end of the bike goes to the right from the center point. That's considered whipping it to the right. Pretty basic stuff yet somehow 220 people at this point can't grasp the concept.

|

10/9/2019 6:12 PM

Torco1 wrote:

You guys brought this up at the perfect time as I've been trying to explain something to my doctor. When I look down at my pecker, the shaft starts to curve to the right.....but when I pee the stream goes to the left. Do I tell my doctor that my schlong is kinked to the right.....or kinked to the left?

Peyronie's ??? I know a girl who can fix that. Well that what she claims on her facebook page anyways

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

10/9/2019 6:41 PM

Zacka 161 wrote:

Literally you are turning the bike left. You don’t talk about speed way riders turning the direction of their rear wheel or whatever.


Compare it to a straight jump. The bike is rotated left. Obviously flat as well but left, the bike if it was upright is now fallen over to the left side. Thee difference between a turn up, turn down and regular whip is the position of the fulcrum in two axis.

But yeah it’s a whip left - is he ‘whipping it to the left’ or something, to me that just weird and makes it sound like you jump straight whip your but and the bike to one side and wahla a whip to the right. A whip is more influences by the direction no leaning setup on the ramp which is all left.

Unless you are doing butt whips only this is left

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

The question was not which way is the rider turning on the face of the jump. The question is which way is the bike being whipped. It's pretty simple. It's about weight positioning. You can go perfectly straight off a jump and whip the bike out in either direction with no turning involved. Back end of the bike goes to the right from the center point. That's considered whipping it to the right. Pretty basic stuff yet somehow 220 people at this point can't grasp the concept.

The wording was

‘He is whipping to the... right/left’

Based on that specific wording it’s even more clear. He is whipping to the left, leaning to the left, the bike is turning to left, the bike is being whipped in every sense to the left.

Again a unless you jump straight and butt whip your ass to the right like ddavis then this is the left in ever sense.

|

10/9/2019 6:43 PM

The rear wheel is not independent of the main chassis. The entire bike is being pitched left from its original centerpoint. You may see a rear wheel being “whipped” to the right but what you are actually seeing is a motorcycle being pitched to the left.

The rear wheel would not be in the position it is in unless the rider used his own mass to reposition the bike to the “left.”

Therefore, the final and correct answer is: left

|

10/9/2019 7:27 PM

Whipping it to the right

|

10/9/2019 9:26 PM

Allow me to introduce exhibit D. A lot of people will remember Barcia "whipping it dangerously in Roczens face". Many got upset over this stunt. This stunt where Roczen was to Barcias left and where he whipped it to the LEFT. Notice that Barcia is even looking to the left (nice flex) to notice his bike whipped out to the left.

I REST MY CASE. No further questions your honor.

Photo

|

10/9/2019 9:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2019 9:53 PM

Falcon wrote:

Hmmmm. This one depends on your perception. As a rider, I would say "to the left," since that is the direction of travel he is initiating to do the whip. Then again, a casual viewer would view the rear tire going to the right, so I can see the majority's point.
I consider this "left," however.

Like the discussions about seat bouncing and double vs. triple, I don't think this is going to get solved on Vital. sad

Exactly. If you lean to the left, it’s left. If you lean to the right it’s right. Been racing in SoCal since i was five.

|

10/9/2019 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2019 8:20 AM

The best example I could come up with is the following.

If a car driver steers left to drift around a right hand corner, which way is the car going? Despite having his steering wheel turned to the left, the car is following its designated course to the right.

In this case the drift is the equivalent of the whip.



OP's pic is whipping to the right.

It's called best whip, not best turn. Two different maneuvers. A whip frees the back end of the bike. The back end in that pic is swiveling to the right.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

10/9/2019 11:04 PM

Based on this thread, bunch of you guys are probably Flat Earthers.

|

10/10/2019 12:11 AM

seth505 wrote:

Allow me to introduce exhibit D. A lot of people will remember Barcia "whipping it dangerously in Roczens face". Many got upset over this stunt. This stunt where Roczen was to Barcias left and where he whipped it to the LEFT. Notice that Barcia is even looking to the left (nice flex) to notice his bike whipped out to the left.

I REST MY CASE. No further questions your honor.

Photo

*cross jumping to the left while whipping to the right

|

10/10/2019 4:30 AM

The rear tire is to the right of the centerline of the bike, therefore he is whipping it to the right.

|

10/10/2019 4:45 AM

This is to the right. You are throwing the rear of the bike to the right. This is 100% about the rear end of the bike, not the front or anything else. This thread sounds like a bunch of confused souls trying to figure out what gender they are...

|

10/10/2019 5:22 AM

seth505 wrote:

Allow me to introduce exhibit D. A lot of people will remember Barcia "whipping it dangerously in Roczens face". Many got upset over this stunt. This stunt where Roczen was to Barcias left and where he whipped it to the LEFT. Notice that Barcia is even looking to the left (nice flex) to notice his bike whipped out to the left.

I REST MY CASE. No further questions your honor.

Photo

No, this is a scrub. We learned in this thread that a scrub is entirely different. He's scrubbing to the right.
If you had the exact same picture but he would have started it as a whip rather than a scrub, then it would be a whip to the left. Obvious, isn't it? dizzy

|

10/10/2019 5:28 AM

All the kooks that say it’s to the right have never raced or ridden hills in southern California, or skate/snowboarded for that matter. If you see a hip in a snowboard park, and it’s a left hip, you lean to the left and land going left.

|

10/10/2019 5:41 AM

Gordon Liddy wrote:

The rear tire is to the right of the centerline of the bike, therefore he is whipping it to the right.

But unless the front of the bike doesn’t move then the opposite applies. If it’s a straight jump and you use your butt to push the back of the back of the bike to one side like a DDavis butt whip then yes you are correct.

But every part of the bike movement, direction change, body movement and momentum is a turning left therefore it is whipping to the left. Anyone that think otherwise has clearly never complete a ‘whip’

Especially considering the picture looks like the majority of the bike movement is not in the turning but in the leaning of the bike. Saying this is a whip to the right is like saying a bike that fell off a stand and broke a clutch, fell to the right and somehow just ended on the left side.

|

10/10/2019 5:46 AM

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

The rear wheel is not independent of the main chassis. The entire bike is being pitched left from its original centerpoint. You may see a rear wheel being “whipped” to the right but what you are actually seeing is a motorcycle being pitched to the left.

The rear wheel would not be in the position it is in unless the rider used his own mass to reposition the bike to the “left.”

Therefore, the final and correct answer is: left

Exactly!

But please I would love if GuyB or someone could do a video compilation of rider answers at monster cup. Print the picture take it around and get video answer.

I would put money on riders that actually do whips, especially this racing style whip, would agree that is clearly to the left.

When you start doing turn up and then down and backward whips it can get tricky but this is very very straightforward.

|

10/10/2019 6:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2019 6:51 AM

gnarwhip wrote:

All the kooks that say it’s to the right have never raced or ridden hills in southern California, or skate/snowboarded for that matter. If you see a hip in a snowboard park, and it’s a left hip, you lean to the left and land going left.

I think you missed the post where one of the best whippers in the world agreed with us that are saying the OP pic is whipping to the right. You can hit a left hip and still whip it to the right.

I'd be willing to bet if we took a poll from all the pro riders all of us know that it would teeter on 100% "whipping to right" answers.

|

10/10/2019 6:55 AM

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

The rear wheel is not independent of the main chassis. The entire bike is being pitched left from its original centerpoint. You may see a rear wheel being “whipped” to the right but what you are actually seeing is a motorcycle being pitched to the left.

The rear wheel would not be in the position it is in unless the rider used his own mass to reposition the bike to the “left.”

Therefore, the final and correct answer is: left

Yes, you're applying force to the left and turning left, to whip the bike to the right. It is blowing my mind how many people are saying left. You just said you see the rear wheel being whipped to the right, nothing else matters after that.

|

10/10/2019 9:33 AM

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Well, technically speaking, this is axial rotation or, more specifically, Euler rotation.

Photo

If this were being compared to an airplane's Euler rotation (a fair analogy), the plane, in this case, would be rolled to the left (negative), with negative yaw (tail end pitched forward). If it were being rolled to the right with positive yaw, the ass end would be facing to the left and forward from it's original starting point.

In conclusion: the bike has a negative roll (to the left) and negative yaw (ass-end pitched forward from it's original starting point). Just think of this as a gyroscope.

Just imagine you have a gyroscope in your hand. In order to mimic what's happening in this picture, you would roll the gyroscope to the left and pitch it forward.

You can go ahead and close this thread now.

I’m an anatomist, with respect to anatomical position, the rider commits in the direction of his Left-hand

As well as the direction of the bike, which consequently will land further to the left than if he’d gone off straight.

No different than when I whip it into the left lane on the highway, directionally, I end up in the left lane, even though the rear of my car is facing right.

|

10/10/2019 9:34 AM

My mind is a little blown here - I've been riding and watching moto my whole life. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone describe the bike leaning to the left as whipping to the right!

Looks like the votes are about 2/3 to the right, 1/3 to the left. Wonder if its a regional thing?

|

10/10/2019 9:38 AM

gnarwhip wrote:

All the kooks that say it’s to the right have never raced or ridden hills in southern California, or skate/snowboarded for that matter. If you see a hip in a snowboard park, and it’s a left hip, you lean to the left and land going left.

I'm dead, bro...

|

10/10/2019 9:43 AM

Jbulz wrote:

My mind is a little blown here - I've been riding and watching moto my whole life. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone describe the bike leaning to the left as whipping to the right!

Looks like the votes are about 2/3 to the right, 1/3 to the left. Wonder if its a regional thing?

Same. I think it is more of a semantics thing though. The people claiming it is left (myself included) are basing it on the bike leaning left and the whole motion going left. And the rear happens to follow, but flicks right in the process. So the people saying right are focusing more on the action of the back of the bike, which is usually used to determine how far the bike is 'whipped'. So I see that argument too. But, for me the funny part is how a scrub going left is ok to be called "left" but if it is then classified as a 'whip' (which is sometimes a gray area anyways) then it then considered "right". That just sounds completely silly. But it is what it is.

|

10/10/2019 9:53 AM

Jbulz wrote:

My mind is a little blown here - I've been riding and watching moto my whole life. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone describe the bike leaning to the left as whipping to the right!

Looks like the votes are about 2/3 to the right, 1/3 to the left. Wonder if its a regional thing?

AH387 wrote:

Same. I think it is more of a semantics thing though. The people claiming it is left (myself included) are basing it on the bike leaning left and the whole motion going left. And the rear happens to follow, but flicks right in the process. So the people saying right are focusing more on the action of the back of the bike, which is usually used to determine how far the bike is 'whipped'. So I see that argument too. But, for me the funny part is how a scrub going left is ok to be called "left" but if it is then classified as a 'whip' (which is sometimes a gray area anyways) then it then considered "right". That just sounds completely silly. But it is what it is.

Yeah maybe it's a frame of reference focusing on the action of the rear wheel. I'm with you - this is to the left. I asked a few other riding buddies and got the same answer, so I'm still going to keep calling it how I always have... made it almost 30 years without ever getting called out on it haha.

|

10/10/2019 9:58 AM

I say LEFT.

If a rider steers left with the bars, leans left with his body, puts on the power and the rear wheel slides to the right, would you say he's turning right??

Of course you wouldn't you numbskulls!

|

10/10/2019 10:26 AM

My assumption is that 100% of the people who are saying left do not know how to scrub or whip.

|