Which 450, YZ or KX?

Indy mxer
2/25/2021 6:51pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Which brand has a local dealer that can offer the most support? Not free or sponsorship, but is known for having parts and knowledgable people on...
Which brand has a local dealer that can offer the most support?
Not free or sponsorship, but is known for having parts and knowledgable people on hand to help with issues?

That's who you choose
Timo wrote:
Does anyone really need support from their local dealers anymore? The only time I go to a dealer is to buy a bike, otherwise it's just...
Does anyone really need support from their local dealers anymore? The only time I go to a dealer is to buy a bike, otherwise it's just ordering parts online. Local dealers don't have anything in stock, and it seems like a week or two is always the lead time.
You're painting with a broad brush. Not all delaers are like that. Maybe they just suck where you live.
There's still good dealers out there if you look!

My brother is a long time Kaw/Polaris/TM dealer here. He stocks parts and what he doesn't have he gets in 3 days.
CG118
2/25/2021 7:50pm
Meister wrote:
Man, it's all personal preference. Just sit on each n pick the one that feels the best. I just went through the process of choosing a...
Man, it's all personal preference. Just sit on each n pick the one that feels the best. I just went through the process of choosing a new 450 for +30 (+35)... I wanted to like the yam, but just sitting on it reminded me of the fat bch 14 I had and I hate how huge they felt then, and still feel that way today.

Ultimately, I chose to stick the red route, but man was I ever close to pulling th trigger on the kx. It feels good, can't be bad kinda thing.. I am very happy with my decision to stay red as I absolutely love the way my 21we feels in every aspect. It's just very confidence inspiring, for ME. However, there is part of me that wishes ida tried something new and went with the kx.. Maybe next time..

Simply put, id choose the kx out of your two choices, without a doubt. I think the yam suspension is over rated, it's a pig (not talking weight, just feels like a clydesdale vs a quarter horse), and I wanted hydro clutch. Kx suspension is good with springs, has hydro, rider triangle felt good, plus team green. Kx seems more honda'ish in most aspects, so it may put you right at home right off the rip.
Accurate.
I would only add, the Kawi feels like a Honda, plus 10%.
The YZ is thick.
Pretty much how the ergos go.
Suspension? Yami takes the cake. Maybe that’s why it’s so thick....too much cake.
Moto520
2/25/2021 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 8:28pm
Ha.....I have the kx450 and the yz450f. Both are good bikes but I would chose the Kawasaki for racing. The Yamaha is great if you just want to buy it and ride it with no futzing around. The Yamaha is good stock and needs nothing. It runs forever and nothing gets loose or falls off. The Kawi has some things but once sorted it’s a great mix of handling compliance across the broadest range of tracks.

Buy them both you cheap bastard
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
2/25/2021 8:35pm
I have the YZ450F (18) and love it. I have ridden a 2020 KX450F that is a friends bike and I have to say that I really liked the bike. It feels more narrow between your knees and turned really well. The suspension on the KX needed more work/adjustment than the YZ IMO. Power was excellent. I would be perfectly happy with either bike. Not sure how you can go wrong with either.

The Shop

kennyc
2/25/2021 8:50pm
Since you're in Spring - I would get the YZ, have EBR put the Travis Preston map or their custom map on it, put on a Bill's pipe, do their airbox mod, and get the suspension set up for your weight
40acres
2/25/2021 9:02pm
You have 2 options at the moment in Mancuso or Wild West with bikes in stock, neither of which I'd be overly excited about giving my money to. I guess if I had to choose I would buy the KX from Wild West. At least they've got SOME knowledge and capacity for support. I thought Munn only sold Husky/KTM?
crc245
2/25/2021 9:48pm

https://www.keeferinctesting.com/motocross-testing/2020/9/28/which-bike…

At 6' and with a Honda background, I vote Kawi 450. They're basically an 08' CRF with e-start, hydraulic clutch, EFI, and 49mm forks; down a clip on overall build quality, but a very predictable and solid platform. Yamaha built an alright bike with great suspension, but the ergos and quirks are hard to adjust to if you haven't been with them since the start of the "backward cylinder" experiment...
Spudnut
2/25/2021 10:13pm
Monk wrote:
Buy a good torque wrench if you buy a KX.
And an extra set of cases for when the bearings explode at 75 hrs
Timo
2/26/2021 7:48am
crc245 wrote:
https://www.keeferinctesting.com/motocross-testing/2020/9/28/which-bike-is-best-for-you-2021-yamaha-yz450f-vs-kawasaki-kx450 At 6' and with a Honda background, I vote Kawi 450. They're basically an 08' CRF with e-start, hydraulic clutch, EFI, and 49mm forks; down...

https://www.keeferinctesting.com/motocross-testing/2020/9/28/which-bike…

At 6' and with a Honda background, I vote Kawi 450. They're basically an 08' CRF with e-start, hydraulic clutch, EFI, and 49mm forks; down a clip on overall build quality, but a very predictable and solid platform. Yamaha built an alright bike with great suspension, but the ergos and quirks are hard to adjust to if you haven't been with them since the start of the "backward cylinder" experiment...
I jumped right onto my 19 from a "normal" bike and had no issues adjusting to anything. It runs great, turns way better than magazines would lead you to believe, and is super stable. It's definitely front wheel biased for turning, but I've never been a brake dragger around turns so it works for me. If you're a rear wheel steerer the KX is the way to go.
2/26/2021 7:54am
Monk wrote:
Buy a good torque wrench if you buy a KX.
Spudnut wrote:
Did that happen to yours? I’ve had several over the years and never had any problems. Did you figure out what caused the issue?
Shaggin589
2/26/2021 8:38am
Spudnut wrote:
I got a buddy with a 3” hole in his YZ cases that would say the same thing tho
MotoX85
2/26/2021 11:29am
I currently own a 2019 / 20 / 21 Yamaha 450. Absolutely love all of them. The 21 is probably the best bike I have ever ridden. I am a Vet A rider and have no idea of the complaints that I constantly here on-line about the bike and really think 1 person started making stuff up and the rest of the squids repeated it. I read what the media/people say, then ride the bike and wonder exactly WHAT bike they were riding.

Turn in: this bike WANTS to turn and its almost like I have to stop it from falling into corners then to get it to turn.
Coming out of Berms in the corner - this is a setup issue and not a trait of the bike. Again, I have to stop the bike from laying over, not the other way around.
Too much power- Really? Ping said the bike scored low cause it had too much power even for a pro Complete and utter horseshit. Bike is about perfect from the factory and most faster guys I know have purchased pipes, including myself (FMF Factory 4.1) which adds smooth power across the board (I am however 220lbs and 6ft 3in)
Suspension - I don't need to cover this cause everyone knows they are the best, but I actually sent the suspension off to a "known" builder and it came back worse then stock. I have now left my stock suspension alone and will not touch it again.
Tuner App - its great to have and FREE...….. but I've never touched it. Bike does about everything I want it to do and really needs nothing power wise. I bought the slip on pipe because I got a good deal on it and it looks good and drops weight.
Ergos - again, I'm tall, 6'3" and think the opposite as most. How I fit on a Kawasaki is WHY I don't ride them because they are good bikes. But I feel like I sit "on top" of the bike and not "in it" and it feels a little ackwared.
bars and clamp in the most forward position and Pro Taper Windham bend Evo bars and the bike has all the rook I need.
I personally don't like Hydro clutches but if you do, Kawasaki has one, Yamaha does not.
The air filter design of the Yamaha completely SUCKS to be nice. But if you take your time you will have no problems with it. I own 3 and have had no issues with filter failure.

The last Kawasaki I rode was a 2019 KX so I don't have new data to compare with. My friends that have them love the bike. I just find nothing wrong with the current Yamahas to make me look anywhere else.

With that being said, nothing beats Yamaha durability and Ive had several quality issues with my Kawi pitbike and SxS to make me think their quality is slipping.

With that being said, I don't think you could go wrong with either purchase.
Brent
2/26/2021 11:58am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2021 12:03pm
MotoX85 wrote:
I currently own a 2019 / 20 / 21 Yamaha 450. Absolutely love all of them. The 21 is probably the best bike I have ever...
I currently own a 2019 / 20 / 21 Yamaha 450. Absolutely love all of them. The 21 is probably the best bike I have ever ridden. I am a Vet A rider and have no idea of the complaints that I constantly here on-line about the bike and really think 1 person started making stuff up and the rest of the squids repeated it. I read what the media/people say, then ride the bike and wonder exactly WHAT bike they were riding.

Turn in: this bike WANTS to turn and its almost like I have to stop it from falling into corners then to get it to turn.
Coming out of Berms in the corner - this is a setup issue and not a trait of the bike. Again, I have to stop the bike from laying over, not the other way around.
Too much power- Really? Ping said the bike scored low cause it had too much power even for a pro Complete and utter horseshit. Bike is about perfect from the factory and most faster guys I know have purchased pipes, including myself (FMF Factory 4.1) which adds smooth power across the board (I am however 220lbs and 6ft 3in)
Suspension - I don't need to cover this cause everyone knows they are the best, but I actually sent the suspension off to a "known" builder and it came back worse then stock. I have now left my stock suspension alone and will not touch it again.
Tuner App - its great to have and FREE...….. but I've never touched it. Bike does about everything I want it to do and really needs nothing power wise. I bought the slip on pipe because I got a good deal on it and it looks good and drops weight.
Ergos - again, I'm tall, 6'3" and think the opposite as most. How I fit on a Kawasaki is WHY I don't ride them because they are good bikes. But I feel like I sit "on top" of the bike and not "in it" and it feels a little ackwared.
bars and clamp in the most forward position and Pro Taper Windham bend Evo bars and the bike has all the rook I need.
I personally don't like Hydro clutches but if you do, Kawasaki has one, Yamaha does not.
The air filter design of the Yamaha completely SUCKS to be nice. But if you take your time you will have no problems with it. I own 3 and have had no issues with filter failure.

The last Kawasaki I rode was a 2019 KX so I don't have new data to compare with. My friends that have them love the bike. I just find nothing wrong with the current Yamahas to make me look anywhere else.

With that being said, nothing beats Yamaha durability and Ive had several quality issues with my Kawi pitbike and SxS to make me think their quality is slipping.

It's good to see that the Yamaha works for you, I only rode it for eight laps and loved a lot of things. the fork is as good as Ive ever tried.

I will call you on the motor and the weight of the bike however.

I'm 5'11" and 169 lbs, and the motor in stock form can be a handful for non-giant riders like me. It has a LOT of power in the low and medium range, Even Justin Cooper, one of the most talented (and smaller) guys have a hard time with the stock motor and has to ride it a gear high.

The bike is wider and heavier than most, and on slow 180 degree rutted sweeper or off camber turns it is bit of a handful to get the bike into the rut. The sag was not set for me so that could have been the issue, but I have heard this same issue from other racers who have their bikes dialed in.

But hey you can always gear down or detune the ECU to get a less abrupt feel out of the motor. Sure it has a couple drawbacks but overall I loved the blue bike.
DB505
2/26/2021 12:30pm
I have a 20 kx450, I like it, It handles good, slim, nice smooth power! But I’ve had the suspension done twice it’s not Bad.. but I still think it could be better! And I AM kinda worried about durability issues,
Moto520
2/26/2021 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2021 12:48pm
i have 82 hours on my 2019 KX450....i just made the decision to completely rebuild the motor rather than buy a new bike. It has been very dependable and there are only a few issues that have to be addressed within the first 15 hours. To summarize: sub-frame cracks at muffler mounting tab, clutch needs to be tweaked (arc levers or hinson/ Rekluse baskets set up to your tastes...stock is kind of Meh), rear brake eats pads with the larger rear rotor, and the dumb chain rollers wear out quickly. To me....those are minor adjustments. Others want to buy the bike and have it be great out of the box. This is where the Yamaha shines. I feel like the ceiling for the Kawasaki is higher once set up. Someone earlier said it feels similar the the 2008 Honda CRF and i would say this is accurate enough. The fork on the Kawi is so underrated (probably because it comes from the factory too freaking soft). It can be hammered without losing control. Hard to describe but i feel confident on the bike.
rjg
2/26/2021 12:50pm
MotoX85 wrote:
I currently own a 2019 / 20 / 21 Yamaha 450. Absolutely love all of them. The 21 is probably the best bike I have ever...

I am the same dimensions as this guy and can't wait to get off the Yamaha after riding it for 2 mins. The rider triangle is weird . I don't know how this guy finds it enjoyable. Seat to pegs distance is short and awkward.
Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1568th
2/26/2021 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2021 1:47pm
skeef wrote:
I'd say listen to your heart.
Yamaha revs your heart!

I'd go Yamaha haha
Sacko
2/26/2021 2:31pm
+1 on the dealership thing. I was inthe dealership yesterday trying to buy a YZ250 and lets just say they've reached an all time low. I was quoted 10,900 otd on a bike with an MSRP of $7599. I get the demand is crazy high but its just not right.
2/26/2021 2:32pm
MotoX85 wrote:

rjg wrote:
I am the same dimensions as this guy and can't wait to get off the Yamaha after riding it for 2 mins. The rider triangle is...
I am the same dimensions as this guy and can't wait to get off the Yamaha after riding it for 2 mins. The rider triangle is weird . I don't know how this guy finds it enjoyable. Seat to pegs distance is short and awkward.
I’m in the same boat as you. 6’3”. I absolutely hate the layout of the Yamaha. I like the adjustability of the Kaw. I put the foot pegs in the lower settings, and the bars in the forward holes but rotated back. Most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden. I also appreciate the forgiveness of the chassis. I put stiffer springs front and rear. I’m happy with the shock, but need to revalve the forks to make them hold up better.
JBecker 72
2/26/2021 2:37pm
MotoX85 wrote:

rjg wrote:
I am the same dimensions as this guy and can't wait to get off the Yamaha after riding it for 2 mins. The rider triangle is...
I’m in the same boat as you. 6’3”. I absolutely hate the layout of the Yamaha. I like the adjustability of the Kaw. I put the...
I’m in the same boat as you. 6’3”. I absolutely hate the layout of the Yamaha. I like the adjustability of the Kaw. I put the foot pegs in the lower settings, and the bars in the forward holes but rotated back. Most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden. I also appreciate the forgiveness of the chassis. I put stiffer springs front and rear. I’m happy with the shock, but need to revalve the forks to make them hold up better.
I’m just shy of 6’2” and didn’t have a problem riding the 20 YZ450F. Coming from my KX450F it is a bit more cramped, but after a couple laps I was feeling good on it.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/26/2021 3:18pm
I am a Yamaha guy but if your dealer sells both I dont think you can go wrong either way.
Munson'd
Fantasy
1099th
2/26/2021 4:27pm
I just want to say I’m not in the market for either of these bikes but this thread is a fun read.
mhog
2/27/2021 7:13am
I have own a number of both Kawi’s and Yamaha’s, both are great bikes. My brother and several friends have 2019, 2020 kx450f’s. And a few of our friends have Yz450f’s.

I think everyone covered it, it ultimately comes down to personal preference and riding style.

Here’s my opinion for what’s it worth. I’m. Vet rider

Riding style: yz is more planted and the front end tracts better. Kawi is still a bit rear steering, which can be a good or bad thing, again depends on your riding style.

chassis: I’m 5’11 and I prefer the slim layout of the kawi and the peg adjustability. I always have to put lowering pegs on my Yamaha’s.

Engine: both can be adjusted obviously; but Kawi is more user friendly in general

Cornering: see riding style, but in general I find the kawi is easier to lay down in the corners due to the lighter weight

Other: the one thing I hate about kawis is the bolts strip so easy - every one I have ever owned is like this, drives me nuts

Durability: probably give the nod to Yamaha, but my friends out hundreds of hours on their kawis, so they’re good too.

That was absolutely no help lol.

Bottom line both are great choices, ride them and pick the one that feels the best to you.

yamaha2000
3/12/2021 3:49am
I’ve ridden both. The yamaha has great suspension but definitely feels like a bigger and heavier bike. Kawi has a much smoother motor and has a better cockpit feel. Both are great but I’d go green, and that’s coming from a guy thats been on yz 2 strokes for about 6 years now.
DB505
3/12/2021 9:19am
racerx217 wrote:
So here it goes, Everyone that currently has a YZ is going to tell you to get the Yamaha. Everyone that currently has a KX is...
So here it goes,
Everyone that currently has a YZ is going to tell you to get the Yamaha.
Everyone that currently has a KX is going to tell you to get the Kawasaki.
Buy whichever one you can get cheaper. Invest the savings into hookers and blow.
JBecker 72 wrote:
I currently have a KX450 and am going to a YZ250F Tongue
I too have desided to go with a 250, a 250t! I really like my kx450, but I just want to go back to 2t, so the KX is for sale lol

Post a reply to: Which 450, YZ or KX?

The Latest