Which 450, YZ or KX?

Braaaphole
Edited Date/Time 3/12/2021 9:20am
I'm looking at getting a new 450 this summer and have narrowed it down to the Yamaha and Kawi, I have ridden neither. I'm a long time Honda guy, but have been on KTM/Husky since 2017. I want to try something different and make a run at Loretta's in the 40+ class next year.
I really like the technology in the Yamaha with the maps being adjustable in the app, both have really good suspension. Lots of pros to either and not very many cons. And feedback from people who have ridden both?
|
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
2/25/2021 11:38am
Dony get the Yamaha if you are going to ride pro supercross. Everyone on here says the bike is unrideable. Kidding
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
2/25/2021 11:53am
I'd say listen to your heart.
EngIceDave
2/25/2021 11:54am
Which brand has a local dealer that can offer the most support?
Not free or sponsorship, but is known for having parts and knowledgable people on hand to help with issues?

That's who you choose

The Shop

2/25/2021 11:55am
How tall are you? The Kawi is a lot more friendly for taller riders.
Braaaphole
2/25/2021 12:21pm
Asselstine wrote:
How tall are you? The Kawi is a lot more friendly for taller riders.
6ft

As far as the local dealer, not much support for either brand here and both are sold at the same dealer. Honestly, I'd probably be looking at going up to Dallas or Oklahoma to get a good deal. Even considering getting one from EBR and Rock River. Shipping is pretty cheap on bikes if the deal is good.
JT Moto
2/25/2021 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 12:50pm
Braaaphole wrote:
6ft As far as the local dealer, not much support for either brand here and both are sold at the same dealer. Honestly, I'd probably be...
6ft

As far as the local dealer, not much support for either brand here and both are sold at the same dealer. Honestly, I'd probably be looking at going up to Dallas or Oklahoma to get a good deal. Even considering getting one from EBR and Rock River. Shipping is pretty cheap on bikes if the deal is good.
Says every dude that will drive an additional 200 miles to save $100. If you would actually BUY a bike at your local dealer you would find out they are willing to offer a ton of support in a lot of different ways.
Damn. SMH.
mxb2
2/25/2021 12:46pm
Braaaphole wrote:
6ft As far as the local dealer, not much support for either brand here and both are sold at the same dealer. Honestly, I'd probably be...
6ft

JT Moto wrote:
Says every dude that will drive an additional 200 miles to save $100. If you would actually BUY a bike at your local dealer you would...
Says every dude that will drive an additional 200 miles to save $100. If you would actually BUY a bike at your local dealer you would find out they are willing to offer a ton of support in a lot of different ways.
Damn. SMH.
Bingo, factor in time $, fuel $. Etc.
kNewc
2/25/2021 12:50pm
KX for the cockpit adaptability and hydro clutch. YZ for the app. What's your thoughts?
2/25/2021 12:55pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 12:57pm
If you want to go by what other people think, the KX won pretty much every shootout this year. You’d be way better off finding buddies at the track that will let you ride them yourself so you can see which one YOU like better.
At 6 foot, I bet you’d like the layout and adjustability of the KX better, but you really ought to try to take a spin on both.
JBecker 72
2/25/2021 12:58pm
Braaaphole wrote:
6ft

JT Moto wrote:
Says every dude that will drive an additional 200 miles to save $100. If you would actually BUY a bike at your local dealer you would...
Damn. SMH.
My local dealer wants $9900 out the door for a 21 YZ250F. Won’t even budge on price. A dealer in WV is getting my business at $7700. I’d pay more within reason to support the local guy. But I’m not made of money and I don’t really want to support the place trying to sell me a bike at full sticker, plus $1000 in fees, and then sales tax on top.
mxb2
2/25/2021 1:17pm
Braaaphole wrote:
6ft

JT Moto wrote:
Damn. SMH.
JBecker 72 wrote:
My local dealer wants $9900 out the door for a 21 YZ250F. Won’t even budge on price. A dealer in WV is getting my business at...
My local dealer wants $9900 out the door for a 21 YZ250F. Won’t even budge on price. A dealer in WV is getting my business at $7700. I’d pay more within reason to support the local guy. But I’m not made of money and I don’t really want to support the place trying to sell me a bike at full sticker, plus $1000 in fees, and then sales tax on top.
$2200 savings is worth the drive. . Long drives to save a few hundred isnt.
kylemenz1
Fantasy
933rd
2/25/2021 1:43pm
Braaaphole wrote:
6ft

JT Moto wrote:
Damn. SMH.
Here’s the issue with “dealers”...they suck! I support local small mom and pop shops that offer parts and repairs. Herring support from a “dealer” is like getting support from the local Mercedes dealership. Over priced!

I tried and tried to support local dealers. But when they have to order a spark plug for a PW50 that takes a week to get to the shop and I’ve got to pay premium and shipping it’s not worth it. I can have it shipped to my front door in a day. I can have “real” shops work on the stuff I cannot do myself. All these 100,000 sq ft dealerships have lost touch with the reality of the sport.

I like the Kawasaki
gristle568
2/25/2021 2:05pm
Both are solid choices. I was in the same boat last year and went with the yz and couldn’t be happier. The WiFi tuner is what made me choose the yz and the fact that I don’t like the feel of hydraulic clutches. The kawi does feel a little more nimble but the yami has better stability. Cant go wrong with either.
Timo
2/25/2021 2:13pm
EngIceDave wrote:
Which brand has a local dealer that can offer the most support? Not free or sponsorship, but is known for having parts and knowledgable people on...
Which brand has a local dealer that can offer the most support?
Not free or sponsorship, but is known for having parts and knowledgable people on hand to help with issues?

That's who you choose
Does anyone really need support from their local dealers anymore? The only time I go to a dealer is to buy a bike, otherwise it's just ordering parts online. Local dealers don't have anything in stock, and it seems like a week or two is always the lead time.
Brent
2/25/2021 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 2:34pm
I can only speak to the 2021 YZ 450.

I got to ride one at the Yamaha Demo days last Sunday.

First, the KYB SSS stock fork is the best front suspension I have ever ridden. I spent over two grand on my WP Xact fork, and the stock Yamaha fork blows it away, and it was not even set up for me. It sucked up the braking chop and acceleration bumps extremely well. It actually pissed me off with how good it is.

The shock was not nearly as plush as the fork, but again it wasn't set up for me at all.

The motor is extremely aggressive on map 1. I'm used to smooth power of a KTM, and the YZ is so damn powerful on the bottom it just pulls like crazy. Most powerful 450 I've ever ridden. I sort of got used to the power after a few laps,, but this is not a bike for people afraid to twist the throttle. I just had to blip the throttle in 3rd and I OJ'ed a 85 foot double - like flat landed it.

The bike feels heavy as compared to my 2021 KTM 450, there is a fair amount of weight up high, and it doesn't like to turn or get into ruts as easily as my bike. Again, this could be lack of set up, but you can sure feel how much it weighs.

If they could get the weight down a little I would buy one in a heartbeat just for the fork and the motor.

JT Moto
2/25/2021 2:48pm
kiwifan wrote:
KX for sure imho
Does your dealer have you on one?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
2/25/2021 3:06pm
If you go with the Yamaha I hear the hot setup is 20 mm offset clamps and a steering damper
Meister
2/25/2021 5:05pm
Man, it's all personal preference. Just sit on each n pick the one that feels the best. I just went through the process of choosing a new 450 for +30 (+35)... I wanted to like the yam, but just sitting on it reminded me of the fat bch 14 I had and I hate how huge they felt then, and still feel that way today.

Ultimately, I chose to stick the red route, but man was I ever close to pulling th trigger on the kx. It feels good, can't be bad kinda thing.. I am very happy with my decision to stay red as I absolutely love the way my 21we feels in every aspect. It's just very confidence inspiring, for ME. However, there is part of me that wishes ida tried something new and went with the kx.. Maybe next time..

Simply put, id choose the kx out of your two choices, without a doubt. I think the yam suspension is over rated, it's a pig (not talking weight, just feels like a clydesdale vs a quarter horse), and I wanted hydro clutch. Kx suspension is good with springs, has hydro, rider triangle felt good, plus team green. Kx seems more honda'ish in most aspects, so it may put you right at home right off the rip.
Wildeye511
2/25/2021 5:07pm
Leeham wrote:
Dony get the Yamaha if you are going to ride pro supercross. Everyone on here says the bike is unrideable. Kidding
Damn, you beat me to it LOL
2/25/2021 5:11pm
Cant go wrong with either, I personally chose the kx because it feels way less bulky, love the power delivery of both, The KX just felt more flickable to me, You can re-map ignition revalve suspension But you can never make the Yamaha not bulky feeling
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
2/25/2021 5:12pm
Get the kawi there contingency is better from what I’ve heard if racing alot
racerx217
2/25/2021 5:18pm
So here it goes,
Everyone that currently has a YZ is going to tell you to get the Yamaha.
Everyone that currently has a KX is going to tell you to get the Kawasaki.
Buy whichever one you can get cheaper. Invest the savings into hookers and blow.
beamer
2/25/2021 5:23pm
Both are incredible bikes. I own the Kawi and would (and will) buy another in a heart beat. Rode a friends YZ a few times and it’s awesome as well. What color do you like ?
Goofy Foot
2/25/2021 5:31pm
Well you are just going to have to decide what you like better...a blue pig or sick cow?
JBecker 72
2/25/2021 5:44pm
racerx217 wrote:
So here it goes, Everyone that currently has a YZ is going to tell you to get the Yamaha. Everyone that currently has a KX is...
So here it goes,
Buy whichever one you can get cheaper. Invest the savings into hookers and blow.
I currently have a KX450 and am going to a YZ250F Tongue
Monk
2/25/2021 6:14pm
Buy a good torque wrench if you buy a KX.
Meister
2/25/2021 6:34pm
racerx217 wrote:
So here it goes, Everyone that currently has a YZ is going to tell you to get the Yamaha. Everyone that currently has a KX is...
So here it goes,
I bought a honda, but recommended that he go green. Gotta count for something lol.

Post a reply to: Which 450, YZ or KX?

The Latest