Which leaderboard time display do you prefer?

RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 11:15am
MavTV seems to be stuck on showing "Rider Gap" for most of the race. I find that info to be close to useless. Manually calculating gaps is simple when they show Time Behind Leader. But doing the opposite is much harder, especially if you are tracking a guy further back in the field.

Ideally, they would rotate between both.
Poll

Which do you prefer?

Choices
|
tomlopez
6/13/2022 11:17am
I like knowing how far everyone is from the leader, especially when somebody is charging through the field. I can do the math for rider-to-rider gaps myself.
jeffro503
6/13/2022 1:09pm
Time behind leader for me. Besides , you can figure out the gap easily by just looking. Instead of trying to add up between 1st and like 12th place. Time behind leader for sure! Never understood the reasoning with the gap leader board.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/13/2022 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 2:22pm
"Gap to next rider is much better for.... speed relative to leader etc."

That doesn't make sense.

Quick, tell me how far Varize is behind the leader. Or tell me how far Hammaker is behind Vohland (before that part of the leader board rotates to 21st-30th place).

(edited with correct image)

mx_579
6/13/2022 1:11pm
Yeah I much rather seeing the time behind leader to see if a particular rider is catching the leader. It's a lot easier for me to figure in my head the distance between riders based on their time behind the leader. One thing nice about the time between riders though, it's easy to pick out where the good battles are. Not that it's hard the other way.

The Shop

SEEMEFIRST
6/13/2022 1:32pm
RichieW13 wrote:
"Gap to next rider is much better for.... speed relative to leader etc." That doesn't make sense. Quick, tell me how far Varize is behind the...

That doesn't make sense.

Quick, tell me how far Varize is behind the leader. Or tell me how far Hammaker is behind Vohland (before that part of the leader board rotates to 21st-30th place).

2.6 seconds?

Am I missing something?
yz133rider
6/13/2022 1:33pm
Time behind leader and it isnโ€™t even a close decision.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
6/13/2022 1:42pm
I like gaps... Let's me identify really quickly where the active battles for position are. I can ballpark time to leader easily.

Someone 96 seconds behind the leader is irrelevant info for me.
CPR
6/13/2022 1:51pm
I prefer the individual gaps like theyโ€™ve been showing.
To me it easily and precisely lets you see whatโ€™s happening in battles and if someone is on a charge and catching the leader, they still have to get one position at a time. The gap to the leader is irrelevant until theyโ€™re at least into a podium position.
Who cares how far behind the leader someone in 10th is? However Iโ€™m still interested in the gaps to 11th and 9th.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/13/2022 2:19pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
2.6 seconds?

Am I missing something?
Oops. I screwed up and linked the wrong image.

Will fix.
6/13/2022 2:28pm
Press516 wrote:
I like gaps... Let's me identify really quickly where the active battles for position are. I can ballpark time to leader easily. Someone 96 seconds behind...
I like gaps... Let's me identify really quickly where the active battles for position are. I can ballpark time to leader easily.

Or you can see where the active battles are when two guys are 4.7 and 5.1 seconds behind the leader, vs -4.7 and -0.4.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/13/2022 2:31pm
Press516 wrote:
I like gaps... Let's me identify really quickly where the active battles for position are. I can ballpark time to leader easily. Someone 96 seconds behind...

Ideally, they would definitely rotate the two. But for some reason they seem to show "time behind leader" for the first lap or two, and then the rest of the race is mostly "rider gaps".
aeffertz
6/13/2022 2:37pm
Clearly in the minority but I like the distance behind the rider in front of them. Donโ€™t care how far back from the leader 10th place is. Not that doing math is hard to figure out the gap but I imagine the mechanics are telling their riders how far ahead the next guy is and not the leader. I guess Iโ€™ve just always related to it in that way and itโ€™s easier to see when a battle back in the pack is closing up or where one exists.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
6/13/2022 2:38pm
No option to vote for manufacture logo? ๐Ÿ˜‚

Or even fast lap? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Time behind leader is my favorite.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/13/2022 2:44pm
RichieW13 wrote:
"Gap to next rider is much better for.... speed relative to leader etc." That doesn't make sense. Quick, tell me how far Varize is behind the...

That doesn't make sense.

Who cares how far Varize is behind the leader? He's not gonna catch Hunter, he's still got 9 seconds to catch Pierce Brown in 13th!

Either way is fine, the gap to the next rider is more useful to identify where the clusters of riders and real time battles are taking place. Gap to leader is more useful to see the overall strength of the class.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/13/2022 2:45pm

They used to show "last lap" late in races sometimes. That can be interesting, but I haven't seen that much (if at all) the past couple years. Except when they show it for 2 or 3 specific riders.

I also think carrying the gaps more than 1 decimal point is a waste of valuable screen space. But that's another topic. (The difference between being 4.518 seconds behind leader or 4.5 seconds behind leader is irrelevant.)
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/13/2022 2:48pm
early wrote:
Who cares how far Varize is behind the leader? He's not gonna catch Hunter, he's still got 9 seconds to catch Pierce Brown in 13th! Either...
Who cares how far Varize is behind the leader? He's not gonna catch Hunter, he's still got 9 seconds to catch Pierce Brown in 13th!

Either way is fine, the gap to the next rider is more useful to identify where the clusters of riders and real time battles are taking place. Gap to leader is more useful to see the overall strength of the class.
Just that Varize's position is easier to compare how he's progressing when compared to his time behind leader. Or, if you are dealing with Hunter Lawrence getting a 9th-place start, seeing HIS time behind leader is definitely relevant.
MX Culture
6/13/2022 3:31pm
Scrolling ticker at the bottom.
I dislike it on the sides.
SEE ARE125
6/13/2022 4:38pm
I think the times/gaps should be in real time so it looks like a stock ticker over there and by the time you calculate it youโ€™re wrong. Thatโ€™d be pretty sporty.
250 cross
6/13/2022 5:27pm
Until I realized what they were showing I was confused. Too use to seeing time behind the leader. Now I prefer the gaps because it helps me to focus on the upcoming battles better.
zehn
6/13/2022 5:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 5:45pm
RichieW13 wrote:
Just that Varize's position is easier to compare how he's progressing when compared to his time behind leader. Or, if you are dealing with Hunter Lawrence...
Just that Varize's position is easier to compare how he's progressing when compared to his time behind leader. Or, if you are dealing with Hunter Lawrence getting a 9th-place start, seeing HIS time behind leader is definitely relevant.
The gap between the leader and the guy in 13th is irrelevant and is ALWAYS going to increase unless a guy with top end speed is coming through the pack from way back, which honestly rarely happens anymore. Gap to next rider is way more relevant when talking about battles for position.

Again, why would I care how far back Hammaker is from Vohland? You're using a stupid example here. I want to know how fast Hammaker is catching Ray, then Pape etc.

Perfect example was 450 moto 1. Even when they weren't showing Tomac coming up, you could track his progress to the next rider very easily using the gap information.

People like gap to leader because they've displayed it that way for decades but it isn't better information.

To use your example, when Hunter is in 9th and gaining 1.5 seconds a lap on on the guy in front of him, show me that. He could be doing the same exact lap times as the leader but it requires paying more attention to the sidebar to watch gap to leader over the course of several laps.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
6/13/2022 5:45pm
zehn wrote:
The gap between the leader and the guy in 13th is irrelevant and is ALWAYS going to increase unless a guy with top end speed is...
The gap between the leader and the guy in 13th is irrelevant and is ALWAYS going to increase unless a guy with top end speed is coming through the pack from way back, which honestly rarely happens anymore. Gap to next rider is way more relevant when talking about battles for position.

Again, why would I care how far back Hammaker is from Vohland? You're using a stupid example here. I want to know how fast Hammaker is catching Ray, then Pape etc.

Perfect example was 450 moto 1. Even when they weren't showing Tomac coming up, you could track his progress to the next rider very easily using the gap information.

People like gap to leader because they've displayed it that way for decades but it isn't better information.

To use your example, when Hunter is in 9th and gaining 1.5 seconds a lap on on the guy in front of him, show me that. He could be doing the same exact lap times as the leader but it requires paying more attention to the sidebar to watch gap to leader over the course of several laps.
But if Tomac is in 6th and gaining on the guy in 5th, but losing ground to the leader, you can't see that in the rider gaps. When I'm watching Tomac march through the pack, I don't care so much about how close he is to the next guy - I care about how close he is to the leader.
yz133rider
6/14/2022 4:53am
zehn wrote:
The gap between the leader and the guy in 13th is irrelevant and is ALWAYS going to increase unless a guy with top end speed is...

RichieW13 wrote:
But if Tomac is in 6th and gaining on the guy in 5th, but losing ground to the leader, you can't see that in the rider...
But if Tomac is in 6th and gaining on the guy in 5th, but losing ground to the leader, you can't see that in the rider gaps. When I'm watching Tomac march through the pack, I don't care so much about how close he is to the next guy - I care about how close he is to the leader.
Itโ€™s way easier to โ€œsee the full pictureโ€ with the time behind leader gap, rather than the rider gap.

I can get all the information I need from the leader gap. But the rider gap makes it messy to try to get the full picture.

Itโ€™s retarded. And typical of the program to ruin something so freaking simple and take up a third of the screen with it is equally retarded.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
6/14/2022 5:00am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 5:12am
zehn wrote:

RichieW13 wrote:
But if Tomac is in 6th and gaining on the guy in 5th, but losing ground to the leader, you can't see that in the rider...
This. If he's 20 seconds behind and the guy in front of him is 18 seconds behind, that's easy. The list of 0.6, 2.4, 6.5, 3.1 is useless to me.

Time behind leader gives you who is having battles, and if a rider with a bad start has a chance of catching the lead pack. If it was just rider gap, you don't know if the lead pack is pulling away or not.

Who cares if it shows to the hundredth the gap between 8th and 9th if they aren't going to televise that battle anyway? Time behind leader you can still figure out there's about a 1.5 second gap vs knowing it's actually 1.432 seconds.
TDeath21
6/14/2022 6:32am
Slightly related. Anyone else kinda prefer the screen scroll at the top instead of the rider list covering 1/5 the screen on the left side? Admittedly, if they were to switch back, Iโ€™d probably say Iโ€™d like to see the full field in an instant instead of waiting for the scroll. Both have pros and cons.

For just a few short years in the mid to late 00s, SPEED would have a little blip every time a rider set the fastest lap of the moto, no matter their position. I thought that was cool. Would have loved to see that when Tomac was dropping his lap times by a couple seconds at the end of motos from 17-19.

As for the question, behind leader 100%.
USA
Fantasy
428th
6/14/2022 6:33am
The only stat that I look for is 'time behind the leader'. The math for individual rider gaps is a no-brainer from there, so showing that number instead is useless to me.

I'm often looking at how far back a rider is from a certain position, for example when Hammaker was 19th this weekend I wanted to know how much time he is behind 10th and if he can make that gap up. When they show time behind leader, it's a simple calculation using Hammaker's gap from leader and the 10th place rider's gap. If they show time behind leader, now I have to keep track of 9 rider gaps and add those together and then it really gets inaccurate.
jeffro503
6/14/2022 8:27am
I know I'm in the majority in wanting time behind the leader. But the guys in here talking about rider gaps make some good points as well.

As far as that goes.....would be cool for the broadcast to maybe just rotate between the two?? I'd be good with that.
hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
6/14/2022 8:36am
I like time behind leader and then rotate in best lap times and current lap times.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
6/14/2022 9:30am

RichieW13 wrote:
They used to show "last lap" late in races sometimes. That can be interesting, but I haven't seen that much (if at all) the past couple...
They used to show "last lap" late in races sometimes. That can be interesting, but I haven't seen that much (if at all) the past couple years. Except when they show it for 2 or 3 specific riders.

I also think carrying the gaps more than 1 decimal point is a waste of valuable screen space. But that's another topic. (The difference between being 4.518 seconds behind leader or 4.5 seconds behind leader is irrelevant.)
Yep liked when they would show individual lap times occasionally, was good to see who further back was going fast

Post a reply to: Which leaderboard time display do you prefer?

The Latest