Which 350SXF upgrades would you go with, and why?

The_Diablo
Fantasy
1678th
11/27/2018 10:03am
2016 FC350 here. 2017 AER forks with MX-Tech Lucky system, including Huck valves Neken SFS clamps (I run 125 psi) 14/52 gearing (DDC rear sprocket) Dunlop...
2016 FC350 here.

2017 AER forks with MX-Tech Lucky system, including Huck valves
Neken SFS clamps (I run 125 psi)
14/52 gearing (DDC rear sprocket)
Dunlop MX33 front/MX12 or MX33 rear on a separate stock rim
Braking rotors
Rekluse Radius CX clutch
ECU remap
WPS featherweight battery (Starts fine in ~30* weather)
Full FMF exhaust with the SX header (I also have the MX header, but there is more bottom end with the SX version)
No Toil air filter cage (same as 2-stroke version)
Drilled holes in both number plates, and trimmed the airbox for more air
VP T4 fuel
TM Designworks chain guide and slider
Raptor titanium foot pegs

Next on my list is the Thumper Racing 380cc kit and a re-tune.
How do you like the lucky fork cartridges? I haven't seen many reviews on them.
MotoMatt_928
11/27/2018 10:52am
The_Diablo wrote:
How do you like the lucky fork cartridges? I haven't seen many reviews on them.
I love them. Honestly, probably the best modification I have done to the bike. I hated the 4CS, so I went to the AER, then MX-Tech's A48-R, then finally settled on the Lucky system. It is within 0.5lbs of the air fork, so you still have that light front end feel, but then it has the solid and supple feel of a spring fork. The bottoming control from the Huck valve makes it so smooth whether you are on braking bumps or high speed chop. Absolutely well worth the $900, especially when you see the prices of Cone Valve forks. I've ridden Cone Valve forks, and these are very, very close.
bents
Fantasy
710th
11/27/2018 11:58am
2016 FC350 here. 2017 AER forks with MX-Tech Lucky system, including Huck valves Neken SFS clamps (I run 125 psi) 14/52 gearing (DDC rear sprocket) Dunlop...
2016 FC350 here.

2017 AER forks with MX-Tech Lucky system, including Huck valves
Neken SFS clamps (I run 125 psi)
14/52 gearing (DDC rear sprocket)
Dunlop MX33 front/MX12 or MX33 rear on a separate stock rim
Braking rotors
Rekluse Radius CX clutch
ECU remap
WPS featherweight battery (Starts fine in ~30* weather)
Full FMF exhaust with the SX header (I also have the MX header, but there is more bottom end with the SX version)
No Toil air filter cage (same as 2-stroke version)
Drilled holes in both number plates, and trimmed the airbox for more air
VP T4 fuel
TM Designworks chain guide and slider
Raptor titanium foot pegs

Next on my list is the Thumper Racing 380cc kit and a re-tune.
I am ignorant as to getting a re-map. Say I follow the same modifications as you on my 2018 Husky 350. How does the re-map work? Does company X send you an aftermarket ignition already pre-set so you just install it (Twisted Development and Vortex for example). If it seems like a stupid question, so be it. Enlighten me, anyone.

And, are as a big a fan of the Recluse as everyone seems to be? Do you ride mainly moto?

Thanks.
MotoMatt_928
11/27/2018 12:24pm
bents wrote:
I am ignorant as to getting a re-map. Say I follow the same modifications as you on my 2018 Husky 350. How does the re-map work...
I am ignorant as to getting a re-map. Say I follow the same modifications as you on my 2018 Husky 350. How does the re-map work? Does company X send you an aftermarket ignition already pre-set so you just install it (Twisted Development and Vortex for example). If it seems like a stupid question, so be it. Enlighten me, anyone.

And, are as a big a fan of the Recluse as everyone seems to be? Do you ride mainly moto?

Thanks.
There are a few ways to do it... Mail your stock ECU to a company who can re-flash it using the KTM/Husky software. Purchase a pre-programmed unit from a company like Vortex or GET (you give them your list of mods) and install it on your bike. Or a combination of one of the two above, and take it to a shop that can dyno tune it on their machine. I mailed my stock one in, but will be purchasing the Vortex unit and having a shop here in Florida (TLR) to dyno tune it after doing my head porting and 380 kit. I did not do anything radical to mine, except for the airbox mods, exhaust, and fuel, so I saved the cash until I decided to make the motor mods.

The Rekluse is great! I had the Core EXP 3.0, and then upgraded to the Radius CX when that came out. I ride moto mainly, but do my fair share of offroad trail riding as well. It works like a stock clutch when you need it to (on the starting gate, or clutching it in a turn), but it never stalls out. Great torque delivery, consistent performance, and longer clutch life.

The Shop

bents
Fantasy
710th
11/27/2018 12:41pm
Thanks Matt-good info.
Hotwhls
11/27/2018 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 1:50pm
I have a 17 350sxf with just a muffler FMF. I will upgrade the pipe later. I am curious if I send the ECU out to a place like Tokyo Mods how much of a difference does this make in the bike? I can feel the difference from map 1 and 2 but will this be even more aggressive than map 2 if I chose the sx map tune.
Monk
11/27/2018 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 3:21pm
Dedicated offroad guy with a 16 350xcf

FMF Ti/Carbon slip-on, Stock header
KTM/Husky fuel rail
Ricky Stator HO stator
Anti-Gravity AG-801 Battery
Dal Soggio Sphere inserts in 4cs forks
AER forks (I switch back and forth between the 2)
MX-TECH 'Tank' bladder, MX-TECH Triple Adjuster
X-trig
Ride Engineering Clamp with Honda HPSD
Ride Engineering Bar Mount
Ride Engineering Axle Blocks with Honda Axle
Michelin Starcross 5 'Soft' 120/90/18
GoldenTyre GT216AAHB 90/90/21
TireBalls front/rear
IMS 2.8g 'Race Spec' Fuel tank
TrailTech fan
13t CSS/50t rear (Renthal)
Rekluse 3.0
ZETA folding levers
Stock KTM flag handguards
KTM step seat
Rotella 15/40 non synthetic since day one
Motul 660 Brake fluid
Dirttrix solid rear rotor
DID X-Ring
TPS adjustment
Black Quick Throttle Cam
*most important, a street legal title*

Most of these mods have and will be transferred onto my new Husqvarna FX350.

mwr
11/27/2018 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 3:47pm
Go for a rider upgrade first, last and always. No matter how much you spend, a faster guy will still be.
mx317
11/27/2018 4:05pm
mwr wrote:
Go for a rider upgrade first, last and always. No matter how much you spend, a faster guy will still be.
No shit Sherlock! You have really added to this thread.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/27/2018 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 9:25pm
Hotwhls wrote:
I have a 17 350sxf with just a muffler FMF. I will upgrade the pipe later. I am curious if I send the ECU out to...
I have a 17 350sxf with just a muffler FMF. I will upgrade the pipe later. I am curious if I send the ECU out to a place like Tokyo Mods how much of a difference does this make in the bike? I can feel the difference from map 1 and 2 but will this be even more aggressive than map 2 if I chose the sx map tune.
Yes there is a noticeable difference.

Here's an article written by Mike Sleeter, ex-KTM test rider and now TransworldMX test rider about Twisted Development remapping:
https://mytwowheellife.com/mytwowheellife/2018/11/26/twisted-devolpment…
mwr
11/27/2018 5:21pm
mwr wrote:
mx317 wrote:
Sorry. Please resume talking about ti bolts and useless coatings and sticker kits and whatever else it is you people do around here.
bents
Fantasy
710th
11/27/2018 8:22pm
mwr wrote:
mx317 wrote:
mwr wrote:
Sorry. Please resume talking about ti bolts and useless coatings and sticker kits and whatever else it is you people do around here.
Dude, we are all (well, most) enthusiasts on this site and love messing and changing our bikes to suit us, and yes, add bling and other useless shit that does not make us faster. That is hardly ever the point. I'm pretty sure everyone on here does everything they can to hang on to their bikes despite all the other shit going on in their lives, and it is our one pleasure and recreational release. Go buy yourself a sticker kit and join the party!
Tonynz
11/27/2018 11:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2018 11:24pm
mwr wrote:
mx317 wrote:
mwr wrote:
Must be an Auckland thing, I had better warn my son to be careful when shifts to Auckland in January ?
Flipsid33
11/28/2018 3:12pm
Luxon MX wrote:
That's too bad. We actually don't sell our link direct for this reason; we sell it through N2Dirt Suspension as they also offer the appropriate revalve...
That's too bad. We actually don't sell our link direct for this reason; we sell it through N2Dirt Suspension as they also offer the appropriate revalve and springs.

The PC link has essentially the same curve as ours, but it ramps up a little later and a little bit more aggressively.
tek14 wrote:
Hey can you give direction you go with revalve 17/18/19? I had PC on my 17 and was really happy with it, we just added heavier...
Hey can you give direction you go with revalve 17/18/19? I had PC on my 17 and was really happy with it, we just added heavier spring and later little more rebound damping during service. Im planning bolt it to my new 19 model but havent just got time to do it and was wondering how much stock shock setup changed from 17 model.
The 17 model had single stage compression stack. The 19 is 2 stage. Both will be on the soft side with the different linkage.
tp311
11/28/2018 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 6:06pm
Anyone with a direct comparison of the vortex vs a tokyo mods/twisted stock ignition remap? 100 vs 700, worth the extra 600 bucks?
crockett
11/29/2018 10:52am
That sleeter write up was pretty smelly of a paid ad.
Said the bike was completely different and only fun to ride after the remap.. ok pal.
I want to do a ecu remap myself, mostly because the machine is capable of being better, not because it isn’t good already.
The bike has plenty of power, but I can afford to make the bike better so why not.
Not a fan when guys do write ups making the bike sound no good without some of these upgrades. Too salesmany for me.
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
11/29/2018 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 5:09pm
crockett wrote:
That sleeter write up was pretty smelly of a paid ad. Said the bike was completely different and only fun to ride after the remap.. ok...
Said the bike was completely different and only fun to ride after the remap.. ok pal.
I want to do a ecu remap myself, mostly because the machine is capable of being better, not because it isn’t good already.
The bike has plenty of power, but I can afford to make the bike better so why not.
Not a fan when guys do write ups making the bike sound no good without some of these upgrades. Too salesmany for me.
Which write up is this?
Shawn142
11/30/2018 5:11pm
crockett wrote:
That sleeter write up was pretty smelly of a paid ad. Said the bike was completely different and only fun to ride after the remap.. ok...
Doesn't Sleeter work for KTM and their amateur racing program? I would think he has nothing but good things to say about KTM.
mx317
11/30/2018 6:50pm
crockett wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
Doesn't Sleeter work for KTM and their amateur racing program? I would think he has nothing but good things to say about KTM.
I don't think he does anymore. 100% maybe?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/30/2018 9:03pm
crockett wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
mx317 wrote:
I don't think he does anymore. 100% maybe?
He doesn’t work for KTM any more. As he wrote in the article he did do all the testing on the bike before production though.

Jrewing
12/1/2018 3:27am
crockett wrote:
I took it he was pissed at them for making it doughy, and that hurt it at the shootouts.
I’m buying a 19 350 on Monday and I’m keeoing it stock. The thing was impressive stock. Balance, traction the highlights.
The_Diablo
Fantasy
1678th
12/1/2018 8:13am
crockett wrote:
I put a twisted development tuned vortex on my rockstar husky, and the difference it made was pretty crazy. Really woke up the bottom end and smothed out the power all the way to the top. The stock mapping on that bike was crap. Tons of power now, but very rideable.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/1/2018 8:33am
crockett wrote:
The_Diablo wrote:
I put a twisted development tuned vortex on my rockstar husky, and the difference it made was pretty crazy. Really woke up the bottom end and...
I put a twisted development tuned vortex on my rockstar husky, and the difference it made was pretty crazy. Really woke up the bottom end and smothed out the power all the way to the top. The stock mapping on that bike was crap. Tons of power now, but very rideable.
It’s one of those things you have to try to believe. It’s funny now riding any stock bike I always think about how it would ride if someone found a way to improve the mapping.
Bennett59
12/1/2018 9:53am
crockett wrote:
The_Diablo wrote:
I put a twisted development tuned vortex on my rockstar husky, and the difference it made was pretty crazy. Really woke up the bottom end and...
It’s one of those things you have to try to believe. It’s funny now riding any stock bike I always think about how it would ride...
It’s one of those things you have to try to believe. It’s funny now riding any stock bike I always think about how it would ride if someone found a way to improve the mapping.
I wish I would remapped my 16 350 I probably would have liked it a lot more, on my 17 Crf450R the stock mapping is so jerkey, cruising through pits it would constant on off trying to just cruise. Had the stock remap by Tokyo and took that away and on the track was way better also
The moto lab
12/1/2018 12:46pm
A remap on my dyno is at least a 2hp gain with a vortex with out of the box map at least .75 more. Lots of good setups out there but one I recently did for a guy looking for more low end and mid had William's sx cams, r&d genius throttle body with vortex ecu, fmf sx pipe with 4.1 muffler, modified air box and t 4 fuel. Made 57hp peak and lots more low to mid. Digger rode it and said it was as lost too responsive off idle. That's with stock piston and head ,so far from a full tilt unreliable setup. Oh, nihilo manual cam chsin tensioner slso.
opyguy
12/1/2018 1:36pm
A remap on my dyno is at least a 2hp gain with a vortex with out of the box map at least .75 more. Lots of...
A remap on my dyno is at least a 2hp gain with a vortex with out of the box map at least .75 more. Lots of good setups out there but one I recently did for a guy looking for more low end and mid had William's sx cams, r&d genius throttle body with vortex ecu, fmf sx pipe with 4.1 muffler, modified air box and t 4 fuel. Made 57hp peak and lots more low to mid. Digger rode it and said it was as lost too responsive off idle. That's with stock piston and head ,so far from a full tilt unreliable setup. Oh, nihilo manual cam chsin tensioner slso.
I hear your a good local tuner, any tips for or preferred mods for newer 250 SX?
The moto lab
12/1/2018 2:00pm
A remap on my dyno is at least a 2hp gain with a vortex with out of the box map at least .75 more. Lots of...
opyguy wrote:
I hear your a good local tuner, any tips for or preferred mods for newer 250 SX?
The 2 stroke? 50hp is easy with those. I did one with a PC pipe and silencer, head mod and tuning on vp t2 and was over 50. Cyl porting will get some more and extend the top end which is the main complaint of faster guys.
Gandorlf
12/2/2018 12:51pm
If you want a faster 350, why not take the plunge and and buy the 450?

Post a reply to: Which 350SXF upgrades would you go with, and why?

The Latest