Which national/GP tracks need to go?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/14/2010 11:19 AM

Some of the tracks out there are just boring and should be gone.

My least favorite tracks in no particular order:

Nationals:
1. Freestone - it´s FLAT!
2. Steel City - Boooring
3. Pala - lol

GP´s:
1. Bellpuig - it´s been the same for years, and it´s incredibly dull
2. Valkenswaard - old and lame, it needs to go

|

6/14/2010 11:28 AM

Valkenswaard is a mainstay ,it`s not going anywhere. Same with Bellpuig. Uddevalla was great until 2004 when the reversed the direction and made it easier ( like it`s easy now !!) If they reverse flow it changes everything.

Bring back Namur....

|

6/14/2010 11:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2016 11:24 PM

Team Euro wrote:

Valkenswaard is a mainstay ,it`s not going anywhere. Same with Bellpuig. Uddevalla was great until 2004 when the reversed the ...more

I don´t think there should be something called mainstay. They should bring something new to the table once in a while, or give the GP to someone else.

Uddevalla was running the other way in 04, I think it changed in 06.
Also, I agree - Namur needs to be brought back

|

6/14/2010 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/14/2010 2:04 PM

The only tracks that need to go is the suck ass man made tracks at road race venues. Lets bring back proper motocross tracks with elevation changes and natural terrain

|

6/14/2010 11:45 AM

Could have been 06,I I remember it was after the "Motocross GP" class farce was started. A change of venue would be nice but logistics favor the 2 mentioned tracks..but a change would be welcomed but contracts are signed and planning is years ahead for a GP

|

6/14/2010 12:01 PM

TROY OHIO

|

6/14/2010 12:11 PM

Team Euro wrote:

Valkenswaard is a mainstay ,it`s not going anywhere. Same with Bellpuig. Uddevalla was great until 2004 when the reversed the ...more

Namur with the citadel is really a beautiful town, but as a spectator it must sux balls? I see people standing in the woods with only 200 meters of track visabillity? I think it comes out as booring on the telly as well. Let that sucker be dead.

Nats, maybe Southwick should go as a safety measure for the series/fans, because if it rains the day before the event might get cancelled (personal experience)! wink

|

6/14/2010 12:18 PM

The only track that needs to go is Glen Helen. It needs to GO back ON the National schedule.

|

6/14/2010 12:18 PM

You're right. Last year's National at Pala the track totally sucked.

|

6/14/2010 12:33 PM

Team Euro wrote:

DrSweden wrote:

Namur with the citadel is really a beautiful town, but as a spectator it must sux balls? I see people standing in the woods ...more

Namur is fantastic..where do you watch from when you are there?

|

6/14/2010 1:54 PM

kx1984 wrote:

The only track that needs to go is Glen Helen. It needs to GO back ON the National schedule.

Winner.

Unless you live in, oh, i don't know, MO maybe? whistling

|

6/14/2010 2:28 PM

The Freestone track may be flat, but Tony Miller has put forth an outstanding effort to put on a great event. The sport could definitely benefit from more people like him.

Maybe one of those 7.7. earthquakes we've seen so many of lately could help with some elevation changes?

|

6/14/2010 5:59 PM

Team Euro wrote:

Namur is fantastic..where do you watch from when you are there?

Just moved to the US, but the races I saw on Eurosport from Namur some years ago reminded more of an Enduro race, and I don't like Enduro. The only cool part was near the pit where the track looked more like a motocross track and that upphill.

It's all subjective, I know the old farts get a tear in the eye when Namurs being mentioned. But I newer heard that track was good for racing, more of a nice scenery thing. Like you watch the wall behind the bikes...

|

6/15/2010 1:56 AM

newmann wrote:

The Freestone track may be flat, but Tony Miller has put forth an outstanding effort to put on a great event. The sport could ...more

It´s not the promoters fault, but I think a national track should at the very least have some elevation changes. Flat tracks are for SX

|

6/15/2010 2:41 AM

I would say none of the above.

The main thing is a couple of national tracks need to replace the dirt that has been roosted away over the years. MX is about racing on natural terrain, not the Earth's crust.

Freestone did a great job making a flat place interesting. Steel City is great viewing.

What's dull about Bellpuig? I've been there twice and it's pretty cool. The elevation changes are rad. Sucks when it's muddy though.

Valkenswaard is cool too, plus you get to fly in to Amsterdam, so....
smile

|

I rule, even when I'm gone!

6/15/2010 2:44 AM

What about a national at loretta's? It would be cool to see how like pourcel would go around that track.. Or villopoto, alessi, milsaps ect.. They all have confidence there.. Sorry if a dumb idea... Mx sports has a good relationship there..

|

Jeff "GyM" Briggs

6/15/2010 2:48 AM

Bring back Gatorback! I think Monster Mountain in Alabama would be a sweet track also for the nationals. I think High point or Southwick could go. There are some other gnarly sand tracks around the country and in areas where they dont get a national or SX.

|

6/15/2010 4:39 AM

TFS wrote:

I would say none of the above.

The main thing is a couple of national tracks need to replace the dirt that has been roosted ...more

I think Bellpuig is boring. It has been unchanged for over 10 years. The track and layout is the same every year.
Steel city may be an easy track to spectate, but the layout is boring. Both series need some new blood, i.e. new tracks.

And Freestone, the promoter may be a cool and talented guy, but that doesn´t change the fact that the track is FLAT! There is no excuse for a flat national track. In order to hold national events, there needs to be a certain standard

Let new promotors have a go at it.

|

6/15/2010 4:56 AM

Team Euro wrote:

I also think Uddevalla became dull when they reversed it. Also there's always a risk of fatal injury going 4th gear flat out against the huge downhill where Åkerblom nearly killed himself last year.

To all of you who havent been there: After the finish jump the track go by the pits wide open heading for a small crest followed by a big downhill. lot's of bumps makes for nasty kicks when the riders go hard on the brakes. Not a lot of passing, just stupid and dangerous. If they turned the track around the riders could choose from inside/outside going up the hill and carry more speed out on the straight IMO.

|

I HATE FOURSTROKES
www.racelife.se

6/15/2010 5:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2010 5:06 AM

Team Euro wrote:

themrtoad wrote:

I also think Uddevalla became dull when they reversed it. Also there's always a risk of fatal injury going 4th gear flat out ...more

I agree, th kickers/ brakingbumps on the lip are really dangerous. I was standing beside the tunnel under the jump before the downhill as he crashed last year. I was 100% sure he was dead. And the guys coming down barely avoided him. DeDycker almost ran him over a couple of times.

Has he recovered? It was the gnarliest crash I´ve seen in person, ever

|

6/15/2010 5:11 AM

In GP's, whoever brings the money is in, otherwise you"re out.

Might not be exciting, but the thruth.

And Bellpuig dull?

You need balls of steel to go fast there.

Big triple step up and a drop off that blows you from left to right when the wind is up, and it gets real windy there.

|

Roger DeCoster, Team Manager: I have to thank Tony and Jeffrey for the riding lessons; you guys were unbelievable.

6/15/2010 5:14 AM

Team Euro wrote:

themrtoad wrote:

I also think Uddevalla became dull when they reversed it. Also there's always a risk of fatal injury going 4th gear flat out ...more

Sunhouse wrote:

I agree, th kickers/ brakingbumps on the lip are really dangerous. I was standing beside the tunnel under the jump before the ...more

He was almost dead actually. Both his lungs collapsed, small bleeding in the brain and multiple fractures here and there. The paramedics quickly realised his condition and and were able to keep him alive by cutting him open and give him air somehow. I interviewed him a few weeks later and he remembered nothing from the crasch.

He is okey mentally but his body is not okey yet. He spent the winter in Californa at MX-Heaven trying to prepare for the nationals and even won some sort of race at GH. But his body is not recovered enough yet so he has to fight really hard with little reward.

|

I HATE FOURSTROKES
www.racelife.se

6/15/2010 5:21 AM

themrtoad wrote:

Sunhouse wrote:

I agree, th kickers/ brakingbumps on the lip are really dangerous. I was standing beside the tunnel under the jump before the ...more

themrtoad wrote:

He was almost dead actually. Both his lungs collapsed, small bleeding in the brain and multiple fractures here and there. The ...more

Just getting back on a bike after all that is incredible. People have died or become paralysed from smaller crashes. The people standing where I was standing were in shock. Some where even crying. We were all sure that we had just witnessed someone die.

|

6/15/2010 5:41 AM

Team Euro wrote:

themrtoad wrote:

yeah the Uddevalla track was better the other way, i ride there alot because i lives 5 minutes from that track and i have never rode the reversed way on a big bike, but i think that it would been way better. My dad is there alot and working on the track and the facility and its getting better but for sure it was better the old way.

|

6/15/2010 5:43 AM

Sunhouse wrote:

yeah Akerblom is fine, he was in Usa over off season and prepared for some Nationals but it never happened, dont know why

|

6/15/2010 5:48 AM

ehr400 wrote:

Bring back Gatorback! I think Monster Mountain in Alabama would be a sweet track also for the nationals. I think High point or ...more

are you nuts! aha, Southwick is legendary and what other national is in the area?

|

6/15/2010 5:52 AM

themrtoad wrote:

Sunhouse wrote:

Mrtf wrote:

yeah Akerblom is fine, he was in Usa over off season and prepared for some Nationals but it never happened, dont know why

I think he later found out his body wasn't recovered enough for mx on a high level. It was an article about it some time ago, but don't remeber the details exactly. He is a nice guy besides being a good rider. I'm glad he came through as good as he did.

|

I HATE FOURSTROKES
www.racelife.se

6/15/2010 5:56 AM

ehr400 wrote:

Bring back Gatorback! I think Monster Mountain in Alabama would be a sweet track also for the nationals. I think High point or ...more

seth505 wrote:

are you nuts! aha, Southwick is legendary and what other national is in the area?

Budds Creek is in the general vicinity, Unadilla, Steel City, High Point all on the east coast. I like southwick just saying there are other great tracks around the country that would be great for a national.

|

6/15/2010 6:02 AM

ehr400 wrote:

seth505 wrote:

ehr400 wrote:

Budds Creek is in the general vicinity, Unadilla, Steel City, High Point all on the east coast. I like southwick just saying ...more

ya I see what you are saying, I just don't consider those 'close' though they are east coast. I would give one of those up if we could get a north east supercross race aha

|

6/15/2010 6:05 AM

I know it has alot of history, but I think Hangtown needs to go. Riders are never happy or make complimants about the track and are just always happy to get it over with.

|