Which bike for wife advice

Edited Date/Time 4/26/2020 8:14am
My wife really wants a bike and we’ve put some money aside for it; however, we’re having a hard time deciding.

She’s ridden a total of 3 times. She did motorcycle training on a CRF 230F. She’s very petite and wants a 250R (yeah right). I want to get her a KLX 110L so she can master the clutch, etc.

What have you guys bought for your partners? Should I get a CRF 150R or 150F? Thinking mostly desert riding for and ocasional Fox Raceway. I’m thinking that a trail bike will be more fun.
|
mxwilly
4/24/2020 7:06pm
My wife learned on an older YZ80. She currently has an RM80 but will likely start riding my sons RM85 as he’s moving up to a bigger bike. If your wife has rode a 230F, I think the 110 would be too small. I think she’s likely better suited to a CRF150R. Or maybe something like a DRZ125? Good luck!
yz133rider
4/24/2020 7:08pm
I just got a 230f for my girlfriend. She rode a few times in a field on a crf100 to learn the clutch and shifting. And got her the 230 once she got the hang of that. Its all brand new for her. She hasnt ridden the 230 yet but that will be soon!!

We settled on the 230 because any thing smaller really is sized for a child and is just not right for an adult ergo wise. Trying to shift with boots on or stand up on the smaller bikes its just all wrong. The 230 is heavy as hell tho which is for sure a drawback! But once shes proficient on the 230 a 125 is likely in her future.

Shes also like 5'5" 120.
Wandell
4/24/2020 8:48pm
With her experience level, a play bike is probably the best choice. I'd suggest a Kawasaki KLX140. They make three versions of the bike. The standard is the size of a 85cc MX bike. The L is the size of a KX100 and has a better rear shock than the standard bike. Kawasaki recently introduced the KLX140g which has full size wheels. All three are easy to ride, have a full frame instead of a cheesy open cradle and feature electric starting and front and rear disc.
If she sticks with it, you may have to buy her a MX bike when her skill and experience advances. If she doesn't stick with it, you have the start of an awesome pitbike!
garagedog
Fantasy
687th
4/24/2020 8:51pm
4 stroke for sure. How tall is she?
CRF150F, 110L or 125F

That 230 is a heavy bike.

The Shop

4/24/2020 9:17pm
mxwilly wrote:
My wife learned on an older YZ80. She currently has an RM80 but will likely start riding my sons RM85 as he’s moving up to a...
My wife learned on an older YZ80. She currently has an RM80 but will likely start riding my sons RM85 as he’s moving up to a bigger bike. If your wife has rode a 230F, I think the 110 would be too small. I think she’s likely better suited to a CRF150R. Or maybe something like a DRZ125? Good luck!
Thanks! I’ll take her to the dealer once quarantine is lifted.
4/24/2020 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2020 9:20pm
garagedog wrote:
4 stroke for sure. How tall is she?
CRF150F, 110L or 125F

That 230 is a heavy bike.
She’s 5’3 or 5’4 around 120-130lbs. She couldn’t really reach the ground on the 230F. The instructors did a good job of teaching her the basics (since I don’t have patience). But I agree, it’s a heavy bike for her!
4/24/2020 9:22pm
yz133rider wrote:
I just got a 230f for my girlfriend. She rode a few times in a field on a crf100 to learn the clutch and shifting. And...
I just got a 230f for my girlfriend. She rode a few times in a field on a crf100 to learn the clutch and shifting. And got her the 230 once she got the hang of that. Its all brand new for her. She hasnt ridden the 230 yet but that will be soon!!

We settled on the 230 because any thing smaller really is sized for a child and is just not right for an adult ergo wise. Trying to shift with boots on or stand up on the smaller bikes its just all wrong. The 230 is heavy as hell tho which is for sure a drawback! But once shes proficient on the 230 a 125 is likely in her future.

Shes also like 5'5" 120.
Thank you! That’s what I needed to hear. I feel like I’m in the same boat with the same thought process.
kage173
4/24/2020 9:33pm
I wouldnt go less than the 230 unless she hated it. Yamaha has a version too. That 140 wont have enough power once she gets the hang of it.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
4/24/2020 10:23pm
My wife really wants a bike and we’ve put some money aside for it; however, we’re having a hard time deciding. She’s ridden a total of...
My wife really wants a bike and we’ve put some money aside for it; however, we’re having a hard time deciding.

She’s ridden a total of 3 times. She did motorcycle training on a CRF 230F. She’s very petite and wants a 250R (yeah right). I want to get her a KLX 110L so she can master the clutch, etc.

What have you guys bought for your partners? Should I get a CRF 150R or 150F? Thinking mostly desert riding for and ocasional Fox Raceway. I’m thinking that a trail bike will be more fun.
depending on size, i would maybe start with a crf150
LittleDragon
Fantasy
1882nd
4/24/2020 10:51pm
My son has a DRZ 125 that he is about to tall for so now my wife wants to learn. The bike is awesome. His is a 07 so no e start. Which can be a frustrating thing for someone who is learning. He had trouble last year kicking it over but can do it now. Any of the DRZ KLX TTR CRF are great bikes and will last forever
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/25/2020 1:44am
I'd say something smaller and easy like a TTR125le. It's just for fun let her learn on something thats not too intimidating or hard to move around, pick up etc. Then if she's enthused enough later KTM makes those Freeride 250f's that are a full size bike but slightly smaller, lower seat height, mellow motor etc. And Beta has an X trainer thats a 300 2 stroke version, smaller, lower, mellower etc.
philG
4/25/2020 2:29am
I think we need a pic of your wife to make a fully informed decision.

If she is a short ass (which it sounds like) she needs something she can fit on, and feel safe, else she wont want to ride.

But IMO it needs to be a 4 stroke, nice and docile .

My wife is 5'5 and learned to ride on a 560 ATK that she couldn't reach the floor on, but she got the idea of pulling up to a stop and having us catch her.. it was a flat field and she just rode round for an hour or so but she did it, just to say she had.. offered to get her a small bike but she didn't want to .
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
4/25/2020 2:45am
Wandell wrote:
With her experience level, a play bike is probably the best choice. I'd suggest a Kawasaki KLX140. They make three versions of the bike. The standard...
With her experience level, a play bike is probably the best choice. I'd suggest a Kawasaki KLX140. They make three versions of the bike. The standard is the size of a 85cc MX bike. The L is the size of a KX100 and has a better rear shock than the standard bike. Kawasaki recently introduced the KLX140g which has full size wheels. All three are easy to ride, have a full frame instead of a cheesy open cradle and feature electric starting and front and rear disc.
If she sticks with it, you may have to buy her a MX bike when her skill and experience advances. If she doesn't stick with it, you have the start of an awesome pitbike!
this, A KLX140 big wheel will be perfect, disc brakes and alright suspension, you can put a KX85 forks and shock into them if you want to upgrade the suspension,
4/25/2020 2:50am
I have a crf150f which is just as much fun to play on as my 350 and 450, maybe more fun. Get HER one of those. 😊
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1568th
4/25/2020 5:27am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2020 5:32am
I started my wife on a crf230f. She rode it for a year, liked it but it was heavy and she wanted something lighter.

We happened to run across a KLX140G down the rode that a guy bought and never rode. Shaved ~30 pounds off over the 230 and then put on bar risers and lowered pegs. She liked it (and the turdness of it) but the ergonomics for an adult just never felt right to her. (Shes "5' 5-5/8"" tall)
----Side note to this, we did find on the G because of the full size wheels/tires, she wasn't allowed to ride certain classes in our enduro/harescramble races that would have better suited her skill level and kept her from having to race the same time as all of the big bikes/faster riders. Just something to keep in mind depending on what you end up wanting to do on the bike.

2.5 months back, we picked her up a Beta 125 RR-S, claimed weight is around 220lbs, to me it feels a little heavier, but gives you that turd motor that she likes on a full size bike. Only "complaint" is the brakes are a little weak, it's a budget bike with some of the parts but by far the best option we've found at the moment.

At some point, i would like to get her on a full size & power bike, but she likes her turds and feels comfortable on them so until she's ready she'll likely stay on the Beta.

I did pick my dad up a CRF250F as a spare bike, outside of being porky, the engine reminded me of my old XR250 and a bit stronger than the 230. Much improved over the 230 and not too badly priced. I got his for $4400 OTD at the local dealer.
blusmbl
4/25/2020 5:52am
Another vote for a CRF150F, if the 230 was too big. My ex girlfriend liked hers, and another friend has one that she uses as her do everything dirtbike- flat track, ice, dirt She is a good enough rider that she could step up to a 250 but really likes her 150F.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
4/25/2020 6:11am
Gonna have to see the wife to give proper advice
Giraffe579
4/25/2020 7:09am
I taught my girlfriend on my TTR125LE in the back yard and the MMX minibike track. She sat on my 150SX and said "why didn't you tell me this was so much better?" Now she has a WR250R and is much more comfortable. For dirt I wanna get her a 150XC TPI (and I get to ride it too).
Hammer 663s
4/25/2020 7:24am
Is she athletic and able to pick up skills quickly? I've taught a lot of kids and it really varies - some can learn a clutch in 2 minutes and others take 2 weeks. If she is capable, I'd look at a KX100 with a heavy steahly flywheel weight. Light, not very snappy, easy to maintain, good suspension, can be modded for more power when she's ready.

Hammer
MxKyle (MD)
4/25/2020 7:58am
Depends on her personality. My wife grew up a tomboy and was very competitive at everything. When I met her she was repelling off a 20 story building. She was 43 years old 5"7" and in great shape when she decided she wanted to learn to ride. I taught her to ride my YZ125 and she then took ownership. Within a year she was doing double jumps and had better form in the turns than most guys.

Most women couldn't have done that because it would have been out of their comfort zone.

--KT--

4/25/2020 8:08am
Thank you everyone! I’ve narrowed the search to a Crf 150, KLX 140, TTR 125 or KX 100 with flywheel. I’m going to search CL and OfferUp for the best deal.
4/25/2020 8:10am
Is she athletic and able to pick up skills quickly? I've taught a lot of kids and it really varies - some can learn a clutch...
Is she athletic and able to pick up skills quickly? I've taught a lot of kids and it really varies - some can learn a clutch in 2 minutes and others take 2 weeks. If she is capable, I'd look at a KX100 with a heavy steahly flywheel weight. Light, not very snappy, easy to maintain, good suspension, can be modded for more power when she's ready.

Hammer
Thank you for the good idea! I’m leaning towards the KX 100 now. She’s athletic and what helped is that she went to a weekend training session across from Cahuilla to learn how to ride. So she has the basics down. Now all we need is a bike for her to develop her skill on.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/25/2020 8:47am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2020 9:06am
Too bad Yamaha quit making the RT180, that was my wife’s first bike and it was a perfect bike to learn on. Touching the ground is always the big factor it seems for shorter / newer riders the RT was short and comfortable. She rode her first “real” race on it at the 96 revived Elsinore gran prix and got 5th place women’s beginner. She was stoked ! . She’s on an old (90’) CR250 now that’s been lowered 2” and loves it. And an XT250 for her dual sport. You're stoked she wants to ride ! I got mine the XT250 so we could do some street legal dirt roads and trails and now she wants to ride everywhere everyday, she loves it. In fact we’re starting to look at street bikes now and she wants to do longer farther rides and possibly a cross country trip on bikes. I’ve created a monster 😂.
Good luck & have fun 😎
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1568th
4/25/2020 9:05am
Before she got her Beta i mentioned above, i looked hard for a while at the KX100 and CRF150R. Really wanting to push her to a race bike that would be lighter and have more power.

When i researched the KX100 and turning it into a trail bike my may main concern was how much low end you could actually get out of it. My very little experience on one left me thinking a fly wheel weight alone wasn't going to get it to where she would be happy. Some posts made it sound extremely promising with a FWW and a couple other mods where i was ready to go buy one but then i'd find another thread where it said the opposite so i never got a good enough feeling to give that a try. May also not rule out the KTM 105 as well.

That kind of let me looking into the 150R more closely, and we went to a dealer planning on buying one, but ultimately the ergonomics killed off this option for her as well.
OP's spouse being a few inches smaller than mine, could work out well in this class of bikes.

If she's just learning, my recommendation is get a used trail bike, use it for a year (or however long for her to get comfortable and ready to move up) and sell it. Those things after a certain point seem to just hold their value as long as they are maintained. The CRF230F we lost $100 on after a year of ownership and the KLX140G, we "lost" $200 on after 2 years of ownership. Last thing you want to do is scare her and she no longer wants to ride.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/25/2020 9:30am
1983YZ125 wrote:
Before she got her Beta i mentioned above, i looked hard for a while at the KX100 and CRF150R. Really wanting to push her to a...
Before she got her Beta i mentioned above, i looked hard for a while at the KX100 and CRF150R. Really wanting to push her to a race bike that would be lighter and have more power.

When i researched the KX100 and turning it into a trail bike my may main concern was how much low end you could actually get out of it. My very little experience on one left me thinking a fly wheel weight alone wasn't going to get it to where she would be happy. Some posts made it sound extremely promising with a FWW and a couple other mods where i was ready to go buy one but then i'd find another thread where it said the opposite so i never got a good enough feeling to give that a try. May also not rule out the KTM 105 as well.

That kind of let me looking into the 150R more closely, and we went to a dealer planning on buying one, but ultimately the ergonomics killed off this option for her as well.
OP's spouse being a few inches smaller than mine, could work out well in this class of bikes.

If she's just learning, my recommendation is get a used trail bike, use it for a year (or however long for her to get comfortable and ready to move up) and sell it. Those things after a certain point seem to just hold their value as long as they are maintained. The CRF230F we lost $100 on after a year of ownership and the KLX140G, we "lost" $200 on after 2 years of ownership. Last thing you want to do is scare her and she no longer wants to ride.
My nephew had a KX100 big wheel, it was stock and when it came on it was abrupt and freakin fast ! I'm not here to disagree with other peoples suggestions but I wouldn't classify it as "easy to ride" by any stretch.

Post a reply to: Which bike for wife advice

The Latest