Which way is this rider whipping?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/8/2019 5:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 5:41 PM



Need to settle a debate. Not a trick question or trick photo.

He is whipping to the

View Results

|

10/8/2019 5:37 PM

Definitely whipped out .... to the right

|

10/8/2019 6:40 PM

I'm absolutely stunned that anybody considers this whipping to the left. Educate yourselves.

|

10/8/2019 6:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 6:45 PM

I could see left. But gunna have to vote right.

Is this also a "cross-up" ...... or a "Decoster" ?

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

10/8/2019 6:46 PM

Haha this is vital/ the world in a nutshell

|

why am I reading this? ..... Oh christ, now I'm posting...... shiiiiiiiit!!

10/8/2019 7:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 7:15 PM

|

10/8/2019 7:29 PM

Good Lord we dive into some insipid stuff on this board don't we? How many days until MEC again?

|

10/8/2019 7:56 PM

You whip the bike... or even your butt when doing sweet butt whips, so in other words in that picture you are whipping to the right.

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!


2006 KX250

10/8/2019 7:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 8:05 PM

Slapaho here

That's definitely whipping to the right. Not sure how that could be mistaken....

|

10/9/2019 5:25 AM

To the left...
To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right

This is whipping to the right. In the end last piece of the sequence he's whipped like 50° to the right.



I had this argument before.
And I won it. One of my proudest victories

|

10/9/2019 5:31 AM

The ones who vote "Left" are the real, true, faithful die-hard Vitards....jus saying..

|

10/9/2019 5:42 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

To the left...
To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right

This is whipping to the right. In the end last piece of the sequence he's whipped like 50° to the right.



I had this argument before.
And I won it. One of my proudest victories

The rear of the bike is being whipped out to the left in your pic.

Its being whipped to the right in the OP’s pic

|

10/9/2019 5:53 AM

He goes left, bike goes right, this thread goes to the dumbgeon

|

10/9/2019 6:01 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

To the left...
To bring it back straight he has to turn it to the right. So he can't be whipping to the right

This is whipping to the right. In the end last piece of the sequence he's whipped like 50° to the right.



I had this argument before.
And I won it. One of my proudest victories

kb228 wrote:

The rear of the bike is being whipped out to the left in your pic.

Its being whipped to the right in the OP’s pic

Well it's a matter of definition I guess.

Obviously the rear of Dungeys bike goes to the left. But the rider is facing to the right.

|

10/9/2019 7:18 AM

Lean left, whip left. The progression of the bike is going left. To me, the direction of the rear of the bike is meaningless as the whip follows the direction of the bike, which in this case is left. My opinion.

|

10/9/2019 7:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2019 7:48 AM

Well, technically speaking, this is axial rotation or, more specifically, Euler rotation.



If this were being compared to an airplane's Euler rotation (a fair analogy), the plane, in this case, would be rolled to the left (negative), with negative yaw (tail end pitched forward). If it were being rolled to the right with positive yaw, the ass end would be facing to the left and forward from it's original starting point.

In conclusion: the bike has a negative roll (to the left) and negative yaw (ass-end pitched forward from it's original starting point). Just think of this as a gyroscope.

Just imagine you have a gyroscope in your hand. In order to mimic what's happening in this picture, you would roll the gyroscope to the left and pitch it forward.

You can go ahead and close this thread now.

|

10/9/2019 7:55 AM

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Well, technically speaking, this is axial rotation or, more specifically, Euler rotation.



If this were being compared to an airplane's Euler rotation (a fair analogy), the plane, in this case, would be rolled to the left (negative), with negative yaw (tail end pitched forward). If it were being rolled to the right with positive yaw, the ass end would be facing to the left and forward from it's original starting point.

In conclusion: the bike has a negative roll (to the left) and negative yaw (ass-end pitched forward from it's original starting point). Just think of this as a gyroscope.

Just imagine you have a gyroscope in your hand. In order to mimic what's happening in this picture, you would roll the gyroscope to the left and pitch it forward.

You can go ahead and close this thread now.

Hur dur the rear tire is going to the right.

I tried to explain this axial approach earlier (albeit not as sophisticatedly as you) and got downvoted to hell. Don’t try to get too far with this

|

10/9/2019 8:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2019 8:01 AM

zehn wrote:

Hur dur the rear tire is going to the right.

I tried to explain this axial approach earlier (albeit not as sophisticatedly as you) and got downvoted to hell. Don’t try to get too far with this

If people want to live in an overly-simplistic, one-dimensional world, that's cool with me, I guess.

|

10/9/2019 8:05 AM

If he's setting up for a turn, it's a LEFT hand turn. But yes the bike has been thrown to the right.

|

10/9/2019 8:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2019 8:27 AM

38special wrote:

If he's setting up for a turn, it's a LEFT hand turn. But yes the bike has been thrown to the right.

Nothing is being "thrown" here and your explanation only works if you're looking at the bike from one perspective (in this case, from behind).

If we were looking at the bike from the front, the rear tire would be to the "left," would it not? What direction is the rear tire going if you're looking at this from the side?

There is no "left" and "right" in axial rotation.

|

10/9/2019 9:27 AM

To whip like that the rider has to lean off to the left side. He is whipping to the left. Anyone saying that is to the right can’t whip

|

10/9/2019 9:45 AM

38special wrote:

If he's setting up for a turn, it's a LEFT hand turn. But yes the bike has been thrown to the right.

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Nothing is being "thrown" here and your explanation only works if you're looking at the bike from one perspective (in this case, from behind).

If we were looking at the bike from the front, the rear tire would be to the "left," would it not? What direction is the rear tire going if you're looking at this from the side?

There is no "left" and "right" in axial rotation.

What direction is the bike being whipped when you're on it, genius?

|

10/9/2019 10:01 AM

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Well, technically speaking, this is axial rotation or, more specifically, Euler rotation.



If this were being compared to an airplane's Euler rotation (a fair analogy), the plane, in this case, would be rolled to the left (negative), with negative yaw (tail end pitched forward). If it were being rolled to the right with positive yaw, the ass end would be facing to the left and forward from it's original starting point.

In conclusion: the bike has a negative roll (to the left) and negative yaw (ass-end pitched forward from it's original starting point). Just think of this as a gyroscope.

Just imagine you have a gyroscope in your hand. In order to mimic what's happening in this picture, you would roll the gyroscope to the left and pitch it forward.

You can go ahead and close this thread now.

Not a fair analogy. The rider and bike are not a single rigid object, they move independently from each other. Your body is leaning left to whip the bike to the right.

|

10/9/2019 10:03 AM

This is peak off-season shenanigans

|

10/9/2019 10:09 AM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

I'm absolutely stunned that anybody considers this whipping to the left. Educate yourselves.

Whipping to the left or right is the direction you are leaning.

|

Did i do that?

10/9/2019 10:09 AM

lol, back end is the direction of the whip. You can whip the bike the same direction with opposite bar inputs. Scrub style vs. pancake style. Bikes use counter-steering, so turn left, bike go right, it's just the way whips have always been described. IMO. You're "throwing" the back of the bike to that side, not turning the front the other way.

|

10/9/2019 10:21 AM

owndjoo852 wrote:

lol, back end is the direction of the whip. You can whip the bike the same direction with opposite bar inputs. Scrub style vs. pancake style. Bikes use counter-steering, so turn left, bike go right, it's just the way whips have always been described. IMO. You're "throwing" the back of the bike to that side, not turning the front the other way.

Exactly.

Furthermore, left and right is always dictated by the rider’s left and right side. Picture the bike kicking out to the side going down a rough straight away. If the rear wheel kicks out to the right side, we all know which way it went right? Why would you change the fundamentals of direction just because he’s jumping?

|

10/9/2019 10:29 AM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

I'm absolutely stunned that anybody considers this whipping to the left. Educate yourselves.

Travis_Hudson wrote:

Whipping to the left or right is the direction you are leaning.

Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike is whipped from the center point (your front wheel since you don't whip the front end). This is so preposterously stupid. Amazed that that people could think this way. Ask anybody pro (or person with a brain) this question and you'll be proven wrong.

|

10/9/2019 10:51 AM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

I'm absolutely stunned that anybody considers this whipping to the left. Educate yourselves.

Travis_Hudson wrote:

Whipping to the left or right is the direction you are leaning.

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike is whipped from the center point (your front wheel since you don't whip the front end). This is so preposterously stupid. Amazed that that people could think this way. Ask anybody pro (or person with a brain) this question and you'll be proven wrong.

Well, i was a pro, and everyone i ever talked to referred to it this way..so...i guess agree to disagree?

|

Did i do that?

10/9/2019 10:51 AM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

Then why is it called a whip, not a lean? The direction of a whip is the side in which the back end of the bike is whipped from the center point (your front wheel since you don't whip the front end). This is so preposterously stupid. Amazed that that people could think this way. Ask anybody pro (or person with a brain) this question and you'll be proven wrong.

That makes sense if you’ve only ever watched other people whip.

|