Which national/GP tracks need to go?

maicocd
6/15/2010 6:26am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:25pm
I have to agree with Seth505-

Southwick is motocross. It isn't even the closet national for me to attend.
My "best" motocross story in my 31 years racing is the Friday that my brother & I looked at a 2 page spread of Southwick in RacerX... It was just the track all prepped and ready for the national. Having absolutely no plan other than to make a Saturday race there the next day, my brother and I left work, threw one bike in the trailer, and drove 12 hours to Southwick. We arrived at 6am, shared one bike for practice & motos and agreed over steak & beer on the way home that it was by far the best impulse move that we ever made! The picture of the track alone was all we needed to get our butts back on a mx track together for the the first time in a long time.
And Seth is right that a lot of people seem to think that High Point, Budds, Steel City, & Southwick are all centrally located together or something. While I admit that you could argue that Steel City & High Point are too close to one another, the fact is that someone from New England has quite a haul to attend a national if Southwick were ever to disappear.

The south is legitimately deserving of consideration. It is a shame that Gatorback had to go. I know the industry didn't care for it, but as a fan I had absolutely no problem arranging my 'Bike Week' around a national one weekend and Daytona SX the following weekend.
I'm happy that I got to be spoiled the few years that I got to enjoy that combo! Bike Weeks have been relatively ho-hum to me since then. In the years since Gatorback's absense I had to start spending the weekend without a national down there trying to determine which person wearing a black leather vest on a Harley was the coolest...

Just like we in the NorthEast & MidAtlantic feel when we see the need for "3" Anahiems- why don't we just keep ALL of the nationals and simply "add" one to the South???

Wishful thinking!!! ...plus I haven't had my coffee this morning and felt cranky enough to finally rant about something!!!
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
6/15/2010 6:27am
Hangtown, Freestone and Lakewood are the most boring tracks to watch.
viking24
6/15/2010 7:22am
With 5 nationals in the northeast and the lean attendance at Hi-Point this past weekend. The region is at a saturation point - definitely need to set up a venue in the S.E. To me Steel City would be at the top of the "to go" list.

Why does the GP circuit go to Brazil? Is that a viable market for a GP?
Jefro98
6/15/2010 7:29am
DrSweden wrote:
Namur with the citadel is really a beautiful town, but as a spectator it must sux balls? I see people standing in the woods with only...
Namur with the citadel is really a beautiful town, but as a spectator it must sux balls? I see people standing in the woods with only 200 meters of track visabillity? I think it comes out as booring on the telly as well. Let that sucker be dead.

Nats, maybe Southwick should go as a safety measure for the series/fans, because if it rains the day before the event might get cancelled (personal experience)! Wink
You obviously have never been to Namur Marc.
Shame.
It was the weekend I looked forward to all year.

The Shop

ehr400
6/15/2010 7:43am
SMITH201 wrote:
I know it has alot of history, but I think Hangtown needs to go. Riders are never happy or make complimants about the track and are...
I know it has alot of history, but I think Hangtown needs to go. Riders are never happy or make complimants about the track and are just always happy to get it over with.
I have read the same about it too. I have been to Budds Creek, Steel City, High Point and Hangtown. I like Steel City alot because you can see the whole track from one viewing point since it is in sort of a valley.
chrisbuehler
6/15/2010 7:49am
Hangtown sure looks like it sucks on tv, one-lined with no passing and all the riders seem to hate on it too.
rangot
6/15/2010 7:50am
Jefro98 wrote:
Shame.
From a spectator point, right, but this track was horrible to ride. Fast, with roots everywhere and trees crossing ! But still a cool place to see a GP, that's for sure.
jaeckle
6/15/2010 9:35am
Red Bud should have 2 rounds. It is the pinnacle of pro motocross racing complexes. The dirt, the hills, the width, the roughness, the jumps, the fans, etc
Ask any pro what their favorite tracks are and Red Bud is always at the top of the list. Yes even Stewart.
cdm806
Fantasy
1557th
6/15/2010 9:44am
Southwick and Freestone are the absolute worst spectator tracks. 'Wick is an awesome MX track, but spectating sucks. Why go to a National if you can't see the track without being glued to the fence. Personally, I like to walk around the track and get many different points of view, can't do that at The 'Wick. Once you leave the fence, you can't see chit the rest of the day.
ehr400
6/15/2010 10:00am
jaeckle wrote:
Red Bud should have 2 rounds. It is the pinnacle of pro motocross racing complexes. The dirt, the hills, the width, the roughness, the jumps, the...
Red Bud should have 2 rounds. It is the pinnacle of pro motocross racing complexes. The dirt, the hills, the width, the roughness, the jumps, the fans, etc
Ask any pro what their favorite tracks are and Red Bud is always at the top of the list. Yes even Stewart.
I live in Michigan and have attended Re Bud alot over the years. It is a awesome place. There is always a shit ton of lines there also.
Chris_ONeal
6/15/2010 10:21am
cdm806 wrote:
Southwick and Freestone are the absolute worst spectator tracks. 'Wick is an awesome MX track, but spectating sucks. Why go to a National if you can't...
Southwick and Freestone are the absolute worst spectator tracks. 'Wick is an awesome MX track, but spectating sucks. Why go to a National if you can't see the track without being glued to the fence. Personally, I like to walk around the track and get many different points of view, can't do that at The 'Wick. Once you leave the fence, you can't see chit the rest of the day.
I agree with you on the viewing at Southwick during the Nationals. Well unless you have a press pass! Cool
eddie
6/15/2010 1:41pm
chrisgg90 wrote:
The only tracks that need to go is the suck ass man made tracks at road race venues. Lets bring back proper motocross tracks with elevation...
The only tracks that need to go is the suck ass man made tracks at road race venues. Lets bring back proper motocross tracks with elevation changes and natural terrain
so no more british gp ? ever ?
Cigaro
6/15/2010 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2010 2:10pm
Sunhouse wrote:
Some of the tracks out there are just boring and should be gone. My least favorite tracks in no particular order: Nationals: 1. Freestone - it´s...
Some of the tracks out there are just boring and should be gone.

My least favorite tracks in no particular order:

Nationals:
1. Freestone - it´s FLAT!
2. Steel City - Boooring
3. Pala - lol

GP´s:
1. Bellpuig - it´s been the same for years, and it´s incredibly dull
2. Valkenswaard - old and lame, it needs to go

BobbyM wrote:
TROY OHIO
Always liked Kenworthys cuz it was the one off race.Like Daytona is for supercross Troy was for motocross. It's terrible for spectating I will admit that.
DrSweden
6/16/2010 11:09am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:26pm
Jefro98 wrote:
Shame.
No, this is a typical example of someone being ignorant (me). I would probably love the track after seeing in person. But on the telly it sux nevertheless.

Jefro, you think it looks good on tv?
DrSweden
6/16/2010 11:20am
Sunhouse wrote:
I agree, th kickers/ brakingbumps on the lip are really dangerous. I was standing beside the tunnel under the jump before the downhill as he crashed...
I agree, th kickers/ brakingbumps on the lip are really dangerous. I was standing beside the tunnel under the jump before the downhill as he crashed last year. I was 100% sure he was dead. And the guys coming down barely avoided him. DeDycker almost ran him over a couple of times.

Has he recovered? It was the gnarliest crash I´ve seen in person, ever
themrtoad wrote:
He was almost dead actually. Both his lungs collapsed, small bleeding in the brain and multiple fractures here and there. The paramedics quickly realised his condition...
He was almost dead actually. Both his lungs collapsed, small bleeding in the brain and multiple fractures here and there. The paramedics quickly realised his condition and and were able to keep him alive by cutting him open and give him air somehow. I interviewed him a few weeks later and he remembered nothing from the crasch.

He is okey mentally but his body is not okey yet. He spent the winter in Californa at MX-Heaven trying to prepare for the nationals and even won some sort of race at GH. But his body is not recovered enough yet so he has to fight really hard with little reward.
Sunhouse wrote:
Just getting back on a bike after all that is incredible. People have died or become paralysed from smaller crashes. The people standing where I was...
Just getting back on a bike after all that is incredible. People have died or become paralysed from smaller crashes. The people standing where I was standing were in shock. Some where even crying. We were all sure that we had just witnessed someone die.
Amazing. Yes, sounds like the paramedics saved his life? Out of curiosity I would be cool to hear about the details of what they did to save him? Well...

Makes me so happy that the kid is still alive and hope he tries to "seize the day" from now on. Thank god for intelligent health personal, they literally save lives.
JackLHyde
6/16/2010 11:21am
DrSweden wrote:
Namur with the citadel is really a beautiful town, but as a spectator it must sux balls? I see people standing in the woods with only...
Namur with the citadel is really a beautiful town, but as a spectator it must sux balls? I see people standing in the woods with only 200 meters of track visabillity? I think it comes out as booring on the telly as well. Let that sucker be dead.

Nats, maybe Southwick should go as a safety measure for the series/fans, because if it rains the day before the event might get cancelled (personal experience)! Wink
Do you honestly want to tell me the sandiest track on the circuit has issues with rain? Where I come from the sand tracks are always open, because the others can't handle the water often.
Jefro98
6/16/2010 11:28am
Jefro98 wrote:
Shame.
DrSweden wrote:
No, this is a typical example of someone being ignorant (me). I would probably love the track after seeing in person. But on the telly it...
No, this is a typical example of someone being ignorant (me). I would probably love the track after seeing in person. But on the telly it sux nevertheless.

Well, I've been there since the 80's but when I had to watch it on TV at home, I could feel the atmosphere of being there in person.
But I can imagine that is didn't look good on TV if you have never witnessed it.
That's why I always went there to watch it. Laughing
DrSweden
6/16/2010 11:34am
Jefro98 wrote:
Shame.
DrSweden wrote:
No, this is a typical example of someone being ignorant (me). I would probably love the track after seeing in person. But on the telly it...

Jefro98 wrote:
Well, I've been there since the 80's but when I had to watch it on TV at home, I could feel the atmosphere of being there...
Well, I've been there since the 80's but when I had to watch it on TV at home, I could feel the atmosphere of being there in person.
But I can imagine that is didn't look good on TV if you have never witnessed it.
That's why I always went there to watch it. Laughing
Ah! I hear you! Cool
MXMattii
6/16/2010 11:42am
DrSweden wrote:

Jefro98 wrote:
Shame.
On the Citadel you maybe didn't see as much as on the modern Outdoor SX Grand Prix tracks build on auto race venue's and other shit as we know today. But that wasn't important.

The atmosphere was unique, the track was unique, the media attention that MX on the Citadel gets was unique... The motocross on the Citadel in Namur was UNIQUE.

Grown up men with goosebumps on there arms watching a unique spectacle in a unique venue that was the motocross on the Citadel.

But watch tracks need to go in the Grand Prix Series:

The New Valkenswaard - Bring back the Old Valkenswaard!
The USGP - Because that is just a very expensive joke of Youthstream!

And they just need to stop screwing with good olskool tracks!
They build SX Obstacles in Outdoors tracks and stuff and thats is just a disgrace for the sport!
DrSweden
6/16/2010 12:14pm
JackLHyde wrote:
Do you honestly want to tell me the sandiest track on the circuit has issues with rain? Where I come from the sand tracks are always...
Do you honestly want to tell me the sandiest track on the circuit has issues with rain? Where I come from the sand tracks are always open, because the others can't handle the water often.
Don't think that would be the issue before a National, but the Wick had open practice this sunday for people like me, but it got cancelled because of rain during the night. I became rather angry because I had really looked forward to this (only open practive like 4 times a year), and got the cancel info after been traveling for more than 100 miles.

Obviously, I'm still a bit bitter... Smile
Team Euro
6/16/2010 12:24pm
MXMattii wrote:
On the Citadel you maybe didn't see as much as on the modern Outdoor SX Grand Prix tracks build on auto race venue's and other shit...
On the Citadel you maybe didn't see as much as on the modern Outdoor SX Grand Prix tracks build on auto race venue's and other shit as we know today. But that wasn't important.

The atmosphere was unique, the track was unique, the media attention that MX on the Citadel gets was unique... The motocross on the Citadel in Namur was UNIQUE.

Grown up men with goosebumps on there arms watching a unique spectacle in a unique venue that was the motocross on the Citadel.

But watch tracks need to go in the Grand Prix Series:

The New Valkenswaard - Bring back the Old Valkenswaard!
The USGP - Because that is just a very expensive joke of Youthstream!

And they just need to stop screwing with good olskool tracks!
They build SX Obstacles in Outdoors tracks and stuff and thats is just a disgrace for the sport!
Namur was what GP`s were all about, the feeling that was everywhere was pure MX. Chimay everywhere. We would leave our rig in the depot to go out and be with the folk camping in the forest at night, true pure MX fans ..what memories...

Post a reply to: Which national/GP tracks need to go?

The Latest